Codename: Marathon C

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Apr 1st '08, 05:44

irons wrote:While I'm here, I'd like to bump this topic mercilessly by asking Axle if he ever found a use for my little Lua script (falling death, right?)

Why, yes actually! The next level is going to be pretty intense with that, and I may need to ask your help in implementing it again, never actually applied LUA myself.

I'm also trying to think of a good way to achieve an all-black texture without having to modify the shapes file, if at all possible. I don't want to make a whole shapes patch for a single black pixel, and setting everything I want to be black to a dark texture with light 20 only goes so far.
Axle_Gear

Post Apr 1st '08, 05:48

Axle_Gear wrote:I don't want to make a whole shapes patch for a single black pixel, and setting everything I want to be black to a dark texture with light 20 only goes so far.

I'm not sure if you realize this (you might, judging from your mention of a shapes patch) but Aleph One allows the mapper to embed a shape patch in his level(s), one per level. JUICE does the embedding. It's perfectly feasible for you to make a patch for a single wall and add it straight into the map. This is one of the situations I thought of when I worked with treellama on the patch functionality :)
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Apr 1st '08, 07:18

Ah, you're going to have to direct me to whereever that tutorial may be. Afraid I've never messed around with JUICE before.
Axle_Gear

Post Apr 1st '08, 07:28

I'll do it later. I need to sleep now.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Apr 1st '08, 10:39

Axle_Gear wrote:Why, yes actually! The next level is going to be pretty intense with that, and I may need to ask your help in implementing it again, never actually applied LUA myself.

You may want to look at Star Wars: Dark Forces for that. That game is pretty much marathon in the starwars universe, as far as capabilities go, but it had a decent idea of falling death usage.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Apr 1st '08, 13:56

I doubt he needs a tutorial on how falling death is used in a map, but he ought to play Dark Forces anyway.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Apr 1st '08, 16:56

Axle_Gear wrote:Ah, you're going to have to direct me to whereever that tutorial may be. Afraid I've never messed around with JUICE before.

OK. If you download JUICE 1.1.1 and unzip it, you'll see a docs directory in the main JUICE directory. Inside this is Manual.pdf (or, if you prefer, you can open the Manual directory and use your browser to view Manual.html). After you've familiarized yourself with JUICE's general functions, take a look at section 10 of the manual, "Shapes Patches."

Also note that you can use Treellama's All-Shapes kit in order to mix all five texture sets into a single level. This would allow for some extended portal effects, like going between a (Jjaro/Pfhor) ship and a lava/water/sewage planet. One thing your portals could use is greater distinction between the connected regions; you could even create portals to different times with a simple technique like applying the "night" and "day" landscapes in different places! You get the idea.

Right now, JUICE is kind of on a break. There's a semi-functional merge capability in development that makes a lot of things easier. Terminals are still broken in the merge, although HogePiyo's latest additions might have fixed that. I'll check. Anyway, keep working on this scenario!

irons
(.Y.)

Post Apr 1st '08, 18:00

Glad too see progress in any form.

I like whats being thrown around [MUp]
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post May 16th '08, 07:02

Got a little bump of an update:

The project has started up again for now, and I'm currently working on two new maps. An interlude that's about 99% done, and another level that still has a ways to go (60-80% done?). And I'm proud to announce that the next map goes well beyond the capabilities of Forge, and I'm still working on it! Can't remember where I saw it, but someone had the really bright ide of temporarily making lines opaque so you can still work in visual mode. Thanks whoeveryouare!

I'll get some screen shots up once I get the files off my old Mac. The next level is a real doozy, and it should help ramp up the difficulty and get the plot rolling towards the climax.
Axle_Gear

Post May 16th '08, 17:06

Is there anyway of making polygons not come up on the map? You could get a pretty cool teleporter effect that way by showing where you're going through the teleporter, if you get what I mean.

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post May 20th '08, 23:31

Axle_Gear wrote:Got a little bump of an update:

The project has started up again for now, and I'm currently working on two new maps. An interlude that's about 99% done, and another level that still has a ways to go (60-80% done?). And I'm proud to announce that the next map goes well beyond the capabilities of Forge, and I'm still working on it! Can't remember where I saw it, but someone had the really bright ide of temporarily making lines opaque so you can still work in visual mode. Thanks whoeveryouare!

I'll get some screen shots up once I get the files off my old Mac. The next level is a real doozy, and it should help ramp up the difficulty and get the plot rolling towards the climax.

Hey, somehow I missed this, but I'm glad you're back on target! Keep us updated.

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 22nd '08, 02:01

Ok, so I've got the two new maps I'm working on done for the most part, save for some tweaking on the second to get the monsters to behave properly. As the plot stands now, I may only need 3-5 more maps to complete the scenario (not counting alternate incarnations of those maps and earlier ones). The only problem is that I may need to hold off on another release until those maps are done, since there are a lot of points where the plot of the game can get off at a later level, which could spell a cut-off at the second or third level without those maps in place.

If any mappers want to help lighten the workload, PM me with what you'd be willing to do and I'll see if I could use your help.

