Marathon Shadow

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 5th '08, 19:07

the gun itself looks very nice and if you gonna use HIres versions of them, i think it will be awesome.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 5th '08, 19:38

$lave wrote:Did you make sure that the X/Y origins, scale factor etc. are the same in the "normal" and "custom" colours section in anvil?

Yes, I did. As I said though, it is an inexplicable error, and I'll probably just end up fiddling with the bitmap to suffice. But this still doesn't explain why the high res sprite doesnt load. The file path is definately right, but something is obviously wrong with the script that Alephone isn't telling me.

Keep in mind that usually I dont spend much time fixing these problems - I spend it mostly just making textures and maps -

I expect to have about... 400 textures. I had to go back and redo several of them, so its hard to tell really how many I have finished. I haven't really finished all that many maps yet either. I've only done about 13 of them, primarily because I work on textures and maps simultanuesly(sp). But, what I desperately need is a 3d modeller, even just for 1 monster (not that thing with the cape hanging on the rock), Im getting tired of fighting funny colored troopers in its place. Monsters are extremely difficult to make in photoshop.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on May 5th '08, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 5th '08, 20:08

Shadowbreaker wrote:Yes, I did. As I said though, it is an inexplicable error, and I'll probably just end up fiddling with the bitmap to suffice. But this still doesn't explain why the high res sprite doesnt load. The file path is definately right, but something is obviously wrong with the script that Alephone isn't telling me.

If there are errors, they will be printed to the Console, or to Aleph One Log.txt. I suggest putting MML for the problematic sprite in a file by itself, removing all other MML, and seeing if it loads. If it doesn't, post that small file so we can see what the problem is. If it does, you screwed something up somewhere else.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 5th '08, 22:09

Shadowbreaker ur game looks cool is it meant to be a scary type of game?

Andrew

Post May 5th '08, 22:56

Andrew wrote:Shadowbreaker ur game looks cool is it meant to be a scary type of game?

Actually, it isnt. And most levels are fairly bright. The name wasnt meant to suggest scaryness or anything.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 5th '08, 23:00

cool, will u be finished anytime soon? im dying 2 play it

Andrew

Post May 5th '08, 23:30

Andrew wrote:cool, will u be finished anytime soon? im dying 2 play it

Well, it says quite clearly on my site "Not coming soon!" :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 5th '08, 23:36

Andrew wrote:im dying 2 play it

im dying 4 grammer
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post May 5th '08, 23:45

Pfhortipfhy wrote:im dying 4 grammer

me fucked grammaring

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 6th '08, 01:02

me falling engish that umpossible [MGrin]

Andrew

Post May 6th '08, 14:14

me happy :P
on another hand. because im lazy and such, does the shadow page have any information about the game, amount of new weapons, how you came up with it etc. i think that would be fun to read.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 7th '08, 00:38

Now we're talkin!

[attachment=1563:scope.jpg]

(badass glowing green scope)

It was both the shapes' and the physics' problems... though I'm not quite sure about the script... it suddenly decided to work. Sorry about the walls though, I didn't have time to wire up the high res.
Attachments
scope.jpg
scope.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 6059 times

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 10th '08, 21:31

I thought the res was pretty decent actually >.>
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post May 10th '08, 23:07

Well, from a distance it is harder to tell. But now, the graphics are better than ever :P But I'll release some more screenies once entire sets are finished and ddsed, and when I can put some fog in there too :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 26th '08, 21:33

Boy, does this project look cool.

Odie

Post Aug 6th '08, 12:15

I've been extremely busy doing nothing and not being able to map for more than two months, so during this time I've made a few terminal scripts and textures. I don't think I can post up anything new in screenshots because of a lack of completed monster sprites, so here are some textures I've been making instead :P

[attachment=1861:meh.jpg]

[attachment=1862:window.jpg]

[attachment=1863:woodydirt.jpg]

[attachment=1864:tiley.jpg]

[attachment=1865:rusty_copy.jpg]

[attachment=1866:woodly_copy.jpg]

Sorry they're in jpg, I had to export them because the .pngs were far too big (no idea why).

Also, for those curious as to how I made these, I will explain very concisely how I made them:

1. Get a photo
2. Make the photo texture
3. Add detail
4. Increase contrast
Attachments
woodly_copy.jpg
woodly_copy.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
rusty_copy.jpg
rusty_copy.jpg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
tiley.jpg
tiley.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
woodydirt.jpg
woodydirt.jpg (87.39 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
window.jpg
window.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
meh.jpg
meh.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 6th '08, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 6th '08, 12:28

Wow, nice textures Shadowbreaker!

I'm really curious now, what did you get a photo of to get some of those textures?
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip

Winter_Wolf
The inner catacombs of a dark pyramid.

Post Aug 6th '08, 12:32

www.cgtextures.com is where its at! It's one of the sites visciom recommends, and unlike Mayang the photos arent 80000000000x60000000000 :P.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 6th '08, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 6th '08, 16:30

looking good, although the black circles on top of the gun seem a bit... flat and off... you should try something else than black circles, or try to make them more detailed or add something to them.

Shadowbreaker wrote:Now we're talkin!

[attachment=1563:scope.jpg]

(badass glowing green scope)

It was both the shapes' and the physics' problems... though I'm not quite sure about the script... it suddenly decided to work. Sorry about the walls though, I didn't have time to wire up the high res.

JohannesG

Post Aug 7th '08, 01:25

looking good, although the black circles on top of the gun seem a bit... flat and off... you should try something else than black circles, or try to make them more detailed or add something to them.

qft
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -

Longinus
Ellicott City, MD

Post Aug 7th '08, 06:13

Shadowbreaker wrote:www.cgtextures.com is where its at! It's one of the sites visciom recommends, and unlike Mayang the photos arent 80000000000x60000000000 :P.

Mayang's texture site is down anyway. However, just remember to read the license agreement (such as what's on cgtextures) on sites you get texture resources from just so you don't violate any copyright laws.

visciom
Somewhere below the heavens

Post Aug 7th '08, 06:28

According to the CGTextures lisence, it is only illegal to distribute unedited versions of the photos (and hack and mass download).

EDIT: The gun was a 3d model I didn't make and can't really edit, but I'll try fix it.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 7th '08, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 8th '08, 04:24

This looks pretty badass. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 10th '08, 04:37

Okay. Here are some more, rather incomplete screenshots all taken with the assault rifle

[attachment=1908:shadow8.jpg]
[attachment=1907:shadow7.jpg]
[attachment=1909:shadow4.jpg]
[attachment=1910:shadow3.jpg]

I'd post more, but my connection hates me.

EDIT: I'm also lookin' for some music, if anyone would be interested in making me a title theme.
Attachments
shadow3.jpg
shadow3.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
shadow4.jpg
shadow4.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
shadow8.jpg
shadow8.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
shadow7.jpg
shadow7.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 10th '08, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 10th '08, 16:33

I will at least make an attempt at creating a title theme, though I haven't done this for a while, so don't expect anything amazing. Though I do need to know what you have in mind. If you can just give me a genre, or another scenario you want it to sound like, that would be great. Although, for me, the best way to create one, is for me to play through some of the scenario.

Pfhorever

PreviousNext

Return to Projects