Lhowon.org level maps, speed runs

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Lhowon.org level maps, speed runs

Post Jul 7th '15, 18:30

Happy Bungie Day!

To celebrate, there's a new Levels section on Lhowon.org, with level maps and other info for 7 scenarios and 7 net packs. Mapmakers may find the "Editor View" interesting, where you can see all the polygon boundaries without firing up Weland.

Also relatively new is the Speed Runs section of the Lhowon.org leaderboards. Many of us don't have much free time for Marathon any more, so skip the secrets and take the quick route instead. You'll need to use Aleph One 1.2, and follow the instructions in Preferences > Internet > Stats.

Hopper

Post Jul 7th '15, 18:38

Extremely cool, thanks Hopper!

Could the level maps have player spawns and powerups on them? I don't know if you made them yourself or if they're automatically generated, but that would be useful information for the multiplayer map pictures.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 7th '15, 19:05

This is cool, but I don't understand why you wouldn't include Suicide Run as one of the map packs in the Levels section.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 7th '15, 20:04

wetnoodles.png

Hopper

Post Jul 7th '15, 20:51

The maps are generated by scripts, but I went through the Marathon maps by hand to ignore unreachable polys in Guide View, and to transcribe the map writing. I haven't had time to do this for Phoenix or any non-Bungie maps; if you or anyone else want to help with those, let me know.

Player starts are next on my list. Powerups are a little trickier; how should I handle randomly spawning ones? I also don't want to clutter the maps with too much stuff, but I can always add different views with subsets of the data.

I'd also like to fill out more metadata, like author credits (added by hand) and the allowed game types for net maps (can be scripted). My favorite metadata so far is the author commentary. If you know of links to level-by-level comments, or you've written some, PM me.

Adding levels to the site still involves a number of manual steps, so this section will grow fairly slowly.

Hopper

Post Jul 7th '15, 21:34

If you search "Eternal X Commentary" on the MSF you will find a bunch of author's notes from me about the Eternal levels. They're usually much longer than the stuff you have here, so I don't know if you'd want to include them all verbatim, but there's useful information in them all like map author names that you might like to mine.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 8th '15, 02:00

Awesome! The Eternal commentaries are in place as links, to keep the page from getting too long, and the author credits have been filled out for all except Third Rock, which didn't exist back then.

Hopper

Post Jul 8th '15, 02:59

Awesome! Third Rock was made by Don-Martin Antell again.

Thank you for making this awesome project. :-)

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 8th '15, 03:33

I suppose if you're putting up author credits, this is the credits list for Second Quest http://pastebin.ca/3050600

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 10th '15, 01:39

Hopper wrote:The maps are generated by scripts, but I went through the Marathon maps by hand to ignore unreachable polys in Guide View, and to transcribe the map writing. I haven't had time to do this for Phoenix or any non-Bungie maps; if you or anyone else want to help with those, let me know.

How hard would it be to add an option to only include polygons with floor/ceiling heights that fall within a certain range? Such a feature would be useful for maps with lots of overlap like The Hard Stuff Rules from M2, making it easy to separate out cross-sections at various heights.

Chocolateer

Post Jul 14th '15, 01:34

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. Sparklo and I are thrilled you like it.

Chocolateer wrote:How hard would it be to add an option to only include polygons with floor/ceiling heights that fall within a certain range? Such a feature would be useful for maps with lots of overlap like The Hard Stuff Rules from M2, making it easy to separate out cross-sections at various heights.

As an interactive tool, I think anyone sophisticated enough to choose appropriate heights is sophisticated enough to use Weland's sliders for the same purpose.

"Floor-by-floor" maps would be great to see, with height ranges pre-chosen to create a good set of images. That's too labor-intensive and subjective to make it into my project, but I'd love to see somebody use these scripts as part of a new Spoiler Guide-style site. I'll add features to the GitHub code if someone is running it and needs more functionality.

Hopper

Post Jul 16th '15, 01:41

Chocolateer wrote:How hard would it be to add an option to only include polygons with floor/ceiling heights that fall within a certain range? Such a feature would be useful for maps with lots of overlap like The Hard Stuff Rules from M2, making it easy to separate out cross-sections at various heights.

For fun, I thought about designing an algorithm to split maps into floors in a way that was objective.

Load in all the polygons.
Find the polygon with the lowest floor height.
Mark this polygon as being on Floor 1.
Mark all polygons adjacent to this one as being on Floor 1. Spread out recursively from adjacent polygon to adjacent polygon.
At each step, check if the polygon being considered has a point that is within the x-y coordinates of any previously marked polygons. (Yes, this is O(n^2) slow and could likely be improved.)
If it does, mark the polygon as being on Floor 2. Resume spreading to adjacent polygons, now marking them as Floor 2.
Continue until all polygons are marked, using as many floors as necessary.

Mind you, I'm not planning to actually implement this. [MTongue]

Crater Creator

Post Jul 20th '15, 17:57

Thank you Hopper. Finally I'm famous. *pours champagne*
D-M.A.

Post Sep 15th '15, 08:47

I think I may have misremembered -- Don, correct me if I'm misremembering now instead -- but I think $lave (Steve Timmerman) made Third Rock from Lh'owon, not Don. Noticed that when updating the credits and wondering why Steve's name was in there.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 15th '15, 13:49

Oh, yeah, I definitely did make that map!

$lave

Post Sep 16th '15, 17:57

Pfhorrest wrote:I think I may have misremembered -- Don, correct me if I'm misremembering now instead -- but I think $lave (Steve Timmerman) made Third Rock from Lh'owon, not Don. Noticed that when updating the credits and wondering why Steve's name was in there.

How dare you take away from my fame Fobo, shame on you! I'd wish I could take credit, but alas, it is false. I did not make that level. <_<
D-M.A.

Return to Projects