Kill Them All!

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Hey, folks. I have devised a project that I think the whole mapping community can appreciate.

The project is "Kill Them All", which is a very simple single-player project. All you have to do is make extremely small, simple solo levels. Don't worry about plot, storyline, or sensibility -- there won't be any. That's not the issue here. The project will both be for fun and to test your skills as a creative mapper while limited by various obstructions.

If you're interested in the project, here are the rules:

1. All maps must use regular Infinity shapes. I want the download to be small and the project to be simple.

2. All maps must also use regular Infinity physics. Additional physics go awry more often than not, and for the sake of simplicity and consistency, please avoid this.

3. No lua or MML can be added. Again, simplicity. This is about killing monsters, nothing else.

4. No maps can exceed 100 polygons. And don't try to stretch that 100 polygons out to a normal-sized level; I want brief episodes of intense combat here. Use your 100 polygons to make cool architecture and small, complex levels -- not gigantic but horribly bland eyesores.

5. All maps must be flagged as "Extermination," "Rebellion," and "Single Player" only. Cooperative mode is not allowed, nor are any additional objectives or level types. The reasoning is manifold: one, the point of the game is simply to kill monsters. Two, Rebellion starts off each level and each mapper with a completely blank slate -- no collaboration is really needed.

6. No terminals at all. All levels must be exited by an Automatic Exit. Don't worry about proper numbering; I'll handle that.

7. There is no limit as to how many maps you can submit. That said, don't try to theme your maps, or make one flow into another, because I'll jumble up most of the maps. Similarly, don't worry about scaling difficulty. I'd like the levels hard, but not too hard -- and definitely make them beatable.

8. Each level must have a Pattern Buffer somewhere.

I think that's it! There's no official deadline yet... so don't worry. Take your time and make some awesome maps!

To submit them, email the map to RyokoTK@Gmail.com -- but know that, by submitting your map to me, you are agreeing that I can edit your map at will. I can also reject maps if I don't think they're very good.

Post if you're interested and wish to join! It's for fun -- not for competition.
Zott
Vidmaster

Sure, I'll do one, Heck If I can make it as simple as possible, then why not?

Why can't I just attach them as an upload?

Maybe this would be an oppertunity to try out real time lighting. :) ^_^ (Or maybe not)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I find it difficult to make something under 100 these days. I just feel the urge to make them 800+.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:I find it difficult to make something under 100 these days. I just feel the urge to make them 800+.
consider this a challenge then...
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I find it difficult to make something under 100 these days. I just feel the urge to make them 800+.
That's kinda the point.

By the way, an example map is available for download here. Your map doesn't need to be the same length, difficulty, shape, etc, but it's a start.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

This actually sounds quite fun, I think I'll try to participate. I'm still learning Forge since finals and getting my wisdom teeth pulled kinda killed that process when I originally started up...
Anyway...
100 polygons, small, cool looking, lotta monsters, beatable...got it...let's see what kind of eyesore I can create...
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Homocidal Ham
Cyborg

how ironic...
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

It would've taken me less than two hours to make if I didnt need to clean my brother's room.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

qoou wrote:The example map is pretty fun. With a bunch of these, it will be a great little stress reliever pack. I even enjoy it in some ways over netgames; namely, there is a much more finite time to play a level (until you beat it) rather than over an over in a netgame.

I look forward to the results.
are you saying that Ryoko's map is a stress reliever?
...not if you play it on Total Carnage, it was driving me crazy. (although it was heck of a fun)
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

qoou wrote:It's just a fun distraction from this week of final exams. TC on that map is wild, but doable.
it's doable but you need a badass crowd control skills :P
coolguy
Born on Board

Johannes Gunnar wrote:it's doable but you need a badass crowd control skills :P
Call me a egotisitcal, but i still say you haven't had a hard game of marathon until you've tried real enemies step 3(availible from fileball), especially on anything above kindergarten. makes total carnage like taking candy from a baby.

I may make a map or two if i have time over break.

neat idea, i like the demo map.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

alright i've got one map nearly complete for this project and am thinking about doing a second one. ima be out of town most of the holiday so i wont be able to make the second map this month prolly and don't want to hold things up, partly because im excited to play the final product. I'm curious to know how many other mappers are working on maps and what their time frame is. Please be specific and if you think you're going to flake - remember it's a damn small map, do IT!
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Sorry, but until I get my housing situation figured out, I'm putting my map for this project on hold. I don't know what the deadline is, but I'll try to get it in by then.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

No rush, I'm not in a hurry to release this.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

it sounds silly but fun.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Kill Them All currently stands at 11 maps. The current contributors are:

Myself with 3 maps
Kinetic Turtle with 2 maps
Screamingfool with 4 maps
Irons with 1 map
Shadowbreaker with 1 map

I'm taking maps from anyone who wants to submit one, though, as long as it doesn't stink too badly. I've only rejected one map so far. What I have are all exemplary figures: difficult, but fun and novel. The maps I'm getting now are quite good, but we could really stand to get some more authors in here. I mean, it can't hurt. It's a fun and easy project.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I will certainly make at least one map but since your not in a hurry...
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

ryoko, you will get a map from me soon :)
hopefully.. :P
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Okay, I think KTA is at 15 maps or so. I've decided to set the bar at 25 levels, so there's only 10 spaces left.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Ok, well, my first map is almost finished, I need to tweak it a bit and get some of the triggers working prop'ly...I'll get it to you soon...its my first mapping endevor, but I'm sadly, rather proud of it.
The Pf'hak - Read it.