frog blaster

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

frog blaster

Post Oct 10th '14, 13:34

Has anyone ever developed an amphibian-launcher weapon? If not, I'm surprised no one has taken "frog blast" to its logical conclusion⸮
ChristTrekker

Post Oct 10th '14, 23:03

ChristTrekker wrote:Has anyone ever developed an amphibian-launcher weapon? If not, I'm surprised no one has taken "frog blast" to its logical conclusion⸮

You mean in a Marathon mod? I don't know for sure, but maybe it exists somewhere....

And in real life, maybe someone got creative with a potato gun...

ukimalefu

Post Oct 11th '14, 10:30

Yes, yess, I can picture it now.

The weapon fires a frog, that uses the Cyborg's grenade physics, so when it hits the ground it rebounds with a "Ribbit!"

Of course it also explodes on impact.

Zott
Earth

Post Oct 11th '14, 13:05

Google "frog blaster", be amazed.

ukimalefu

Post Oct 12th '14, 09:50

The upcoming game Saints Row: Gat out of Hell will have a weapon that fires exploding frogs, although I haven't found a gameplay video that shows it yet.

Crater Creator

Post Oct 13th '14, 14:10

Yes, Zott! I think the frogs would "bounce" a couple times before exploding (a la grenades) but the "bounce" direction could deviate from initial firing direction. With a "ribbit ribbit" sound effect rather than "tink tink".

Maybe Hopper would have some insight on that for us. ;)
ChristTrekker

Post Oct 14th '14, 01:02

Everything is pretty easy except for making the frog sprites. I'll leave that up to you.

Considerations: If you make the frog sprites small enough , they can be embedded in a net map as a shapes patch. Then you can also embed the specific frog cyborg physics to go along with it.

Changing the directions would require Lua, but would just require checking the projectile height vs floor height and randomizing the facing direction accordingly. Since this would either need to be in a plugin or hosted separate from the map in multiplayer, I'd suggest going ALL OUT on a new multiplayer gametype.

Why not make the hill the "core", players have to shoot frogs onto the core, which gives points. However, players can intercept the frogs with their body. Thus players have to decide whether they want to shoot for score but be defenceless, or deny players and then use the downtime to score their own points. Maybe players have a weapon that shoots frogs or grenades. Is he going to shoot a harmless frog, or is he going to shoot a damaging grenade? Oooh, the excitement! Obviously projectiles will have to move slower to allow dodging.

Anyways goodluck. :P

Zott
Earth

Post Oct 14th '14, 21:06

Maybe the secondary trigger can fire lily pads that lure frogs away from the core, for another defensive strategy.

Perhaps frogs aren't totally harmless; if you're hit, you don't lose shields but your vision is obscured with frog slime (a fader with a really long timeout).

Hopper

Return to Projects