Marathon: Phoenix 1.1 development log

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 7th '10, 22:03

On the ammo: I only had a problem on the first or second level with the fusion rifle. But it was solved by not using it as my main weapon.

Extra level?

Uh... will my current saved game still work?
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jul 7th '10, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

ukimalefu

Post Jul 7th '10, 22:28

ukimalefu wrote:On the ammo: I only had a problem on the first or second level with the fusion rifle. But it was solved by not using it as my main weapon.

Extra level?

Uh... will my current saved game still work?

No, it won't. (But it wouldn't have worked anyway, there are lots of other map fixes.)

In my opinion anyway, there is generally enough ammo on each level to survive... maybe not comfortably, but without having to fall back on fists. If you're good at finding secrets, you'll do a lot better. So I mean, using the level skip isn't the end of the world.

Edit: alternatively you can just not worry about it, since none of the bugs are fatal.
OR, you could even play the game twice.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 7th '10, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 7th '10, 22:53

ray wrote:[attachment=3950:steve.png]teve doesn't want you to know it, but I am courageously braving his wrath to inform you all that Phoenix has been released. Go here to download it now before Steve takes over that site too and deletes it entirely.

Who is steve?
Ray, im glad that you have started to use yourself as the target of your trolling and not us.
Also, sick new .Gif avater!
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 7th '10, 23:30

On the 1st level, I felt the final battle was little bit too easy with the S'pht Kr on your side, often one juggernaut would be killed before I even got from the save point to the battle. (This was playing on Normal)
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 7th '10, 23:50

Dis wrote:On the 1st level, I felt the final battle was little bit too easy with the S'pht Kr on your side, often one juggernaut would be killed before I even got from the save point to the battle. (This was playing on Normal)

That's intentional. I don't much care for Pfhor Juggernauts, but I like that fight. All the Defenders make it go quickly.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 8th '10, 01:43

Hm. I know people can barely contain themselves to point out bugs in the game so far, but here's a list that I've already conquered, just to prevent people from being redundant.

* Fixed typo on main screen (well, Drictelt fixed it, anyway)
* Welfare ammo
* Made the instructions more clear in the lab area on "A Space Marine Is You"
* Removed the idiotic Drone ambush midway through the same level
* Fixed up a couple secrets on "Enchanting New Mexico"
* Fixed stairs on "The Bistromath" that seemed to confound monsters
* Made the big lawn battle near the beginning of "The Count of Tuscany" slightly easier
* Fixed some missing textures on "Shades of Gray" and "Something Wicked"
* Fixed z-fighting textures on "Vampire Killer" and "A Change of Seasons"
* Fixed a waterfall on "A Change of Seasons" where a Cyborg would almost always get stuck
* Made "Escape Two Thousand" substantially easier, especially in that awful southeast corner (with the 2x canister and the two lifts)
* Adjusted a couple switches on the same level
* Removed a plot error on "Tantive IV"
* Adjusted the final battle on "Another Dimension" slightly
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 8th '10, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 8th '10, 10:15

RyokoTK wrote:* Adjusted the final battle on "Another Dimension" slightly

Adjusted?
Should I be worried? Because that battle, even with the "edge" you can get over your opponents, was still super hard.
I guess the best way to describe the combat would be "unforgiving."

I don't want to spoil anything, but if anything interrupts your movement, your done. And you can't change direction.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 8th '10, 12:55

MoppyPuppy wrote:Adjusted?
Should I be worried? Because that battle, even with the "edge" you can get over your opponents, was still super hard.
I guess the best way to describe the combat would be "unforgiving."

I don't want to spoil anything, but if anything interrupts your movement, your done. And you can't change direction.

I just moved the 2x cans to more accessible locations, nothing major.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 8th '10, 17:43

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Who is steve?

Steve is $lave.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jul 9th '10, 04:02

I can't replay Phoenix recordings (error 0).

Some of the Marine torsos have some pixels on the corners.

The yellow S'pht'Kr fires blue bolts, but their detonation is green.

It would also be cool if the Katar's shot detonated purple, rather than green.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jul 9th '10, 04:11

President People wrote:I can't replay Phoenix recordings (error 0).

Some of the Marine torsos have some pixels on the corners.

The yellow S'pht'Kr fires blue bolts, but their detonation is green.

It would also be cool if the Katar's shot detonated purple, rather than green.

Neither of the latter two are likely to change due to how what Anvil dubs "Effects" work in the engine.

