Marathon: Nova

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Dec 11th '09, 05:00

honestly, I like the blue how it is. the patter itself is what gets me. Of course, it always buggs me when I can see the same patch of dirt repeated on a surface in a game (where tiled textures are used)

otherwise, great!
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Dec 11th '09, 05:09

$lave wrote:Not much happened with this during November, but I'm finally getting back to mapping for this. Here a couple screenshots of what will be the last two maps for the first chapter. The first chapter makes up a bit under 1/3 of the scenario and I have one map for the second chapter, so I might start working on some terminals once I finish these two maps.

The purple in the first picture looks really nice. Have you thought about maybe releasing the chapters as episodes rather than waiting until you've got the entire scenario done? That way you'd at least be able to get something out instead of giving up in a couple of years or having to start over again after losing all of your work.
Image Image

interion

Post Dec 11th '09, 05:20

Yea, it would be a good idea to pull an eternal. It looks good.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Dec 11th '09, 06:43

I don't mind. Either way, I get to play some awesome scenario.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 11th '09, 14:33

Tim wrote:Have you thought about maybe releasing the chapters as episodes rather than waiting until you've got the entire scenario done?

I have considered this, and it still is a possibility. I'd probably end up wanting to revamp each chapter by the time the next one was released, but I could probably fix up everything once all the chapters are released and do a final release after. The only problem with this is that I think I'd like to have this played as a whole to some extent, and I'm not sure if something would be lost in releasing chapters individually. Either way, I'll consider it.

As far as the overwhelming amount of blue goes, I do see what you mean and I generally re-texture the majority of a level once it's done. If the rest of the map uses a lot of blue then I will probably change it, but I like to have one or two areas that stand out in that way.

I'm glad people like how this looks, thanks.

$lave

Post Dec 11th '09, 14:47

Envy wrote:the blue in that second one is overwhelming. get a different floor, that will do the trick.

The floor would be fine if there were any shading on either the floor or columns.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 11th '09, 15:47

Portal of Sigma Chapter 2 still hasn't come out.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Dec 11th '09, 18:49

The last screenshot in particular reminded me so much of Sigma.... maybe this is Sigma ch 2.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Dec 11th '09, 19:39

Maybe we are all Sigma ch 2. I like the purple and I agree with Treellama: the blue room needs more dramatic shading.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Dec 11th '09, 21:44

well even if you remove the blue floor, theres still blue left... whatever you want. i personally wont go to that room much. (=
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Jan 1st '10, 14:53

You should release some of the levels to give people a shot, and tell you what you're doing wrong and right. Just, like, the first 2 or 3.

gmanyo

Post Jan 1st '10, 15:09

gmanyo wrote:You should release some of the levels to give people a shot, and tell you what you're doing wrong and right. Just, like, the first 2 or 3.

Yeah, a demo would be nice. I'm itching to play it already.
Last edited by Dugit on Jan 1st '10, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 1st '10, 19:53

I've decided not to release a demo, but I still might end up releasing this chapter-by-chapter. If I do that, then I only need to make one more level and then write terminals for the first chapter. Most of my time now has been invested in another (not marathon related) project, but if I make an effort I could probably do that by march, but april is more likely since I'm going to be pretty busy through late January and all of February.

$lave

Post Jan 1st '10, 20:18

If you have more-or-less completed the whole thing, I'd prefer one big release, rather than chapter by chapter.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 1st '10, 20:29

Dugit wrote:If you have more-or-less completed the whole thing, I'd prefer one big release, rather than chapter by chapter.

I have all but one of the levels for the first chapter and two for the second chapter, and I haven't done any mapping for the third chapter. You would be waiting a long time for a full release.

$lave

Post Jan 1st '10, 20:30

OK then. Chapters are fine. Can't wait. Do you have any idea as to when you'll be releasing the first chapter?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 1st '10, 22:04

Yeah, I'd like chapters. Plus, if people liked it, it would be an encouragement to actually finish the scenario, since few scenarios are ever finished.

gmanyo

Post Jan 1st '10, 22:12

gmanyo wrote:Yeah, I'd like chapters. Plus, if people liked it, it would be an encouragement to actually finish the scenario, since few scenarios are ever finished.

Plus, It'd be like the telling of a story, with a number of nail-biting intermissions.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 2nd '10, 01:06

It also means we'd get 1 and 2 soon after, but have longer gaps in between 2 and 3, and 3 and 4, and so on. It also means that $lave is kind of restricted on what maps he can work on.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Jan 2nd '10, 10:45

I wouldn't mind. Good Marathon is good Marathon.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 07:51

I think he should just release 2 or 3 levels to get people wanting more. Not even a whole chapter. It's called advertising.

gmanyo

Post Jan 3rd '10, 17:55

gmanyo wrote:I think he should just release 2 or 3 levels to get people wanting more. Not even a whole chapter. It's called advertising.

I'm glad that you seem interested in the project, but if I'm releasing the game by chapters (which I probably will) then I'm not going to release a demo.

$lave

Post Jan 3rd '10, 17:57

This topic is ample advertising, anyway.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Previous

Return to Projects