Secret project coming soon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

The second level also has a strong directional light. I'm sorry, I can't really make it much lighter without making it look like it's dangerously close to an atomic explosion. I darkened my screen as far as I could go, and everything still looks visible to me on God of Dread.
If you increased your screen light to the max, would that help?
I suppose this varies from display to display. Do you use a CRT screen, because on most TFT monitors dark areas seem to have a lower contrast. What makes you think that this would look like an atomic explosion if you'd increase the gamma value? A few percent more light would already help in my situation. Sometimes I can't even see where I have to go in order to get to the next room and that is annoying...
I'll try that out as well.
EDIT: Ha ha! That's pretty cool! Nice idea.
Wow, I really like that screenshot, would be awesome if you can get it working in a future release!
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Mar 13th '09, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
infestedsmith
Cyborg

Dude the game looks great and plays awesome! However there are some very irritating problems that spoil the fun. :(

Here's the list (some may have already been mentioned):

?Pfhor run way too fast. It's impossible to run from them once you've been discovered, they shouldn't run slower then the player, but definitely not a lot faster.
?Pfhor attacks somehow stun the marine. It's weird that I have to get all my killing shots off instantly, because as soon as a pfhor fighter hits me, and I can't do anything!
?Point system is confusing, there's a 0/3 type point system, and then the 10 points remaining one. If I'm down to 1 point remaining, but still have 0/3, I have to revert to default in everything to respawn.

Overall, the game looks awesome! I'd love to be able to enjoy it more, if you'd just make it a bit more fair starting out, that'd be great. :)

Wow, just played it some more, this is a super fun game. If you just make the enemy speed a bit slower, and drop the stun effect a bit it'll be even better. A sidestep would also be very welcome.
Last edited by infestedsmith on Mar 13th '09, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:Thanks. That helps.

Well, in the second screenshot, the box that says "Points left : 10" is the spawn button. Nothing happens when you click it?
Nope.
Nitocris
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote:I suppose this varies from display to display. Do you use a CRT screen, because on most TFT monitors dark areas seem to have a lower contrast. What makes you think that this would look like an atomic explosion if you'd increase the gamma value? A few percent more light would already help in my situation. Sometimes I can't even see where I have to go in order to get to the next room and that is annoying...
And this is all the levels? Or just the really dark first one?
thedoctor45 wrote:Wow, I really like that screenshot, would be awesome if you can get it working in a future release!
Well, it's working, ant it's looking better than the FPS one. Might be swayed to include it.

?Pfhor run way too fast. It's impossible to run from them once you've been discovered, they shouldn't run slower then the player, but definitely not a lot faster.
?Pfhor attacks somehow stun the marine. It's weird that I have to get all my killing shots off instantly, because as soon as a pfhor fighter hits me, and I can't do anything!

There shouldn't be that many Major fighters on the first level. Must have been an oversight on my part. Minor fighters attack much slower and the player is allowed to recover and cap his ass between attacks. Maybe lessen the stun overall.

?Point system is confusing, there's a 0/3 type point system, and then the 10 points remaining one. If I'm down to 1 point remaining, but still have 0/3, I have to revert to default in everything to respawn.

I welcome help with phrasing it. The 0/3 is how many points you have and can maximally have in a single life, 10 points remaining is how many points you can lose before you fail.

ukimalefu, just to exhaust every option, if you nullify all the bars, just take the very cheapest options and hit the 10 points remaining button, it STILL doesn't play? That seems... impossible.
Slow day.
infestedsmith
Cyborg

I think your health/life points should be separate from your spending points. If the player is in a bad position, you should give him a bit more help, not less. :)

I played the Pfhor fighter and Spht levels too. Both excellent. Graphics look really slick all around.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

