Codename: Rebirth

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 19th '09, 04:49

JohnDoe wrote:Haha, for right now, I'll try to create a functional game in the first place. Nice ideas, though. [MGrin]

Oh I just meant doing that in your head, like I love doing speed runs or kill everything in "If I Had a Rocket Launcher..." on TC. Haha yeah I didn't mean actually programming in new game types.
sweatervest

Post Jan 19th '09, 14:52

JohnDoe wrote:Sorry to hear the compiler is too big for your graphics card.

Slight misunderstanding. That's not what I meant. I meant it was to big for me too steal and play around with. I can put low-poly-count models to good use.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Jan 19th '09, 16:20

Oh. I figured that might have been what you meant, but I didn't feel like listing all of the different possible reasons. :P

Edit: After much debate, I've decided I might not use the Blender Game Engine, primarily because, though Python can be used, everything still boils down to logic bricks, which aggravates me. It just feels clunky to work with, unlike editing plain text. Another open-source engine I've become interested in using is Panda3D, which is also very capable.

Anyway, until my friend and I choose which path to take, I'll still be working on all the 3D models I can, and posting my progress here.
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 20th '09, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 21st '09, 16:05

Ok, I need a bit of help with the magnum! What is that thing under the barrel? A flashlight, laser, leather grip?

Here's what I have so far. I've changed the scope to more like the original sprite (I'll include some more details to make it as interesting to look at as the realistic one). I'm gonna go work on some of the other stuff for now.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 21st '09, 16:32

you seems to be doing fine all by yourself, but if you want a guy to model guns for you im your man. ;)
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jan 21st '09, 18:51

The metal underneath serves two purposes- one is structural integrity and the other is either a cylinder lock spring (which can be used to release the cylinder that it flips outward so you can reload) on older revolvers, or just a cylinder axle support for more modern revolvers

I'll upload a pic of my revolver when I get a chance, but here's an example:

that axle there makes sure that the cylinder spins true, on this modern revolver there is a thumb release for it when you reload.
Last edited by jessenator on Jan 21st '09, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 21st '09, 20:07

CryoS: I might take you up on that sometime. I would ask for a work sample, but as you know I've already seen your stuff. :)

jessenator: I'm sorry, I know about the pin and all that on regular revolvers. I was referring to this hulking thing that I'm pretty sure is exclusive to the ".44 Mega Class." :P
[attachment=2391:45megaclass.png]

It almost resembles another revolving drum there, but in the game it looks like a leather grip... I think it would make the most sense if it were a laser pointer, but there's already a sight on the top. I know the two are often used in conjunction, but on a pistol? [MErr]
Maybe we can just assume the magnum was designed for more covert operations than plowing through crowds of alien scumbags. [MGrin]

By the way, when you get your chance, I would much appreciate it if you could take a couple photos of the area behind the cylinder for me (the part where the hammer pokes through). I couldn't find any on Google Images, and I'm sort of stumped on how to model it, especially the mechanism that turns the cylinder.

Edit: I should probably just go pull out one of those cheapo revolver cap guns... I kinda forgot I had them.

Status report:
My programmer friend has agreed to take on the task of all the programming (at least until the project goes public), so I can stick to working on the visual side of things, and he actually really likes the BGE, so we're still going with that. ;)
Attachments
45megaclass.png
45megaclass.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 21st '09, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 23rd '09, 05:07

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 23rd '09, 08:43

I believe that it is a wooden detail and might serve little real purpose. The handle too has wooden coverings. Many of the M1 weapons have wooden details.
It might be a sort of grip for two handed use. All I can really say is that I am convinced of the material.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Jan 23rd '09, 10:27

Maybe the brown area is a container for magnum ronds.
Last edited by goran on Jan 23rd '09, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jan 23rd '09, 18:50

The magnum in the trilogy is an auto-pistol (or automatic reloading), meaning it has a slide along with various other pieces. the space underneath the barrel is to house the elements and the mechanics of the gun's recoil/reload system and needs to be protected from gunk, dirt and so on in order to function. The excess on Marathon's magnum was probably some embellishment by the artist, but the metal does serve a purpose being there there.
example:

as you can see the barrel itself does not take up the whole space in there, but is needed none the less.
you get dirt or other crap in there from the slide and spring being always exposed (granted if you somehow thrust the thing into the mud and timed it just right and fired it so it took some in when it slid back, it can get dirt in too :P )

On a revolver however there is no slide, the mechanics of the pistol are entirely different. Like I've posted before , the space underneath the barrel is for structural support of the barrel, and to act as a guide to house the cylinder axle so it spins correctly and (this is the meat of my explanation) takes the recoil of the round being discharged. this is especially true with higher caliber rounds, like the .44, .357mag, and .50 action express
Last edited by jessenator on Jan 23rd '09, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 23rd '09, 23:44

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't planning to exclude the drum-steadying-barrel-supporting mechanism. It's only absent on the model for now because it's easier to make a clean mesh if you model the parts separately and attach them afterward. Since the big hulking thing takes the place of it, I figured I should find out what it could possibly be (I mean other than a house for the pin) so that I could better model it.

Thanks so much for the reference video!

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 24th '09, 00:03

JohnDoe wrote:Haha, don't worry, I wasn't planning to exclude the drum-steadying-barrel-supporting mechanism. It's only absent on the model for now because it's easier to make a clean mesh if you model the parts separately and attach them afterward. Since the big hulking thing takes the place of it, I figured I should find out what it could possibly be (I mean other than a house for the pin) so that I could better model it.

