My first project - A tutorial

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: My first project - A tutorial

Post Aug 30th '15, 23:08

dustu wrote:If you have a chance, can you rate it on this site: http://simplici7y.com/items/fart-or-die ? My initial reviews (vers 1.0) were not so great so I seem stuck at 2 stars. :)

I don't think scores on Simplici7y really matter that much. I wouldn't worry about it.

dustu wrote:So I may remove some of the extra weapons on some levels. On Total Carnage, however, weapons do help. :) So I'll have to weigh carefully what makes sense from a total carnage point of view (if that makes sense :)

I guess you could remove weapons and ammo from some levels. As long as you remove some monsters to compensate.

And if you want levels where players use more "strategy" than "run and gun" then you need to change your level design: Big empty rooms and long straight hallways are not conducive for dynamic combat. You need more detailed rooms with various forms of cover. Narrow hallways with no room to manuever are almost always bad combat space design and you should avoid having the player fight monsters in them.

philtron

Post Sep 6th '15, 23:40

Hi!

I appreciate your feedback. I have indeed removed some weapons and extra goodies and also some monsters to compensate. I tweaked it several times after our initial discussion (the last time for a glitch) and now is in good shape. :)

Thanks again.

philtron wrote:
dustu wrote:If you have a chance, can you rate it on this site: http://simplici7y.com/items/fart-or-die ? My initial reviews (vers 1.0) were not so great so I seem stuck at 2 stars. :)

I don't think scores on Simplici7y really matter that much. I wouldn't worry about it.

dustu wrote:So I may remove some of the extra weapons on some levels. On Total Carnage, however, weapons do help. :) So I'll have to weigh carefully what makes sense from a total carnage point of view (if that makes sense :)

I guess you could remove weapons and ammo from some levels. As long as you remove some monsters to compensate.

And if you want levels where players use more "strategy" than "run and gun" then you need to change your level design: Big empty rooms and long straight hallways are not conducive for dynamic combat. You need more detailed rooms with various forms of cover. Narrow hallways with no room to manuever are almost always bad combat space design and you should avoid having the player fight monsters in them.

dustu

Previous

Return to Projects