Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Nov 16th '18, 06:43

So in the very first level I get stuck in the first corner of the hallway that you spawn in. You have to give the corner a wide berth or you get stuck in place. It seems to be inconsistent.
TheFarSideofNowhere_0003.png
Stuck corner

Also as soon as I go down the elevator I get killed by these little balls that fire fusion shots.
TheFarSideofNowhere_0004.png
Fusion balls

TheFarSideofNowhere_0005.png
more fusion balls

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 16th '18, 06:44

Tonight Lia send me a modified Shapes file with modified CLUTs for the three texture sets she hadn't imported low-res textures into already, and then Aaron imported low-res versions of those textures into there. Lia also fixed the F'lick'ta looking weird in infravision, and I fixed one misplaced texture in the set 1 textures she had imported (the orange hall texture was instead a copy of the orange shaft texture).

Aaron also sent me his updated Pissing on the Corporation, and I replicated my minor changes to it, and a few other tiny fixes too.

I looked once more into figuring out why the Banshees upstairs on Echoes of Eden behave weirdly, but still couldn't figure it out. Here's some screenshots of what's happening.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.59.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.58.49 PM.jpg

They just like to sit there and do nothing. I tried changing their activation away from Goal to Randomly (and even removed the goal type from the one goal polygon that I'm not even sure why it's there, which is not where they stop but on the other side of that courtyard), and it didn't change anything. It's not bad enough to forestall tonight's release though, so without further ado:

Eternal X 1.2 beta 5 is now available.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 16th '18, 08:49

LegacyTyphoon wrote:So in the very first level I get stuck in the first corner of the hallway that you spawn in. You have to give the corner a wide berth or you get stuck in place. It seems to be inconsistent.
TheFarSideofNowhere_0003.png

Also as soon as I go down the elevator I get killed by these little balls that fire fusion shots.
TheFarSideofNowhere_0004.png

TheFarSideofNowhere_0005.png

That HUD at the bottom looks like glasses. They could be augmented reality glasses. (ok, maybe without the thing in the middle)

ukimalefu

Post Nov 16th '18, 18:32

BTW I didn't see LT's post somehow before posting beta 5 but I did notice that bug with the orbs shooting at you two nights ago and had already fixed it before beta 5 went up.

I don't know what's causing that hallway bug or how to fix it.

I already told LT all this in discord, but for the record here too.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 16th '18, 21:00

behold, with but one more polygon, thy walls now be smooth as butter
yet thou must texture them, for my hands doth cramp
and reproduce yon change to the relevant maps, for thy git repository is corrupt
Attachments
The Far Side Of Nowhere.sceA.tar.gz
(97.34 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 16th '18, 21:57

thanks lia!

what's this about my git repo though? is there a problem I should know about?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 16th '18, 22:53

when I download a map from it, it won't open
weland says it's not an m2/∞ map, and aleph one says error type 4
maybe later i'll try backing up my local copy and updating it via terminal

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 00:44

If you're feeling up to it and can figure out the problem, there's also a motion glitch in Third Rock from Lh'owon that's incredibly annoying. Here is a link to John's review where he points out the offending line.

The other issue is that some of the low-res textures I've made are hideous, especially most of the Pfhor collection. I think the best solution for the Pfhor collection may be to concatenate the small versions of each image into a single file, generate custom colour tables in Photoshop, then split it back up and import the new colour table and indexed versions. I'm not sure if this would screw up infravision though. The problem with the Pfhor collection is that it has such a wide variety of hues that the standard colour ramps of the engine can't really adequately represent it. If someone needs the small versions, I can upload them later when I'm not on a phone. I think ImageMagick can concatenate them, but no idea about splitting. Wrkncacnter posted the relevant command in the Discord last night; I'll search for it later.

The Human collection mostly has a completely different problem: texture #31 in each folder gets completely washed out in the downsampling process, to the point that it looks like it should be a Yuge texture. (Well, OK, it's nowhere near colourful enough.) One solution would be to crop it rather than downsample it. I considered doing this, but several other textures, such as #32, #37, and #38 in each folder, incorporate elements of #31, and the continuity between them would be completely lost. I will think about ways to fix this with my limited artistic abilities, unless someone else gets to it first.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 03:26

yeah, indexing isn't easy, and the pfhor is definitely the worst. it's not just hues, but varying saturations that mess things up. one thing that kinda helps is to just blow the saturation up to 100 across the whole image before converting it. convert it twice, once with dither and once without, combine the two in darken mode, merge, and re-convert to help get rid of the random bright spots. obviously works better for some textures than others. some stuff will have to be rectified by hand, which I cannot do atm... okay, but just for the worst offenders. if you can get rid of the glass effect from your master, that would also help - look at the terminal & PB for a comparison.

