Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Sep 24th '18, 09:41

About to post another video of “She Is the Dark One”. I had a couple of cock-ups, mostly texturing-related, plus apparently not realising that one of the Tick slots actually contains the Wasp, but apart from that, I’m mostly satisfied with how things turned out. I’ll fix the texturing issues and probably upload the level after that.

Is “S’pht Happens” supposed to open with two Cyborgs in the opening room? ’Cause, uh, that’s borderline impossible.

ETA: Added attachment. Make sure to change the media fog script for this level from 10012 to 10014. I still have several more changes I want to make to it (including moving the Sewage and Water F’lickta to the Tiny Pfhor and Tiny Bob slots), but I need some sleep.
Attachments
23 She Is the Dark One.zip
(84.87 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 24th '18, 15:42

The Man wrote:Is “S’pht Happens” supposed to open with two Cyborgs in the opening room? ’Cause, uh, that’s borderline impossible.

I used the Cyborg slots for the badass stationary S'pht firing out the windows at the juggernauts. Sounds like my physics disappeared somewhere along the way, but I've got a backup

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 24th '18, 18:21

She Is the Dark One (latest 23 She Is the Dark One zip map on this topic and also the previous one(s)) crashes.
Scratch starting 24 She Is from the xv120b2 full map works but
Eternal xv120b2 start new game crashes with same log entry (see below).
It does appear to be the HD textures cause when I disable them, it works but it looks like Yuge.
Here's the Aleph One log entry:

Unhandled exception: std::bad_alloc (shell.cpp:381)

-------------------- Mon Sep 24 13:24:14 2018

Scratch starting Mohicans runs though.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Sep 24th '18, 18:45

That’s bizarre, and I don’t have the faintest idea what might be causing it. You are running the beta 2 shapes and so on, right? And does the version I posted yesterday also crash? Does the map still crash if you replace the physics with the old version of that? Having answers to those might help narrow down the problem somewhat.

I can’t get the HD textures to load on any map on my Dell, and IDK what causes that either. It works fine with the alpha 5 script, or at least it did with beta 1. I’m going to be fairly busy the next few days, but I’ll see if I can try a few other things when I have more free time.

Also it might be good to start noting physics changes in map annotations in dummy polygons so they don’t end up being overwritten again. Next time I revise “Dark One” I’ll do that noting whatever slots I put the F’lickta and their animations in when I’m finished reshuffling the enemies again, plus the changes I’ve made to the Ticks.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 24th '18, 18:53

Things like those cyborgs on S'pht Happens is why I'm trying to minimize level-by-level physics changes.

Sometimes we need to change something in ALL physics files across the entire scenario, and rather than make the change to every. single. file. i make the change to the master physics file and then make a bunch of copies of that for every segment of the game that needs different physics (like when monster allegiances change), make those little changes, and then make a bunch of copies of those segment-masters for the individual levels.

So I would prefer to just have the cyborgs on S'pht Happens changed to the regular Defenders.

Also, yeah, there is only one Tick that's used for the actual Tick, and the others are the Wasp and Looker. Like with the other two F'lick'ta being Hulks.

I guess it would be okay if, for the S'pht chapter as a whole, the Nightmare and Mothrid were changed to the other two F'lick'ta, but I would still generally prefer to just have the one kind of F'lick'ta. Maybe Eternal could feature a different-colored F'lick'ta than the other three, that combines features of all of them? Impervious to lava, not afraid of any media, throws dirt or mud, grey in color or something? It is thousands of years ago, maybe this species went extinct (or speciated) by the time of M2 or something.

Whatever physics changes are needed, for the Ticks or whatever -- there's been too much happening over the weekend for me to keep up -- in the end I'd like to get just one physics file with notes for what things I need to copy/paste out of it into the master physics file.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 24th '18, 18:59

That makes sense. Like I said, I do think logging physics changes in map annotations going forward is probably a good idea.

I actually do like the idea of an extinct species of F’lickta. I’d say go for that if someone can make good projectiles for them. When you have time, let me know what info you need and I’ll try to provide a sufficient rundown. I’ll also have to think on an appropriate colour for them.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 24th '18, 21:25

The color scheme used throughout Eternal is a tetrad approximating orange-green-azure-magenta plus grey (or black or white), and since the three standard F'lick'ta are orange, green, and a blueish color, that leaves either magenta (which doesn't seem like a great idea to me) and grey, so I would really go with grey.

