Kindred Spirits

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Oct 10th '12, 20:02

This was going to be my submission for Treellama's map contest, but Killed By Them All was looking so good I didn't want to be humiliated, so I'm submitting it late.

Kindred Spirits is a three-level (plus one intro level) mini-scenario for Marathon Infinity. The events take place after those of Phoenix. This game isn't as difficult; there's not as much of a focus on over-the-top battles, saves and heals are easier to come by, and on the whole the levels are just more doable, but no less complex; the second level in particular is huge.

Download

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 11th '12, 02:11

Welp, it's time to release those HUDs. Expect to see them on Simplici7y before the month's out.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Oct 14th '12, 20:45

Got a chance to play though it, Pretty fun what not having the assault rifle does for game play. I only found about half the secrets, but even then I was practically drowning in ammo. I really liked the aesthetic of Dr.Tycho's Castle.

Also found two issues on When the Water Breaks:

Can fall through the window here:

Terminal here is missing a picture:
Last edited by Dracheseele on Oct 15th '12, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dracheseele

Post Oct 16th '12, 21:00

Fun, as usual. Terminals seem more polished/interesting this time around, maybe I was just too busy shooting at things to notice in Phoenix.

On a different note (probably been stated before, but fuck it):
I feel like jugger battles are pretty much worthless in terms of gameplay, they're just gigantic ammo sinks - which I suppose if that's what you want is fine, but the discrepancies between Total Carnage and other modes makes that hard to balance. Basically a battle of "find what I can stand behind to block the warpeados, and still spam fusion charges while ducking around it". Had you eliminated that entire hangar sequence and instead jumped straight to the chip pickup + hunter battle, that would've been a lot more enjoyable and not broken the flow of things.

Compressed Output reminded me a lot of a M:Evil level... It's been years since I've played so it's hard to exactly pinpoint (though I suspect it was their heavy usage of the Water tileset mixed with indoor/outdoor areas), otherwise, nothing particularly notable.

I did really enjoy the segmented nature of the last level though - that's always present throughout your maps, but the bulkheads and general layout really reinforced that. Nicely paced, not too confusing, overall a really solid level. In comparison to Tycho's Castle, I found myself doing the dreaded 'find the unlocked door' hunt after I'd killed everything on the level. Visually though, definitely one of your stronger maps.

I dunno, maybe some mapping/gameplay cruft is just the residue of a more fleshed out story.

That's my 2 cents, always nice to play more of your scenarios. Maybe I'll fire up Rubicon again for old times sake.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Oct 17th '12, 04:18

The Juggernauts have only half their normal health, though, so there's that at least. The hangar battle is a callback to the hangar battle in Phoenix, which in turn was a callback to the hangar battle in TGI. :)

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 17th '12, 05:46

[attachment=5796:kickstarter.jpg]
Attachments
kickstarter.jpg
kickstarter.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
patrick
末法

Post Oct 17th '12, 05:54

Lh wrote:I feel like jugger battles are pretty much worthless in terms of gameplay, they're just gigantic ammo sinks

I haven't played these maps. Do you have to kill them to proceed? I've always seen Juggernauts as enemies to avoid rather than kill. Seems in most situations there's a choice between evasion and dumping ammo to put an end to the evasion.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Oct 17th '12, 13:54

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I haven't played these maps. Do you have to kill them to proceed? I've always seen Juggernauts as enemies to avoid rather than kill. Seems in most situations there's a choice between evasion and dumping ammo to put an end to the evasion.

You have to grab an uplink chip that's behind them and then head back up a relatively slow lift, so you'll probably get killed if you try to run past them. It's not really an ammo expense since you're given I think ten fusion batteries right before the fight. All it takes is time.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 18th '12, 05:42

"RyokoTK" wrote:Callback

I did notice that.

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I haven't played these maps. Do you have to kill them to proceed? I've always seen Juggernauts as enemies to avoid rather than kill. Seems in most situations there's a choice between evasion and dumping ammo to put an end to the evasion.

Depends on the way things are organized, in this case if you tried to avoid them you'd trigger ~8 or so hunters that swarm the lift you have to ride back up. You'd have to be very fast on your feet and lucky to not take a load of warpeadoes up your rear and still avoid the hunters.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about the ammo expense - I was merely noting that it was a very weak and tedious battle, and the necessity of cheesing it really broke the immersion.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Oct 19th '12, 22:47

I didn't touch on it earlier, but the Special cyborgs were an interesting change of pace. The high velocity grenades were extremely accurate, but not unfair. While they had little attack power, The combination of the high speed and the explosion right in your face effect made them feel really strong and threatening. Several times I had to take a second look at my remaining life after an encounter with them cause I felt like I took far more damage than I actually did.

Though In comparison the flame attack they had felt lack-luster. While I'm sure its quite painful I never actually felt threatened by it. It also didn't come up very often since most of the encounters with them are at a longer range.

Still, the grenade attack is fantastic.
Dracheseele

Return to Projects