You should attach a flashlight (In blender that would be spot or area light) onto that thing. It would look pretty awesome in game, as well as making it spookier
Major Pedro

Post Jan 24th '09, 00:50

JohnDoe wrote:Haha, don't worry, I wasn't planning to exclude the drum-steadying-barrel-supporting mechanism. It's only absent on the model for now because it's easier to make a clean mesh if you model the parts separately and attach them afterward. Since the big hulking thing takes the place of it, I figured I should find out what it could possibly be (I mean other than a house for the pin) so that I could better model it.

Thanks so much for the reference video!

aha, i see. unless you wanted to make something along the lines of the Golden Gun :P

no prob for the video

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 24th '09, 02:35

Major Pedro wrote:You should attach a flashlight (In blender that would be spot or area light) onto that thing. It would look pretty awesome in game, as well as making it spookier

Hm, an idea..

I mean, to me personally having a looker smack me in the face is a jittering enough experience.
But, in the long term, the flashlight could play into adding some more atmosphere to the game.
I'm not saying go full force for the scary factor (I.e, Doom 3.), but it's a thought.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 24th '09, 14:56

Flashlight it is, then. [MGrin] I can't believe I didn't think of that...

I'm definitely going for a spooky atmosphere, because that's what I felt when playing the game. M1 had the same kind of spookiness as the first appearance of the flood in Halo 1. It wasn't because of advanced AI or anything, but that you couldn't really know where they were until they were within melee range, and they could come from all directions, so you had to be on your toes constantly. In M1, there's also a much more claustrophobic feel, and plenty of corners to peek around constantly, and those moments where you sort of rush around a corner and there's an alien just standing there, that hasn't noticed you yet... Or when you run right smack into an invisible compiler... (shudders)

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 24th '09, 15:46

JohnDoe wrote:Flashlight it is, then. [MGrin] I can't believe I didn't think of that...

I'm definitely going for a spooky atmosphere, because that's what I felt when playing the game. M1 had the same kind of spookiness as the first appearance of the flood in Halo 1. It wasn't because of advanced AI or anything, but that you couldn't really know where they were until they were within melee range, and they could come from all directions, so you had to be on your toes constantly. In M1, there's also a much more claustrophobic feel, and plenty of corners to peek around constantly, and those moments where you sort of rush around a corner and there's an alien just standing there, that hasn't noticed you yet... Or when you run right smack into an invisible compiler... (shudders)

Ah, the memories of Cool Fusion. Curse that giant platform, and where it leads.

L'howon

Post Jan 25th '09, 00:05

Lh wrote:I'm not saying go full force for the scary factor (I.e, Doom 3.), but it's a thought.

You remember how you first meet the Imps, and they climb on the wall like spiders? It would be awesome if the Pfhor did that.

Also, seeing as the Pfhorums are going down the plughole, are you (not sure of plural) going to continue this elsewhere, or privately, or what?
Last edited by Major Pedro on Jan 25th '09, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Major Pedro

Post Jan 25th '09, 04:03

I'm going to post any progress here, and later the BlenderArtists forums. The halt in progress is because I'm also working on my Morrowind armor remodeling project (example). I started that last year, but I just "resurrected" it the other day, as I had to stop working on it when summer came to an end. My work will alternate between this, the Morrowind project, and schoolwork, so progress might not be very quick until I get into the swing of things.

In the meantime, my friend is about to set up player controls and other basic things.

For those who play Morrowind, here's the forum thread for that project: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=945530
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 25th '09, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 26th '09, 21:50

Sounds like a great idea and project here. Keep it up.

I would second the other guy saying not M1 again. We already have the original games to play, let's have a new scenario, or something else!
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested

infestedsmith
USA

Post Jan 26th '09, 22:09

infestedsmith wrote:Sounds like a great idea and project here. Keep it up.

I would second the other guy saying not M1 again. We already have the original games to play, let's have a new scenario, or something else!

Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as new scenario. That's a whole different can of worms to open. Better to stick to the basic and convert something like M2 or Infinity. We've already had M1 redone (Twice? Counting M:R and M1:A1?).

L'howon

Post Jan 29th '09, 02:13

Regardless of the number of other efforts, M1 is what I'm recreating. I feel it has a much more compelling narrative than Durandal does so far, and aside from that, would just be easier on me in general. Remember, once one scenario is done, others are just a matter of new models and textures (or even reuse of the existing elements). ;)

I'm nearly done with the magnum (been busy, so I haven't worked on it for a while). Once that's done, the Marine will be next, so that we can really start work on player controls and the basic mechanics.
Attachments
magnum_5.jpg
magnum_5.jpg (237.93 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Last edited by johndoe on Jan 29th '09, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 29th '09, 03:07

Well, are you going to make it exactly like the original, or are you going to add a few things? For instance, the hound/armageddon beast/civillian pfhor? I think it'd be cool to include some things the original didn't.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jan 29th '09, 05:17

Well, yes, it's not going to be *exactly* like the original, or there wouldn't be much purpose in remaking it. For example, things like the gliding just wouldn't translate at all to a realistic 3D version. As others suggested, the levels will probably be different, and maybe even the way objectives are carried out. One thing I've considered is, when the AI's are speaking directly to the player, the transcripts could be voiced over. Of course, these are just hopes for the final product; I do have yet to make even a functional player character.

johndoe
the core

Post Jan 29th '09, 06:21

May I place your attention to this site hce.halomaps.org
It has all the Halo stuff you need, also, try Halo Custom Edition, its like the forge king of all Bungie games.
KillerKip1

PreviousNext

Return to Projects