Codename: Marathon C

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 23rd '07, 13:59

Phortiphy wrote:I have the forge that came with the Mac Action Sac,

isn't it "Sack"?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Aug 23rd '07, 16:33

Yes.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Sep 2nd '07, 23:15

VERSION 7: putting it up for download!

The game is still vastly incomplete, but the maps themselves should work just fine.

Things that are missing:
-Logon/Logoff screens
-Terminal pictures
-A proper intro? (Considering making a neat little 'unplayable' level in the future to kick it off).
-The rest of the levels

Things it DOES have:
-5 playable maps, including the extra path for failing to be 'stealthy' in the first level.
-Physics and terminal text for every map
-Use of color tables left untouched in the orignal Marathon Infinity

With any luck, all you'll need to do to run the scenario is download the map, and use all the other standard shapes and images that come with MI, leaving the whole download at just a smidgen more than a megabyte.

If you download this, please try to break the levels in any way you can: grenade hop, launch yourself, take goofy paths, etc. And let me know if you find any bugs. I'm trying my best to make these very high-quality maps, since there are so few of them.

And another thing: I'm holding a little contest. Make a proper Marathon film, and try to beat 'Satellite of Love' as quickly as you can on Total Carnage (bonus points for playing through the first level to get there). I assure you, you'll be in for a challenge: I, the creator of the level, can barely beat it... sometimes. I hope some unfortunate players are prepared to bathe in grenades. :D

Enjoy!

EDIT: Oh yah, I needed to add an extension onto the map file to make it uploadable. To use it, delete the '.txt' at the end of the name. I'll try to upload the regular file to Simplici7y.
Attachments
Apoptosis___compiler_ghost.zip
(9.93 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Axle_Gear on Sep 2nd '07, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 3rd '07, 07:26

Axle_Gear wrote:Oh yah, I needed to add an extension onto the map file to make it uploadable. To use it, delete the '.txt' at the end of the name. I'll try to upload the regular file to Simplici7y.

I think the correct extension for an Aleph One map is .sceA. I also noticed the Simplici7y upload didn't take, aim or pm me or something if your having any problems.

Switch
NYC

Post Sep 5th '07, 05:00

Aha! Finally got it loaded on Simplici7y!
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 5th '07, 16:03

Yea, sorry about that [MSmile]

If anyone's wondering, I forgot Simplici7y only takes zip's. I can add more, but a zip of a map is 20x smaller, so It makes no sence to add .SceA

Switch
NYC

Post Sep 6th '07, 04:37

add sceA ot your merged file, THEN zip it.
Volcanon

Post Sep 6th '07, 06:14

Volcanon wrote:add sceA ot your merged file, THEN zip it.

That's what I did. ^^

Why? Is the download working right?
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 6th '07, 12:07

just tried it. its great! nice job!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 27th '07, 21:36

How's work progressing?
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Sep 29th '07, 23:13

Pfhortipfhy wrote:How's work progressing?

At a complete standstill. I don't even have enough free time to do my school work, let alone work on a Marathon scenario. As a matter of fact, I only have one free night a week (not counting nights I simply have to skip out on sleep in order to make time).

In other words, don't expect anything at least until the end of winter break, and even then, I'm gonna need a lot of help to get this done in a remotely timely fashion.
Axle_Gear

Post Oct 3rd '07, 08:13

whoah! looks really damn cool! looking forward to the final release [MTongue]

dschungltiga
Germany, Bavaria

Post Oct 8th '07, 05:11

You could always help me with my project if you dont have the time for your own [spnkr]
Volcanon

Post Nov 7th '07, 17:26

Hey man. I was doodling around in Nameless' recent topic and saw you mention your scenario. Now it's time for me to be a jerk and ruin your fun, too!
Axle_Gear wrote:- Forge in basalisk is prone to giving seemingly random numbers in all areas where numbers are to be had (checking line segment lengths, floor and ceiling elevations, platform speeds, etc). Say I enter a number for an elevation of a floor, like 4 or 5; when I hit enter, the number that shows in the 'edit floor height mode' is some bizarre number between 1 and 2. When I apply this elevation to the floor, it's what I wanted it to be in visual mode. Granted, the map still works properly, but this makes it very difficult to reference anything to figure out exactly where some things are in relation to each other, and so forth. Do I just have to live with this, or is there a way to fix it?

