Xmas 3

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
goran
Vidmaster

Hello guys, it's been a while. Ryoko revived me from the dead so I can do the yearly xmas scenario together with you. [MGrin]
This year I'll co-lead together with Ryoko, which actually is not something new. Ryoko has always assisted me at the end
to put it all together. Last year he made the last maps, betatested, wrote terminals, and merged the whole thing.

Now, I've not forgotten anyone on last years team. Shadowbreaker and Drictelt made a couple of large levels, which
belonged to the main meal. Shadowbreaker suprised me positively when he submitted a second large level. Both mappers'
levels were in short great additions to the scenario. If you're around this year, you know I want you on the team.

There was also a less experienced mapper on the team, Sinjid, who created two smaller levels. He did good job, and I appreciated
his somewhat smaller and different levels. We got Sinjids approval to polish the looks so they got up to par with the other maps.
His maps turned out very well at the end in my opinion. This is another mapper I'd be glad to have around. He had the right spirit.

Phobus Rombolus created the chapter screens. New for Xmas2. You're welcome back to create
chapter screens. I still remember you were more happy than me that you did the chapter screens. When someone thanks
you for joining your project you know you have a dedicated team member.

Simon Dupius helped out with editing the shapes. One has only to look at sigma to see he's a good man for the job.

Dcbob helped out a little with the betatesting, and was supposed to make a map, but he didn't quite make it in time. He was still
included in the credits because he's a good friend of mine. [MSmile] I know, but it's ok [MSmile]

For those who are new to the xmas scenarios, here's the deal. If you want to join the team, we'll pick you up. Everyone is welcome.
Mapping is the most valuable skill you can contribute with, and if this is the only thing you can do, we're more than happy.

There's a deadline to this project, and it's christmas eve, 24th december. We're roughly talking about 3-4 weeks to create
content.

Let me know if you're interrested to be on this year's team and if you're planning to map. I'll decide in the comings days if Ryoko and
I can create xmas3 together with you (alone the two of us can't do it). One mapper is usually equal to one map. Therefore I'm looking
to have atleast 3-4 more mappers on the team.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

nice to see this tradition being carried on this year :)
Are you planning to make use of the new embedded shapes feature? As far as I understand it when there is no size limit to them when it comes to solo play and it might maximize the possible audience for no one has to load extra shapes.

Anyway, welcome back and wicked avatar you got there.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
irons
Vidmaster

The patch limit is still 256 KB, regardless of the map's mission type. That's a lot of stuff if you're careful.

EDIT: Walls are not compressed in any way, but things like monster, item, and player sprites have run-length compression, so you can fit quite a few new ones into the 256 KB limit.
Last edited by irons on Nov 28th '07, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

hmm, must have mixed something up then. Would be a nice feature, though.
$lave

I would like to try to contribute a map, although I haven't done much in terms of solo mapping, I will see what I can do. Is there anything I should know about these maps, like what they should look like, what textures to use, what the goal should be, etc. etc.? I'll understand though, if you don't feel I have adequate mapping "skil" to contribute to this.
goran
Vidmaster

$lave, for now it's enough that I know that you're interrested. Instructions will come later. We have had newbie mappers on the team before and it has worked out ok. I think you'll do just fine.
D-M.A.
Born on Board

goran wrote:$lave, for now it's enough that I know that you're interrested. Instructions will come later. We have had newbie mappers on the team before and it has worked out ok. I think you'll do just fine.
I've fallen into a naughty Unreal Tournament addiction (four years) - I want to make a map for this project, in hopes that it might break the spell. I haven't mapped any since the maps got done for Eternal X, so it would be fun to do something again!
Pfhorsome
Cyborg

I made a few maps last time, but they never turned out good enough, on my own jurisdiction, but I think ill try again. Count me in for some!!!
And also, when the time comes, info would be great.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I'll contribute a map or two.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Just for reference, my intended contribution for this year is at least equal to last year: full beta-testing and revision, physics model tweaking (including "new" monsters), as well as at least one map (probably equally stupidly simple, too) and terminal text.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Which order do the xmas's come in again? Sub then cave, or cave, then sub?
Can't speel for hist.
goran
Vidmaster

