Does anyone remember this?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 27th '06, 19:32

Heh, thanks guys (i dont remember my xmas map last year as a very good map though. Actually, i dont remember it at all). I'm missing the forg too... I just somewhat hate this way of talking, its so slow... That's why probably few people have heard anything from me.

But isnt there any equivalent for forg?

Oh by the way, simon, i made 1,5 sigma netmaps some months ago (an undefined building and a half gladiator arena) If you need them, explain me a way to give you a file.

And if this is the kind of forum where topic changing is a crime, please tell me :)

oh, and the project is currently in coma... Not quite sure if i'll ever try to make anything of it. It was a good texturing practice though, no lost time. Maybe ill give it a try if no one needs a mapper anymore.

Hey this is good, if you post two messages they melt together.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Nov 27th '06, 19:42

They only "melt" together if you post twice in rapid succession, but yeah. If I remember correctly, you had the first level of XS1, which definitely wasn't bad, and you'll certainly do even better this time.

And you don't have to chat on the Pfhorums; there is an IRC room to visit, too, if that's your thing. (#alephone at irc.freenode.net)

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 27th '06, 20:09

I don't have IRC (and as far as i know it's paying...?) :(

Anyway, i finally managed to download the textures. You asked for suggestions. I think (most of) the textures look great (the brown rocky and the icy ones were a little disappointing). But i think they will be much better to map with when some tile textures had other-color-variants. Just my first impression. I haven't used them yet.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Nov 27th '06, 21:52

hey Drictelt, if you have some Sigma netmap around you can send
them anytime at: [email protected]
I'm still working on the netpack and also polishing various stuff for chapter 2.
Of all the 3 chapters in the game it's the one that needed more work, unfortunatly!
I don't think i'll be able to map for XMas 2006 tho :/
Goran, remember that i'm always ready to help if you need more textures colors
or a new landscape or something else, just let me know!

ps: maybe i'll be able to make a map after all, i'm not in a rush or anything ;)
FullDiaper

Post Nov 27th '06, 22:14

simon: I think a map from you would be a great addition to this scenario.

Everyone:

Im aiming to get the map and story directions completed until wednesday. (29th november).

If you want to begin mapping before that date make sure that you either make an undergroundbase in any design you want, or a base at the surface. The planet is a frozen water planet. So there's snow, and low tempertures. The base is a human base, that pfhor has taken over long ago. They mine the ice for certain crystals.

If you have an idea for a map that doesn't fit those criterias, talk to me, and we'll try to make room for it anyway.

The most important thing is that the project's mappers can make maps they enjoy doing.
Last edited by goran on Nov 27th '06, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Nov 27th '06, 22:19

Alrighty, can you email me some kind of levels chart?

hey, this seem like an interesting level to do, if you allow me to do it, i'm more than happy!
FullDiaper

Post Nov 27th '06, 22:20

If anyone want to add textures to the set, that's ok, just make sure that the new shapes comes in circulation and reaches all other team members.

goran

Post Nov 28th '06, 15:43

Shadow breaker, Samus, and Tofu, send me an email at [email protected], and I'll return your emails with a story summary.

After you recieve the story summary:

It's time to start mapping!

The story is a bit vague, but it has to be. The actual details of the story will be added after the maps are done, so all mappers have more freedom to map whatever they want. Read it, get a vision for a level, and construct the level.

When everyone on the team has constructed a level, I'll put them together in a good order, and make up a plot. Then it's ryoko's job to write the terminals.

When that is done, every teammember will recieve the scenario, and we will betatest it, and eliminate all bugs. =)
Last edited by goran on Nov 28th '06, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Nov 28th '06, 15:59

Hey, why dont we use the set of previous year too, in the jarro set? Variation is nice.

Drictelt

Post Nov 28th '06, 16:12

never mind, this year's look too good to make a map in the previous set. But, are the switches going to stay like the jjarro switches?

