Xmas 3

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Axle_Gear
Cyborg

Awwr... Mine didn't make it in?
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Jan 10th '08, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I haven't even looked at yours.

Actually I haven't looked at any in the last couple weeks; I've been up to my eyebrows in Real Life Issues, so I'm kind of backed up. So anyone who's submitted a map recently, I'll have a look before too long.

Goran's last name is spelled Svensson.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Axle_Gear wrote:Awwr... Mine didn't make it in?
Oh yea fergawt, tell me your real name and I'll stick you in.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:What the heck? 120 MB is enough for two or three hundred 512x512 textures. Do you really have that many textures? Or are you not using DXTC :-p
I'm probably not using DXTC... all of the textures were in .png, but ddsafied in Aorta 1.2a... It is the latest version of Aorta my computer can run, and I dont really want to upgrade my computer again. My texture folder is... 59 megabytes though.
treellama
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'm probably not using DXTC... all of the textures were in .png, but ddsafied in Aorta 1.2a... It is the latest version of Aorta my computer can run, and I dont really want to upgrade my computer again.
Aorta 1.5 works with Mac OS X 10.3.9--are you really running something older than that? Well, no, you can't be, since no version of Aorta ran on anything less than 10.3.9.

Enabling DXTC (you should really use 1.5, the image quality is better) will reduce the size of your textures by 75%--each should be around 700K, and once zipped will be even smaller.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I haven't even looked at yours.

Actually I haven't looked at any in the last couple weeks; I've been up to my eyebrows in Real Life Issues, so I'm kind of backed up. So anyone who's submitted a map recently, I'll have a look before too long.

Goran's last name is spelled Svensson.
I can do some of the betatesting aswell if you want, you did say last year that two minds were needed for testing... or something like that. I already have seen Axle_Gear's map, aswell as Tbone's, and have a few things to say about them.

Plumbers

This map is pretty neat, with the diagonal walls and platforms, etc. But, the texturing and lighting were impassibly bad, there were floor textures on the walls and many of the walls had seams. The lighting was good and dark, but the the level randomly showed off 0 lighting on random surfaces that weren't lights at all. The level was also kind of cheap, the epic hordes of aliens at the beginning were unbeatable with the small amount of ammo you are given at the start. They just boxed me in and roasted me :(. Also, after coming down from the shaft up above, a major juggernaut comes out and screws you over, and for some reason I kept seeing a green eyed drone, even after I thought I had killed it.

The lava pit at the start is impossible to get out of too, you can't swim up to the stairs. And should you get up on the stairs, the enforcer isn't alert, and is easily taken out with a shotgun.

The monsters down below in that big empty room opposite the lava bit weren't alert either.

Tbone's unnamed map

Tommy Tbone wasnt proud of this map at all, and I am not crazy about it either. While I tend to be able to see the potential in most things, I dont like this map at all, and regretfully dont think it would do the project much good to have it. Goran has a thing about rejecting maps though.

As far as my mapping goes, I have 2 unfinished maps with me, Scrumie's and another of my own, both at about 500 polygons. I intend to finish them both, even if they end up being bit more novelty than normal. I will send you a fixed version of Cops and Robbers when I am done with them. I had hoped to fuse them together originally, which to forge's contempt might have made the world's first 1025+ polygon map actually, but... nah. I bet it wouldnt even work [MOh] .

And for the Aorta business, I havent gotten round to it yet, but I'll see how it works sooner or later.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 11th '08, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
CryoS
Vidmaster

can you change my maps name to Toxicity? (or change the S in the beginning of the name to a P ^^)
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

CryoS wrote:(or change the S in the beginning of the name to a P ^^)
:D
Can't speel for hist.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I have sent off my second map, the Flat Earth Society, and am creating another, Silver Blaze.