It appears that color tables 3 and 4 are already a kind of grey F'lick'ta. Are those maybe from Infinity somewhere? Because I don't remember creating them. Maybe from the Electric Sheep levels? It looks like it would fit in there.

In any case, please go ahead and change the lava F'lick'ta on your end to use one of those color tables, and make them unafraid of any media, and leave their attack the same for now, and then just use that one kind of F'lick'ta throughout, and I'll refine the color tables and attacks for it later.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 24th '18, 23:31

So I've been trying to reread everything that's happened over the weekend, and in the process I fixed some things:

- The Human texture switches that were mistakenly overwritten with chargers
- Removed the stuck enforcer from The Living Receiver, and also added some more Bobs for gameplay balance
- Added some zone borders and triggers to make the last few monsters on My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse attack you and not just stand there while you kill them
- Fixed the master physics for the chapter 3 intro branch to make Defenders attack each other and the player again

I also updated the MML to let you carry multiple uplink chips because sure why not I don't mind.

I'm still super wiped out and disoriented from the hell that is my life lately so I'm not sure I followed the progress correctly, but Let Sleeping Gods Die, She Is The Dark One, and the Corporation maps are all still under development and not in a finished state yet, right? I'll wait until they're finished to take a look at them because I just don't have the time or energy to follow more closely and I trust you guys.

Thanks so much.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 25th '18, 01:19

Thanks.

Yeah, we haven’t finished everything in those three, though the two I’m working on (“Pissing on the Corporation” and “She Is the Dark One”) are pretty close. There are a couple cases of geometry I plan to spruce up in the former, and the latter just needs some physics changes and I might add a few more geothermal areas in the style of Lia’s. I won’t have time to get to those in the interim from now until Wednesday.

A couple things I’d request for beta 3 would be the addition of another sequence for a F’lickta melee attack, which should play a different sound (it actually does make a gameplay difference to know what kind of attack is coming, though it’s not been enough to derail any of my films so far) and the F’lickta rock just in case it becomes necessary. I might actually try to write a bit of Lua that randomly selects between the rock and lava attack for F’lickta ranged attacks. I think that would be a pretty cool way to differentiate the grey F’lickta from the variants in M2/∞.

I’m almost certain those extra colour tables are from Infinity, yes. I don’t remember the F’lickta actually showing up in the “Electric Sheep” levels but I think they might’ve been in “Whatever You Please” and/or “Eat the Path” and I can’t remember what they looked like in those.

Anyway I probably won’t have time to get to any of this stuff until Wednesday. I also intend to roll out a new Chronicles alpha on Wednesday but I think I’ll probably finally have time to do both of those then. Hope things get less exhausting for you. I’m getting pretty worn down myself at times, but I’m fairly sure I’ll manage.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 25th '18, 01:48

Sounds good. I'll see if I can get Erich to help with the F'lick'ta modifications.

My schedule this week, besides maybe fixing a texture bug tonight, is:
Tuesday - S'pht Happens
Wednesday - Eat S'pht And Die
Thursday - Second to Last of the Mohicans

Reading through the reviews tonight, it seems that Ryoko doesn't have much to say about the first or last that hasn't already been changed, and he didn't play Eat S'pht because that was in a failure branch then; Crater Creator didn't have much to say about any of them at all; and you've got a few comments that I'll look into fixing, then I guess I'll mostly just play through them looking for bugs and lighting/texturing to improve.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 25th '18, 07:23

S'pht Happens is going to need some *major* overhauling of the combat if we're dropping the Tower Defenders. A pity, I really loved that dynamic.

One thing I've been thinking in that regard, is that according to the S'pht archives in M2, after a protracted battle the S'pht were able to force the Pfhor to retreat and deploy radiological weapons. So, perhaps the Defenders ought to be slaughtering the Juggernauts, rather than the other way around.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 25th '18, 16:55

I was thinking of adding a lot more defenders to make the opening sequence easier, since Aaron commented in his review on how difficult it was. And there will still be defenders in the tower; I'm actually not clear why you needed to use a customer monsters for that, since defenders already keep with clear shot, so if they're set in the tower they should just sit there shooting so long as anything to shoot is in view.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 25th '18, 23:57

The two gray F'lickta color tables have blue and brown blood, respectively. I suspect they were meant to fill the remaining two variants, but were not used in any of the later versions I remember. The blue and green tables are definitely based on M2/Infinity, also unused. I'm not sure why any of them are still here, and I can remove them if needed.

