Ultimate Marathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Should I add new enemies into Ultimate Marathon?

Poll ended at Jul 11th '15, 19:42

Add new enemies
No votes
Keep old enemies
No votes

Total votes: 0
Bytube
Born on Board

Down below there is some info on Ultimate Marathon

July 23, 2015: Progress on Ultimate Marathon has been delayed due to me getting a new PC. The development will be continued soon.

July 6, 2015:
Spoiler:
To speed up the development process, I am asking the dev of Marathon:Infested if I could use some of the assets of the unfinished game. I would also like to ask the Pfhorum community to help by submitting thier own maps/assets for me to work on at my email: Bytubegames@gmail.com. I will also be taking a one week break form development, so don't expect any updates until July 13. Also, The Pfhorum page will have a new layout. The updates will now be in order from newest to oldest.
July 3, 2015:
Spoiler:
Quick community update: I will be taking suggestions from this forum page, and I will try to reply as soon as possible. I also want to mention that this project will not come out for a estimated 2-3 years.
July 2, 2015:
Spoiler:
Name change: Project Unity will now go by the name "Ultimate Marathon." I would also like to mention that I am taking suggestions on the game. If you want to see something changed from the original games, please leave a reply down below.
July 2, 2015:
Spoiler:
Marathon: Project Unity is a remake of the Marathon Trilogy on the Unity Engine. The game will have Hi-Res graphics and full 3D models. The game is very early in development and will most likely not be finished for a while. I will also upload news about the game's development here and on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/company/bytubest ... ject-unity.

I will be post images of the game soon.
Last edited by Bytube on Jul 24th '15, 02:04, edited 11 times in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Bytube wrote:Marathon: Project Unity is a remake of the Marathon Trilogy on the Unity Engine. The game will have Hi-Res graphics and full 3D models. The game is very early in development and will most likely not be finished for a while. I will also upload news about the game's development here and on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/company/bytubest ... ject-unity.

Good. Good stuff. Too bad it's all about Unreal Engine 4 now. And you have a long way to go to catch up to the Doom 2 remake.
Bytube
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:
Bytube wrote:Marathon: Project Unity is a remake of the Marathon Trilogy on the Unity Engine. The game will have Hi-Res graphics and full 3D models. The game is very early in development and will most likely not be finished for a while. I will also upload news about the game's development here and on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/company/bytubest ... ject-unity.

Good. Good stuff. Too bad it's all about Unreal Engine 4 now. And you have a long way to go to catch up to the Doom 2 remake.

I did say it was early in development. I should of put that the project might be moved to different engines (Source, Unreal 4, etc.) and might change the name. But for now, since I am more familiar with Unity, it will be developed on the engine. I will update this thread and the project's IndieDB page if I do change the engine and/or name.
Last edited by Bytube on Jul 6th '15, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

VikingBoyBilly wrote:http://sivers.org/zipit
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

You know, while that sounds like the kind of advice current-me would give to younger-me who was full of talk and little action, when I look back over the history of my life empirically, the times when I was talking about doing stuff were also the times that I was actually doing stuff.

The actual correlation appears to be that I'm usually talking about whatever I happen to be doing. So when I'm not doing much, I'm not talking much about much either. (Like these days, when all I do is work work work work at my tedious day job, and trying to fix everything else in my damn life, so the things I talk about are problems at work and impediments to achieving other life goals). But when I am doing interesting things, creative projects like Eternal, I'm also talking about them more.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah, and I've never talked about my 25,000 level total conversion before, and I haven't even gotten 1 map done yet.
Bytube
Born on Board

Wrkncacnter wrote:Yeah, and I've never talked about my 25,000 level total conversion before, and I haven't even gotten 1 map done yet.
I never said I would get it done in a few days. Hell, it would be a miracle if I could finish it in a couple of years.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

He wasn't talking about your project, more poking fun at the idea that things always happen when you don't talk about them. While I agree with Pfhorrest, I'm always talking about the thing I'm doing in the moment in the hope of some useful feedback or maybe a good 'ol pat on the back. But I think there is a difference between talking about something you are currently working on, and telling everyone about your great plan you hope to achieve in the FUTURE, which may be what that article is talking about. For instance, don't you know? Everyone is working on a Marathon scenario.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:Yeah, and I've never talked about my 25,000 level total conversion before, and I haven't even gotten 1 map done yet.
That's because you never had an idea for a 25,000 level total conversion before.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

philtron wrote:
That's because you never had an idea for a 25,000 level total conversion before.
If I donate a map, will it finally be 1/25,000th of the way completed?
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

VikingBoyBilly wrote: If I donate a map, will it finally be 1/25,000th of the way completed?
Mathematically, yes.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bytube wrote:
I never said I would get it done in a few days. Hell, it would be a miracle if I could finish it in a couple of years.
Maybe development could speed up siginificantly if you manage to salvage what is left of Marathon: Infested. http://www.indiedb.com/games/marathon-infested/news

As I understand it the Dim3 engine lacked proper AI support and that's why it was never released. The game is bacsically complete so all the 3D models/enemies/weapons/items/animations are there and I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to import them into Unity3D. All assuming you can get InfestedSmith to cooperate ofc.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

TThere was someone else working on a remake of Marathon recently, but for Unreal Engine 4: http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38161. Maybe development could speed up if the people that want to make Marathone remakes worked together?
Bytube
Born on Board

thedoctor45 wrote:
Bytube wrote:
Maybe development could speed up siginificantly if you manage to salvage what is left of Marathon: Infested. http://www.indiedb.com/games/marathon-infested/news

