Marathon Multiplayer Enhancement Pack

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Marathon Multiplayer Enhancement Pack

Post Feb 1st '13, 22:00

Marathon Multiplayer Enhancement Pack v1.5 is now out as of 16th of February 2013.
http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-infinity-multiplayer-enhancement-pack-3

Here I bring you, the latest project between me and Göran Svensson. A physics model with multiplayer balance in mind. This has gone through extensive testing during development and we hope that it should make multiplayer a lot more enjoyable for you guys.

note: This physics model was not designed with monsters in mind.

The original Marathon weapons were not really designed with people in mind. They were designed to be effective against slow and stupid aliens that could not dodge shots and could not operate their weaponry while they were being blasted by the player. Human players are a bit more intelligent, and faster than that.

This physics model addresses those problems and has undergone thorough balance testing during its development. Weapon switching delay is now nearly non-existant and random damage has been taken out of the game. Weapons that would normally never see action in an otherwise SPNKR filled multiplayer match can now go up against a SPNKR armed player under the right conditions.

Enjoy MIMEP.

Goals
- Strategic application of weapons. No dead guns. Every gun should serve a purpose.
- Eliminate randomness. It should be possible to estimate your opponents remaining health.
- Combine weapons to kill more effectively. Quick weapon switching.
- Balance. There should be no gun to rule them all.

The Weapons

Fists
Fists are the same as before excluding Damage Random/Base change. Use them for the perfect humiliation effect at extreme close range.

.44 Magnum Pistols
Pistols are now extremely easy to hit with. Use them to easily finish off a wounded opponent from mid to long range.

MA-75B Assault Rifle
The assault rifle is now a lot more accurate than we have (grudgingly) grown accustomed to. The grenades are now nearly two times faster than previously which along with its accuracy makes it a lot more usable at short to mid range.

SPNKR Rocket Launcher
No changes apart from Damage Base/Random changes. All around killer weapon for any situation although best at mid-range. Remember, Don't go running blindly into a battle with the SPNKR against other weapons as they are not the harmless pea shooters anymore you had grown accustomed to.

Zeus Class Fusion Pistol
The Fusion Pistol is back, but this time inspired by the plasma pistol from Halo. The Bolts are now fast enough to actually make a difference, and secondary trigger now drains 260 health from your opponent, acting as a great way to take out opponents shields. Works well at short and mid range, in relatively flat areas.

Note that the secondary trigger has quite a kick for the unlucky receiver. It can stun him for a second or two so be quick to switch to a more fitting weapon to finish him off.

TOZT-7 Flamethrower
No changes apart from Damage Base/Random adjustments. It is still a fearful weapon to be used at extreme close range.

Alien Weapon
The speed increase now makes the alien weapon actually usable at short and mid range. And also makes it a good way to clear an area.

Secondary trigger now allows you to charge it up for an extremely fast and accurate high damage yield shot. It will cost you 1/3 of your ammo clip though.

WSTM Shotguns
No changes apart from Damage Base/Random adjustments. The shotguns still work beautifully at close and mid range. Also fitting for long range if you are finishing off a wounded opponent.

KKV-7 SMG Flechette
Still the good old SMG we've grown accustomed to although with slight damage/accuracy/speed changes.

Credits
Jóhannes Gunnar Þorsteinsson - http://www.johannesg.com
Göran Svensson

1.5 Version Notes
(more thorough changelog in readme)
- Speed increase of all regular bullets up to 4096.
- Alien Weapon is now a dual function with a regular primary trigger but secondary trigger set as chargeable long - - range high damage weapon
- The good old automatic KKV-7 SMG is back.
- Bug fix: Enforcers now use "unused 1" shot slot instead of Alien Weapon Blast so not to make them overpowered
Last edited by JohannesG on Feb 16th '13, 13:43, edited 7 times in total.

JohannesG

Post Feb 1st '13, 23:14

Well was interesting playing this with you for a bit, though I think the changes are a little heavy handed. Granted being across the pond probably didn't help much with latency either. Another aspect of weapon balance to look at is map design philosophy. The Fusion and Assault rifle don't seem to get a chance to shine too often simply due to a lot of maps just being filled with Shotguns and Rockets.

Certain things I do agree with though. Namely Shot Velocity increases on the Fusion Primary and the Alien weapon. Not sure to the degree that you have, but those two shots certainly could be easier to hit with.
Dracheseele

Post Feb 1st '13, 23:42

When I get some free time, I'll check the physics model out.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Feb 2nd '13, 00:54

Hey! It's Feb 1 not April 1!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 2nd '13, 01:12

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 2nd '13, 10:40

Dracheseele wrote:Well was interesting playing this with you for a bit, though I think the changes are a little heavy handed. Granted being across the pond probably didn't help much with latency either. Another aspect of weapon balance to look at is map design philosophy. The Fusion and Assault rifle don't seem to get a chance to shine too often simply due to a lot of maps just being filled with Shotguns and Rockets.

Certain things I do agree with though. Namely Shot Velocity increases on the Fusion Primary and the Alien weapon. Not sure to the degree that you have, but those two shots certainly could be easier to hit with.

Thank you for the games and thoughts. They gave us quite a lot of insight into how the weapons work in 3 player games and what needs to be fixed. Concerning Map design philosophy, maps tend to be extremely diverse (even from the same mapper) when it comes to how each weapon plays out in it. But it is a very valid point and it needs to be looked into. One idea is concerning the SMG. First of all the SMG is very powerful now (and ammo is plentiful) and can be found all over the maps. Also, the old SMG was quite loved by people so we have been toying around with the idea of bringing the old SMG back, but adjust the Alien Weapon to fill the role of the extremely long range.

Concerning the degree of changes. We decided that it was best to go a bit "overboard" on the first try and see what happens, as we were doing this almost blindly. (not many people to test this with). Future versions should fix that.

Destiny wrote:When I get some free time, I'll check the physics model out.

Please do! looking forward to what you will think.

treellama wrote:Hey! It's Feb 1 not April 1!

Crap! my bad. False alarm everyone, nothing to see here!

Wrkncacnter wrote:Thanks, I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Lovely!

JohannesG

Post Feb 16th '13, 13:46

http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-infinity-multiplayer-enhancement-pack-3

version 1.5 has now been released on Simplicity addressing some of the things we've heard from you people. The OP has been updated with the information but to put it short. Main changes are that the old SMG is back, but the alien weapon now takes the role of a long range high damage weapon on its secondary trigger (charge). Primary trigger remains relatively close to vanilla settings.

Enjoy! and thank you so much who have played with us and given us experience and suggestions. It has been very helpful. Looking forward to seeing you on the metaserver.

JohannesG

Return to Projects