Marathon: Infested *IMPORTANT UPDATE*

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 27th '09, 03:01

Crater Creator wrote:The player model looks good at far and medium range. I don't like the bright blue helmet, though.

Could you try decreasing the field of view? I think that's making all the guns look stretched out.

I also like the fire effect on the flamethrower, at least from what I can tell from the screenshot.

The blue visor is temporary, until I can get proper cube map reflection support.

I can't really decrease the FOV right now, as it's only 70 as it is. Anything less, and things start to look squished and ugly.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested

infestedsmith
USA

Post Jan 27th '09, 04:47

This is looking better and better. The weapon models look pretty good, especially the fusion pistol. The textures look good as well, although they still look a little flat. You may want to try putting more lighting information onto the textures so they look less flat. As mentioned by others, the shotgun wood is too red. You may want to just lower the saturation for that.

By the way, what resolution are the weapon textures in? If it's reasonably large, then I think you could add more detail to them.

Keep up the good work! [MUp]

visciom
Somewhere below the heavens

Post Jan 27th '09, 11:41

infestedsmith wrote:*Can you more specifically explain the problem with the AR? It's an exact replica of the one from Marathon 2, but the position might be wrong, dunno!

Yeah, maybe it's the position that's bothering me. And maybe the color.

But it's ok. Please keep going. [MUp]

ukimalefu

Post Jan 29th '09, 14:41

Look cool! I'm looking forward to the demo!

My Comments/Questions:

- I think the AR would look better if you could define the creases, edges and roundness more, like you did with the shotguns.

- As an alternative to adjusting FOV could you add transparency to the weapons and HUD?

- Judging from the Thunder Dome map, I'm guessing you're going off the Second Quest versions of the netmaps? This is a request to please do so, if not.

- Will the marine's hands in the HUD have gloves as the opponents appear to?

Press on!
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Jan 29th '09, 17:08

What you're doing here is very cool infectedmsith. Updating the level design of m1 will be interresting, and I particulary look forward to see screenshots of it.
Why have you chosen to use new angles for the AR and fusion pistol? It certainly break the tradition so to speak, but on the other hand, the fusionpistol looks way better from the side.

Please make this:
Dual wielding fusionpistols and being able to charge both of them. =)

goran

Post Jan 29th '09, 23:56

visciom wrote:This is looking better and better. The weapon models look pretty good, especially the fusion pistol. The textures look good as well, although they still look a little flat. You may want to try putting more lighting information onto the textures so they look less flat. As mentioned by others, the shotgun wood is too red. You may want to just lower the saturation for that.

By the way, what resolution are the weapon textures in? If it's reasonably large, then I think you could add more detail to them.

Keep up the good work! [MUp]

I'm working on that flat-ness! It's very difficult to make the weapons have a lot of depth when all the original weapons were sprites with no dynamic shading.
Most textures I use in Infested, for the weapons, and the maps, are 512x512 or less.
Thanks for the feed back. :)

effigy wrote:Look cool! I'm looking forward to the demo!
My Comments/Questions:
- I think the AR would look better if you could define the creases, edges and roundness more, like you did with the shotguns.
- As an alternative to adjusting FOV could you add transparency to the weapons and HUD?
- Judging from the Thunder Dome map, I'm guessing you're going off the Second Quest versions of the netmaps? This is a request to please do so, if not.
- Will the marine's hands in the HUD have gloves as the opponents appear to?
Press on!

Good suggestion about the AR, I think I'll try that.
I don't quite understand what you mean about transparency. Could you please explain more?
What is Second Quest? Or do you mean Marathon 2? I have been using top down Forge shots from Marathon Infinity for reference when recreating such maps.
About the gloves. Actually the player sprites have gloves, but the weapon-in-hand sprites do not. I don't know why, but that's how it is as far as I can tell.

goran wrote:What you're doing here is very cool infectedmsith. Updating the level design of m1 will be interresting, and I particulary look forward to see screenshots of it.
Why have you chosen to use new angles for the AR and fusion pistol? It certainly break the tradition so to speak, but on the other hand, the fusionpistol looks way better from the side.

Please make this:
Dual wielding fusionpistols and being able to charge both of them. =)

First, understand that this game is not a recreation of Marathon 1. Marathon: Infested has a new story that takes place after the events of Marathon 2.

I chose new angles for the Fusion Pistol and Assault Rifle, because the old angles were entirely unsuitable for a 3D game. The 2D sprites look great in those views, but that view doesn't fit in 3D so well. The positions of the weapons, and the angles, is one of the only areas in which I've made exceptions to the original game play and style.

I can't really include dual Fusion Pistols, but it would be perfectly simple to make a mod like that! :)
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Jan 30th '09, 00:34

infestedsmith wrote:What is Second Quest?

Second Quest is a remake of old net maps. The remakes look better, but keep the feel of the old maps.

Get it here

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/second-quest
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 30th '09, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

ukimalefu

Post Jan 30th '09, 01:14

infestedsmith wrote:First, understand that this game is not a recreation of Marathon 1. Marathon: Infested has a new story that takes place after the events of Marathon 2.

I don't know where I got that from. My bad.

infestedsmith wrote:I chose new angles for the Fusion Pistol and Assault Rifle, because the old angles were entirely unsuitable for a 3D game. The 2D sprites look great in those views, but that view doesn't fit in 3D so well. The positions of the weapons, and the angles, is one of the only areas in which I've made exceptions to the original game play and style.