The first one... I dunno lol.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 9th '10, 09:57

I'm positive the detonation effects can be fixed with custom level physics. There's a pletora of unused effects for each level that comes from liquid splashes and scenary effects that are not used. Any of these could be made into a copy of the sphtkr effect and given a blue colortable. For example, in a lava level you could use water splash, and in a water level you oculd use lava splash.
Last edited by goran on Jul 9th '10, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jul 9th '10, 18:07

brilliant wrote:Steve is $lave.

oh, cool... now, who is Patrick?
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 10th '10, 20:34

More stuff, huh boy:

* Escape 2000. I think some people don't like it very much. I can see why. Therefore, at the end of Exercise in Excess, rather than leading directly into E2K, you get to make the choice of going to E2K (the slow, atmospheric jumping level) or Red Eye Express (a more high-octane, close quarters slugfest).
* Music is now operated by MML rather than Lua, at Treellamer's request.
* Enemies will now die when they fall into the pits on Roquefortress.
* More secrets. I do like them. I think the skulls add a bit of something to the game that sort of unconsciously drives people to go searching and exploring a little deeper. Therefore, I added a few just to get the total count up to an even 100 for all 21 levels, and have added a second counter that sums up all of them you've found. (Technically the sum is 106 over 22 levels, but you cannot play both E2K and Red Eye Express in one playthrough, and both have 6 secrets apiece.)
* Multiplayer will probably be ready for 1.1. There are currently 5 maps. Two of them were made fairly recently and have not been played by anyone. Three of them were made a couple years ago and were since retextured and folded into Paradife Loft, but as I cannot let a decent texturing job go to waste, I'm going to add them in anyway. ::deal with it::

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 11th '10, 00:02

RyokoTK wrote:Number two is a secret level, "Energy Tune." This one was made by Goran.

Number three is the level "Return to Earth from Heaven."

What ever happened to those two?

Also, in Escape Two Thousand, I know its asking a lot, but it could probably be the coolest level ever if there were two things:
1. No Spht'kr while traversing lava, only on solid ground.
2. Something really volatile behind the glitch protected enforcers, sending enemies into the lava rather than killing them would just be really cool, and deliciously satisfying.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 11th '10, 00:29

MoppyPuppy wrote:What ever happened to those two?

Also, in Escape Two Thousand, I know its asking a lot, but it could probably be the coolest level ever if there were two things:
1. No Spht'kr while traversing lava, only on solid ground.
2. Something really volatile behind the glitch protected enforcers, sending enemies into the lava rather than killing them would just be really cool, and deliciously satisfying.

I did a lot of plot reconfiguring and stuff and realized I just didn't have any place for goran's maps. He's still credited for his hard work, but ultimately I didn't think they'd really fit.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 11th '10, 02:47

I found one skull on spht storm.

I think I may have screwed myself out of all the rest. One is in the center of the level, visible through a grating in a room with a terminal.
BUT THE DOOR IS LOCKED.

Which means I probably closed that door when I hit a switch right?
Then there is another on a super high ledge. I thought you said there was no rocket jumping required? I can only surmise that the terminal in that previous room would have taken me to the top of that ledge.
And the other 2.

I have absolutely no idea.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 11th '10, 02:55

MoppyPuppy wrote:I found one skull on spht storm.

I think I may have screwed myself out of all the rest. One is in the center of the level, visible through a grating in a room with a terminal.
BUT THE DOOR IS LOCKED.

Which means I probably closed that door when I hit a switch right?
Then there is another on a super high ledge. I thought you said there was no rocket jumping required? I can only surmise that the terminal in that previous room would have taken me to the top of that ledge.
And the other 2.

I have absolutely no idea.

I would really, honestly appreciate it if you would stop framing your own inability to think critically and open your eyes as lying and deviousness on my part to screw you over. Jeez.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 11th '10, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 11th '10, 03:20

RyokoTK wrote:I would really, honestly appreciate it if you would stop framing your own inability to think critically and open your eyes as lying and deviousness on my part to screw you over. Jeez.

I found all but one.
I have to say that for 1.1, you might want to think about putting some freakin' clues to finding secrets in sphtstorm.

The exposed skull on the impossibly high ledge, I'll take that one. Not sure how I didn't see how to get up there.
The 2 hidden skulls, are just plain stupid. The walls they are behind have no indication of being secret doors, the only way to find them is to tag every single wall in the map with the action button. That's not exploring, that's tediousness.
1 skull is well hidden. I liked this skull. Has you go through a seemingly solid wall, but you feel smart when you find it.
Can't remember where I found number 5.
There is only 5.

Now the only skull is behind a locked door. I can only imagine the stupidity required to reach this. There is no way to open the door. I figure it might be triggered on a time limit by stepping on a shiny polygon. I've ran back to it hundreds of times, but its always locked. If its a hidden switch, its impossibly hidden.

Above all, hidden skulls that have no clues as to where they are, are NOT fun.
They do make players explore more, for hours, and that satisfaction is replaced by frustration by means of "how was I supposed to figure that out!?"

There is no critical thinking to open the door.
I need to know how to get into that room!

FOUND IT!
Woohoo!
Seriously though, no indication or hint toward the solution.
You could of made it flicker, or something. Also it was totally obscure.
Last edited by MoppyPuppy on Jul 11th '10, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Previous

Return to Projects