Codename: Marathon C

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 31st '07, 14:53

While I'm trying to get everything up and running reasonably well on PC, I've been firing up the old Macintosh to pump out a few levels that I hope I can assemble into a nifty scenario. I plan on using all the original MInf shapes, weapons, etc, which may require me to come up with some innovative ways to use them (I already made a really, REALLY cool mapping trick that should find its way into more than one level).

The scenario takes place shortly after the first Marathon game. The player is one of many people who were captured aboard the Marathon, put into stasis, and eventually found himself on a strange Pfhor occuppied world maintained completely by automated machines and robots. The first level is the player's escape, after which he hooks up with the rest of the BOBs who have established a makeshift operation to scrounge up a way to get away from the planet and to another human world.

I'm shooting for anywhere between 10 and 15 levels, which possibly includes multiple paths, back-tracking, and multiple endings. Needless to say, it has the potential to be very short, maybe around 5 or 6 levels if the player chooses a quick path. The levels would be relatively small for the sake of keeping things snappy and tense for such a short game, but there may be one or two big ones to help create a barren, creepy feel when the player isn't fighting.

So far, there are three levels thoroughly done, complete with physics and terminals (sans pictures).

I might unveil more information and some screenshots as things progress. If anyone has any requests or suggestions for the game, I could try to work them in. It would also be a big help to maybe receive a map or two, even if they're incomplete scraps. At the moment, I'm looking for anything that is or ressembles:

-A broken hulk of a ship drifting in space, especially if the player can go both inside and outside the ship.
-A water/sludge filteration plant
-A tall tower with multiple rooms inside to fight through to reach the top.

Of course, I'll give credit where credit is due. Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Axle_Gear

Post Jul 31st '07, 15:08

Lookin' forward to see some screenz

JohannesG

Post Jul 31st '07, 15:51

Some representation of what you have already would be keen, yes.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 1st '07, 01:45

Screenshots away!

I didn't feel like signing up for a place to upload them, so I just have them as attachments to this post.

The Jjarro shots are of the first map, where the player makes his escape.
The Sewage shots are of the second map, where the player goes if he kills everything in the first one.
The Water shots are of the third map, where the player begins exploring and tooling around with some of the technology on the planet, which will lead to the better part of the game.
Attachments
Preview_Shot_3.JPG
Preview_Shot_3.JPG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
Preview_12.JPG
Preview_12.JPG (44.39 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Preview_11.JPG
Preview_11.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
Preview_9.JPG
Preview_9.JPG (46.11 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
Preview_10.JPG
Preview_10.JPG (53.81 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
Preview_8.JPG
Preview_8.JPG (56.38 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
Preview_Shot_1.JPG
Preview_Shot_1.JPG (44.51 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Aug 1st '07, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Aug 1st '07, 01:53

I'm really looking forward to the scenario...
the only thig that bothers me (forgive me for this) one one screen i see a pistol and 2 mags... woulnd it be stupid to just let them lay there?mabe in a locker or something.. but thats just me.. it looks good as it is...
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Aug 1st '07, 02:14

CryoS wrote:I'm really looking forward to the scenario...
the only thig that bothers me (forgive me for this) one one screen i see a pistol and 2 mags... woulnd it be stupid to just let them lay there?mabe in a locker or something.. but thats just me.. it looks good as it is...

The idea is you've unexpectedly awaked from statis while the machines were picking apart other things (namely, those items in that screenshot). Since they aren't anticipating an angry marine charging around, the pistol and ammo are on the table.

Of course, if I wanted them to be REALLY smart, I could start the player off surrounded by dozens of compiliers in while he's in Rebellion mode, but I think the game is probably challenging enough as it is. ;)
Axle_Gear

Post Aug 1st '07, 02:28

Well, you are certainly no novice mapper. Those are some interesting screens.

Unfortunately my motivation for single player maps is limited, and directed to my own scenario anyway, so I can't help you much. But those are some very impressive images, and I really hope you find the help you want.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 1st '07, 03:18

you know the trick the flying cube?
if you dont, ill try find the web page with instructions.. its quite cool
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Aug 1st '07, 04:02

That trick sucks. It's hacky and looks terrible and it's impractical.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 1st '07, 05:58

You're definitely experienced in the mapping category, and the story line seems interesting enough. I'll see if I could whip out a map or two...

However, I have no promises...

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Aug 1st '07, 07:54

Axle_Gear wrote:It would also be a big help to maybe receive a map or two, even if they're incomplete scraps. At the moment, I'm looking for anything that is or ressembles:

I have been making a project myself, of which i considered the storyline quite a while ago, and i have indeed made a water filtration plant for it. Only I dont know if youll really be able to use it because it was made in a set of unhandy textures (also my own), so i had to design the map for them to look good, and possibly most other textures would look bad in it. And it wasnt really great altogether. And one room was a little buggy.

But if you want it ill send it to you :)
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Aug 5th '07, 21:37

More screenshots!

These are all of the fourth level. I'm still tweeking it, but for the most part it's done. This one involves some interesting crossfire platforming in the beginning.
Attachments
Preview20.JPG
Preview20.JPG (61.92 KiB) Viewed 6868 times
Preview19.JPG
Preview19.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 6868 times
Preview17.JPG
Preview17.JPG (66.46 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
Axle_Gear

Post Aug 5th '07, 21:45

Axle_Gear wrote:-A broken hulk of a ship drifting in space, especially if the player can go both inside and outside the ship.
-A tall tower with multiple rooms inside to fight through to reach the top.