And this is all the levels? Or just the really dark first one?
it's crippling me only in the first level.
Well, it's working, ant it's looking better than the FPS one. Might be swayed to include it.
there's one "might" too much in this sentence ;)
As i said earlier, decreasing the freeze stun-effect to a simple slow down of the players reaction time/movement would suffice in my opinion.
Nitocris
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote:it's crippling me only in the first level.
Look at this screenshot, then tell me who's you daddy. I went to a lot of trouble to make this, just for you. It's crude, but it should work.
thedoctor45 wrote:there's one "might" too much in this sentence ;)
I dunno. A lot of the magic is lost up close. If I can make it look good enough, sure. If not... maybe never.
thedoctor45 wrote:As i said earlier, decreasing the freeze stun-effect to a simple slow down of the players reaction time/movement would suffice in my opinion.
OK. I've reduced the stun of the Pfhor staff by 25%. That's my final offer. I've changed so that not all fighters on God of Dread are Major. Minor fighters are the cannon-fodder you want. I've also reduced the stun of the wasp sting, but NOT THE VENOM. The paralyzing effect is crucial for the wasp, as it allows it to get close while the victim is stunned.
Attachments
Bild_40.png
Bild_40.png (23.06 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 14th '09, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:Look at this screenshot, then tell me who's you daddy. I went to a lot of trouble to make this, just for you. It's crude, but it should work.
I dunno. A lot of the magic is lost up close. If I can make it look good enough, sure. If not... maybe never.
OK. I've reduced the stun of the Pfhor staff by 25%. That's my final offer. I've changed so that not all fighters on God of Dread are Major. Minor fighters are the cannon-fodder you want. I've also reduced the stun of the wasp sting, but NOT THE VENOM. The paralyzing effect is crucial for the wasp, as it allows it to get close while the victim is stunned.
Offer accepted.
You sir have my eternal gratitude.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, if I DO NOT touch the customization options and go with the defaults, the game does start. [MGrin]

It looks very good. I died in like 2 seconds and then tried to change the options again with the same results. Tried to reset them back, and nothing, had to quit. But at least it's some progress.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

There's no side stepping?

I get killed to easy! Why is it so hard!? (damn grenades)

I killed a Bob to take his weapon. Couldn't. Is this possible at all?
Last edited by ukimalefu on Mar 14th '09, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nitocris
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:There's no side stepping?
No.
ukimalefu wrote:I get killed to easy! Why is it so hard!? (damn grenades)
Because you're a Bob, the bottom of the food chain.
ukimalefu wrote:I killed a Bob to take his weapon. Couldn't. Is this possible at all?
No.

I've updated the simplici7y version to .35 now. Fixes a lot of your concerns.
I hope the new phrasing of the points system is more understandable.
And that the new gamma control works satisfactory. Try small increments to begin with.
Also, the defender fires three round burst. Harder to use, but more deadly.
Less major fighters on level 1.
Increased effectiveness of human armor. And without changing cost! How generous. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Lessened stun.
Slow day.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

BUG:

But I don't care, because I got to change options and complete the 1st level. And it looks great.

Is that red box ammo? I couldn't pick it up, or another I found?

Also, I hope the games auto-saves. I couldn't find an obvious way to do it.

Keep up the good work.
Nitocris
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:BUG:

But I don't care, because I got to change options and complete the 1st level. And it looks great.

Is that red box ammo? I couldn't pick it up, or another I found?

Also, I hope the games auto-saves. I couldn't find an obvious way to do it.
Keep up the good work.
About the bug: How did that happen? And when? What did you do?

Yes, it's ammo. But you have infinite ammo, so it's mere scenery.

About saving: Your level and XP is saved, as well as your settings. All levels are available to begin with. You cannot save mid-level, but levels are completed in a matter of minutes so I doubt you'd need to.

Should I take this as all problems have been solved or answered for? Then I can move on and make the next three levels.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 15th '09, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:About the bug: How did that happen? And when? What did you do?

Yes, it's ammo. But you have infinite ammo, so it's mere scenery.

