The lost corridors of Boomer

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 3rd '12, 20:08

When I saw that Beta M2 shapes file with remakes of the pfhor texture set from M1 I thought it would be cool to use them in a scenario somehow. Master Chief and I had ideas to use them in the return to pfhor ships in his M4 scenario, but that project has been going nowhere for a long time.

So I'll posit this idea: a community map pack with a new shapes file using only the pfhor texture set from beta M2. The idea will be a reprisal of the dark, truly alien pfhor maps that were in M1.

As for the storyline, my laziest idea is a sudden pfhor attack while Durandal and the SO are cruising in Boomer. Thus we'll get to explore more of boomer that we haven't seen in the trilogy and since Durandal has occupied it as a vessel for so long he is knowledgeable enough to exposit the logic behind it's alien design and the purpose of mysteries like the pfhor egg.

It will be a minimum of 7 maps. With enough ambition it could be 17 maps. With the addition of netmaps, it could max out at 27, and I don't think it's a good idea to make it any bigger than that since too much of a good thing can get old.

The beta shapes file is missing some guns, scenery, and creatures, so someone must volunteer to replace the infinity pfhor texture collection. I'll do it myself eventually if nobody cares, but I guess at this point anybody can make maps with the beta texture set. For now I'm pretty sure the M2 preview plugin has the textures, which can be found here: http://www.simplici7y.com/items/m2-preview-textures-plugin
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Aug 3rd '12, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Aug 3rd '12, 20:47

When will this start and how long will it be going on?

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Aug 3rd '12, 21:28

Why not make three maps using these textures as a shapes patch and submit them to the map contest instead?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 3rd '12, 22:12

VikingBoyBilly wrote:For now I'm pretty sure the M2 preview plugin has the textures, which can be found here: http://www.simplici7y.com/items/m2-preview-textures-plugin

I'm afraid my plugin was made to be compatible with the M2 Shapes file, and so does not include the Pfhor Textures from the M2 Preview (and some from the other collections, for that matter). They're wildly different from the M2/Mâ?? Pfhor textures; only a few even come close to matching up. What you see in the "screenshots" is what you get (save for the obvious one).

You can find Hopper's full M2 Preview Shapes file here on the Story Forum.

By the way, you know you can copy and paste entire collections in ShapeFusion now, right?

EDIT: *Agrees with Ryoko*
Last edited by President People on Aug 3rd '12, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Aug 3rd '12, 22:18

I'd help you except that I'm trying to focus my little freetime on the three map contest.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

philtron

Post Aug 4th '12, 02:42

RyokoTK wrote:Why not make three maps using these textures as a shapes patch and submit them to the map contest instead?

Because I didn't read the thread when I made this.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Aug 4th '12, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Aug 5th '12, 18:08

I might be interested in volunteering durpending on how much attention/sincerity this project may get.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
???Durandal???

Post Aug 5th '12, 22:21

That shapes file from the story forum gets a "missing collection 20" error when you use visualmode.lua on it. I made a new shapes file, which replaces the textures that were scratched out with the originals from M1 as well as others that were missing in the preview. Happy mapping.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Aug 5th '12, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Aug 6th '12, 01:00

Question. Will there be a special physics model for this scenario? If so, how will it change monster behavior? I'm particularly thinking of the S'pht Compilers; before M2, any S'pht on board Boomer were friendly to the SO and not so friendly to the Pfhor.

Cheers,
Perseus
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 6th '12, 01:39

I'm not sure at the moment. I imagine s'pht would change sides on some maps like the bobs do in Infinity from conditions imposed by the story.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Aug 6th '12, 04:27

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm not sure at the moment. I imagine s'pht would change sides on some maps like the bobs do in Infinity from conditions imposed by the story.

Got it.

I'm making a map for the scenario, by the way. For now, it's called 'Captives Heralding the Danish Prince'. The only reason for the title involves the fact that it has to do with Pfhor prisoners (i.e. 'captives') being broken out by other Pfhor who are attacking Boomer. Other than that, I don't really know why I chose the title. I just like it, partly because 'Danish Prince' can mean Hamlet, which is obviously a nice thing to throw in, and also partly because it really sounds like a fan-made map.

Currently, I'm still laying out the map design. It should really remind the player of a number of M1A1 maps, with small slime rivers in the middle of large rooms with curvy walls and stuff. I'll show you more when I get around to texturing it. I'll probably also include some terminal text (not actual terminal code, just stuff showing what some terminals should say).

Cheers,
Perseus
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 6th '12, 16:27

Some other necessities is that F'lickta and L'howon Ticks should be replaced with Hulks and Wasps, respectively.
VikingBoyBilly

Return to Projects