[NECRO] Codename C

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jun 20th '12, 06:02

So it just randomly occurred to me that I had once promised a scenario a long time ago on these forums, put it on hiatus, and disappeared for almost three years. And lo and behold, my account is still around!

A lot has changed since the last time I was here. A lot more thing occupy my time, both my computers had to undergo a reformat or two. Fortunately, I've backed up most of my files, but I would have to dredge them up from wherever I have them squirreled away. Without the motivation to go and finish the elaborate scenario I originally had in mind when I started Marathon C ages ago, I was considering taking what maps I had done, stringing them together in a linear plot, maybe add another to wrap things up, and calling it a day. At the very least, all the maps I worked on will be out there in some form or other, and they'll all get to be played through.

Perhaps to pad things out I would take some of the maps I've already submitted to other scenarios and refurbish them for this one. I think there were two I submitted to a Xmas project?

Anyway, good to see the old Marathon community is still alive and active. Expect updates in the coming weeks as I reinstall basilisk or learn about whatever new map-making program people are using, and hopefully one day we'll get to see some semblance of completion on Marathon C.
Axle_Gear

Post Jun 20th '12, 10:05

Hi axle gear. I played Rocket Knight adventures last night. [MLaugh]
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jun 20th '12, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Jun 21st '12, 01:53

Welcome back Axle Gear!
Sounds good to me, any new materials are good almost always.

Also, ugh, Basilisk. It worked for me, then quit when I turned on virtual memory,...
listener

Post Jun 24th '12, 16:07

Axle_Gear wrote:Anyway, good to see the old Marathon community is still alive and active.

lol

gmanyo

Post Jun 25th '12, 19:11

Old Marathon community? More like the newer, existing one. I kinda see the "old Marathon community" as being the original Mac version of the Marathon trilogy. Anyways, welcome back. The more the merrier.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Jun 26th '12, 19:31

Destiny wrote:Old Marathon community? More like the newer, existing one. I kinda see the "old Marathon community" as being the original Mac version of the Marathon trilogy. Anyways, welcome back. The more the merrier.

Well, 'old' in comparative terms to a lot of other things on the internet. xD

Now, in trying to come up with a decent number of maps for C, I was considering re-appropriating the two or three submissions I had made to Xmas projects in the past. Would anyone consider it much of a faux paus to see them again in my scenario?
Axle_Gear

Post Jun 27th '12, 08:23

If it works in the game flow, then it works. Also, as purely my own opinion, I hate the sneak and fight game play of the first level. It just doesn't really work for the engine and gives a grinding start to a heavy action scenario. I love the lighting and the level design is fairly nice. Stripped down combat is not the forte of marathon.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jun 29th '12, 01:55

Axle_Gear wrote:Now, in trying to come up with a decent number of maps for C, I was considering re-appropriating the two or three submissions I had made to Xmas projects in the past. Would anyone consider it much of a faux paus to see them again in my scenario?

Not really. Several well-known scenarios include re-purposed older maps. Chances are you'll have to give it an overhaul to work cohesively with other levels, anyway.

Crater Creator

Post Jul 12th '12, 19:42

Alrighty. I've managed to gather together all the maps I had for the scenario so far. Barring computer issues, the work ahead of me involves completely retexturing three levels, reworking all the terminals to streamline the plot and make it linear, and making at least one more level as an endcap. It could be a while before the next update depending on my schedule, but it's looking doable within the next few months.

Edit: I don't remember the last version of C had a Pfhor level in it call 'The Rift.' I was wondering whether or not to include it in the final pack for those who might have played through it, not being entirely satisfied with it myself. Thoughts?
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Jul 12th '12, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 14th '12, 19:35

Well, the computer I had all the latest scenario work on isn't booting up anymore. If things keep up like this I'll probably just have to abandon the project. :(

Has anyone had a problem similar to this before?: When I power on the computer, it powers down by itself and powers up again repeatedly, and sometimes it will repeat a couple of times before staying on without actually loading anything or starting up.
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 14th '12, 19:56

Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
listener

Post Jul 14th '12, 23:47

listener wrote:Are you using a laptop or a desktop?

Desktop. Was just talking with a friend about it, and it did go through a couple of power outages; might be something with the power supply, or worse with the mother board. I'll try to keep you guys posted.
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 15th '12, 19:05

If worse comes to pass, you can probably take out the hard drive and plug it into a new tower.
listener

Post Jul 16th '12, 20:08

...Or keep important things on a flash drive. It's what I'm doing right now. It also frees up the computer of space.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Jul 17th '12, 19:50

I never quite got a chance to copy things over, and as of now I'm declaring my desktop dead. I'm gonna have a friend look at it as soon as I can (ideally tonight), and see if I can at least save the hard drive. Until then the project is on hiatus again.
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 21st '12, 20:13

And now my laptop is succumbing to malware. Before long I'll be down to nothing but a 7 year old Dell and an e-reader. Sorry guys, I just don't think it's going to happen.
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 21st '12, 22:36

And now my laptop is succumbing to malware. Before long I'll be down to nothing but a 7 year old Dell and an e-reader. Sorry guys, I just don't think it's going to happen.
Well, that sucks. Well, good luck to you in the future.

...Or keep important things on a flash drive. It's what I'm doing right now. It also frees up the computer of space.

Just wait until the thumbdrive dies. I got majorly burned by my 32 gig USB dieing on me...
All that school work, memories, and scenarios gone!
listener

Return to Projects