Drictelt

Post Nov 28th '06, 16:28

Yes, they will stay in the jjaro set. Of course, if someone has new switches that look cool, we can use them instead.
Last edited by goran on Nov 28th '06, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Nov 28th '06, 16:39

I'd like to make some but i've never made a texture for an already existing clut, so i dont have an idea how to do it. And if i made them, they wouldnt fit to the others. But i don't understand, if you can make great textures like this, it can't really be a problem to make switches. For example, the center of bitmap 29/30 is not a bad chip insertion (well it wouldnt be if there was an emptyness between the lights) But i think the jjaro switches are horribly prominent (?). I would at least make them a lot darker.

Drictelt

Post Nov 28th '06, 16:56

D-M.A. wrote:I think what he meant was that he will be able to buy beer at a younger age than you did legally. Problem with that is, the legal drinking age is 18 in most countries. USA is one of few exceptions. I've been consuming beer legally for years [MUp]

20 here in iceland, and i'm still buying/drinking it illegally :P

JohannesG

Post Nov 28th '06, 17:13

Drictelt wrote:I'd like to make some but i've never made a texture for an already existing clut, so i dont have an idea how to do it. And if i made them, they wouldnt fit to the others. But i don't understand, if you can make great textures like this, it can't really be a problem to make switches. For example, the center of bitmap 29/30 is not a bad chip insertion (well it wouldnt be if there was an emptyness between the lights) But i think the jjaro switches are horribly prominent (?). I would at least make them a lot darker.

I mostly steal textures, and glue parts from different textures together and stuff like that. I don't create anything from scratch. Anyway, I'll see what I can do. I'll try to make some switches and terminals for the set tonight.

goran

Post Nov 28th '06, 19:47

I'm a sound designer, so if you want, hey, I'll design sounds. Looks like a fun project.

kineticturtle

Post Nov 28th '06, 20:21

Ok I've emailed you goran.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 28th '06, 22:25

While i was working on my level "mining" I've added and improved some textures, the switches were also modified so they blend with the set, it should look good!
Last edited by FullDiaper on Nov 28th '06, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
FullDiaper

Post Nov 28th '06, 23:27

Good initiative!

Simon, can you add this texture to the set too?, either as terminal texture or as a normal texture.

IPB Image

and upload the shapes to the ftp.
Last edited by goran on Nov 28th '06, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Nov 29th '06, 03:07

BTW, this is my 1st scenario (that will be released), I know all the tricks with forge but please don't be dissapointed if it doesn't turn out like you wanted, Ill keep trying thoe as this will help my mapping ALOT...

Email sent... Do you like my idea of the "easter egg", I could make those levels, a cool feature would be that poles could collapse as bob hits them
Samus

Post Nov 29th '06, 03:36

I know all the tricks with forge

I doubt that.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 29th '06, 04:03

Well i didn't mean it as such you are suggesting, I know how to use forge well and know it like the back of my hand, I CAN do many or most of the tricks such as multi texture, split polys, etc... except for ladders (well, I can do the thin stairs :D) as when I flatten them it crashes :P
Samus

Post Nov 29th '06, 10:47

Samus wrote:BTW, this is my 1st scenario (that will be released), I know all the tricks with forge but please don't be dissapointed if it doesn't turn out like you wanted, Ill keep trying thoe as this will help my mapping ALOT...

You're very welcome Samus. This is a friendly project, we don't judge maps and that stuff. Do your best and everything will be fine.

I say no to the secret level. We need real levels.

goran

Post Nov 29th '06, 13:41

Goran, i'm still adding and improving some of the textures and working with your terminals and switches as well. If everything go well we'll have a nice set, it will be a tad bigger than it was ( probably around 50-55 textures ) but since it's only one set, let's make it a worthy addition ;)
FullDiaper

Post Nov 29th '06, 13:49

So eh, how do we get the new textures?

Oh, and are there crystals in the scenery or should i subtly hide them in shafts and containers and this kind of stuff the whole time?

And how do i remove the stupid warn bar next to my messages?

Drictelt

Post Nov 29th '06, 15:01

As soon as simon uploads the new shapes to the ftp I'll make sure all mappers get download links.

dirctelt - Im going to look if we can borrow emr's crystals, but until then, keep them hidden.

simon - don't wait too long to update the shapes on the ftp. It needs to be done soon.
Last edited by goran on Nov 29th '06, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

goran

PreviousNext

Return to Projects