Marathon: Phoenix 1.1 development log

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 1st '10, 15:22

Having played through all of Phoenix's levels, and having been part of the testing group since Ryoko began "TGI:B" around 2007, I can say that you will get used to the new fusion gun. At first, I thought it was hopelessly weak, but nothing could be farther from the truth. It was definitely the gun I used most.

Phoenix is interesting in that it really does change the balance of the weapons. All other scenarios I've played - let's use Rubicon as an example - didn't bother. Sure, they featured upgraded or new weapons, but the weapon pecking order remained the same.

In Phoenix, you have to think about what's best for a lot of the situations. When I was walking around unsure of what was going to ambush me next, I had the AR out: Its ability to stun enemies even at medium range usually gave me enough time to switch to some other weapon if I needed to. A large group of mechanical guys usually earned one or two EMPs followed by careful mop-up with the fusion cannon. A bunch of Pfhor/Renegade fighters earned IMP spam in their faces. The crossbow, of course, was pretty much made to take out those goddamn enforcers. I must say I found the new flamethrower almost useless, but in testing Escape 2000 last night, I had a fun time with it. I even took advantage of the downward curve of its fire to kill some guys who were otherwise impossible to hit.

All of this takes some getting used to, but you will probably see what I'm talking about when you start playing the full game.
Last edited by irons on May 1st '10, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 1st '10, 20:48

Rubicon in particular has a horrible weapon balance. The Fusion Rifle completely overshadows everything else. Spams as well as the AR and does double damage against Hunters and Compilers? And CLund loved to use Hunters.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 4th '10, 10:52

Remember to change all the doors so that the player can't use the ultimate TC survival tactic.
"Keep closing the door."

Enemies teleport in. But no matter how tough they are, if the player can shoot through the small opening of a closing door, the game might as well be on Kindergarten.

Fast opening and split doors nullify this tactic.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 4th '10, 11:14

why arent you banned already?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 4th '10, 13:36

MoppyPuppy wrote:Remember to change all the doors so that the player can't use the ultimate TC survival tactic.
"Keep closing the door."

Enemies teleport in. But no matter how tough they are, if the player can shoot through the small opening of a closing door, the game might as well be on Kindergarten.

Fast opening and split doors nullify this tactic.

I think it's fine to leave it up to the player not to do this.

$lave

Post May 4th '10, 13:57

$lave wrote:I think it's fine to leave it up to the player not to do this.

That's basically my policy, although most of my levels don't have very many doors to begin with. If you want to cheese your way through Phoenix, that's your own decision, not mine.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 5th '10, 04:31

CryoS wrote:why arent you banned already?

He's funny to listen to. He still doesn't understand that I've replaced him in being annoying loser of the Pfhorums.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post May 5th '10, 09:00

Well in levels such as RoqueFortress where you walk into the center of a 'plus' shaped hallway and get ambushed from every angle, aside from just memorizing the death traps, cheese can be the greatest weapon.

I'll use Hallowed Be Thy Name as an example.
I used the cheese method many a time on Total Carnage. Almost every enemy in this level teleports in all over you. So your immediately surrounded by various enemies, some with homing rounds. I guess the garrison was completely vacant until the player showed up.
But besides that, here is an illustrated example of TGI on TC from my point of view.

MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 5th '10, 11:54

You're talking about the rocket launcher trap on Roquefortress, I suspect. In which case -- you're given all you need to win that fight right there. You can clear out probably 80% of the enemies in just a couple shots, and then you can clean up the stragglers with the AR/fusion. But anyway, despite the name, Roquefortress is cheese-resistant because the doors stay open forever, so you can't play any games like that.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 5th '10, 11:58

:,-)
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 5th '10, 12:44

Is W'rkncacnter (the person on this forum) a part of this?
I always thought that the technology he used to create his WETPEACK could be implemented in levels such as Something Wicked.
I haven't checked the dates on the releases, but maybe it was simply because the WETPEACK was created after the demo was released.

Also, its been awhile, I think I mentioned it before, but I'm excited for this scenario so I'd like to use a preventative reminder to prevent the tragedy that befell Apotheosis.

BACKUP Marathon: Phoenix
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 5th '10, 13:00

W'rk is not involved, and I'm not a fan of Lua Precipitation (it tends to lag my computer) so, no dice.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 19th '10, 02:43

I'm just waiting on the boxes, now. The game's been beta-tested now by a handful of trusted and observant sources, and myself, on multiple difficulties, so that's basically done. The terminals are all fully finished and have been proofread and touched up to patch up as much as possible for inconsistencies, grammatical errors, and so on. So what remains? Well...

