Codename: Rebirth

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 17th '09, 19:33

Hello again, fellow geeks. I'm attempting to recreate M1A1 in full 3d glory, using the Blender Game Engine. This is actually a project for me to learn the blender game engine, but since Marathon's gameplay is quite simple (point, massacre, press switch), I'm sure I won't have too much trouble recreating the mechanics. I do have some programming experience, and plenty of super-over-ambitious project experience, just so you know. I'm not optimistically jumping into a deathtrap of a project; in fact, my real goal for the time being is just to get to the point where I could plop the player and some aliens onto a plane and let them duke it out. The mechanics have to work before the real development begins, so everything's just going to be placeholders and junk for a while, though I will be making finished models and such pretty often, because I can't restrain myself.

That being said, here's my first bit of progress. Other than the lack of ponytail thing, the compiler's head and shoulders are done, but that's all.

I'm mostly working on the control scheme at the moment, and am about to start modeling the magnum. By the way, I've extracted all of the in-game sprites, but if anyone knows of some other good references for the weapons, I'd appreciate them.
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 17th '09, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 17th '09, 22:02

this is quite interesting. i'll be keeping my eyes on this.

JohannesG

Post Jan 17th '09, 23:02

Awesome!! Are you attempting to render the maps from the game files (is it the shapes one?) or are you rebuilding the levels from scratch?
sweatervest

Post Jan 17th '09, 23:39

Thanks. :) If (hopefully when) I get that far, the maps will be rebuilt from scratch, but will still have the same structure.

Here's some progress on the magnum. I'm using a desert eagle as a reference for the details, but trying to remain as true as possible to the pixelated goodness of the .44 Mega Class. ;)

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 18th '09, 00:23

Very nice! I actually use blender to make sprites for my scenario, Marathon: Fusion. The rendered scene in your second post looks awesome.

Also, you may be able to use MarathUp to get map files into sketchup, and export as a .3ds. You might have to tinker with MarathUp a little (I think MarathUp only exports scenes into map files, but if it has the translators you might be able to reverse it), but it would be a lot easier than building every map again from scratch.

Also Treellama if I just got something wrong, I'm not trolling, I'm just stupid.
Major Pedro

Post Jan 18th '09, 02:01

You are my god.

I have always wanted this to happen (With a hopeful day in the future in which Marathon migrates to full 3-D, all the time.)

While I am inexperienced code wise, and until I would have any time, or understand the code that goes into Blender Game Engine, I would be very interested in what you require at this stage. I would assume textures, and perhaps models... But I am on a Macbook, and our iMac is used frequently. The Macbook, using (dear god why) the Intel GMA950 chipset (*hurl*) probably would balk at most 3D renders. But I could try my hand on the iMac, and see what comes of it.

I hope something good comes of this. The last time it was attempted, it was done by the Marathon:Resurrection team. I've played M:R, and it was done on the Quake '99 engine.. unfortunately. They didn't do a very good job, atleast imho, and while the maps were consistant, the aliens and weapons needed work. Hopefully with the more modern Blender engine, something a little more up to date and professional can be forged!
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 18th '09, 04:13

Major Pedro: Thanks for the tip, that could be pretty useful. What I want to do, though, is recreate the environments in full detail instead of just having the simple geometric structures of 2.5D games. The levels will be inspired by the originals, and have the same layout, but will be largely re-imagined (for obvious reasons... as we all know, you can only fit so many environmental details on tiled wall textures [MGrin] ). I would say to imagine Marathon in the Halo world, but Halo has a completely different aesthetic... I can't really think of a game I've played that looks like what I'm aiming for. Oh well, just wait and see. :P

The rendered scene in your second post looks awesome.

Thanks. That's actually real-time in the GLSL shaded view (identical to the game engine output).

Lh'owon: Haha, I can't help but love it when you post. XD Don't get your hopes up too high, but I'd definitely love for this to become a full-fledged total conversion. I'm not going to ask for help just yet, because 1) it's very difficult for me to stray from the "if you want something done right, do it yourself" motto, and 2) it's just hard to employ the help of others when you still don't have any finished visuals, as everyone has their own view of what something should look like. Somewhere along the line, it'll come to that, though (probably after I complete Arrival).

Yeah, I've looked at that Marathon: Resurrection, and though I admire their efforts, I don't like their unfaithful reproductions of the objects/characters. It just didn't look anything like Marathon except for the wall textures... Marathon's visuals have a very distinct feel to them, and all the screenshots there feel like Quake, not Marathon. Not to say that I guarantee mine will be perfect, but I hope to remain as true to the original as possible.