EDIT whoops there were transparent pixels in the image I had here before. this should be fixed:

Pfhor.gif

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 03:53

That’s a colossal improvement for most of them. Really only a handful are likely to need further work, at a glance, most notably the goo texture. Could probably just use most of those as-is for the final release, assuming they don’t get messed up somehow during the insertion process.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 04:38

yeah, shapesfusion is terrible at getting colours right when pasting. it's bitmap import facility works slightly better I think.

If you can somehow convert this into PICT format, Anvil might be able to import it all at once, if you are lucky and give it lots of RAM. Photoshop 4 complains it's too wide, even if I paste it into an Anvil-generated PICT file the same size.

Pfhorline.gif

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 05:15

alternatively, here's that image above chopped nicely via imagemagick:
Code: Select all
convert Pfhor.gif -crop 128x128 +repage pfhor-%02d.gif
Attachments
pfhor.tar.gz
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 09:27

Cool, thanks. Maybe i’ll paste them in with Anvil tomorrow.

BTW, the media fog script for “She Is the Dark One” should be fixed. It’s currently using lava fog and should be using sewage fog. I thought this had been fixed, but it must’ve gotten reset somehow.

Also, the title case for “The Land in the Sky”, “Floating in the Void”, and “The Near Side of Everywhere” is wrong again. I think part of the problem is that Github’s titles aren’t case sensitive, so it was never possible to get the file names to obey the correct case.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 15:56

I've finally finished the things I said I'd do to S'pht'ia.

- monster activations fixed - no longer will you be constantly tripping over idle s'pht as you climb the tower.
- trans-window combat - with some little ledges instead of solid lines, this now works as intended and looks quite spiffy whilst doing so.
- restored two neat windows that were missing
- west wing & locked doors - M2 had no west petal to the tower, the hallway ends abrubtly with a bunch of debris, implying it was destroyed at some point. it is destroyed no longer- I mirrored the corridors from the east, and added some locked doors where I could add no further due to map constraints. in keeping with the locked doors, the elevators in this section are set to alien-activated, to prevent players from casually using it as a shortcut. there are also locked doors to the south wing.
- rooftop deathtraps - the three empty pits you could get stuck in are now filled with lava, and visibly so you know not to jump down there.

github seems to be working now, so a PR is up

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 17:42

So, a couple issues with the gravitronic blade sprites:

1. The player’s hand is too small. It should be roughly twice the size that it currently is.

2. They should probably glow at least a bit. I’d add some sort of glow map, or just set the minimum light intensity of the frames to, say, 0.3 in the shapes. Or both.
There’s also an issue with “We Met Once in the Garden” in that most of the media heights should be raised by 0.001 WU. Currently, they don’t reach the heights of the waterfalls, which looks stupid.

I might’ve noticed a few other issues last night while I was testing out some of the levels, but it was late and I’ve forgotten. Luckily I’ve got films which I’ll comment on after watching them.

…regarding S’pht’ia, might it make sense to base the western tower on the southern tower that couldn’t be included in the map? Alternately, just flip the whole thing 90°. I can do that myself with the copy & paste plugin later if wanted. It’ll probably require a revision of the terminal script but I doubt there will be many other problems.

…oh, and there are a couple areas where a view of the tower would probably be a good idea, but wasn’t put in because the only way to pull it off would be to incorporate 5-D space. I can think of ways to use the copy & paste plugin to accomplish that, too. I might do that later, too, if wanted. A film depicting one specific area where I’d add a tower vista will be up sometime within the next day or two.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 18:14

thanks lia!

also can you guys each keep like a google doc or something with your to-dos for me because im not going to have time to do any of this for days and i don’t want it to just be lost buried in this thread where i’l never find it again

or like... use the Issues tab on github

also, it will take Tacticus to fix the grav blades, so... I guess I'll see if he can help

also also i just fixed the level titles and fog because those were quick, but maybe you could do the water on Garden yourself because I'm not clear exactly what you think needs changing where

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 17th '18, 18:47

Yeah, I’ll just submit a revision later. Probably won’t be for about eight or nine hours though. I am encoding a vid film which should make it very clear what the problem is, however.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 21:54

The Man wrote:So, a couple issues with the gravitronic blade sprites:...They should probably glow at least a bit. I’d add some sort of glow map, or just set the minimum light intensity of the frames to, say, 0.3 in the shapes. Or both.

