Marathon: Grendel

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 11th '12, 21:17

Previously I have talked about creating a new scenario for Aleph One called Marathon: Grendel. Originally, it was meant as a short scenario, but eventually the idea grew into something very ambitious: a 30-level scenario, complete with intricate plot and action-based gameplay meant to test your solo skills to the limit. Ladies and gentle-cyborgs, I present...

MARATHON: GRENDEL

The basic idea revolves around a virus. A very dangerous virus, capable of destroying entire species. You are not the Security Officer from the main trilogy. You are a Marine Officer in the United Earth Space Guard (UESG, for short), tasked with the infiltration of a Pfhor Battleship. What follows is a fight to the death, dropping you right in the middle of a three-way war. And all the while, an AI pulls the strings of a very dangerous game.

This scenario will offer:
  • Thirty new action-packed levels of solo combat.
  • New characters.
  • New places.
  • Enough battles to fill you with gallons upon gallons of adrenaline.
If all goes well, I plan to release a demo in the reasonably near future. Hopefully, the full game should be out by early next year.

EDIT: First off, after watching some Khan Academy videos, I realized that 'virus' wasn't a very truthful description. In fact, the game is centered on something more like a strain of bacteria. Second, the scenario will actually encompass 26 levels, not the 30 I originally thought it would; my original calculations were off for some reason. Finally, the full game probably won't be out until maybe the end of next year, with the demo hopefully coming out this Christmas.

Cheers,
Perseus
Last edited by PerseusSpartacus on Sep 12th '12, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 11th '12, 21:58

I THINK WHAT MY ASSOCIATE MEANS TO SAY IS THAT YOU SHOULD TRY 3-5 LEVELS FIRST
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 11th '12, 22:06

I'd written a longer post, but I think the previous two replies made it unnecessary.

Make content before you announce your projects, or you aren't going to get a very positive reaction from most people here. Over the years many people have come announcing their great ambitious projects before they've even completed a single map for it. None of them were ever released.

$lave

Post Aug 11th '12, 23:36

the story is very basic so far so heres the main idea,
A virus built out of the remaining parts of leela called LeelaX.V that causes unknown things to go wrong
the rest is just very basic

To be free, there must be blood for ALL.
Last edited by Dugit on Aug 11th '12, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 12th '12, 00:50

Has anyone bothered to collect and archive all of these grand project announcements? Because that could itself be a pretty neat project. Maybe do some follow up research to determine exactly how many months it took them to give up, or figure out what percentage hit specific milestones such as a titlescreen, first concept sketch, first screenshot, or first (last?) map download for beta testing.

All of my posts are going to be size 7 now.
Last edited by interion on Aug 12th '12, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not if I can help it
Image Image

interion

Post Aug 12th '12, 02:05

Wow, has anyone bothered to not be negative? Seriously, I'm really into this project. Dugit has allowed me to borrow a lot of the textures from Marathon: Aeon, so that's one part complete. Also, I've modified the color tables for the Fighters and Troopers to make them more like some of the color tables I've seen in Rubicon. Here's some examples of the new color tables:

[attachment=5701:fighter.png] [attachment=5702:trooper.png] [attachment=5703:bob.png] [attachment=5704:vacbob.png]

Aargh! How'd that infected Vac-Bob get in there? He's gonna spread the virus to the other bitmaps! ;)

Also, I'd like you to know that the plot outline is finished and, believe you me, it will be interesting, in a creepy sort of way.

Cheers,
Perseus
Attachments
vacbob.png
vacbob.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
bob.png
bob.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
trooper.png
trooper.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
fighter.png
fighter.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 3691 times

PerseusSpartacus

Post Aug 12th '12, 02:13

If I may be serious for a moment, their negativity comes from a great deal of experience with projects just like this. Let me ask you two questions: how much solo mapping experience do you have, and why can't you aim for a small number of levels and go from there if it works?
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 12th '12, 02:37

This thread, story, and commentary is oddly familiar to me, as if it were from an olde dream, yet I can't exactly remember...
Last edited by ???Durandal??? on Aug 12th '12, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
???Durandal???

Post Aug 12th '12, 02:42

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Wow, has anyone bothered to not be negative? Seriously, I'm really into this project.