About saving: Your level and XP is saved, as well as your settings. All levels are available to begin with. You cannot save mid-level, but levels are completed in a matter of minutes so I doubt you'd need to.

Should I take this as all problems have been solved or answered for? Then I can move on and make the next three levels.
Actually I have some issues when trying to adjust the brightness level - the first map is not brighter at all, and when I start a new one without quitting the game first it just gets brighter and brighter from level to level until it's so bright that it almost hurts my eyes. :C

I suppose this is a bug, no?
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Mar 15th '09, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

My screen looks like uki's, again. If I try to adjust the equipment I can't see what's what.

Also, on the first run I had that 1/0 total cost error again.

But the ESC key works :)
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:About the bug: How did that happen? And when? What did you do?
I did the same I was doing before. I clicked the top button, and then I clicked 'Acknowledged', and got that. But I was still able to click 'Credits Left' and start the game.
L'howon
Vidmaster

I also get that bug Uki got, with the main menu not dissapearing when you select a level and hit acknowledge. Also, I'd like to mention that even though I'm level 22, I'm still limited to only 10 points to spend. Is that a glitch, or intentional?

Also, I intend to make a walkthrough for the God of Dread level. Some people I've talked to have a lot of trouble figuring out what to do. Hopefully I can do that today, or tomorrow.
Last edited by L'howon on Mar 15th '09, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Nitocris
Cyborg

Seems I can't fix something without breaking something else. The bug was on God of Dread only, right? I had deactivated the camera there for unknown reasons, and the result was pretty much the same as an untextured line in forge.

Every level has a maximum number of credits that may be used before you fail the mission. As you will start playing as more... expensive classes, this number will go up. A Marine will be costly if you want ammo hud and radars and what not.

Honestly, I can't see how it's that hard if you've ever played Marathon. Most levels have even harder puzzles. This one isn't even a puzzle! You get into the generator room by taking the lit teleporter and hit the switches. Then you shut down the force field from the security checkpoint room (and activate the other one if you wanna keep those wasps off of you), and flick the switch next to the final door to power it up.
Should I make even simpler puzzles henceforth?

I have changed so that Reset XP turns you to Lvl 1, not zero. So if you're level 0, hit that button for a free boost.

About gamma: The problem was that each time you went to the main menu, a new settings object was created, each one adding to the gamma.
It has been corrected. Also, I noticed that the mouse cursor was invisible if you hit esc. That is fixed...
Now.
If things are still to dark for you at maximum brightness, then I can increase the maximum brightness that can be obtained. For me, however, it starts to look too bright for the atmosphere. The first levels of Marathon were very dark.
Slow day.
Iritscen
Cyborg

I just tried Freedom for the first time -- version 0.35. I wrote my initial responses as a review on S7 rather than replying here just because your Mac download looked lonely with no reviews/ratings :-)

Anyway, I won't repeat here what I said there, but in response to your question about whether the first level's puzzle is too hard: there are other factors to the difficulty of a puzzle besides the level of abstract thought required. For instance, the first door-opening switch in a game often opens a door right in front of you. Voilà, cause and effect! Later in such a game, when you encounter similar switches, you know what they are. It's important to establish what the puzzle pieces look like before making someone solve a puzzle.

Another factor in the difficulty of a puzzle in a game with an element of exploration is flow. Puzzles work best when each overcome obstacle leads to the next in a linear fashion. It's often a bad idea to place the final obstacle at the very start of a level unless you can somehow make it clear that it is an obstacle you will have to overcome; otherwise the player overlooks it after the first few minutes and forgets about it. For instance, there are many doors in level 1 that do not open. This is not unusual in a game, and I merely assume that they are there to show that the actual area is larger than what you need to explore. Unfortunately I also assumed the same about the force fields because I didn't realize that they were controlled with switches, at least in some cases. Simply showing a field get turned off at the start of the game, or stating this possibility through exposition, or a help section off the Main Menu, can tell the player what they should be trying to do when they see such fields.