I was going to mention that, glad you're on it!

The Man wrote:…regarding S’pht’ia, might it make sense to base the western tower on the southern tower that couldn’t be included in the map? Alternately, just flip the whole thing 90°. I can do that myself with the copy & paste plugin later if wanted. It’ll probably require a revision of the terminal script but I doubt there will be many other problems.

I disagree, symmetry befits the S'pht. The southern wing isn't gone, it's just locked away. There's not enough room for a whole west wing anyway.

The Man wrote:…oh, and there are a couple areas where a view of the tower would probably be a good idea, but wasn’t put in because the only way to pull it off would be to incorporate 5-D space. I can think of ways to use the copy & paste plugin to accomplish that, too. I might do that later, too, if wanted. A film depicting one specific area where I’d add a tower vista will be up sometime within the next day or two.

That's all you. My wrists are done.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 17th '18, 22:30

I had been afraid there wouldn't be enough room. Anyway, the other thing I was considering was just moving The Hard Stuff Rules segment so everything would fit, then wiping out the player's automap with Lua after the player teleports from the Eat It, Vid Boi part so the player doesn't notice the spatial discontinuity. I'm not 100% certain this is possible, but it might be the best option.

I'll work on the tower view later.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 17th '18, 22:35

I really don’t want to rely on too many weird Lua hacks like that.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 17th '18, 23:14

As neat as that sounds, Aaron, I kinda like how you can see it all line up on the automap:
sphtia.gif

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 18th '18, 03:18

I get what you mean. I find it unaccountably annoying that you can’t fit both levels into the same space without either moving them relative to each other or cropping one of them. Unfortunately I can’t think of any other good solutions either.

I’ll look into making some sort of 5D space recreation of the tower sometime over the next month or so. Might call it an early night tonight, though.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 19th '18, 12:45

I shall be posting some vid films over the next few hours/day.

I finally got “S’pht Happens” the proper way after about fifty attempts, but I still think the opening is too hard. The combat is just ridiculously unbalanced at that part to the point of being annoying. As is usual with Eternal, once you have access to a recharger, the rest of the level is cake. If not a permanent recharger, I’d be OK with just throwing in another 3x canister. It would make sense for the S’pht to restore your health while you were in stasis anyway.

I’m also in favour of making it so all those doors only open once. It’s not like “Second to Last of the Mohicans” where you can (usually) see what doors are opening. In this case, it’s difficult to even tell whether you’ve hit switches before.

Not too much else to comment on for that level at the moment, other than the misaligned doors. I might fix those when I work on it. A couple media sounds might could use work too; I don’t remember.

Regarding chapter 4 levels, there are a few really slow platforms left in “The Incredible Hulk”. I’ll fix those when I work on the geometry.

... oh, one other thing: too many non-combatant S'pht in the tower in "S'pht Happens". It gets really annoying to die because one gets in your way. And in such cramped quarters, that happens pretty often.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 19th '18, 23:11

S’pht’ia

She Is the Dark One (fists only)
She Is the Dark One (speedrun)

S’pht Happens

Genie in a Bottle

This Message Will Self-Destruct

We Met Once in the Garden and Where Giants Have Fallen

Don’t have time to write descriptions for any of these right now but I will note that while recording the speedrun, I discovered a really bouncy wall in the opening room of “She Is the Dark One”, which is presumably also a problem in “Let Sleeping Gods Die” as it’s a shared area between the two levels. I demonstrate the issue in the speedrun video.

There are also some really bouncy walls in “Dread Not” that don’t seem to have been fixed. I’ll probably look into doing those sometime this week as they’re simple fixes, along with the above-listed changes to “S’pht Happens”, presuming approval to do so.

…ok, I lied; apparently I forgot to show the bouncy wall in the speedrun. The offending line seems to be #1453. #1427 in “Let Sleeping Gods Die” almost certainly has the same problem.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 20th '18, 06:38

Had a quick look, don't have time to watch them all. You might want to play the latest version of S'pht'ia up on Git.

Addressing your concerns about S'pht Happens, I added a 1x charger to the last room on the way down the tower, where there was already a blank alcove, and set the basement puzzle doors to open only once. I also fixed a window that was impassable, and added rooftop geometry for the complex below since you normally will only see the roof and not the door, which you cannot enter. PR on GitHub or download.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

PreviousNext

Return to Projects