EDIT: Oh yah, and Irons, I think I could use some help getting JUICE to implement the textures and scripts. It doesn't seem to do anything for me.
Last edited by Axle_Gear on May 22nd '08, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Jun 13th '08, 07:03

Bumpety bump-bump

I apologize for not having another release by now. If it makes things any better, the next release is pretty much going to be the finished scenario (sans terminal pictures). I got around three and a half or four and a half maps left to build, then make sure there are no loose ends. The last two or three levels are going to be much more free-roaming with multiple mission objectives that can be completed in different orders, which means more time put into those maps.

I may shorten the gaps by borrowing from the Orphanage, at least for one level that I just don't feel much like making. I'll try to keep everyone posted!
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 5th '08, 23:16

Wow... It's been over a month since I even checked these forums.

Again, things are falling behind schedule, but work and college take precidence over making my own scenario.

I have some screens from three new maps, unfortunately, only one of them is anywhere near finished (the lava one). The other two are hovering somewhere around 30-40% done, and are already becoming pretty big undertakings. The whole scenario is still a ways from done, but again the next release will pretty much be the finished product. But enough of that, and on to the screenies!
Attachments
new_008.JPG
new_008.JPG (50.17 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_007.JPG
new_007.JPG (45.43 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
new_006.JPG
new_006.JPG (23.32 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_005.JPG
new_005.JPG (40.18 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_004.JPG
new_004.JPG (43.28 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_003.JPG
new_003.JPG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_002.JPG
new_002.JPG (40.98 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
new_001.JPG
new_001.JPG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 5th '08, 23:48

Hey, this is great news! Thanks for giving us an update.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 6th '08, 01:54

I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

If that helps any.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Oct 17th '08, 22:19

I regret to inform you that this may end up being yet another unfinished scenario.

Last week I lost my portable hard drive, which contained all the up-to-date maps and terminals I had lined up for the next release, including three or four maps that were massive undertakings that never got quite finished (two of them had at least 600-700+ polygons and many hours of work put in that I don't feel like putting up again. All the maps I had in those most recent screencaps are missing). I'll keep looking for it, but my hopes are pretty dim right now of ever seeing it again, or ever being able to finish anything.

If my hard drive doesn't turn up after I post up a monetary reward for its return, I'll donate the unfinished scenario to the Orphanage. I'll keep everyone posted on any updates on my search.
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Oct 17th '08, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Oct 18th '08, 00:58

Axle_Gear wrote:Last week I lost my portable hard drive, which contained all the up-to-date maps and terminals I had lined up for the next release, including three or four maps that were massive undertakings that never got quite finished (two of them had at least 600-700+ polygons and many hours of work put in that I don't feel like putting up again. All the maps I had in those most recent screencaps are missing). I'll keep looking for it, but my hopes are pretty dim right now of ever seeing it again, or ever being able to finish anything.

If my hard drive doesn't turn up after I post up a monetary reward for its return, I'll donate the unfinished scenario to the Orphanage. I'll keep everyone posted on any updates on my search.

[MAngry]

Good luck in your search!
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Post Oct 22nd '08, 19:35

Axle_Gear wrote:I regret to inform you that this may end up being yet another unfinished scenario.

Last week I lost my portable hard drive, which contained all the up-to-date maps and terminals I had lined up for the next release...

Why does this shit always happen to *us*? [MFrown]
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Oct 30th '08, 16:05

Well, no sign of it so far.

I'll slap on a quick level and a half to wrap up what I still have and toss it into the Orphanage when I get the chance.

If by some miracle the hard drive turns up again, I'll finish the project more properly.
Axle_Gear

Post Oct 30th '08, 17:20

How much did you lose, exactly?

If it was just levels and terminals -- yes, that is a substantial time investment, but it's not a permanent loss, and you can retread the ground perhaps more easily the second time now that you know what to do. It gives you an opportunity as well to make various design changes or even improve on the original ideas that you wouldn't have done otherwise.

Levels can be remade. I wouldn't give up just because of an inconvenience like this.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 17th '08, 01:02

I've decided not to put what's left of Marathon C on the orphanage just yet. Consider it on extended hiatus until I can give another update.
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 5th '09, 20:55

I shouldn't speak too loudly, but the project is slowly trundling back into motion. I recovered the lava map from the previous screenshots from an old merge, and am currently working on remaking one of the jjaro levels that was lost. The time spent trying to remake maps will be interspersed with creating terminal pictures, now that I know atque can do that in a relatively simple fashion.

Before the next release, I will need figure out how I was supposed to add map-specific textures (JUICE didn't seem to cooperate last time), and maybe send the pack to irons to get some quick LUA implemented (I'm not even gonna pretend I know how to get it working. Even before the update it looked complicated).
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 5th '09, 21:13

Awesome, man. I was playing the C demo a week or two ago and I still thought it was very fun. I also still couldn't make it through Satellite of Love :C I'll help wherever I can.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 5th '09, 21:46

This is indeed, good news. I can't wait for the next demo release. :D
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

PreviousNext

Return to Projects