Pfhorrest wrote:Maybe Eternal could feature a different-colored F'lick'ta than the other three, that combines features of all of them? Impervious to lava, not afraid of any media, throws dirt or mud, grey in color or something? It is thousands of years ago, maybe this species went extinct (or speciated) by the time of M2 or something.

The Man wrote:A couple things I’d request for beta 3 would be the addition of another sequence for a F’lickta melee attack, which should play a different sound (it actually does make a gameplay difference to know what kind of attack is coming, though it’s not been enough to derail any of my films so far) and the F’lickta rock just in case it becomes necessary. I might actually try to write a bit of Lua that randomly selects between the rock and lava attack for F’lickta ranged attacks. I think that would be a pretty cool way to differentiate the grey F’lickta from the variants in M2/∞.

Sounds good to me. Instead of fire or mud, what if they threw a unique projectile? Pathways Zombie bones or Ghoul rocks, maybe?

As for having different sequences/sounds for each of their attacks, the trilogy did this, but they seem to have been cut for Eternal. It looks like I started to add them back in and forgot to finish: a melee sequence is present in the latest Shapes file, but incomplete and unused. I'll get it working again once I know what we're doing with this new monster.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Sep 26th '18, 00:53

Ghoul rocks sound good to me! Or just the original rock back again would be fine too. Then grey and not afraid of any media and I think we’re good to go. Different sounds back and all that of course too.

Thanks!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 26th '18, 01:29

Pfhorrest wrote:I was thinking of adding a lot more defenders to make the opening sequence easier, since Aaron commented in his review on how difficult it was. And there will still be defenders in the tower; I'm actually not clear why you needed to use a customer monsters for that, since defenders already keep with clear shot, so if they're set in the tower they should just sit there shooting so long as anything to shoot is in view.

I suppose they could be confined via geometry instead of physics, which I'll happily do. Regular Defenders won't fire continuously like Tower Defenders, but perhaps Juggernauts can be weak to S'pht'Kr bolts. And regular defenders won't be as durable, but they could be infinitely spawning.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 26th '18, 06:28

I make some attempts at S'pht Happens myself tonight, but yeah maybe you could go try to perfect the monster behavior more than I was able to. I added a bunch of Defenders around the perimeter of the outside arena instead of making them infinitely respawn since we don't want the ones inside to be respawning. I tried to control the ones inside with some impassible polys and stuff but they really don't behave very well.

Besides that, I also doubled the number of Pfhor in the basements because Ryoko thought those parts of the level were slow, and I did a whole bunch of minor lighting and texturing improvements, so please make sure to grab the latest off of github when you make your revisions too.

Thanks!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 26th '18, 10:29

Right, maybe this weekend I'll mess with it and/or She is the Dark One if Aaron finishes that.

Let Sleeping Gods die is ready for testing, pull request is up.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 26th '18, 19:26

Gray F'lickta (Stone F'lickta? Ancestral F'lickta?) is complete, after spending most of my time wrestling with Eternal's weird color table behavior. I couldn't get the Ghoul rock to look very good, so I ended up going with a recolored mud projectile after all. (I still think bones would have been cool, whether or not that would make any sense)

Speaking of the projectile, I gave it a little speed boost (192 from 128) to make up for it being affected by gravity (and therefore a limited range, unlike the flame projectile). Both the original F'lickta projectiles had a speed of 128 though, so hopefully this doesn't negatively affect anything too much.

Earlier, I misremembered what the "flickmelee" sequence was used for, which was the detonation sound for the claw projectile. Regardless, I had forgotten to add their different attack sounds in, and that's finally been done here.

Download, based on v1.2.0b2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2j5xanh865xg ... s.zip?dl=0

Full list of changes:
Code: Select all
Eternal Shapes Changes:
• (11) F'lickta
 · Removed Color Tables 04-06. Edited table 03.
 · Re-Imported M2 F'lickta bitmaps, correcting colors throughout and removing graphical errors from bitmaps 86 and 88.
 · Added Bitmaps 107-111, and corresponding Frames.
 · Completed unfinished sequence "flickmelee", and added sequences "flickrock projectile", "flickrock detonation", and "flickmelee sound".

