Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Finally throwing out Halathon

Post May 17th '13, 22:39

It's Okay, I got weland. I am currently learning how to use it and am experimenting with what I can do. If I produce anything cool, I will let you guys know.

Blackice

Post May 18th '13, 22:31

there's an incomplete netmap included with the demo - i think "Furthest" is the maps title - you might wanna try finishing that one off first before creating a new one from scratch - just to start with small steps.

there are 2 Visual mode.lua scripts inlcuded with the download - the first applies one-sided and the other 2-sided transparent textures.

good luck

thedoctor45

Post May 19th '13, 12:12

I have Visual mode. I will see what I can do. The map you mentioned seems to be almost done. In my opinion, all thats left is adding weapons, spawn points, sounds, and texturing. If you have any suggestion for how I should texture the map, please tell me.

Blackice

Post Jun 16th '13, 20:09

For proper texturing just take a look at the original Halo maps - "Furthest" is the AlephOne equivalent of Halos "Longest" netmap.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 18th '13, 20:16

thedoctor45 wrote:For proper texturing just take a look at the original Halo maps - "Furthest" is the AlephOne equivalent of Halos "Longest" netmap.

Awesome, I loved Longest in Halo 1, was my favorite multilayer map! :D

Mavrik
Sweden

Post Jul 21st '13, 14:31

I'm planning to record a little Halathon netgame session soon - if anyone wants to join the fun PM me and I'll give you a DL-link to the latest Beta.

thedoctor45

Post Jul 30th '13, 01:18

nice. When will this be?

Blackice

Post Aug 18th '13, 02:04

I'm ready when you are - I've just finished off my reimagined version of Longest so all I need now is some people to test it with. Let me know when you have time.

thedoctor45

Post Aug 18th '13, 13:32

I might like to get in on this. My summer break isn't over until next week, so I've got plenty of free time.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

craZboy557

Post Aug 20th '13, 17:33

I've been playing around some more with pseudo-B&B tricks and split-poly texturing - I've attached some pics. Anyone recognize the map? ^_^

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

thedoctor45

Post Aug 20th '13, 20:42

Hey hey, that's the netmap with the huge pit and waterfalls... uh, Damnation if I remember right. Neat.
Cephalostrum

Post Aug 24th '13, 02:08

I call my version "Salvation". I'm pretty much done with level geometry and elevation - next I gotta finish applying the textures and 3d models. I've attached some more screenshots - btw, everything you see was created with Weland/VML - no 3D models are being used.

four.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

one.jpg

six.jpg

thedoctor45

Post Aug 24th '13, 07:03

I am thoroughly impressed with the technical feats seen here, particularly those bridges that appear to look right from all angles. I do have to say, though, that the textures tend to run together into a mauve soup, worse than the original.

You're obviously dealing with more limitations, but you may want to adjust the fog (it could be bluer than the dominant textures for more contrast), and accentuate lighting and texture differences to make different surfaces more distinct from each other.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 24th '13, 11:30

I'm actually planning on re-doing most of the Covenant texture set since it obviously doesn't fit the needs of the map, the screenshots are early WIP so a lot will change anyway - getting the lighting to look nice is the hardest part imo since Halo relies heavily on that feature. I also thought about adjusting the fog for more contrast and i tried a bluer tint but it looked kinda toxic lol xF

thedoctor45

Post Aug 24th '13, 19:00

How long will it take? I'm interested in this. Hi, by the way.

TheMadDoctor

Post Aug 25th '13, 14:33

That really is impressive. Here all I was expecting is some simplified remake of blood gulch.

What do you do if you fall off those ledges? as there is no fall damage in marathon, boil them them in invisible lava? Or can you not fall due to engine limitations? I know you cant pass under but seeing as it spans a bottomless pit, that would hardly seem to matter.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 25th '13, 17:11

Yes if you fall down you'll end up being incinerated by an invisible liquid that inflicts instant death on the player. Your corpse will hit the ground eventually but you won't see the invisble edges - you may hit them but i think once you fall you've got bigger issues to deal with than to notice those lol.

thedoctor45

Post Aug 25th '13, 17:41

I vaguely recall that un-textured walls can elevate the player if he runs into them. That could be a problem, unless the liquid is placed high enough.

goran

Post Aug 25th '13, 19:57

goran wrote:I vaguely recall that un-textured walls can elevate the player if he runs into them.

This will only happen if there is no side associated with the line. Although, I can't think of a way using current tools to create a side without a texture!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 25th '13, 20:19

I have not experienced this effect on this particular map yet so I guess there need to a few more factors at work for this to happen. Anyway I've just managed to get some functional ladders implemented into the map which do elevate you vertically when you run into them but they are fully visible. Also megabytes jump script will be implemented by default to enable the player to reach small ledges and cross smaller gaps like the ones that can be seen between those bridges - these features add quite a bit of fun to the gameplay imho.

thedoctor45

Post Aug 26th '13, 15:09

okay I've reached the point where AlephOne just keeps exiting randomly when I look at certain areas of the map. I get no error message or other crash report - it just quits out on me. I've checked for zero length lines etc but found nothing - I´ve reached 1200 polys so the geometry is pretty complex now - I also use a lot of split polys on walls etc. Any idea what might cause this behaviour?

thedoctor45

Post Aug 26th '13, 15:54

thedoctor45 wrote:okay I've reached the point where AlephOne just keeps exiting randomly when I look at certain areas of the map. I get no error message or other crash report - it just quits out on me. I've checked for zero length lines etc but found nothing - I´ve reached 1200 polys so the geometry is pretty complex now - I also use a lot of split polys on walls etc. Any idea what might cause this behaviour?

Is this in OS X? You should absolutely get a crash report...

Split polygons might do it. If you nuke/pave the map and load it in Infinity, does it still crash? Can you upload the resulting map?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 26th '13, 16:50

I'm running OSX 10.5.8 Leopard and I don't get any screen notifications - does AO save crash logs somewhere? Anyway i think I've found the part of the geometry that's responsible for the problem, although I don't get why it would cause AO to exit like that.

thedoctor45

Post Aug 26th '13, 17:35

thedoctor45 wrote:I'm running OSX 10.5.8 Leopard and I don't get any screen notifications - does AO save crash logs somewhere? Anyway i think I've found the part of the geometry that's responsible for the problem, although I don't get why it would cause AO to exit like that.

Oh, maybe Leopard doesn't. That's pretty old.

You can look at the output of ~/Library/Logs/Aleph One Log.txt and see if there's anything in there.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 26th '13, 18:43

You might want to check the system log as well, either with the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console), or just use cat or tail to look at the file directly at /var/log/system.log.
Look out - he's nuts!

jonny

PreviousNext

Return to Projects