1: return to marathon, lvl 1
2: in EVIL, the sewer level with the bitch of a code that [spoiler]u had to use the map to figure out.[/spoiler]
3: Marathon 2: the part where u go to the base of the tower, then in the tower (separite lev.) use the in the tower map (u know, the one with all the fl'ickta and cyborgs
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Aug 5th '07, 23:57

Phortiphy wrote:1: return to marathon, lvl 1
2: in EVIL, the sewer level with the bitch of a code that [spoiler]u had to use the map to figure out.[/spoiler]
3: Marathon 2: the part where u go to the base of the tower, then in the tower (separite lev.) use the in the tower map (u know, the one with all the fl'ickta and cyborgs

I think he probably means maps that weren't used in other scenarios.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 5th '07, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Aug 6th '07, 08:05

Phortiphy wrote:1: return to marathon, lvl 1

Dude

If you think that YOU could come up with refreshing ideas, after these thousands of different netmaps and campaigns... You know just as well what he meant.
Last edited by Tybo on Aug 6th '07, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Aug 11th '07, 20:16

Well, the project may end up being slowed down, and I may not be able to give any updates for a while. Just recently moved to a new place where I couldn't drag along my old Mac, and where I do not yet have internet (using a school computer now to post this).

I have the first four levels done (barring some polishing the fourth still needs), and I feel like finding someone trustworthy to playtest and evaluate what I have so far real soon.

In the meantime, there are a few more problems that I have to deal with:

- Forge in basalisk is prone to giving seemingly random numbers in all areas where numbers are to be had (checking line segment lengths, floor and ceiling elevations, platform speeds, etc). Say I enter a number for an elevation of a floor, like 4 or 5; when I hit enter, the number that shows in the 'edit floor height mode' is some bizarre number between 1 and 2. When I apply this elevation to the floor, it's what I wanted it to be in visual mode. Granted, the map still works properly, but this makes it very difficult to reference anything to figure out exactly where some things are in relation to each other, and so forth. Do I just have to live with this, or is there a way to fix it?

- Terminal Pics: I hear I need Resedit to add them to a map file, but even after that I don't know very well what I need to do. Are there any tutorials out there?

- LUA scripting: I'd like to apply this to one or more of the levels, particularly for the effect of dieing when falling into a very long drop (say, I check the player's elevation, and kill him when it gets so low). How would I implement such a script? I've seen the different lines of programming you can use, but I don't know how I would get started in using them.

Once I get these things fixed up, I should be able send out a 'demo' or two for playtesting later on, once I get more regular access to the internet.
Axle_Gear

Post Aug 12th '07, 09:26

The basilisk thing is because Forge needs a PPC to run. They say so in the manual. basilisk emulates older archetecture, so you are stuck with the errors unless you switch to a "real" mac or sheepshaver. Sheep crashes incessantly for me and often takes the system folder and all of my files with it (one might call that "f'in annoying") so try what you might.
Volcanon

Post Aug 12th '07, 13:45

Some time ago Forge simply stopped working on my OSX macs, well more like slowed down extremely in visual mode for some reasons unknown to me. It got so "laggy" that it was simply unusable. What I did was to find an old Mac somebody was trying to get rid of and now I got an orange G3 iMac on my desk, with Forge running. This is probably the best approuch. Although sometimes it might cost some money but if you are lucky you'll get it for free (like me)

JohannesG

Post Aug 12th '07, 20:09

Johannes Gunnar wrote:Some time ago Forge simply stopped working on my OSX macs, well more like slowed down extremely in visual mode for some reasons unknown to me. It got so "laggy" that it was simply unusable.

that same thing happened to me, i think it had to do with some system update.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Connecticut

Post Aug 12th '07, 22:29

Sharkie Lino wrote:system update.

I have the forge that came with the Mac Action Sac, seems to be working fine, but so is the newest one (1.3b or somesuch)
I can upload it if u guys want.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Aug 14th '07, 04:10

Phortiphy wrote:Sac

Strategic Air Command?
San Antonio College?
Or hell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAC

kineticturtle

Post Aug 14th '07, 04:25

Johannes Gunnar wrote:Some time ago Forge simply stopped working on my OSX macs, well more like slowed down extremely in visual mode for some reasons unknown to me. It got so "laggy" that it was simply unusable. What I did was to find an old Mac somebody was trying to get rid of and now I got an orange G3 iMac on my desk, with Forge running. This is probably the best approuch. Although sometimes it might cost some money but if you are lucky you'll get it for free (like me)

I've found that all that lag goes away if you set the color mode to 256
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Aug 14th '07, 08:01

Johannes Gunnar wrote:Some time ago Forge simply stopped working on my OSX macs, well more like slowed down extremely in visual mode for some reasons unknown to me. It got so "laggy" that it was simply unusable. What I did was to find an old Mac somebody was trying to get rid of and now I got an orange G3 iMac on my desk, with Forge running. This is probably the best approuch. Although sometimes it might cost some money but if you are lucky you'll get it for free (like me)

This is what happened to me, so I stopped using it. Another anoying thing is that the 'monitors' settings in Mac OS 9 are stuffed up and can only use 1024x640 millions of colours. Which makes all OS 9 games unplayable as well as forge visual mode getting as it gets squashed. And the ironic thing is that this happens on my G3 iMac so I would not actually applaud the idea of getting one.

StoneClench

Post Aug 22nd '07, 00:38

A few more screens from the next level I'm working on. That puts me up to five levels so far of the 10-15 I intend to have.
Attachments
Preview_24.JPG
Preview_24.JPG (50.92 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Preview_22.JPG
Preview_22.JPG (58.7 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
Preview_21.JPG
Preview_21.JPG (53.86 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Aug 22nd '07, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Aug 22nd '07, 00:52

From your screenshots, it's looking good!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Next

Return to Projects