Hopefully my rambling post makes enough sense. Anyway, I really like what is taking shape with this project!
L'howon
Vidmaster

After some exploring, I found where I needed to go. I thought it was easy, but others said to the contrary. It's just easy to miss some of the later switches hiding in the corners.

I also found another bug, I'll screencap it if I can repeat it. I was playing the Pfhor level, I beat it, and then went to the Splash Page. The splash page went black, and only displayed the quotes, and illuminated parts of the screen when flashes went off. When I went to go play God of Dread, everything was black except for places with lights (I.E. The room with the Terminal, and the Back Hall with the octagonal pillars and a couple broken lights.
Nitocris
Cyborg

Lh wrote:I also found another bug, I'll screencap it if I can repeat it. I was playing the Pfhor level, I beat it, and then went to the Splash Page. The splash page went black, and only displayed the quotes, and illuminated parts of the screen when flashes went off. When I went to go play God of Dread, everything was black except for places with lights (I.E. The room with the Terminal, and the Back Hall with the octagonal pillars and a couple broken lights.
I wonder if this has to do with the gamma setting? Did you touch it? As the current release has faulty gamma settings, it will be getting incrementally darker or brighter every time you visit the main screen. That is correct in the version that will be released in a couple of hours. .35.

@Iritscen: I read your review. The radar is made and will be available at least to the Marine class in the next release. I have no problem giving it to the BoBs as well. After all, they are technicians and scientists. Surely they could carry a small device that could aid them. Yes, they'll get it too.

I haven't planned on including strafing. It would make dodging slower projectiles too easy.
I understand what you are saying. I guess I just assumed too much that people would immediately recognize switches and terminals from Marathon. To my knowledge, no one has ever used the 3x shield recharge on Prodigal Sons.
Slow day.
L'howon
Vidmaster

I did I find the shield up in the cargo bay-esque area, but it runs out fairly quickly. Is this the shield recharge you mention?
Nitocris
Cyborg

Lh wrote:I did I find the shield up in the cargo bay-esque area, but it runs out fairly quickly. Is this the shield recharge you mention?
Yeah. The Defender has a shield that is so powerful that it cannot be fully restored even by a 3x recharger. Still, you can fill it up to about half. Good to know, if you're ever in a pinch. Future releases will probably not allow you to respawn so many times on that level.

.36 version available. I'm itching to get some more levels done. I've completed the Evil "assault rifle" and want to show it off. Does anyone remember what it was called? "MOW/something". The Aleph One version calls it a "MA-90E ASSAULT RIFLE/ GRENADE LAUNCHER", but that is not what it was originally called.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 16th '09, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:Yeah. The Defender has a shield that is so powerful that it cannot be fully restored even by a 3x recharger. Still, you can fill it up to about half. Good to know, if you're ever in a pinch. Future releases will probably not allow you to respawn so many times on that level.

.36 version available. I'm itching to get some more levels done. I've completed the Evil "assault rifle" and want to show it off. Does anyone remember what it was called? "MOW/something". The Aleph One version calls it a "MA-90E ASSAULT RIFLE/ GRENADE LAUNCHER", but that is not what it was originally called.
Cool, I'm downloading it now - well I'm trying to download it I should say.
I get around 4-5 kb/s atm and I'm NOT on a dialup connection...
Can you please host this on www.mediafire.com too ;) - the download speeds on Simplici7y are ridiculous...

PS: what about an icon now?
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Mar 16th '09, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Cool, I'm downloading it now - well I'm trying to download it I should say.
I get around 4-5 kb/s atm and I'm NOT on a dialup connection...
Can you please host this on www.mediafire.com too ;) - the download speeds on Simplici7y are ridiculous...
Do the aye's have it? I've was downloading .36 for over 4 hours. It got as low as 500 b/s before I canceled.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.