I apologize to you guys. I'm going to quit the xmas 3 already. There has arisen unexpected opportunities in my private life that I have to prioritize before marathon. My role in a business project looked to be over, but just this morning they contacted me and wanted me to work for them again. Recently I signed a new apartment contract and that extra money look very attractive (new furniture). To make you understand, I'm very busy, and between studying maths and physics, loving my girlfriend, designing a webpage, work, my friends and my occult studies, there's very little time left. I evaluated the situation and decided I could do Xmas3 with you. I still can, but that requires I say no to this opportunity to cash in $$$. I'm sorry. I want new furniture to my apartment.

Thanks for understanding.

The xmas3 don't have to die just because I leave. Someone can take my place. Being a leader on this project does not require much if you're familar with scenario basics. It's a very rewarding experience.
Last edited by goran on Nov 29th '07, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Santa hates me.
Can't speel for hist.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Well whats wrong with being busy? You and Ryoko should probably come up with the story, but last chirstmas Visciom taught me how to truly make good textures, so I could do them and maps if you like. I'm not sure where Simon has gone either... I recall you taylored together many of the textures last year.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure where Drictelt has gone aswell. The last I heard of him was over the summer, when I was grovelling to him to make me maps and textures.

And to say a bit about him, his architecture and design and stuff is much better than mine, but he tends to be a bit slower than me, and less big rooms and large spaces. He only made me about... 1/2 of a map for shadow, and I did the rest. The part he did me was just like his Crudalits Quaretni, and the part I did actually looked significantly different than his. I focused less on detail and a bit more on mobility and size.

EDIT EDIT: You can delete your posts now? Far out!
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 29th '07, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This project isn't dying; I'll take charge of it and see that it comes to fruition this year.

The only problem is that we need textures, and for anyone who knows me, they know that's not my forte. But that's the only hurdle so far...
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:This project isn't dying; I'll take charge of it and see that it comes to fruition this year.

The only problem is that we need textures, and for anyone who knows me, they know that's not my forte. But that's the only hurdle so far...
Well what kind of textures do we want? While I always do them in 512x512, I can zoom in and do us 128x128 'ns.

Heres how I think I can do:

Vents: Bad
Metally surfaces: Good
Doors: Beast
Alieny stuff: Bad
Switches: Good
Rechargers: Good
Terminals: Ok
Transparent Textures: Kinda bad
Lights: Good
Metally Tiles: Good
Rocks: Ok
Signifcant Scratches: Bad
Metal walls: Good
Rust: Ok
Caution Walls: Good
Liquids: Terrible
Fans: Ok
Stone Tiles: Good
Stone: Good
Fast food logos: Kinda simple but Ok
Wood: Bad
Broken stuff: Ok
Blood: Ok
Ornamental Textures: Good
Other stuff: Depends

So what kind of enviornment are we going for?

[attachment=1144:77.jpg]
[attachment=1145:30.jpg]
[attachment=1146:32.jpg]
[attachment=1147:36.jpg]
[attachment=1148:24a.jpg]
[attachment=1149:48a.jpg]
[attachment=1143:00.jpg]

EDIT: Those may look a tiny bit strange in thumbnail view because they have been resized that way. That size is how they would appear in anvil... textures for a non high res scenario done in 128x128 may look a bit more bold
Attachments
48a.jpg
48a.jpg (786.71 KiB) Viewed 15205 times
24a.jpg
24a.jpg (241.28 KiB) Viewed 15207 times
36.jpg
36.jpg (175.56 KiB) Viewed 15204 times
32.jpg
32.jpg (431.17 KiB) Viewed 15209 times
30.jpg
30.jpg (232.13 KiB) Viewed 15216 times
77.jpg
77.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 15211 times
00.jpg
00.jpg (141.07 KiB) Viewed 15215 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 29th '07, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Some of those textures are actually really good.