This seems to have something to do with the Motorola 68k processor emulation done by Basilisk. I found that an early version of Forge (v1.0.1) does not have this problem, so when I was mapping on Basilisk, I used the old version to do architecture and just about everything else, and then I would texture in Forge 1.0.3+. Here's a download link for v1.0.1 (via the Trilogy Release page). I've found two bugs in this version: the first, that a "new level" doesn't check any game types by default, so you have to check "Single Player" in order to create a map. It's easy to forget this when you're in a hurry. The other problem, which may not apply to you, is that it puts the wrong version of The Ball into KTMWTB netmaps. Even so, I (using Linux) made many of the better maps in Underworld without any access to a real Mac OS environment. Ryoko, for example, does the same for Paradise Lost. If you are careful (e.g. lots of backups in case something crashes and a file gets corrupted), you can do a lot.

- LUA scripting: I'd like to apply this to one or more of the levels, particularly for the effect of dieing when falling into a very long drop (say, I check the player's elevation, and kill him when it gets so low). How would I implement such a script? I've seen the different lines of programming you can use, but I don't know how I would get started in using them.
Lua can be a cool little toy and it also allows for some subtle effects that are otherwise unavailable. Your scenario already looks pretty nice, so I think you're aiming more for the subtle stuff (rather than an EMR-style overhaul of quite a few systems). I'd be glad to help you out with this kind of thing (I'm probably the best or second-best scripter who screws around on the Pfhorums; I've been doing it since 2005).

Once I get these things fixed up, I should be able send out a 'demo' or two for playtesting later on, once I get more regular access to the internet.

I'm about to go get your demo. I look forward to it!

In case you still have trouble with Forge on Basilisk and can't get your Mac, I suggest you work on things like the story, drawing maps out by hand ahead of time, and such, so that when you do get a fleeting weekend with the Mac, you can get a ton finished. Again, I'll use our hero Ryoko as an example: he was quite ready to map when he got his hands on his iMac back in summer '06, and in maybe one or two nights, he pumped out Red Spectrum 1.5, which ushered in the modern era of netmaps (in my opinion). If you want someone else to help with certain things like the story, I'm happy to give assistance. I've been editing the terminals of another mapper who's working on something behind the scenes, and I've enjoyed giving him a different perspective on how things might be written. I'm writing a really involved story of my own right now (not for Marathon), but I like having little challenges, like terminal texts, that give me a smaller scope to deal with. And, of course, I can do Lua, too. Mapping is probably out of the question, since I can't do crap anymore, but I can probably give you some good tips and bug-tests. PM me if you want anything.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 25th '08, 00:20

Your scenario just came up in the IRC channel. Namely, Ryoko and I want to see it completed! I hope you haven't given up. Keep us informed.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 27th '08, 16:48

*Bump*
I was fairly impressed with the 3 or so maps that came in that September pack you released...
Would like to see this go somewhere but its been sometime with no word at all >.>
hopefully, You havent given up, as Irons said
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 27th '08, 17:58

Axle_Gear has been around here recently. That's why I bumped this beast a few days ago.
Last edited by irons on Mar 27th '08, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 27th '08, 19:19

irons wrote:Axle_Gear has been around here recently. That's why I bumped this beast a few days ago.

Ah, thanks for that. ^^

I'll see if I can come up with another map or two as soon as I can remember where the heck I wanted the plot to go. Last I recall the player was stranded in space with a bunch of crazy P'fhor. I'll let you guys know when I get any more progress done. ^^

EDIT: In the meantime, you guys can entertain yourselves with my Simulacrum Seige project posted in the mapping section. I've been waiting for feedback on it.
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Mar 27th '08, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 28th '08, 00:22

Behold! The terror that is the free-standing portal!

Having a bit of a rocky start getting the show back on the road. Tried starting a new map at least three times before I got off to a start I liked. Expect more updates in the future.
Attachments
Preview_26.JPG
Preview_26.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
Preview_25.JPG
Preview_25.JPG (34.98 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 28th '08, 00:40

I kind of expected this 5D portal play from parts of your demo and thought "the mapping is good, but this gimmick has already been done." But you've executed some really slick portals. Good work! I can't wait to see some more stuff.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 29th '08, 15:10

True, the gimmick HAS been done.
however, that doesn't mean he can't integrate it in a way so that it ties to the story line.. And mostly, i've seen them very cleverly hidden (such as the m1 map, 5d space)
by throwing it straight out there, it makes for a very plausible idea.
Great to see you (back?) I'll be sure to try both out ASAP [MUp]
edit: i see, only 1 is up
Last edited by L'howon on Mar 29th '08, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 29th '08, 16:53

Very nice, very nice!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Mar 31st '08, 22:51

*free standing portal*

I've got an idea for that. Sides will make it look bad, yesno? So leave them untextured, but put a liquid over the sides. Always a cool effect, liquid over untexturedness.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Apr 1st '08, 05:20

While I'm here, I'd like to bump this topic mercilessly by asking Axle if he ever found a use for my little Lua script (falling death, right?)

irons
(.Y.)

PreviousNext

Return to Projects