Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
mwhite212
Born on Board

Uhhh.....this is amazing.
TheMadDoctor
Born on Board

I agree. I am curious about how the campaign is coming along in this.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm currently working on multiplayer maps fyi - the demo will only feature 3 singleplayer maps at max, and as long as I'm the only one working on this project I don't think it will ever get past a demo release anyway. But I'm trying to get a drivable version of the ghost implemented into the game at least.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

OK so i ran into another problem but this time it's affecting Visual Mode LUA. Lately, whenever I'm applying a texture on that map I'm currently working on i get this console output in the upper left corner of the screen:
error.jpg
The textures still apply to the walls but they don't align anymore with other wall textures that share the same index. I tried nuking all textures and the problem disappeared - I also tried deleting all polys that i had textured shortly before that problem first appeared but it didn't help. I don't wanna re-texture everything just because of this little bug. Any ideas how I could preserve my texturing job?
TheMadDoctor
Born on Board

I have a question about multiplayer maps. Are there some differences in some of the level design to work in marathon multiplayer games?
treellama
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:OK so i ran into another problem but this time it's affecting Visual Mode LUA. Lately, whenever I'm applying a texture on that map I'm currently working on i get this console output in the upper left corner of the screen:
error.jpg
The textures still apply to the walls but they don't align anymore with other wall textures that share the same index. I tried nuking all textures and the problem disappeared - I also tried deleting all polys that i had textured shortly before that problem first appeared but it didn't help. I don't wanna re-texture everything just because of this little bug. Any ideas how I could preserve my texturing job?
It can probably be fixed, but it will be a few days before I can look at it.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

There will be changes in the geometry yes but I'll try to keep them as minimal as possible - Right now I'm using 5D space to implement bridges but this method has certain limitations and it doesn't always look good.

@treellama: I have other maps to work on as well so i can wait.
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you post the map in question, or a full error log? (Aleph One Log.txt)
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Here's the unfinished map: http://cl.ly/1h3T3c2L2K1L
treellama
Vidmaster

Somehow you have a side with no line attached, which is an invalid map. Was this generated solely in Weland? Attached is a Weland plugin that removes the bogus side, which seems to allow VM.lua to work.
Attachments
RemoveBogusSide.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

hey thanks for the effort - it is very much appreciated.
Blackice
Born on Board

Sorry i've been gone for a while. I just never had time, is the map I've been working on finished, or is it still in progress?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Furthest is finished. I'm working on a larger outdoor map now.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Furthest is finished. I'm working on a larger outdoor map now.
Please let it be either Blood Gulch or Sidewinder.
Blackice
Born on Board

Alright. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I would work better as a tester anyways.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Sidewinder.
Spot on mister.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Spot on mister.
Yay! Oh I do love Sidewinder. I've never really played a single network game of Halo, but I know Sidewinder is one of the best maps in it. And I'm also thinking about writing a machinima series that takes place in it, but that's another matter. ;)
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have some good news, I've recently managed to recover most of my lost data from my dead external drive including the Halathon related files. This should speed things up quite a bit.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Fantastic! Nothing sucks like losing a lot of work. Glad you were able to recover it.
Dan
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote:I'm currently working on multiplayer maps fyi - the demo will only feature 3 singleplayer maps at max, and as long as I'm the only one working on this project I don't think it will ever get past a demo release anyway. But I'm trying to get a drivable version of the ghost implemented into the game at least.
Just curious, but how will you make the Ghost? When driving, will it be a scenery object (with the script moving you and the object at the same time)? Or will it be an item/weapon ("enter" scenery object, delete scenery object, get Ghost "item", force player to only use the Ghost's plasma gun, and remove the item and replace the Ghost scenery object when something is pressed [action trigger, for example])?
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just wanted to let you guys know that this project isn't dead and that I've resumed work on Halathon after taking a longer break. As for the demo release date I'm afraid i can't give any specific timeframe yet since I'm currently the only one working on the project although the Weland copy-paste plugin helps me get the repetitive parts of the SP-maps done much quicker now. Anyway, stay tuned for future updates.

@Dan: For now plans are to implement the Ghost as a special weapon.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've been working on a unsc ship for the last few days and I'm about half way through - just finished off the bridge and the mess hall - 3d models are working nicely for the most part - I've attached 2 screenshots - more to come.
unsc_bridge.PNG
unsc_ship.PNG
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Here're some pics of the bridge & mess hall:
messhall.jpg
bridge3.jpg
bridge2.jpg
bridge5.jpg
bridge4.jpg
bridge1.jpg
i know that the shading is a bit weak but it's not done yet. Scaling all the 3d models was pita, but i think it turned out nicely after all.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jul 15th '14, 07:59, edited 3 times in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

This project continues to show some of the most impressive visuals this engine has seen. I think the best way to describe the overall effect, is that these look like screenshots for an 'HD remastered' version of Halo, in an alternate universe where Halo came out three or four years earlier than it actually did.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Glad to see that there's at least one person still interrested in this project. :P I must admit that it had to endure some unexpected drawbacks over the past 2.5 years which kinda fueled the notion that it won't get done but right now I'm simply refusing to give up on it.

As soon as I finish off the UNSC levels I'll be getting back to multiplayer maps and maybe record a little gamplay video of some multiplayer action for you guys to enjoy.