As I understand it the Dim3 engine lacked proper AI support and that's why it was never released. The game is bacsically complete so all the 3D models/enemies/weapons/items/animations are there and I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to import them into Unity3D. All assuming you can get InfestedSmith to cooperate ofc.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact the devs if I could use a few of the assets.
Bytube
Born on Board

philtron wrote:TThere was someone else working on a remake of Marathon recently, but for Unreal Engine 4: http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38161. Maybe development could speed up if the people that want to make Marathone remakes worked together?
I have contacted the dev. I have not received a response, but I might in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bytube wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact the devs if I could use a few of the assets.
You're welcome. Here's the original forum topic for Infested btw: http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4012
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:
You know, while that sounds like the kind of advice current-me would give to younger-me who was full of talk and little action, when I look back over the history of my life empirically, the times when I was talking about doing stuff were also the times that I was actually doing stuff.

The actual correlation appears to be that I'm usually talking about whatever I happen to be doing. So when I'm not doing much, I'm not talking much about much either. (Like these days, when all I do is work work work work at my tedious day job, and trying to fix everything else in my damn life, so the things I talk about are problems at work and impediments to achieving other life goals). But when I am doing interesting things, creative projects like Eternal, I'm also talking about them more.
I'm prone to procrastination, as I think most people are. So it makes sense to me that announcing your plans feels like you've done something; a way to stave off any people waiting for you, and create an excuse not to do more for now. Still, I found it glib for VikingBoyBilly to post just a link with no explanation. As I've said before, we should be a supportive community if we like new content. So good luck with your plans, Bytube, but be mindful of our preference for substance.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lol, I was just thinking of the Oath of the Scenario Developer when I saw this and I read that link recently so I thought it was relevant. I don't discourage it, but there's already a billion of these "remake of Marathon in Unity/Unreal Engine/Whatever" threads (okay, maybe more like two or three) and even a lot of cool unrelated 3D models floating around in the art board. It would be nice if these were all consolidated into one great Marathon HD remake.

Marathon: Resurrection exists and I've been playing that recently and, well... it hasn't aged well.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I don't mean to discourage, just my opinion. I'm sure you are very talented and dedicated. But to be frankly honest, I don't think the effort makes sense for you as a long term project. For starters, the community has already done a good job of "remaking" the trilogy. As is, the series is more playable now then it ever was. As with most remakes, it doesn't make sense. Why remake when the original is perfectly viable and accessible? The only reason to ever remake is when one of those is no longer true. It does you no favors to create something that, before it is launched, is directly competing against an existing product. That, in all honesty, is going to be better, because you have no team. There is only so much one man can do even in 5 years. And for all that work, time, and dedication, you're just not going to remake Alephone in Unity. Not to mention, but your target audience is pretty small.

Why not take your talent and create something entirely new? Not to say, don't create an FPS in the vein of Marathon. With your own art assets, maps, ip, at least you can get compensated for all your hard work. If someone then says, hey this reminds me of that old mac game I used to play, then great. It becomes a selling point.

(Also, I'm sorry, those Infestation assets don't even hold a candle to the freeverse 2D sprites, or even the original game art.)
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

herecomethej2000 wrote:I'm sorry, those Infestation assets don't even hold a candle to the freeverse 2D sprites, or even the original game art.
They are certainly not perfect, but it's a start and provides a basis from which things can be improved - especially when you have to start completely from scratch, anything can be of help.
Also I for one have not yet seen enough quality 3D remakes of Marathon.

Basically the only remake that featured a full singleplayer campaign was Marathon: Resurrection, which was OK, but the UT Engine was already hopelessly outdated when it was released in 2007.

Marathon: Freedom was a nice concept but too short to provide any siginificant gameplay value.

Other remakes like Rampancy and Marathon: Max were just focusing on Multiplayer carnage which was fun ofc but I'm looking for something that captures Marathon's atmosphere in a visually appealing contemporary art style and this project might deliver just that - so more power to ByTube.
Bytube
Born on Board

thedoctor45 wrote:
herecomethej2000 wrote:I'm sorry, those Infestation assets don't even hold a candle to the freeverse 2D sprites, or even the original game art.
They are certainly not perfect, but it's a start and provides a basis from which things can be improved - especially when you have to start completely from scratch, anything can be of help.
Also I for one have not yet seen enough quality 3D remakes of Marathon.

Basically the only remake that featured a full singleplayer campaign was Marathon: Resurrection, which was OK, but the UT Engine was already hopelessly outdated when it was released in 2007.

Marathon: Freedom was a nice concept but too short to provide any siginificant gameplay value.

Other remakes like Rampancy and Marathon: Max were just focusing on Multiplayer carnage which was fun ofc but I'm looking for something that captures Marathon's atmosphere in a visually appealing contemporary art style and this project might deliver just that - so more power to ByTube.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure the project will deliver what everyone wants in a Marathon Trilogy remake.
Bytube
Born on Board

Crater Creator wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

I'm prone to procrastination, as I think most people are. So it makes sense to me that announcing your plans feels like you've done something; a way to stave off any people waiting for you, and create an excuse not to do more for now. Still, I found it glib for VikingBoyBilly to post just a link with no explanation. As I've said before, we should be a supportive community if we like new content. So good luck with your plans, Bytube, but be mindful of our preference for substance.
Don't worry. I will be asking the community what they want in the remake. Because of this, the project will hopefully not be a disappointment.
treellama
Vidmaster

Bytube wrote:Don't worry. I will be asking the community what they want in the remake. Because of this, the project will hopefully not be a disappointment.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You might start by asking the community if they even want a remake.