Eternal Physics Changes:
ALIENS:
• Lava F'lickta
 · Color Table changed from 2 to 4
 · Hard Dying sequence changed from 10 to -1
 · Hard Dead sequence changed from 11 to -1
 · Melee Attack sequence changed from 9 to 14
 · Flags:
  [√] Not Afraid of Water
  [√] Not Afraid of Sewage
  [√] Not Afraid of Lava (Already Checked)
  [√] Not Afraid of Goo
 · Immunities:
  [√] Lava (Already Checked)
  [√] Goo

EFFECTS:
• (63) Lava F'lickta Hit
 · Changed Color Table from 4 to 3

• (63) F'lickta Lava Glob Impact
 · Changed Collection from 4 to 11
 · Changed Color Table from 0 to 3
 · Changed Sequence from 36 to 16

SHOTS:
• F'lickta Lava Glob
 · Changed Collection from 4 to 11
 · Changed Color Table from 0 to 3
 · Changed Sequence from 33 to 15
 · Changed Damage Type from Flame to F'lickta Projectile
 · Changed Flyby Sound from F'lickta Lava Flyby to Enforcer Projectile Flyby
 · Changed Sound Pitch from 1.0 to 0.75
 · Changed Speed from 128 to 192
 · Flags:
  [√] Affected by half gravity

EDIT: Ignore the last bit about the Sounds file in the included changelog. The Sounds file is unchanged, but I forgot to update the log to reflect this.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Sep 26th '18, 21:08

awesome, thanks!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 27th '18, 06:39

Tonight I touched up "Eat S'pht". Neither Ryoko nor Crater Creator had comments on that level in their reviews, and the lighting and texturing looked fine, so I mostly did things Aaron suggested: turned the first two rechargers into just 2X instead of 3X, fixed up some broken sounds, and sped up some platforms.

I also noticed that Erich's removal of the unused F'lick'ta CLUTs changed the ID of the last Hulk clut, so I changed the master physics for chapter 4 where that CLUT is used to point at the new CLUT, which I moved to the now-unused Lava F'lick'ta location, which has the side-effect of putting all three Hulk CLUTs first followed by the now-only F'lick'ta CLUT. And I made some tweaks to that new F'lick'ta CLUT and to the Hulk CLUTs while I was at it too.

I also playtested Lia's updated to Let Sleeping Gods Die and merged that in.

And I fixed another texture bug I noticed last night.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 27th '18, 22:38

How were the lights? I admittedly put a LOT more effort into areas with major light sources (as in completely restructuring them) than I did to lava-only or terminal-only lighting, which I generally kept low. If you do any editing, I have the lights scaled so 20 is about 4%, since there's no miner's light. Also, the odd ceiling lights in the southern lava platform chamber control tides via platform movement, so don't mess with them.

Of the three platforms I put in to divert the player through the entirety of the level, good idea or annoyance?

The various switches got messed up somewhere in the process, so I wound up re-doing a lot of them based on 6000 Feet Under. That left me with two extraneous switches, which I turned into recharge panels.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 27th '18, 23:41

I thought the lighting looked great!

The diverting platforms confused and frustrated me at first, but I think that was largely just because I wasn't expecting them. It adds something more to do in the level than the really short run-through that it was before, so they're probably a good idea.

I don't think I'll need to make any further changes to it.

BTW I am hoping to release beta 3 next Wednesday, so it'd be awesome to have your final touches to She Is The Dark One and S'pht Happens by then too. (Tonight I look at Second to Last, then next Mon and Tue I look at Third Rock and Icarus, none of which I expect to really need much more work since they've all been gone over extensively already).

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 28th '18, 00:22

Yeah, sorry I’ve largely disappeared for the last few days. This week has utterly drained me, and I’m sure at least 51% of the population has been far more drained by recent events than I have been. But nonetheless, I feel my creative energy has taken a nosedive these past few days.

I think the new shapes changes look great, but I think it might still be a good idea to leave the original F’lickta CLUTs in there just in case someone still wants to use them in a custom Eternal map. There’s only 5 CLUTs right now, so it should be fine to add the M2 defaults as the last three. I also have to confess that I don’t entirely understand why the CLUTs are organised so that the Hulks and F’lickta use entirely different colour tables. From what I can see, large portions of each monster’s colour table are unused. It might be possible to cobble together CLUTs in which both monsters looked, if not coherent, then at least not like they came out of an LSD trip. I probably won’t have time to do this before beta 3, but I’ll look into it later in the month. I don’t know if it’d be possible to reduce the number of colour tables this way, but it might at least be possible to make it so that the colour tables weren’t mutually exclusive (e.g., worked only for F’lickta or only for Hulks).