Lastly, here's some more magnum progress (haven't gotten too much farther, cause I had to watch a few X-Files episodes :P).

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 18th '09, 04:30

Your stuff looks quite nice. I really hope this gets finished.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Jan 18th '09, 06:45

A Desert Eagle?

I don't care if your a cyborg or not. That is gonna hurt your hands, especially if your using it as much as you do in M1A1.
You wont be able to use your hand.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jan 18th '09, 09:20

I did an extremely anal reproduction of the Magnum for my late project. However, since I am such a poor 3D-modeler I would be embarrassed to share it unless you really need it. I also did a MA-75 and a Defender (which will be of no use to you, of course).
How many triangles or polygons (whichever way you count it) in your Compiler? Because that is looking very accurate!
I agree with you on Resurrection. I am grave-robbing Engine Zero for models to play with and that too is wrought with inaccuracy. The models are very good considering their low ploy-count, but some of them, the cyborg in particular, looks way off. I suppose they were just modeling them as they remembered, but I look at all reference-material I can get.
If it is any help, the PDF manual of M1 on the trilogy release page has illustrations of the weapons in larger definition that in game sprites.
Any kind of help I could offer, ask it of me. I'll see what I can do.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Jan 18th '09, 14:03

MoppyPupppy: Hehe, don't worry. I'm only using it because it's a magnum, and I've never modeled a gun before, so I don't know how to look at the .45 Mega Class and fill in the details, if you know what I mean. Plus, in all honesty, I think a guy who uses a missle launcher constantly, and blows himself up with it to reach high ledges, would be relieved to use a dinky Desert Eagle for a few levels. [MTongue]

One thing that's driving me crazy is that I don't think the Marathon guys knew anything more about guns than I do. The .45 MC has both a clip and a... revolving thing. I don't think that can work in real life, can it? XD I couldn't tell what those rounded parts were supposed to be from the sprites, but assuming those illustrations in the manual CubicCircle pointed out are official, that's the case.

CubicCircle: Thanks. :) The Compiler has 564 triangles so far, not including the placeholder cape. And thanks for pointing out that manual; it is indeed very useful!

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 18th '09, 15:30

I use the Pfhorums... around here when something like this happens, it's hard TO get your hopes up, because 9 out of every 10 ambitious projects like this end up rotting in the Orphanage, or some such.

Also, I agree with you on M:R. They wanted to make it a reproduction, but it certainly wasn't. Heck the MA-5B wasn't the original one, it was from m2. They just took to many liberties with it. And I'll be playing with Blender from now on waiting for that day [MSmile]

L'howon

Post Jan 18th '09, 16:48

I just "decided" the Magnum to be a revolver. First of all, the revolver drum is obvious. The fact that the player loads it with a clip in-game can be theorized a sign of... a bit of slack. The number of frames required for a revolver reloading sequence, of the way that this turned out in tests, could have forced them to abandon it.
Secondly, the name Magnum suggests a magnum caliber, which is MOST COMMONLY used in revolvers. I am unsure if there are any pistols that use the caliber, as it is larger.
Thirdly, I preferred it. Since M2 has a pistol, it was nice to have a wider arsenal altogether.

Ah, I see that Compiler of yours is going to get too large for me to use. I am playing around with low-poly models, trying to make something... different. Mere experimentation... so far.

Glad to hear the manual helped. They sure helped me, when I found them nigh too late. Anything else, you ask.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Jan 18th '09, 17:27

Considering what you say, and the fact that a 9mm-type pistol is way harder to model realistically (I've been stumped for the past few hours just trying to model the magazine right..), I'm going to meet the two in the middle and make it use revolving drums that pop in like a magazine. Two reasons: 1) I can't imagine myself animating the marine's hand loading a revolver. [MErr] 2) This is sci-fi so I can do what I want. [MGrin]

Sorry to hear the compiler is too big for your graphics card. [MFrown]

And I'll be playing with Blender from now on waiting for that day 1.png

You do that!
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 18th '09, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 18th '09, 17:56

CubicCircle wrote:Secondly, the name Magnum suggests a magnum caliber, which is MOST COMMONLY used in revolvers. I am unsure if there are any pistols that use the caliber, as it is larger.

Actually the typical Desert Eagle uses magnum ammo (.357 Magnum or .44 Magnum), unlike the Action Express version (the one found massively in video games) that houses 7 cartridges of .50 Action Express

Since the DE uses gas-operated mechanism instead of the traditional recoil based mechanism of pistols it allows bigger cartridges by lowering and smothing the impact of recoil.

