Project Conflict

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Project Conflict

Post Oct 5th '17, 20:01

conflict.jpg

Project Conflict is inspired by a Marathon 1 scenario called Marauder Second Encounter and provides a deathmatch environment with hostile Marines wielding standard weapons.

Thanks to Pfhorums member Flowers for helping get this released.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnr3oblf7hgut ... 2.zip?dl=0
Last edited by RadBurn on Oct 7th '17, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

RadBurn

Post Oct 5th '17, 23:48

This is pretty cool. I like to play very short games offline, and this is perfect for that. Easy enough for a quick diversion, and hard enough to keep things interesting. Nice job.
baudrillardboy

Post Oct 6th '17, 09:37

Any plans on putting this up on Simplici7y? http://simplici7y.com/

JohannesG

Post Oct 6th '17, 18:41

madds.jpg

Yes, we intend to get this on simplici7y. We are currently tuning, testing, and clearing up some issues. MADDs from Marathon 1 will also make an appearance in the next release.

RadBurn

Post Oct 7th '17, 14:17

rocket.jpg
madd_ar.jpg
fusion.jpg
I encountered a bug trying to submit this to Simplici7y so I'll post the download here instead. Added MADDs and existing maps reworked to include them. Physics merged with maps for convenience.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnr3oblf7hgut ... 2.zip?dl=0

RadBurn

Post Oct 10th '17, 10:01

That was fun. Nice to see my shotgun sequence idea in action ;-) And it's fun getting punched to death!

Had a weird issue in Vulcan where I kept getting stuck in a void, towards the large end of the big hall with the juggernaut.

Have you considered giving the enemies no flinch sequence, so like you they don't stop firing when fired upon? Maybe some duplicates with different health (as if they had picked up a 2x or 3x cannister). I think it'd be fun for the fist dudes to have 3x! I split the map to try that and check some things out in your physics, but for some reason Anvil won't open them.

ravenshining

Post Oct 10th '17, 13:19

ravenshining wrote:Have you considered giving the enemies no flinch sequence, so like you they don't stop firing when fired upon? I think it'd be fun for the fist dudes to have 3x! I split the map to try that and check some things out in your physics, but for some reason Anvil won't open them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9y8c88kkbjhb ... h.zip?dl=0
Here is an unmerged physics model with no flinch animations. The fist marine has his health increased some and a strange bug with the MADDs has been fixed ( but not tested yet ).

I'll look into Vulcan later but no promises.

RadBurn

Post Oct 10th '17, 16:33

I don't know if you've looked into this yet, but in Delusions of Grandeur there are a couple polys that need to be marked monster and item impassable. In particular I noticed a lot of enemies spawning and getting stuck in the pattern buffer ledges near the middle of the map, as well as in the area under the staircase in the tower area.
baudrillardboy

Post Oct 11th '17, 22:02

That one wouldn't open either, until I opened it up in a hex editor side-by-side with a clean one and noticed a bunch of junk at the beginning and end of the file. Maybe that's a weird byproduct of copying it from my ext4 partition to an HFS image from within Basillisk II and then adding type and creator codes with Resourcer.

Yes, the flinchless Marines are much more challenging and closer to netplay than the flinching ones, and I like how the fist Marines can now take a rocket hit.

I'm noticing a bug where if a Marine gets up close to it's target (whether that's you or another Marine or a MADD) they will stop attacking. I don't know if that's with A1 or some particularity of the physics but I'm not sure why that happens.

I made some tweaks for my own fun
-Alien Weapon Marines have a short-range attack to mimic you holding down both triggers
-Fist Marines have increased Dark Visual Range and throw bouncy grenades
-Pistol, AR, Shotgun, and Alien Weapon Marines have reduced Dark Visual Range
-Fusion, SMG, and AR Marines use sniper ledges
-Pistol Marines stay with clear shot
-Fist, Fusion, and SMG Marines are not afraid of water or sewage (in case future maps incorporate them...)
-All Marines have drop ammo and have chatter and/or reloading sounds, with varied pitches.
-MADDs have electronic chatter

RadBurn wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9y8c88kkbjhb ... h.zip?dl=0
Here is an unmerged physics model with no flinch animations. The fist marine has his health increased some and a strange bug with the MADDs has been fixed ( but not tested yet ).

I'll look into Vulcan later but no promises.
Attachments
Conflict_No_Flinch.phyA_1.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

ravenshining

Post Oct 12th '17, 00:34

ravenshining wrote:That one wouldn't open either, until I opened it up in a hex editor side-by-side with a clean one and noticed a bunch of junk at the beginning and end of the file. Maybe that's a weird byproduct of copying it from my ext4 partition to an HFS image from within Basillisk II and then adding type and creator codes with Resourcer.

