Any interest in a Kill Them All IV?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 14th '12, 15:56

So KTA3, representing the entire body of the series, has 38 maps.

KTA has always been a pretty fun and interesting community project to work on. It's an easy thing to make, doesn't take a lot of time, and it's a fun little diversion of a game to play when it's done.

I'm wondering if there are people out there that would be interested in working on a map or two for a potential KTA4.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 14th '12, 16:13

Sure.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 14th '12, 18:22

Also use this topic as a sounding board for any ideas that would make a KTA4 interesting or improved from KTA3.

(ib wrk)

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 14th '12, 18:32

Can you explain shortly what a kta map is?
Last edited by goran on Feb 14th '12, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 14th '12, 18:52

Stands for Kill Them All -- Here's the first three rounds in one map file.

It's a 100-polygon single player map. Each map is flagged Rebellion and Extermination, with an automatic exit polygon and no terminals. Uses standard Infinity physics and textures.

They've been really fun mapping exercises and I think some of the maps turned out genuinely good. They're fun to play in, but obviously pretty straightforward kill kill kill.

Mostly it's fun trying to come up with an interesting level with cool action setpieces with such a limited pool of polygons.

The projects are nice too because I usually get a couple maps from people that never or almost never make maps at all, and even they turn out to be pretty decent.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 14th '12, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 14th '12, 19:39

I'd definitely look forward to another set of KTA maps, and this is clichéd, but I might be interested in mapping one myself.

I'm resisting the urge to request the allowance of shapes patches. The Infinity shapes restraint is probably best for me, personally, because I always get caught up in gimmicky shapes patches instead of actually mapping anything.

Anyway, could the Regenerator powerup from Phoenix be implemented? Perhaps a weaker one that only charges to x2 health? Maybe a hub system similar to Marathon: W'rkncacnter's? You might have to include terminals for that, thoughâ?¦
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Feb 14th '12, 19:49

Yes, I would be very interested in making a map for KTA4!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Feb 14th '12, 19:58

President People wrote:I'd definitely look forward to another set of KTA maps, and this is clichéd, but I might be interested in mapping one myself.

I'm resisting the urge to request the allowance of shapes patches. The Infinity shapes restraint is probably best for me, personally, because I always get caught up in gimmicky shapes patches instead of actually mapping anything.

Anyway, could the Regenerator powerup from Phoenix be implemented? Perhaps a weaker one that only charges to x2 health? Maybe a hub system similar to Marathon: W'rkncacnter's? You might have to include terminals for that, thoughâ?¦

Shapes patches might be okay. I'd have to get a feel of the idea from other people too.

Regenerators and other gimmicks, definitely not. KTA is all about simplicity and avoiding Lua bullshit.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 14th '12, 19:59

Count me in.
Last edited by listener on Feb 14th '12, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
listener

Post Feb 14th '12, 20:04

RyokoTK wrote:Shapes patches might be okay. I'd have to get a feel of the idea from other people too.

Regenerators and other gimmicks, definitely not. KTA is all about simplicity and avoiding Lua bullshit.

Right then. See what I mean? I think too gimmicky. :)

If simplicity's the goal, then, I'll try to stay away from shapes patches.
Last edited by President People on Feb 14th '12, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Feb 15th '12, 01:11

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'd be interested in making something. I've learned a lot since my failed submission last time.
Image Image

interion

Post Mar 8th '12, 09:57

Hah, I remember KTA! I submitted a map called "Who Flung Dung". It was full of F'lickta. It never made it into any of the packs. It was terrible.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Mar 8th '12, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Return to Projects