Also, I'd like you to know that the plot outline is finished and, believe you me, it will be interesting, in a creepy sort of way.

All I want is for you to actually complete something instead of posting topics about things you want to make. You've started two projects and only released one screenshot of an empty hallway. That isn't very promising.

If you at least released one map, I'd be able to give you some feedback and see if it looks like you might be capable of releasing something decent.
Last edited by $lave on Aug 12th '12, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Aug 12th '12, 03:07

QUOTE(John Gardner)
"Why can't these creatures discover a little dignity?" I ask the sky. The sky says nothing, predictably. I make a face, uplift a defiant middle finger, and give an obscene little kick. The sky ignores me, forever unimpressed. Him too I hate, the same as I hate these brainless budding trees, these brattling birds.[/quote]

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 12th '12, 04:22

Actually, there are two reasons for my laconic and crude original post. The first was simple logistics; I was posting from my phone. But the second, more compelling reason, is you have another cookie-cutter project with no released content already going on, and why the heck would you think you could manage two at once?

But seriously, dude, you have not released a single map yet. You haven't ever released a single anything except an idiotic physics file that I should have downvoted on general principle. Why can't people start small? Please? Just do something for the mapmaking contest first, and you'll see that that's hard enough using just standard Infinity resources.

Also, unless you have a sweatshop of immigrants churning out products full-time for you, there is no way anyone can make thirty solo maps worth playing by "early next year." Forget it.

ETA: palette-swapping sprites for Phoenix (back in the TGI days) took an afternoon. The game took years to make. You're, like, 0.001% of the way there! [MUp]

ETA2: Quoting from the Ex Pluribus topic

PerseusSpartacus wrote:I must bring you some bad news. I'm going to be postponing work on Ex Pluribus for quite some time

WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 12th '12, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 12th '12, 10:12

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Dugit has allowed me to borrow a lot of the textures from Marathon: Aeon, so that's one part complete.

A word of warning: if you're going to fish for textures in Aeon (most of which have been fished from elsewhere anyway), try and pick out the ones that are cohesive with the regular Infinity textures. (One of) Aeon's main foil(s) was the feeling that many levels were 'texture vomit'. Some scenes could contain over twenty individual textures for the sake of creaming realism. Try and constrict your choices. Don't let your first level be a Founder Effect-brand texture soup.
Last edited by Dugit on Aug 12th '12, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 12th '12, 10:58

Game out early next year. Let us say march. That is ~250 days from now. 30 levels....one level every 8 days for 250 days. Welcome to hell!

goran

Post Aug 12th '12, 14:51

Dugit wrote:A word of warning: if you're going to fish for textures in Aeon (most of which have been fished from elsewhere anyway), try and pick out the ones that are cohesive with the regular Infinity textures. (One of) Aeon's main foil(s) was the feeling that many levels were 'texture vomit'. Some scenes could contain over twenty individual textures for the sake of creaming realism. Try and constrict your choices. Don't let your first level be a Founder Effect-brand texture soup.

Don't worry, I know what's a good bit of texturing and what isn't. I'll be careful in that respect.

Cheers,
Perseus

PerseusSpartacus

Post Aug 12th '12, 14:54

goran wrote:Game out early next year. Let us say march. That is ~250 days from now. 30 levels....one level every 8 days for 250 days. Welcome to hell!

Heh, I'll ignore the sign that says 'Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate', and focus on the levels. ;)

So, expect some screenshots sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Cheers,
Perseus

PerseusSpartacus

Post Aug 12th '12, 16:28

goran wrote:Game out early next year. Let us say march. That is ~250 days from now. 30 levels....one level every 8 days for 250 days. Welcome to hell!

Correction. If he plans to do his other with 30 levels, that's 1 level per 4 days.

The most useful advice in here is to have some material to show.

Take... Quartz? I think that was his handle. He was a relative new-comer to the community, but he had a lot of interesting things to show of, things that grabbed out attention. He had new stuff to show.
listener

Post Aug 12th '12, 16:42

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Dugit has allowed me to borrow a lot of the textures from Marathon: Aeon, so that's one part complete.

Come on guys, he's got one part done. And he's borrowed Bungie's original artwork with a few palette swaps, and that's another part done! Two parts done! Now he just has to get someone to lend him a lot of maps from another scenario and he'll have a third part done as well.