But, as said in Stalker Clear sky, you don't hunt Elephants every day? and when it comes to ammo 7 is a bit low
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Jan 18th '09, 20:15

Cool!!!

I was wondering if you were rendering the levels from the shapes files because if that is true then this project could possibly serve as a new renderer for A1... it needs to be integrated which would take a lot of work but it sounds like you are essentially writing a Marathon renderer from scratch (among other things), which I would think is a simpler path to expanding the capabilities of A1's renderer than trying to modify the existing OpenGL renderer (for major expansions at least). Either way, I am very excited to see this! Those models look excellent too.

My biggest criticism of Marathon: Resurrection is the AI. I felt like I was playing Unreal on Marathon levels, fighting Skaarj that looked like Pfhor. I feel like the Marathon trilogy was still back in the days where you plowed through dozens of braindead enemies, instead of having to outsmart intelligent enemies. That's why I would love to see a Marathon engine that stays true to the feel of the original but gives it the graphical abilities of a modern engine. If I remember correctly, the M:R team explicitly pointed out that this was not their intention.
Last edited by sweatervest on Jan 18th '09, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
sweatervest

Post Jan 18th '09, 21:15

Haha, I'm not writing my own engine by any means. I'm using the Blender Game Engine, which uses logic bricks for programming, and if one knows how, you can use python scripting. That might sound like saying "I'm using Game Maker's drag and drop functions," but I assure you the BGE is extremely powerful.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 18th '09, 21:19

JohnDoe wrote:Haha, I'm not writing my own engine by any means. I'm using the Blender Game Engine, which uses logic bricks for programming, and if one knows how, you can use python scripting. That might sound like saying "I'm using Game Maker's drag and drop functions," but I assure you the BGE is extremely powerful.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Ohhh okay I see what you mean. I've never heard of the BGE before I'll have to check it out!
sweatervest

Post Jan 19th '09, 00:53

I've actually made an FPS in blender, just to see if it is possible. It worked okay, but I have no idea how you're going to program the enemy AI. It would be very difficult using the logic brick system.

Also, although I'm a bit busy now, I'm quite experienced with blender, and I wouldn't mind helping you out, if you like.
Major Pedro

Post Jan 19th '09, 01:24

It worked okay, but I have no idea how you're going to program the enemy AI.
I don't know either, as of yet, but I'm sure it'll be possible. The enemy behavior in Marathon just seems to be "Attack player... If a subordinate attacks you, kill him first, then attack player." The first time I saw a compiler turn and kill the fighters next to him, I freaked out with twisted joy. XD I've never seen enemies react to friendly fire in new games...

Also, although I'm a bit busy now, I'm quite experienced with blender, and I wouldn't mind helping you out, if you like.

Thanks for the offer. :) I'm fine for the time being, but when I need help I'll definitely ask for it.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 19th '09, 03:26

Who here wants to play Marathon 1 AGAIN?
I'm not trying to be mean. But I'm hoping that you make the levels with the same objectives, same dialogue, DIFFERENT MAP LAYOUT.
I don't care if this game has graphics on par with an the next batch of next gen consoles. I want something new.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jan 19th '09, 03:53

JohnDoe wrote:I've never seen enemies react to friendly fire in new games...

Seriously! Getting monsters to fight each other was so crucial in old school FPS games.

Twas a golden age...

As for playing M1 again... honestly I'm fine with that, I still play the same Doom and Duke Nukem (etc.) levels over and over! Also I am interested in experiencing the same story/levels with next-gen presentation. To make it interesting try making yourself some extra objectives... try going for pure speed, or kill every monster, or only use your fists, or find every secret (without the MSG!)... I feel like whenever I play through these games I always miss something, so I always want to play again. I don't even want to think about how many times I've played through Super Mario World!
Last edited by sweatervest on Jan 19th '09, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
sweatervest

Post Jan 19th '09, 03:58

I agree. Please don't change anything. I really hope that this project gets done:)

Odie

Post Jan 19th '09, 04:22

M1 is a good starter though, it's maps were relatively basic compared to some of the maps this community has produced over the years.
Maybe M2, if you're feeling ambitious.

L'howon

Post Jan 19th '09, 04:28

Who here wants to play Marathon 1 AGAIN?
Me. [MTongue] Just kidding, no offense taken. That's an interesting viewpoint that hadn't occurred to me.

To make it interesting try making yourself some extra objectives... try going for pure speed, or kill every monster, or only use your fists, or find every secret (without the MSG!)...

Haha, for right now, I'll try to create a functional game in the first place. Nice ideas, though. [MGrin]

johndoe
the core

Next

Return to Projects