Pfhor Textures Remix 2.0

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 24th '11, 04:52

This plugin is a new take on the Pfhor Textures collection. It takes Marathon 2's colorful Pfhor textures and adds much of the detail from Marathon Infinity's Pfhor textures. However, a few of the textures, such as the switches, rechargers, terminals, and light panels are left alone. This plugin will work with either Marathon 2 or Infinity Shapes.

The plugin can be downloaded from Simplici7y.

President People wrote:I suppose it's a matter of taste. If you don't like M2's textures, you probably won't like these.

The textures are a combination of the M2 textures with Infinity's textures. Any added details were already on Infinity's textures. For example, look at the green light panels hanging from the ceiling in the first SCB screenshot. With M2 textures, it's just be the stripy texture. With Infinity Textures, it'd be the grayish-blue texture with the green light, and the vertical bars on it. This plugin combines the two textures.
Attachments
Minneapolis__Underworld_.png
Minneapolis__Underworld_.png (999.22 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
Revontulet__Red_Spectrum_.png
Revontulet__Red_Spectrum_.png (991.75 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____3.png
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____3.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2237 times
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____2.png
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____2.png (1 MiB) Viewed 2237 times
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____1.png
SCB__A_History_of_Paradise_Part_I____1.png (1005.42 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Last edited by President People on Aug 5th '12, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Jul 24th '11, 04:57

Those look... uh, hideous. I mean, I think I see this going in an acceptable direction, but this is the kind of thing where levels would have to be specifically textured with this in mind in order to look good.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 24th '11, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 24th '11, 05:08

RyokoTK wrote:Those look... uh, hideous. I mean, I think I see this going in an acceptable direction, but this is the kind of thing where levels would have to be specifically textured with this in mind in order to look good.

I suppose it's a matter of taste. If you don't like M2's textures, you probably won't like these.

The textures are a combination of the M2 textures with Infinity's textures. Any added details were already on Infinity's textures. For example, look at the green light panels hanging from the ceiling in the first SCB screenshot. With M2 textures, it's just be the stripy texture. With Infinity Textures, it'd be the grayish-blue texture with the green light, and the vertical bars on it. This plugin combines the two textures.
Attachments
Pfhor_024_Comparison.png
Pfhor_024_Comparison.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
Last edited by President People on Jul 24th '11, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Jul 24th '11, 06:58

Just because a new texture keeps elements of the original doesn't mean that it will look good in the same context. For example, that striped texture does not look good where the texture it replaced did in SCB.

The differences you've made to the textures are simply too drastic and incoherent to work as replacements, regardless of the quality of the textures themselves.
Last edited by $lave on Jul 24th '11, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jul 24th '11, 09:22

honestly the screenshots look normal to me, compared to the baseline of mararthon 2 pfhor texturing
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jul 24th '11, 09:27

It's a neat idea, and a couple of those do look quite interesting as individual textures, but in execution, and as a whole set, it still a gaudy kaleidoscope of intense color. I suppose it's somewhat an improvement on the original M2 textures, but since only a few of the splices actually look interesting individually, and MInf's Pfhor texture set was so much, well, better, perhaps something weighted more to the Infinity side of things will work out more successfully?
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 24th '11, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 24th '11, 13:53

It's Marathon on LSD!

ukimalefu

Post Jul 24th '11, 14:08

I like Marathon 2's textures, but I really dislike these. I don't want to discourage experimentation, but there should be some aesthetic sensibility behind it.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 24th '11, 14:26

President People wrote:I suppose it's a matter of taste. If you don't like M2's textures, you probably won't like these.

The problem is that when I made SCB and used that light texture, I used it where it was because the rest of the texture was blue. There are other lights I could have used and didn't. If the texture had weird funny-colored stripes in the background I probably would have used a different texture. The plugin turns the predominantly-blue SCB into a mish-mash of random colors.

And I mean, the texture work by itself looks just fine, and had I created SCB with this plugin in mind, it could have turned out much better, but there's no way this could blindly replace the original Infinity textures. A quick example: in your third screenshot you have a picture of one of the big trenches in SCB. The floor in the screenshot is a hideous green and red, two colors which are about as far away from matching up as possible. The problem is, in Infinity they're both blue.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 24th '11, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 5th '12, 03:22

I know how much you guys love this plugin, so I've posted an update to Simplici7y.

President People

Post Aug 5th '12, 16:31

I hated M2's circus textures (They changed the positioning of the pfhor's eye because it 'looked like a clown nose' but then they went and did this). M1's were dark, organic, and all around alien. Infinity's textures seemed to be the compromise between the two, making them mechanical but no longer bright and garish.

This... uh. It looks like an attempt to make the m2 textures less eye-bleeding by darkening the hues, but it doesn't work. It makes it look like the maps got puked all over.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Sep 4th '12, 04:20

Can't believe that I missed this. Its funny, there is something rather brilliant about these color combinations. It is however a mere accident and one made most obviously. These could prove very interesting in the hands of a skilled map maker, but as for their intended purpose as replacements they prove as clunky as any other set of blind deviation.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Return to Projects