I can't really include dual Fusion Pistols, but it would be perfectly simple to make a mod like that! :)

I have a feeling that if you ever test it there's no turning back [MLaugh]
Btw, I love the bluish look you gave to the fusion shots.

goran

Post Jan 30th '09, 08:25

Maybe you haven't finished your texture work, or even your modeling, but I believe the Marines don a bullet-proof vest of sorts. I can't really discern any from your screenshots.
I'm sure I'm just missing it. In such a case, please make it more readily apparent.
Keep up the good work.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Jan 30th '09, 14:20

infestedsmith wrote:I don't quite understand what you mean about transparency. Could you please explain more?

What I mean is to lower the opacity of the weapon-in-hand sprites, make them "see-through"ish.
infestedsmith wrote:About the gloves. Actually the player sprites have gloves, but the weapon-in-hand sprites do not. I don't know why, but that's how it is as far as I can tell.

That's what I was trying to refer to. Will the weapon-in-hand sprites get gloves? or gloves be removed from player sprites? I'll play it regardless, though!

effigy

Post Jan 30th '09, 17:14

effigy wrote:What I mean is to lower the opacity of the weapon-in-hand sprites, make them "see-through"ish.

That's what I was trying to refer to. Will the weapon-in-hand sprites get gloves? or gloves be removed from player sprites? I'll play it regardless, though!

Marathon: Infested has no sprites for the weapons. Every weapon, monster, map and scenery object is a 3D model, viewable from all angles. :D

I think there might be some misunderstanding here, so let me say this. M:I is NOT an Aleph One project. The game was designed and built from the ground up, in full 3D using the dim3 game engine.

And no, I think the WiH hands won't be gloved, I like them better with the skin showing, but the player model texture looks better with gloves on. Anyway that's how it was in the original series.

EDIT: I played some of the second quest maps. Visually they are extremely impressive, and they are great remakes. I won't be using them for reference though, because I kind of prefer the old look more, plain as it is. And anyway, I've already finished my own remakes of some of the classics, so I won't be doing them again. :)
Last edited by infestedsmith on Jan 30th '09, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Jan 30th '09, 18:03

infestedsmith wrote:EDIT: I played some of the second quest maps. Visually they are extremely impressive, and they are great remakes. I won't be using them for reference though, because I kind of prefer the old look more, plain as it is. And anyway, I've already finished my own remakes of some of the classics, so I won't be doing them again. :)

The looks of the old maps don't bother me at all, it's the lack of weapons. I'm sure you'll fix that :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 30th '09, 19:16

Good point Treellama, that is something I definitely have to make sure about. Thank you for the tip.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Jan 30th '09, 20:23

I do understand this is unrelated to A1. So, opacity/transparency/alpha blending (sorry, I'm not sure of the proper term I'm looking for) is not an option with 3D models? Personally, I think the guns are fine, but I thought that might be an option for those complaining about how much of the screen they took up. I wasn't really concerned about looks or details so much as playability, specifically in Wrath No More, but either way this is exciting.

effigy

Post Jan 30th '09, 20:36

I will probably release a "Classic Weapons" mod or something, for people who REALLY want the straight ahead look, but otherwise, I'll just be using the angled view. :)

And no, transparency on the entire weapon is pretty much impossible, the alpha sorting gets screwed up.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 16th '09, 14:53

Bad news and good news guys. Please read, and share your thoughts and concerns.

http://www.coldfusiongames.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.0
Last edited by infestedsmith on Feb 16th '09, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 16th '09, 15:10

I'm sorry to hear you are cutting out the single player portion of Infested. Stuff never turns out perfect. But even without the single player, I think this project is going to be pure awesome. I'm still looking forward to the release and now that is much sooner! [MGrin]
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Feb 16th '09, 16:09

Imo, it's good to know your own limits. Decreasing the pressure was the right thing to do. [MUp]

goran

Post Feb 16th '09, 20:34

Good to hear this guys! I appreciate it.

Goran, you're right. Knowing your limits is a key to making any project. I didn't know mine until much later. Now that I understand my limits, my later projects will be far more reasonable.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 17th '09, 07:23

What exactly was wrong with the single player? SP is always my favorite part of a Marathon Scenario, and I was hoping to play it because my connection sucks too much to play multiplayer for many games.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 17th '09, 16:06

Nothing wrong with the single player. It's just that after looking at how long I've been working on this project, and then looking at how much longer I have to finish the SP, I realized I was just burned out of working on this same game all this time.

I have to take my ACT, go to college, get a job and more in the next two years, and I don't want to be stuck with this same game.

However, you needn't worry about your connection, there will be a single player survival mode, and fully working LAN, as well as bots to play with in multiplayer.

Go check out the CFG forum thread for more exclusive information.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 17th '09, 16:30

By chance, is what you do have done for single player of demo quality?

effigy

Post Feb 17th '09, 20:04

No, it's strewn all over the place over different versions and builds. :\

There is somebody who might possibly make some short single player scenarios. I also have some ideas on how to make some single player without too much trouble.
Cold Fusion Games
Progress is plentiful...

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 17th '09, 21:19

Cool. I was hoping for something equivalent to the dim3 engine demo, or even the Halathon weapons test. That sounds even better, though. I hope it works out.

effigy

Post Feb 17th '09, 21:19

Cool. I was hoping for something equivalent to the dim3 engine demo, or even the Halothon weapons test. That sounds even better, though. I hope it works out.

effigy

PreviousNext

Return to Projects