Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 31st '12, 16:21

It looks very good!

goran

Post May 31st '12, 16:35

I think Bungie gonna sue somebody! [MUp]

Ares Ex Machina

Post May 31st '12, 22:02

I can hardly believe how great that is

infwaffle

Post May 31st '12, 22:06

This is amazing!

mchief111

Post Jun 1st '12, 20:10

OMG!!! We're playing Halo in Marathon! How bizzar is that!

Btw cool pict. Show more awesomeness.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Jun 2nd '12, 12:42

here's another closeup of the warthog model - I'll try to get at least the Ghost implemented as a custom weapon and maybe the Warthog too if the driving physics can be simulated properly but don't get your hopes up yet - currently it's just a scenery prop.

[attachment=5653:warthog.jpg]

[attachment=5654:warthog1.jpg]

also once the new player sprites are complely implemented I'm going to take a few screenshots of some multiplayer gameplay - maybe a short video as well - but we'll see.
Attachments
warthog1.jpg
warthog1.jpg (306.75 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
warthog.jpg
warthog.jpg (283.01 KiB) Viewed 5795 times

thedoctor45

Post Jun 2nd '12, 12:53

Wow, It's looking nice. I never knew Aleph One could handle so much 3d models, I only assumed it could handle a very few. I guess that's why I never looked too much into it. Can't wait to see more updates.
Last edited by ODST276 on Jun 2nd '12, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

ODST276
USA

Post Jun 2nd '12, 13:12

Just wondering, what's with the mushrooms? I don't recall the Chief ever tripping around in CE.

mchief111

Post Jun 2nd '12, 13:27

Diogenes wrote:Just wondering, what's with the mushrooms? I don't recall the Chief ever tripping around in CE.

the mushrooms are from a different scenery set - i just put them there for testing purposes.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 2nd '12, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 4th '12, 19:06

Speaking of Halo, I found a new trailer for Halo 4. It also has some footage of the game.
Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-CRrP9xjQ...feature=g-all-u

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Jun 4th '12, 20:35

*eyes pop out*

Wow.
Only one question.

Will there be run punching?
Last edited by listener on Jun 4th '12, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
listener

Post Jun 5th '12, 05:57

Really can't wait for a demo or something, this looks really cool. Keep up the good work, doctor. [MUp]

listener wrote:Will there be run punching?

I don't see why there wouldn't be. It is still Marathon after all, so (under normal circumstances) it can't really not be there. I'm more curious to know if there'll be jumping (in any form).
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jun 5th '12, 08:47

well thr AR punch is pretty powerful right now (as it was in halo) and will take down most enemies with a single blow so there's not much noticable difference between the two right now but I might change that still.

As for jumping, there are currently no plans for this feature to be implemented but who knows I might change my mind on that as well over time but currently it's not a priority for me.

PS: Me and TychoVII got the needler weapon impemented just recently - the projectiles will be tracking enemies with a custom script just like in the original Halo game:

[attachment=5657:needler1.jpg]

[attachment=5658:needler2.jpg]
Attachments
needler2.jpg
needler2.jpg (201.84 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
needler1.jpg
needler1.jpg (212.26 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 5th '12, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 5th '12, 20:17

Looking cool Doctor! The needler looks a lot better now than what it looked like from the original demo! It's a shame I don't have the skills like you and Tycho... but then again, I'm pretty good at mapping.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Jun 10th '12, 21:03

This is looking really great Doc, keep at it.
Fishman92

Post Jun 16th '12, 18:54

Say hello to these guys:

guys.jpg
guys.jpg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 5799 times

...now say goodbye: [spnkr]

guys2.jpg
guys2.jpg (233.99 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Last edited by thedoctor45 on May 21st '18, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 16th '12, 20:51

Hey, that's pretty neat! You also make the 3D elements look easy.

I do think the faces and clothes look 'soft', lacking definition and/or detail. I'm sure the resolution of the sprites is limiting, but I would suggest either re-rendering with different lighting, or else painting in some shadow and highlights.

Crater Creator

Post Jun 17th '12, 21:32

the sprites are 256x256px in size - anything higher will cause A1 to become unstable and crash-happy - at least if you use a lot of HD sprites - but to get a consitent look TychoVII and I decided to stick to 256.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 17th '12, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 21st '12, 05:24

The weapon in hand looks like a real time 3D model in those screenshots, although I'm guessing it's a 2D rendering of a 3D model.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jun 28th '12, 14:03

The infantry has arrived:

[attachment=5670:marines2.jpg]
Attachments
marines2.jpg
marines2.jpg (184.42 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 28th '12, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 28th '12, 17:56

The guy in the back is doing it wrong. :P

In the screenshot above, where you're shooting those Bobs, it looks like the ejected casing could use some aligning. (Wait, can that be done? I don't rememberâ?¦)

And I may have asked this already, but are there any plans for a floating hud?
Last edited by President People on Jun 28th '12, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jun 28th '12, 19:27

President People wrote:In the screenshot above, where you're shooting those Bobs, it looks like the ejected casing could use some aligning. (Wait, can that be done? I don't rememberâ?¦)

I'll see if I can come up with a fix for that.

President People wrote:And I may have asked this already, but are there any plans for a floating hud?

sshhhh! - that's a surprise ;)
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 28th '12, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jun 30th '12, 15:55

Small update and some new menu artwork:

[attachment=5673:menu1.jpg]

[attachment=5674:Credits1.jpg]

You can expect a muliplayer demo release of Halathon in the near future - release date depends on how fast I can get the remaining netmaps finished - which will probably take another 2 months or so if I don't run into any major issues.

The demo will include about 5 multiplayer-maps some of which will be heavily inspired by the original Halo versions.

There will also be a Halathon plugin for Marathon Infinity which lets you play the game as MasterChief.
Attachments
Credits1.jpg
Credits1.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
menu1.jpg
menu1.jpg (126.79 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jun 30th '12, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Jul 2nd '12, 06:31

The only problem I have with the sprites you are using for the Marines and Crewmen is their feet - they aren't exactly nicely in line with the floor. Oh well. They look just like the Halo Marines and such. One question, though. How are you giving them all those different appearances?

By the way, you did the right thing with those Crewmen. [spnkr] [MGrin]

Cheers,
Perseus
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

PreviousNext

Return to Projects