1) Images. This is the big thing, really. Drictelt is working on that but he has made it clear that that won't be done for a little bit yet. With luck he'll be done in the next 6 weeks or so. If these were already done then Phoenix would be out by now, but because they're not, this gives a little bit of time to work on...

2) Music. CryoS has already produced three great songs, in addition to the title theme, and I have good faith that he can make a handful more in the next few weeks as well. If push came to shove, this could be released after the scenario itself, but I'd like to have all of it out at once, so... that's that.

3) One last single-player level. This would be the 5th and final secret level desired, but it's no big deal if the level doesn't get finished since it has nothing to do with the plot. I'm working on the level now, but I've already thrown out one that I was halfway done texturing so it may not happen. But this isn't going to hold up the release.

Netmaps will most likely be released at some point after the scenario itself since I find it highly unlikely anyone will play it for the multiplayer except as a novelty.

Anyway, I'm super excited because Phoenix is really quite close at this point to being totally done!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 19th '10, 05:19

By Images, do you mean just Imagefile images? Or terminal picts and chapter screens?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 19th '10, 05:36

I could try to make a song for you.

gmanyo

Post May 19th '10, 07:18

Shadowbreaker wrote:By Images, do you mean just Imagefile images? Or terminal picts and chapter screens?

all three.

And even without much luck, I expect to have them done by the 30th of June.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post May 19th '10, 09:48

What's taking so long? Perhaps I could lend you a few noobish 3d models for the chapter screens or something.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 19th '10, 12:20

school is :(
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post May 19th '10, 12:40

gmanyo wrote:I could try to make a song for you.

No, that's not necessary. I'm really happy with Cryos's work and he's going at a pretty good pace for me.

Shadowbreaker wrote:What's taking so long? Perhaps I could lend you a few noobish 3d models for the chapter screens or something.

Also not necessary, since I asked Drictelt for extremely simple chapter screens.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 19th '10, 17:39

As an aside gmanyo, do the world a favor and change your stupid avatar.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 19th '10, 18:02

I hate to be nosy, but what are you going to replace the "Power of One" boss with, on the different last level? Or not replace it at all? Or no boss at all?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post May 19th '10, 18:54

Well now I can't spoil everything, can I? There is a final boss battle, that's all I will say.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 15th '10, 15:51

Pardon me for asking, but what is the clut trick? I might find this useful.
Also, great work on this scenario! looks fantastic!
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 2nd '10, 02:29

[attachment=3950:steve.png]teve doesn't want you to know it, but I am courageously braving his wrath to inform you all that Phoenix has been released. Go here to download it now before Steve takes over that site too and deletes it entirely.
Attachments
steve.png
steve.png (181 Bytes) Viewed 3505 times

ray

Post Jul 7th '10, 19:58

Well Phoenix fell into the cycle of modern games, wherein the product is barely out the door and I'm already working on version 1.1. This was set off by having an obvious typo pointed out to me on the main menu screen, and it's just kind of fallen from there.

Here's some of the more important stuff to look forward to. Any input would be superb, now that people have actually had a little bit of time to play the game and see what's working well:

1. "Welfare ammo." Strict ammo conservation was not something I was aiming for as part of Phoenix's difficulty, but it seems like a fair amount of people hardly have enough ammo to scrape through to the next level. That's frustrating and not fun, since Phoenix's combat isn't really conducive to punching. But on the other hand, by raising the ammo on the map itself, it removes that category of difficulty from people that are surviving with what they have but aren't completely inundated with bullets. Soooooo, what I've done instead is implemented a bit of Lua-based ammo gifting: basically, if you finish a level and your ammo for a given type is extremely low, you'll be given a little boost leading into the next level. For example, if you have fewer than 12 IMP magazines at the end of the first level, you will be set at 12 when you enter the second.

This way, people that are doing okay with ammo don't get any more, but people that are really struggling will hopefully be able to make it further. Also, this has no effect on vidding; if you level skip, you will still only start with one IMP and five magazines. (Trust me, it's doable -- on TC without secrets.)

2. "Red Eye Express." I had a level about half-done at one point before I ran out of steam. This was maybe a month and a half ago, and I didn't want to agonize over the level and let it hold up the rest of the scenario any further. So I put it away and went ahead with the 21 levels I had. Well, now that level, Red Eye Express, is finished. It will fall in between Escape Two Thousand and Tantive IV.

3. A battery of annoying small bug fixes and tweaks, from stuff like Z-fighting errors in OpenGL Shader on a couple levels to monkeying with secrets and fixing annoying ambushes and that sort of thing. Any little nagging issues in this regard should be pointed out so I can make sure to clean it all up and hopefully avoid a 1.2.

4. The typo, of course, is fixed.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 7th '10, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects