It's high time I started helping out

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Dec 19th '06, 19:59

I love marathon. I've loved it ever since I started playing it (without the high-res textures, I thank you), but up to this point the extent of my participation in this community has been posting the now-almost-outdated comprehensive guide to getting Marathon over in The Underground on Bungie.net, and answering various non-technical questions.

I would like to become more integrated; I would like to learn how to script and map and texture and all the things you need to know in order to make Marathon a more fun game to play. I have a good work ethic (I finish what I start), a creative imagination, and some artistic and analytical talent.

So when do I start? How do I start? What do I need?
Locke

Post Dec 19th '06, 20:31

Hmmm, scripting, i can't do that either. Mapmaking, well, what i did was first making like 80 maps or so which were never played by someone else but me, and only then i discovered the marathon community, so i've never been a real newbie in mapmaking. Though, if you give attention to the design of other people's maps and you show maps to any marathonners and get comment, you'll probably learn faster :D
Texturemaking, i could explain everything people told me about it and everything i experienced myself, and i could do this for every new guy, but it would get boring... Does anyone know if there's some guide to the texturemaking?
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Dec 19th '06, 22:38

well to make maps and other stuff used by Maration, i suggest you get Forge and Anvil which are the Marathon editors.
you can get them here: Anvil and Forge they are mac only so if ur on another OS you will need somthing different. webwonks.org is a good place to learn how to use Forge and Anvil. here is a link to the Forge Tutorials and another for the Anvil Tutorials. There is also an Utilities Page thats got a mass of little tools u can use to enhance your experiance.
Dieselfame3

Post Dec 19th '06, 22:59

I have windows, so I'm using Obed, except this stupid window keeps popping up telling me to register or something, and I can't get it to stop. Plus I can't figure out how to put in doors, terms, or rechargers.
Locke

Post Dec 20th '06, 01:04

All you need is a desire to create something, and some programs you can work with. The rest will take care of itself. I've never tried Obed, but I've heard it doesn't compare to mac's mapeditor Forge.

goran

Post Dec 20th '06, 01:13

goran wrote:All you need is a desire to create something, and some programs you can work with. The rest will take care of itself. I've never tried Obed, but I've heard it doesn't compare to mac's mapeditor Forge.

So I hear. I'm considering getting Basilisk II, but I'm on shaky ground as far as emulators are concerned, knowing next to nothing about how to implement them. Plus there's the issue of you needing a ROM image (whatever that is).

As of now my programs consist of Obed, Blender, and Paint (yes, that's the best image editing program I have).

Edit: I just checked my programs library, and I appear to have an app named 'PhotoSuite III', which sounds like image editing software to me. I'll have to check it out.
Locke

Post Dec 21st '06, 01:43

goran wrote:All you need is a desire to create something, and some programs you can work with. The rest will take care of itself. I've never tried Obed, but I've heard it doesn't compare to mac's mapeditor Forge.

to put it simply: obed just sucks, the window thingy, the polygon/line/point selecting problem is a pain :(
teh shark blaster

slypher

Return to Projects