Possibility to call friendly troopers?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 2nd '11, 16:11

A small mod idea i had (only just started playing the marathon games, thanks to Aleph One [MGrin] ), Would it be possible to create a mod/plugin that would allow the player to spawn friendly BOBs?

(Not sure about marathons modding capabilities yet)

Thanks for any help [MSmile]
Last edited by Beretta on Aug 23rd '11, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Beretta

Post Aug 24th '11, 23:11

It's possible but you'd have to script it yourself.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Aug 25th '11, 05:32

I'm in a generous mood, so here you go. Be careful with the assault rifle's primary fire. [MLaugh]
[attachment=5189:BoBomancer.lua.zip]
[attachment=5190:Vulcan_0001.jpg]
Attachments
Vulcan_0001.jpg
Vulcan_0001.jpg (585.97 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
BoBomancer.lua.zip
(836 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times

Crater Creator

Post Aug 25th '11, 07:37

a one time use weapon that calls for an orbital drop of a small squadron of teleporting in vacbobs wouldn't be completely useless in actual gameplay
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Aug 25th '11, 21:44

thermoplyae wrote:a one time use weapon that calls for an orbital drop of a small squadron of teleporting in vacbobs wouldn't be completely useless in actual gameplay

done, albeit half-assedly. I didn't feel like scripting a whole new weapon or watching the mic key or something, so it's linked to the first overloaded fusion bolt you fire. squad appears where your shot lands, on walls, on the ceiling, whatever. beam-in heights are clipped to poly heights. if you fire into a poly that isn't tall enough to fit a vacbob (ie; a switch) it doesn't count and you get another shot.

edit: fixed minor bug
Attachments
bobdrop.lua.zip
(1007 Bytes) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by quartz on Aug 25th '11, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 25th '11, 21:55

I should also note that I used CC's script as a starting point for this

quartz

Post Aug 31st '11, 05:39

Crater Creator wrote:I'm in a generous mood, so here you go. Be careful with the assault rifle's primary fire. [MLaugh]

Puts a whole new spin on the BOB quote: "They're everywhere!"

Ethiops

Post Oct 5th '11, 18:34

Thanks guys, really appreciated :)
Beretta

Post Oct 14th '11, 07:07

Oh this is going to be so much fun (evil laugh). Also, hello. I hope to find many well made marathon games here. I already have the gray incident, Siege of nor'korh, Kill them all, evil, and Rubicon X. Looking forward to many more marathon adventures.
Racecarlock

Post Jun 22nd '12, 07:59

Yes. If you know lua script, you can spawn bobs, and order them to move to your last location. Meaning, you press a button, spawn bobs. Press a button and they move to the position of "you" at the time you pressed the button. To make them follow you is possible too. However doing so may lead to unwanted surprises (they block your path).
rescue86k

Post Jun 23rd '12, 03:31

rescue86k wrote:Yes. If you know lua script, you can spawn bobs, and order them to move to your last location. Meaning, you press a button, spawn bobs. Press a button and they move to the position of "you" at the time you pressed the button. To make them follow you is possible too. However doing so may lead to unwanted surprises (they block your path).

Nothing like clearing a path while adhering to the Oath of the Vidmaster.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 22nd '12, 08:34

rescue86k wrote:Yes. If you know lua script, you can spawn bobs, and order them to move to your last location. Meaning, you press a button, spawn bobs. Press a button and they move to the position of "you" at the time you pressed the button. To make them follow you is possible too. However doing so may lead to unwanted surprises (they block your path).

I was reading this again. I know what you have in mind is more like squad commands (Damage, Inc. anyone?). But it occurs to me a 'get out of my way' signal could help reduce instances of BoBs clogging doorways and hallways without you having to open fire on them.

Crater Creator

Post Jul 22nd '12, 16:41

Crater Creator wrote:I'm in a generous mood, so here you go. Be careful with the assault rifle's primary fire. [MLaugh]

Recently I made a modified version of your lua script. The differences are that:
  1. The assault rifle's secondary fire (i.e. grenades) spawn S'pht K'r Defenders instead of A-BoBs.
  2. It's not just your shots that spawn characters; when BoBs shoot, they also spawn more BoBs.
Here's the code for my "Self-Propogating BoBs" lua file:
[[code]]CollectionsUsed = { 12, 13, 10 }

function Triggers.projectile_detonated(type, owner, poly, x, y, z)
if (owner ~= nil) then
if (type == "pistol bullet") then
bob = Monsters.new(x, y, 0, poly, "blue bob");
end
if (type == "fusion bolt minor") then
bob = Monsters.new(x, y, 0, poly, "blue vacbob");
end
if (type == "fusion bolt major") then
bob = Monsters.new(x, y, 0, poly, "security vacbob");
end
if (type == "rifle bullet") then
bob = Monsters.new(x, y, 0, poly, "green bob");
end
if (type == "grenade") then
bob = Monsters.new(x, y, 0, poly, "minor defender");
end
end
end[/[code]]
Copy that into a lua file, load it as a solo script, fire off a couple pistol shots and you get this:

[attachment=5688:Screen_s...51.13_AM.png]

Cheers,
Perseus
Attachments
Screen_shot_2012_07_22_at_12.51.13_AM.png
Screen_shot_2012_07_22_at_12.51.13_AM.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2815 times
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jul 24th '12, 05:53

I have a good idea for how a useful script of this nature would work. The basic principle is that there's a sort of meter. When that meter gets filled up, the next time you tap the 'action' key, it spawns seven Vac-BoBs wherever you're pointing (crosshairs would be useful for this). These BoBs teleport in and, as soon as they run out of enemies to kill, they teleport out, thus preventing them from permanently blocking your path. Each time you call in a batch of BoBs, the meter depletes and thens slowly fills back up (takes seven seconds to fill back up all the way). Can we construct a lua file like this? Here's the features that need to come together to make this work fully:
  1. Obviously you'd use a variable to create the meter. Every tick, this variable would increase by one, until the meter was 'full'. The question is, how do you create a timer for this?
  2. The BoBs should appear whereever you're aiming when you press the 'action' key. How do you get the game to decide where you're aiming without the use of a projectile?
  3. How do you get a group of monsters to appear around a central spot without them all appearing inside each-other? In other words, how do you get them to spawn in a spread out area around where you aimed, instead of all appearing exactly where you aimed.
  4. How do you get a lua-spawned monster to do the teleport-in thingy when they spawn?
  5. How do you get a lua-spawned monster to teleport out once it loses track of any targets?

If you can solve even one of the aforementioned issues, that would be great. Let me tell you, this'd be a script worth making, because it can fit in with a story, it doesn't mess up gameplay horribly (i.e. BoBs won't permanently end up blocking your path), and it isn't necessarily a true 'cheat'.

Cheers,
Perseus
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jul 24th '12, 12:43

Many of your questions are answered by the Lua scripters' guide. Have a read through it before asking more :)
Last edited by treellama on Jul 24th '12, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Projects