Marathon Scenario Contest discussion *IGNORE THIS*

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Recently, treellama proposed a "three-level scenario contest". Basically, the idea is to create a short scenario for Marathon Infinity (i.e. Aleph One). Whoever has the best scenario wins. Not sure what the reward should be for winning. I've already come up with the idea for Marathon: Grendel.

The poll above has two questions: What should be the level limit? (i.e. your scenario must be within a certain number of levels or it doesn't count)Will you enter the contest?The first is probably more important for the contest, but it is nice to hear if you're going to participate. Also, if you have an idea as to what the reward should be for winning, please let us know.

If your entry doesn't win, don't let it get you down; you always have the next contest, and the next one after that. If you want, you can always upload it to Simplici7y once the contest is over (please don't upload it until the contest is completely finished and the verdict is out; it makes things more fun).

Cheers,
Perseus
Last edited by PerseusSpartacus on Aug 4th '12, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Any sort of contest or community project needs to be as simple as possible. I like the rules for the scenario contest Bungie did back in 97: three levels, including a fourth as an intro level if necessary. That contest did allow shapes patches (hello Missed) and custom physics, but that's about it. Easy to do, and it doesn't alienate people that don't have the time/skills to make a seven-level masterpiece with an entirely new set of textures and so forth.

Also, your sense of humor needs to be re-tuned, dude.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Recently, treellama proposed...
Treellama is responsible for this poll.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

My suggestion: The goal is to make a 30 level Infinity scenario, complete with a convoluted and nonsensical plot. LUA, MML, Shape mods, etc. are all allowed. Judging goes as follows:

Amount of ambition: 10 points
Completion of scenario: 10 points (less complete = more points)
Ambiguity of description: 5 points
How much time travel your plot uses: 20 points
How many textures you use per level: 10 points
How much you manage to piss off Ryoko or W'rk: 30 points (each)

Bonus points for trying but failing to make more than 30 levels.
Last edited by gmanyo on Jul 21st '12, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Perseus, if you hadn't posted already, I would have assumed that this would be troll.

Meh.

What happened to six? :-\

And reward? When was there ever a reward for making Marathon maps?

But, yeah, if I can get weland to work, I would try. No promises.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Also, your sense of humor needs to be re-tuned, dude.
I wasn't aiming for humor. Besides, I usually have way better jokes than that.
Can I release the Marathon: Revengeance beta for this, or does it need to be a brand-new scenario?
Is it a short scenario (as in, seven levels or smaller)? If so, by all means, enter it into the contest.

Cheers,
Perseus
Last edited by PerseusSpartacus on Jul 21st '12, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

PerseusSpartacus wrote:I wasn't aiming for humor. Besides, I usually have way better jokes than that.
lol
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Perseus, Ryoko was talking about you completely missing the other people's jokes. The spaceship one is a joke. 1 polygon? Doesn't that cause glitches with the engine.

As I think about it, it wasn't a joke that you missed. It was sarcasm.

Thanks for the motivation to map though.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

listener wrote:Perseus, Ryoko was talking about you completely missing the other people's jokes. The spaceship one is a joke. 1 polygon? Doesn't that cause glitches with the engine.

As I think about it, it wasn't a joke that you missed. It was sarcasm.

Thanks for the motivation to map though.
QFT <3 <3 <3
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

The spaceship one is a joke. 1 polygon? Doesn't that cause glitches with the engine.
Agh! Boy am I slow today. [MGrin]

Actually, I bet you could do it with three polygons, but oh well.

Cheers,
Perseus
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lol. Most people are choosing the third option for the first question. XD

I seriously should finish what I'm currently working on (the Chains of Memories solo map + the three-level Infinity solo thing + ...)...

Is this the same as what TL is doing with the three map Infinity stuff?

Why does there need to be a reward? Whatever happened to people just doing it out of the kindness of their heart and making people happy?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

That's been such a good motivation thus far for getting people to make maps. I mean, as a community we're pretty much drowning in user-made content these days!

I wonder how many people have actually started making content for this contest, versus how many people who say they might.
interion
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:That's been such a good motivation thus far for getting people to make maps. I mean, as a community we're pretty much drowning in user-made content these days!

I wonder how many people have actually started making content for this contest, versus how many people who say they might.
I've got three unfinished KTA maps I was thinking about merging together and writing some terminals for, so I'm basically already done. Didn't even have to open WELAND. Now I just need to pick a name from my List of Future Marathon Scenarios spreadsheet and I'm good to go.
Image Image
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ignore this topic. All discussion in it should be moved to treellama's post here. Thank you.

By the way, I'm still serious about this Marathon: Grendel project. It'll be great practice before I move on to Ex Pluribus.

Cheers,
Perseus
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have some maps in the works, but the dang terminals elude me...
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

I won't ignore this thread. I'll make the greatest 3 map scenario ever! The first level will be a small, monster-free exposition level with one terminal to send you on your mission in level 2. The second level will be a fists-only rebellion level where you have to destroy every juggernaut on the map (In TOTAL CARNAGE of course). It's also a vacuum map with the lava liquid. The third map will be a copy and paste of the first map with different text in the terminal that doesn't even congratulate you on your achievement. IT'S GENIUS.
irons
Vidmaster

WHY IS THIS A POLL
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
???Durandal???
Cyborg

Oh boy!

this contest sounds extremely exciting! I'm already reserving a name for my scenario, so no one else can use it:

Teh Internets Incident. (or TII for short)

It will feature a completely original plot, featuring many aspects of the pfhorums itself, such as the characters, humour, and plenty of friendly carnage.

Think of it as a tribute to ourselves.

Anyone who wants to help me on this project, feel free to PM me.

See you starside
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

My mind is blown!

And friendly carnage? Is that even possible?
irons
Vidmaster

Durandal347 wrote:[topic="5855"]a completely original plot, featuring many aspects of the pfhorums itself, such as the characters, humour, and plenty of friendly carnage.

Think of it as a tribute to ourselves.
[/topic]
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

yeah, but in 2.5 D?
???Durandal???
Cyborg

listener wrote:My mind is blown!

And friendly carnage? Is that even possible?
Yes, pfhriendly carnage.

But wait thats not all!

It will also feature RyokoTK as possible final boss on the last level.

He'll have over 9000 HP, and you have to fight him singled-handedly (we'll mod the physics to allow only one fist) and as with Vikingboybilly's idea, it will be on a vaccum rebellion level surrounded by lava.

Each of the levels will be named after each section of this board, from descending to ascending order and have an appropriate enemy selection for each one. I.e, TCBY will feature the lowest of the low, and The PFHORUMS will be the final and hardest level.

If you win, you escape and finally become God.
Last edited by ???Durandal??? on Aug 5th '12, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
irons
Vidmaster

Durandal347 wrote:[topic="5855"]Yes, pfhriendly carnage.

But wait thats not all!

It will also feature RyokoTK as possible final boss on the last level.

He'll have over 9000 HP, and you have to fight him singled-handedly (we'll mod the physics to allow only one fist) and as with Vikingboybilly's idea, it will be on a vaccum rebellion level surrounded by lava.

Each of the levels will be named after each section of this board, from descending to ascending order and have an appropriate enemy selection for each one. I.e, TCBY will feature the lowest of the low, and The PFHORUMS will be the final and hardest level.

If you win, you escape and finally become God.[/topic]
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Oh, so it's a port to Aleph One then.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Durandal347 wrote:(we'll mod the physics to allow only one fist)

Why? You punch just as fast(or slow) no matter if you have one or two fists up.