Horror/Mystery-genre project...

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 8th '06, 23:42

...Wouldn't that be rather hard to do without using MML? Come on guys, this is about being totally fucking scary... [MUp]
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 9th '06, 00:40

This topic suddenly began to suck.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 9th '06, 02:16

I dunno...
A horrible FPS-remake of Resident Evil keeps flashing through my mind when I read some of these ideas...and its a scary picture...
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Nov 9th '06, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 9th '06, 02:25

you know what scared me in some odd way thing was that no-face guy from "spirited away"

his first apearance was not shocking, but more freaky/frightening. doesnt say anything, rather large, and cant define its face too well.. veary vauge like
I cant realy put my finger on it, but that thing just being there is kinda creepy

IPB Image

heh, kinda like a compiler!! zomg!
Last edited by shongshong on Nov 9th '06, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Nov 9th '06, 02:28

Well, like I said earlier, having some kind of creature that you can't really see or do anything about that follows you may have some kind of creepiness to it that'll add to the overall scenario itself...
I've started writing down ideas I've either seen in other horror movies or games...not specifically characters, but the way things were handled.

Also, I apologize for being a bit harsh earlier, I had a bit of a rough day today and took it out on you guys.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 9th '06, 03:37

Hmm someone was that no face guy for Halloween. [MLaugh]

Anyways, Noh masks are much scarier. I mean they freaked me out when they popped up on a webpage.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=no...G=Search+Images

Anyways, is anyone actually going to create anything or are we just going ot discuss it?

I tried to make a scary hallway, but after Forge crashed I lost interest. [MFrown]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Nov 9th '06, 04:11

Really, its a discussion right now, but once I get the time to work on my mapping skills, I may actually start on this project, depending on people's interest in it.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 9th '06, 06:50

I loved that noface man, especailly when he vomits throughout the bathhouse, that was awsome! I have the DVD of it :P

You could even make his body translucent like in the movie!
Last edited by Samus on Nov 9th '06, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Samus

Post Nov 10th '06, 00:20

you know what always freaks me out?

fighting slow ass zombies, then sunddenly one or two start moving really fast. the crimson heads in resident evil scare the crap out of me, also things that bust through window panes (dogs, zombies, bricks). i thought PID was pretty freaky cause it was dark and the monsters were crazy looking.

or..... a giant pac-man that can only be killed if you get a bio-bus chip, otherwise its roams the halls eating whatever is in its way O.o
Dieselfame3

Post Nov 10th '06, 17:05

Ghostish things that is very fast and makes disturbing sounds can be scary sometimes. You think you see something and when you asre about to react it suddenly charges at you. Stuff like this can be freaky:
http://brandonandmelody.ytmnd.com/
http://melodyhassilenced.ytmnd.com/
http://baboongone.ytmnd.com/
Last edited by Yowza on Nov 10th '06, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Yowza

Post Nov 10th '06, 21:45

Maybe you've snapped...maybe you haven't...you'll have to decide for yourself.
Marathon: Delirium

There...I came up with a temporary name...I'd post more, but the computer lab I'm at is about to close early.

EDIT:
More interesting name at least....
Marathon: Iaceo
Marathon: Neco
Marathon: Evito
Marathon: Senmou
Marathon: Atamagaokashii
Marathon: Saikoro

Basic "hook" (reason for doing something...) of the whole scenario. You are given orders to go check out a spaceship/station/base/bunker/whatever...because of reported anomlies/requests/no contact from the area...etc...something like that...If I can think of a better more interesting reason as to why you'd be there, I'll post something.
The idea is to have two seperate "paths"...nothing Rubicon complicated...but have your decisions on some levels affect what level you go to next...but no random-ass jumping around through-out the whole damn scenario.
Perhaps there will be "hints" of sorts as to what is actually going on...things like that.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Nov 11th '06, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 12th '06, 01:05

Something that I find can make a scenario feel scary and unpredictable would be implementing monsters just right.

The original Marathon was certainly scary for a long time, but I've played it for over a decade and now know where all the aliens are. If you want to make a level really unpredictable, set the initial count of a monster type to be less than the number of spawn points. That way you can't be entirely sure if there really is a monster around that corner. Make monsters regenerate constantly to intensify this effect.

Putting monsters in random spots or where they could surprise players really can freak them out, especially if the monsters are strong, loud and look scary. This is a perfect way to introduce monsters into the game for the first time. Groups of monsters teleporting in or coming out from hidden chambers that look like walls (like in Doom) works well, too.
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
Atomic Potato

Post Nov 12th '06, 06:38

for SM im looking for a way to make the "teleport in" look diferent, if this is possible you could make some kind of "scary teleport in" like coming out of the ground or something. or make the monsters walking sequence that blue color so they are invisible and only make their firing sequence visible so they appear only when attacking you. ive played a few games where the enemy will appear in front of you and slashes you with a scyth then disapears making an evil laughing noise.
Dieselfame3

Post Nov 12th '06, 10:17

Grayswandir wrote: You are given orders to go check out a spaceship/station/base/bunker/whatever...because of reported anomlies/requests/no contact from the area...etc...something like that...

That is a quite original idea that almost always work, we just need to make up a good cause. Perhaps reports of people disspaearing and less and less people report back from the base untill there is noone left. You go and check it out and stuff happens. If it where possible, you could have cut scenes of what happens in diffiren places and perhaps with some scripting, people that is acually talking to each other than just text. Some scenes can involve things that happens in your base while you are away, and when you comeback, every one is either gonem or replaced with a shadow/distorted/zombified etc version of themselves, you could use their sound patterns and invers them ot make them slower and such.

Anyone seen the movie "Screamers"?

Yowza

Post Nov 12th '06, 12:34

Yeah, the one where they are kinda like simulacrums and they have a few types like a kid, a woman, a wounded soldier and what not. I forgot if they exploded but I do remember them being disguised.
John Drake
The world's retirement home. (Florida)

Post Nov 12th '06, 13:44

Yowza wrote:That is a quite original idea that almost always work, we just need to make up a good cause. Perhaps reports of people disspaearing and less and less people report back from the base untill there is noone left. You go and check it out and stuff happens. If it where possible, you could have cut scenes of what happens in diffiren places and perhaps with some scripting, people that is acually talking to each other than just text. Some scenes can involve things that happens in your base while you are away, and when you comeback, every one is either gonem or replaced with a shadow/distorted/zombified etc version of themselves, you could use their sound patterns and invers them ot make them slower and such.

Anyone seen the movie "Screamers"?

The problem is with cutscenes is that if they aren't done properly, you can ruin the flow of the whole story/game...I'll haev to see exactly what MML/LUA can do and decide from there...because I don't think you can waypoint monsters. It might be good for little small things like camera zoom and focusing on specifc parts of a level or something like that.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Nov 12th '06, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Previous

Return to Projects