nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 23rd '11, 03:12

(I loves me my glow maps)

Zenith and his distrustful crew have returned from the strange swamp planet to their usual acts of piracy: stealing ships, plundering treasure, avoiding the authorities. After what seems to be a typical day of looting, however, Zenith reveals that he has acquired a "treasure map" of sorts, and eagerly embarks to follow it.

But all is not as it seems, as strange creatures start following you around and it becomes clear that Zenith isn't searching, he is running. You will follow him and various other pirates on a quest, through the known galaxy and beyond, to find answers and stop an evil as old as civilization itself.

What is this?

A currently unnamed Total Conversion. It is a merger of two past projects, "Winter 2" and "Marathon Shadow", made possible by my development of a way to quickly retexture entire maps. I figured it would be a shame not to release all of the stuff I had for it, and in general not to finish what I started. I actually began working on this about two months ago, and I would have posted something up sooner but getting those screenshots in order took a lot longer than I thought it would.

When's it gonna be done by?

I've got tons of time over the summer, so I'm gonna see how far I can get. I think I've done a fair bit already; but there's still lots more to do. What you see here is neither finished nor completely reflective of what the final product will look like (every texture's gonna be high res, even the ones from other places). There are probably gonna be like 6 new monsters like the skeleton, not counting all of the RED metalloids. I should be able to handle making all of the stuff like them myself.

What's with the skeleton...?

He's cool. He's along for the ride as one of those strange creatures I mentioned earlier. I know he seems a bit ridiculous, but he's been a lot of fun to make and has proven to me that monster making of that sort isn't a lost art. He isn't finished yet by any means, but when he is you can bet he'll have friends too!

Who is working on this?

Currently it's just me. From the screenshots you might notice some stuff I've taken from elsewhere, and I'm trying to use as much of the stuff people have made for me in the past as possible.

Any unused stuff anyone wants to donate would be very useful, and if anyone wants to make some maps or something for me, PM me and I'll let you have my shapes file to work with.

So yeah. I'm back. [MSmile]

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 23rd '11, 03:53

I genuinely hope this is as successful as everything else you've done.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 23rd '11, 22:29

Wait, what does this mean for the upcoming release of Winter 2?
Image Image

interion

Post Dec 1st '11, 22:47

If you are enlisting help, would you be willing to provide your textures? I assume they are different than those from Winter II, since the textures had not been complete at that time.

Not Invented Here

Post Dec 3rd '11, 18:02

Good thing we're finally going to see something from Shadow. I have 2 little questions though:
-Are you using Thrudnesday? (You can, but I'd like to know. Otherwise I'd make it a standalone thing.) With the other half-a-map I made you, you can do whatever you please.
-Winter II was a project like Winter I and the Xmas projects, as in, that everyone could contribute. So what's happening with other people's contributions to it? (Not that I'm among them, but it just makes me frown)
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Dec 3rd '11, 19:27

If you get done by Xmas, it would be a fun download. Good luck anyways.

goran

Post Dec 4th '11, 01:23

If you are enlisting help, would you be willing to provide your textures? I assume they are different than those from Winter II, since the textures had not been complete at that time.
The Winter II textures, at the time that I stopped, consisted mainly of 1 set, an enormous 103 texture set which I did in fact come fairly close to completing. All of those textures are now in the sewage set; I wrote some magical thing that remaps all of the textures on the maps, but I haven't gotten it to work with switch types yet.

If you wanna help I can PM you a shapes file. The Pfhor and Lava sets both contain all of their vanilla counterparts.

Drictelt wrote:Good thing we're finally going to see something from Shadow. I have 2 little questions though:
-Are you using Thrudnesday? (You can, but I'd like to know. Otherwise I'd make it a standalone thing.) With the other half-a-map I made you, you can do whatever you please.
-Winter II was a project like Winter I and the Xmas projects, as in, that everyone could contribute. So what's happening with other people's contributions to it? (Not that I'm among them, but it just makes me frown)

I'm considering using it, it's a nice map, but the problem is that it was made with textures so old that I might not have their shapes file anymore (the magical thing can remap them all if I do). The sets have all been vastly improved to the point where you might not even recognize the maps.

I think only 1 person, Kurinn, actually helped (Well, I'm still using some of your textures in it :P). I'll definitely use his map.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Dec 4th '11, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Dec 4th '11, 20:47

Shadowbreaker wrote:The Winter II textures, at the time that I stopped, consisted mainly of 1 set, an enormous 103 texture set which I did in fact come fairly close to completing. All of those textures are now in the sewage set; I wrote some magical thing that remaps all of the textures on the maps, but I haven't gotten it to work with switch types yet.

If you wanna help I can PM you a shapes file. The Pfhor and Lava sets both contain all of their vanilla counterparts.
I'm considering using it, it's a nice map, but the problem is that it was made with textures so old that I might not have their shapes file anymore (the magical thing can remap them all if I do). The sets have all been vastly improved to the point where you might not even recognize the maps.

I think only 1 person, Kurinn, actually helped (Well, I'm still using some of your textures in it :P). I'll definitely use his map.

Before Kurinn went on an expedition to Antarctica, he gave me all of his files. I've been working on the map he gave you (DCP). There's still some stuff to be done with that, and a lot has been added on. If you would kindly PM me the shapes file, I could make good use of it. The real gimmick was the toilet with a critter in it that you had to kill with fists to unclog and drain the water from the second sublevel to progress through the level. He had some Lua written up for that, but it was kind of iffy, so I'm working on cleaning that up so that it works smoothly. There's also a secret that involves finding and destroying a bunch of switches scattered throughout the level. He never mapped out the tags for that very well, so I'm going to fix that up, probably by getting rid of the tag switches and replacing them with platform switches. That way the switches will "do" something that you can see if you pay attention, making it a little more interesting.

Not Invented Here

Post Dec 4th '11, 23:20

What types of maps do you need?
listener

Return to Projects