If I don’t get “She Is the Dark One” done by this weekend, I should hopefully have time to finish it off by Tuesday. Honestly, about 50% of it is just fixing the physics to be up-to-date with the current versions, and then I’ll probably put in a few more geothermal vistas.

You can probably just roll in “Pissing on the Corporation” the way it is for now. I’m going to make a lot more changes to both that and “Burning Down the Corporation”, but I definitely won’t have time to get those done by Tuesday. It’ll probably be fairly time-consuming to get all the objects right in “Burning”, but the upside is that if no one messes up the item counts, I should only have to do it once.

This reminds me, while I’m at it, it might be good to use the readme.md file to log notes for mapmakers regarding specific levels. The Tower Defender thing in “S’pht Happens” might not have been an issue, for instance, if there’d been a note about that. I’ll have a note regarding the “Corporation” levels, but it can probably wait until I’ve actually finished the process of redoing the geometry and item placement. While I’m thinking of it, though, I made a change to the “Unlucky Pfhor Some” physics so that drones were willing to take larger jumps, and I made a change to the “She Is the Dark One” physics to make Ticks immune to lava and not afraid of sewage; I’m not sure whether the former of those should be made global, but the latter might be a good global change (not afraid of water, also, if we’ll be going that way). I might’ve made a few other physics changes, but I can’t think of any.

Thanks to Erich for the shapes work; it does look great. I should add that I think the zombie bones idea is a cool idea to try and see how it comes out. And I may at least have time to play your “Let Sleeping Gods Die” this weekend, BTW, Lia, but the changes you’ve made sound very cool.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 28th '18, 02:29

If you can finish your work on She is the Dark One by Monday, I'll make time to go over it myself on Tuesday.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 28th '18, 06:15

The Man wrote:Yeah, sorry I’ve largely disappeared for the last few days. This week has utterly drained me, and I’m sure at least 51% of the population has been far more drained by recent events than I have been. But nonetheless, I feel my creative energy has taken a nosedive these past few days.

No worries, I completely understand that. Some shit in my life is falling apart again and I'm even more exhausted than usual myself.

The Man wrote:If I don’t get “She Is the Dark One” done by this weekend, I should hopefully have time to finish it off by Tuesday. Honestly, about 50% of it is just fixing the physics to be up-to-date with the current versions, and then I’ll probably put in a few more geothermal vistas.

ravenshining wrote:If you can finish your work on She is the Dark One by Monday, I'll make time to go over it myself on Tuesday.

I won't be packing up beta 3 until the very end of the day Wednesday, so if between the two of you we have something to go by pretty much any time Wednesday that should be fine.

The Man wrote:You can probably just roll in “Pissing on the Corporation” the way it is for now. I’m going to make a lot more changes to both that and “Burning Down the Corporation”, but I definitely won’t have time to get those done by Tuesday. It’ll probably be fairly time-consuming to get all the objects right in “Burning”, but the upside is that if no one messes up the item counts, I should only have to do it once.

No rush on the Corporation levels, they don't have to go in beta 3 and can wait until they're finished to be incorporated (no pun intended).

This reminds me, while I’m at it, it might be good to use the readme.md file to log notes for mapmakers regarding specific levels. The Tower Defender thing in “S’pht Happens” might not have been an issue, for instance, if there’d been a note about that.

I'm trying to avoid having to keep track of notes and things. I really want as much as possibly to just be consistent across the whole scenario, so that we don't have to keep track of things like that.

While I’m thinking of it, though, I made a change to the “Unlucky Pfhor Some” physics so that drones were willing to take larger jumps

Those have been rolled into the master physics since you made them.

and I made a change to the “She Is the Dark One” physics to make Ticks immune to lava and not afraid of sewage

I'm not sure if that's something we want? I wouldn't expect Ticks to be fireproof, or to go into media at all.

Tonight I touched up the lighting across Second to Last of the Mohicans, and switched its fog script to the black used for Marathon exteriors instead of the orange used throughout Lh'owon.

Oh and I meant to commemorate it on Tuesday, but we've crossed the half-way point for level touch-ups now. Seven more weeks until the final beta. And then another month or so or thoroughly testing and tweaking that until release.

Pfhorrest
California

PreviousNext

Return to Projects