Seriously though, Perseus, I don't know why you can't understand where everyone's negativity is coming from. Talk is cheap. Anyone can flap their mouth about their super cool ideas, but unfortunately:

TALK - ACTION = SHIT

That's where everyone's negativity is coming from: according to mathematics, you're wasting everyone's time by posting shit and posting empty promises.

I understand you keep getting these cool ideas and that's cool. I think everyone here knows what it's like to be burning with creative energy while feverishly sketching out ideas for maps and stories. But thoughts are easy, and the hard part is when you're not burning with creative energy, when you're tired and frustrated and you're sick of looking at the same geometry you've been looking at for months , and you push yourself to keep going. Perseus, you think your posts are saying, "Hey I have these cool ideas, isn't this exciting," but what your posts are actually telling everyone is, "I lack the discipline to complete tangible tasks and I have no respect for your time".

You and I joined these boards at roughly the same time. You know how many posts I've made about scenario ideas I'm "working on"? None. I understand that despite my best intentions I may never accomplish any of them; maybe real life gets in the way, maybe I just get bored of them, maybe it becomes too difficult for me and I give up, maybe I get more interested in a modern engine like UDK, or maybe a meteor falls out of the sky and obliterates me and my computer right as I'm merging all my finished maps. There are dozens of things that can prevent a person from actually following through with their ideas so there's no point in talking about Marathon maps unless they actually exists and are posted on these forums.

So, Perseus, if you want people to stop with the negativity then you need to meet everyone halfway. Don't post your ideas for scenarios and maps unless you can actually post the scenarios and maps as well. It's just a small favor you can do for this community and in exchange this community won't treat you like a moron. So, if you want to show everyone here that you're even vaguely serious about mapmaking then enter the three map contest. You can always use these maps for one of your bigger scenarios later, but just make three maps. They don't even need that much of story. Just make three maps. That's all you have to do. Just make three maps. Quit with the talking and JUST MAKE THREE MAPS.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

philtron

Post Aug 12th '12, 17:21

listener wrote:Take... Quartz? I think that was his handle. He was a relative new-comer to the community

Was he? It could be a coincidence, and I wasn't here when he showed up.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 12th '12, 17:59

If it was a coincidence, I would be surprised.

Thinking about it, he did say something along the lines of him getting back into the community.
Last edited by listener on Aug 12th '12, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
listener

Post Aug 12th '12, 18:35

It was the quartz. I still got the 100 or so emails we exchanged. :)

goran

Post Aug 12th '12, 18:37

Okay, here's something I think you guys aren't understanding. I'm not doing this while I'm working on Ex Pluribus. I'm postponing work on Ex Pluribus for now, that way I can focus on Grendel. I just feel like Ex Pluribus doesn't really grab me the way Grendel does, if you know what I mean.

Also, when I said 'game out by early next year', I meant that, at some point in the early parts of next year (say, late winter to early spring), I will release the game. When I finish the first six or so levels, I'll release a demo. In the meantime, I'll release screenshots as I make levels. Now, I could use some help with mapping. If you feel like you want to help me make some of the maps, that would be just fine by me. I'll tell you what maps I need and how I need them done, then the rest is all yours to command. I will, of course, give you the shapes file to use so you can texture your maps as well.

Furthermore, I need chapter/terminal artists (I don't trust myself to make chapter/term art, despite how much I love drawing and stuff) and musicians (for the theme music, of course). If you want to take up one of these roles, send me a private message with an example of your work. I'll let you know what I need and you can turn it into a reality. Every little bit helps, you know.

Cheers,
Perseus
Last edited by PerseusSpartacus on Aug 12th '12, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

PerseusSpartacus

Post Aug 12th '12, 18:43

good luck my son

best of luck to all of you in the future
Last edited by irons on Aug 12th '12, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 12th '12, 18:53

Guys!
Attachments
whatif.jpg
whatif.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

goran

Post Aug 12th '12, 18:54

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Now, I could use some help with mapping. If you feel like you want to help me make some of the maps, that would be just fine by me. I'll tell you what maps I need and how I need them done, then the rest is all yours to command.

PerseusSpartacus wrote:... send me a private message with an example of your work.
Perseus

You just don't get it, kid.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

philtron

Next

Return to Projects