Well, considering where Xmas 2 left off, the environment would be primarily some sort of spacecraft. But I liked the snow elements a lot, too; it'd be nice to see that come into play again too.
CryoS
Vidmaster

personally i like to make outdoor maps with cliffs and using water texture set, but my specialty (if you can call it that) is spacecrafts.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Some of those textures are actually really good.

Well, considering where Xmas 2 left off, the environment would be primarily some sort of spacecraft. But I liked the snow elements a lot, too; it'd be nice to see that come into play again too.
Perhaps we could then have 2 tilesets? One with (as I pictured) hot coolant as a liquid, and the other with cold coolant (how is hot coolant going to cool anything?). Also, Drictelt can make textures just aswell as I can, if we could find him doing textures might take a little less time.
goran
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:This project isn't dying; I'll take charge of it and see that it comes to fruition this year.

Im glad you made this decision Ryoko.

Everybody, I enjoyed my short stay.

Good luck with everything.

-goran
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Perhaps we could then have 2 tilesets?
No. Part of the thing about the first two was that there was only one, and I'm sticking with that.

However, now that we have JUICE's abilities to add in shapes, that can be used to your advantage.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:No. Part of the thing about the first two was that there was only one, and I'm sticking with that.

However, now that we have JUICE's abilities to add in shapes, that can be used to your advantage.
I'll stick with anvil [MWuh] . But you still haven't told me exactly what to make. A spaceship - whoopie, but according to previous posts of yours you despise a tileset that is entirely 1 color, which for a spaceship is typically gray. The liquid is a good way to color it in.

Of course I could just color everything like the xmas 06 was, but we're going for something new aren't we? And if we use more than 1 liquid I could just make a giant tileset that is adaptable to either of them.

EDIT: Coming up with absoutely every texture by myself will take too long. So I'm gonna base them off of the Jjaro set and the previous two (like the recharges/switches/ornaments/and stuff). I guess I'll have to surprise you, Captain Ryoko.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 29th '07, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Man, forgive me for trying to give you creative license.

I absolutely don't mind thematic tilesets -- remember that Xmas 05 was white, blue, and yellow, and I rather liked how it turned out. I also like how Xmas 06 turned out. It's just that I don't like things that are really dull. Colorful is good, and having a few colors to choose from is also good.
So I'm gonna base them off of the Jjaro set and the previous two (like the recharges/switches/ornaments/and stuff). I guess I'll have to surprise you, Captain Ryoko.
I don't detect bitterness, do I?

Xmas 05 was based off of Jjaro and that was fine.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 29th '07, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Man, forgive me for trying to give you creative license.

I absolutely don't mind thematic tilesets -- remember that Xmas 05 was white, blue, and yellow, and I rather liked how it turned out. I also like how Xmas 06 turned out. It's just that I don't like things that are really dull. Colorful is good, and having a few colors to choose from is also good.
I don't detect bitterness, do I?

Xmas 05 was based off of Jjaro and that was fine.
Please do not give me any lip. It makes me work slower.

Anyway, I decided to do the switches/terms first. Simon made the xmas 06 terminals and stuff different from infinity by adding a flat blue overlay to it and putting the lights ontop of it, giving it that spiffy dark blue look. Instead of turning it a different color I decided to add a little rust rust rust:

[attachment=1153:00.jpg] [attachment=1154:01.jpg] [attachment=1155:02.jpg]
[attachment=1156:03.jpg] [attachment=1157:04.jpg]

The switches are normally the things that take longest... but I guess they didn't take so long after all. Since I've already made the switches all rustylike, I guess this ship is gonna look like a rusty old dumpster. Ill probably to about 35-50 textures for this.

EDIT: Scrumie wants to map.
Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 15204 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 15195 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 15197 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 15198 times
00.jpg
00.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 15202 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 29th '07, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

cool textures, shadow :)

EDIT: Hey shadow, since you're so experienced with the textures now: have you thought about animating 'em as well..similar to how it went down in M1A1?
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Nov 29th '07, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.