The .zip attached below contains a .sit inside. Hopefully this solution works.

ravenshining wrote:Yes, the flinchless Marines are much more challenging and closer to netplay than the flinching ones, and I like how the fist Marines can now take a rocket hit.

The Marines glitch when I play with flinchless. They glide on ice and stop attacking after entering their flinchless state. I even reverted to an older physics model to test out flinchless but no luck for me.

ravenshining wrote:I'm noticing a bug where if a Marine gets up close to it's target (whether that's you or another Marine or a MADD) they will stop attacking. I don't know if that's with A1 or some particularity of the physics but I'm not sure why that happens.

This looks like a problem with the Dx origin of attack for the Marines. I first noticed this with the MADDs but now I see it frequently. The .zip attached below contains a modified physics model that sets all Marines attack origins Dx to zero. This "in yo face" glitch appears fixed using this new physics model. However, I'm assuming that as long as the Dx stays within the radius of the Marine then the glitch should never occur.

ravenshining wrote:I made some tweaks for my own fun

I'd love to see where someone else could take this project. Make it your own and have fun with it! I really dig the alien weapon idea btw.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dun87u922qcr1 ... 6.zip?dl=0

RadBurn

Post Oct 12th '17, 10:56

You know where this could be useful?

There is surprisingly good news planetside: nine military Mjolnir
Mark IV cyborgs were covertly living among the
colonists, and acting together they were able to
single-handedly turn back the latter stages of the Pfhor
assault. Casualties on the colony were nowhere near as high
as those we experienced here on the Marathon.

I've been working on a redacted thing that could involve the above events if people joined in. Granted, those would need M1 sprites, but then again...

'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)
Notably Unstable,
Durandal

ravenshining

Post Oct 16th '17, 02:36

Was there ever mention of an AI among the planetside colonists? I'm wondering about story delivery via terminals. Would there be a narrative like Blake or like Leela? How would you handle the nine cyborgs being a part of the story?

RadBurn

Post Oct 16th '17, 06:50

RadBurn wrote:Was there ever mention of an AI among the planetside colonists?

Not that I know of, although it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine they had an AI of some sort. Whether it was as smart or advanced as the three Marathon artificial intelligences, I can't say. You could make a scenario that instead takes place on Earth. Keep in mind we've been gone from Earth for roughly 300 years, so it's a possibility that military cyborgs have become commonplace and you could be fighting alongside them in defense of a Pfhor invasion. Although, I wouldn't know how to write a story around that, considering Earth is never actually invaded in the main story.

Flowers

Post Oct 16th '17, 08:46

It could be the best AIs are down on the colony and who we meet on the Marathon are the leftovers. The colony was established seven years before the events of Marathon, surely at least one AI had been transferred down to the colony, perhaps three - there were six AIs on Mars.

On the other hand, whenever we hear communication with the colony, it's always with the "colony station," "spaceport," "colonists," or "cyborgs." If only one AI was down there, it may have been obliterated along with the spaceport.

Regardless of who or what is surviving on the colony, it'd be possible to recieve instructions from one of the shipboard AIs. Probably only Durandal could teleport you to the colony, and only after the S'pht teach him about teleportation techniques (because otherwise why would you use a shuttle?) but anyone could communicate with you - maybe even Tycho - and anyone could teleport you back if Durandal is kind enough to share the secrets of teleportation.

Oooh. If you're in contact with Tycho on the colony, that could be a great setup for the Tycho-aligned Infinity timelines. Somehow you piss off Durandal in the process of taking over the Pfhor ship, so he dumps you on the colony and in the hands of supposedly-inoperable Tycho instead of back on the Marathon with the more sane Leela. Then Tycho wins you over by helping you save the colony before whisking you off to help save the Pfhor...

I am now in contact with a number of colonists planetside, but
their reports on the situation below are conflicting and
obviously exaggerated. The primary medium-range radio antenna
has been disabled or destroyed, which makes communication
extremely difficult.

The only thing which seems clear is that the spaceport was
obliterated by low-yield nuclear weapons minutes after the
attack on the Marathon began. This I can verify through my
own optical instruments.

ravenshining

Post Oct 17th '17, 03:57

Yannow, I actually have an AI character who acted as colony supervisor; she only survived the bombardments and evaded the Pfhor because her core was kept miles underground. Figured this was the best way to put an AI on Tau Ceti without disrupting canon too much.

Sorta going off ravenshining's idea for Tycho: if you wanted to write your own alternate timeline, you could have Tycho and Leela band together with the colony AI(s) and chase down Durandal (presumably after getting the colonists back to Earth 'n Mars first). Remember how Tycho's claim in M1 that he and Leela would tag-team Durandal never really went anywhere?

(Maybe, to avoid retreading M2, they actually intercept him near some unknown world en route to Lh'owon?)
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Return to Projects