EDIT:

[attachment=1354:sexyer.jpg]
[attachment=1355:sexyer2.jpg]
[attachment=1356:sexyer3.jpg]

Theres an invisible compiler infront of me in the 2nd picture, if you are wondering why it looks a little bit darker in some places.
Attachments
sexyer3.jpg
sexyer3.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 10883 times
sexyer2.jpg
sexyer2.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 10899 times
sexyer.jpg
sexyer.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 10894 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 13th '08, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Looks great, Shadow. I just started on a second map, it should be considerably better than my previous, can't say for sure though.
CryoS
Vidmaster

nice map shadow :D
me also hav started new map make!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The following images are for the first half of the last battle; this map is called Panic Attack. It will continue directly into another level, but only out of necessity, as I ran out of polygons. This level is nastily difficult, but it had better be; it's the last level.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Also, of major note: there are to be no more new maps or anything begun after today. If you've already started something, finish it, but if you haven't started anything, don't. This is Xmas 3, not Valentine's Day 1.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Lookin' good there, Ryoko. I just downloaded Aorta 1.5 and the squish framework, so I'll probably send you the textures tonight (they've been finished for a while actually, I just havent gotten round to fixing them up and sending them :P).

Also, earlier in the thread I said something about a loading screen. Since this will take a little while to load I think it is fitting that we give it a loading screen... that is, if you want one. The loading screen is slightly out of the general color scheme, but I think it looks nice anyway.

Third map is at 400 polygons... its not going quite as fast as the first two [MErr] . It'll be extermination though, and probably wont be very long. And I'm also developing a little thing with using netmap geometry in single player maps more often.

And finally for terminal pictures, a few weeks ago I composed about 20 terminal pictures, some of which are just static, some pictures of odds and ends, and some are pictures of 'last year' and stuff. But I have no specific map pictures, i.e. displays of the map telling where to go... and I think we can do better than the built in checkpoint feature. You could probably do the pictures in MS Paint, but I was thinking of adding a few subtle effects to enhance the pictures a bit.

I've also seen $lave's map and told him what to fix (stuff like bad texturing and cheapness with elite monsters).
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 21st '08, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:This is Xmas 3, not Valentine's Day 1.
Now there is an idea! [MSmile]
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Sorry, I've never tried to make pink textures before... and next year I hope to be green [MUp]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Re loading screen: come up with one by the time we're all finished and it will be fine -- otherwise, not. I'm not going to wait for one.

Re terminal images: the previous two chapters all had the text in "Information" format, because Goran and I felt that one of the key points of the game was the chatter between the two AIs. I still feel that way, to the point that "Picture" formats might diminish that conversation. Thus, I'd prefer to keep pictures out of the... picture... as much as possible.

I had no express difficulty completing the levels I've played so far (which is most of them); the levels aren't that complex, and most of them are remarkably linear. A good description of the goal would make the levels fairly easy to complete.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Just got the hi-res textures from Shadowbreaker... and they look good. They do their job well. Here's some screenshots of them in action.

treellama
Vidmaster

Hmm I might actually have to play this one. Looks good, although the lava is a bit...funky. And what's with the low-res weapons!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I forgot to copy over the WEP files to the Xmas3 folder. =[
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Ick, I knew something was wrong with the lava! For some reason it wouldnt load without a mask, so I put on "opac = 2" in Aorta. I mustve been in such a hurry to send the textures off that I didnt test to see how it would look with the mask. >goes back and looks<

And if the lava still looks funky, it wasnt done with my regular style, but with Forrest's (except ocean rippling the cloud filter).

So other than finish my third map, fix up my first two, and fix this lava business, what else do you need me to do?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

That should be it on your end, I believe.

I've finished testing the other maps; if we assume that both of our pending maps come to full fruition, and the other maps have been touched up appropriately, that means Xmas 3 will contain 10 maps: three each from you and I, and one each from Drictelt, $lave, Axle_Gear, and CryoS. What I have yet to do is:

- Finish my map
- Write all of the terminals
- Bundle in the loading screen and chapter screens
- Beta-test the wreck and make any necessary changes

Valentine's Day 1, here we come. :/
goran
Vidmaster

Hey guys this looks very interresting. I'll be back on valentines day to play this [MSmile]

PS. Svensson is correct and there's no need to put dots over the "o" in goran DS.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Well I dont mind the fact that we took more than a month longer to complete this than we had originally hoped, we've certainly raised the bar the last two seasons set by quite a bit.

[attachment=1373:christmaspage.png]

Too bad about Scrumie's unused map though... maybe I'll find some other use for it.
Attachments
christmaspage.png
christmaspage.png (358.31 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
CryoS
Vidmaster

its "Ganeteg" not "Ganetag"
no worries, every1 AND I MEAN EVERY1 gets my last name wrong...