Winter 1- The Venom

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 28th '09, 03:59

I'm playing through this now. The textures and map design are so good you all deserve a complimentary fruit basket or something.
Major Pedro

Post Feb 28th '09, 05:57

The Flamethrower Hunters were hard enough already :) I'd like to see if anyone knows what shows I got the names for my first 2 levels from.

EDIT: Any comments about the fog? Too dense/Too sparse?
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Feb 28th '09, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 28th '09, 06:52

I'm stuck near the beginning of the second level. There are the two areas you can reach from the water. I've flipped the switch through the window in the first area, but all of the doors are still locked, and the second area seems to lead nowhere. Any hints?
Image Image

interion

Post Feb 28th '09, 08:48

In the screenshots above you can see that a small closet in the other place contains a switch that turns on the lights and opens the door leading to the switch you flicked through the window. After you've done that though, the big place filled with water contains a door at the bottom, which will lead up to the main part of the level.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 28th '09, 11:32

Shadowbreaker wrote:EDIT: Any comments about the fog? Too dense/Too sparse?

The fog is barely noticeable so it is at least not too sparse.

JohannesG

Post Feb 28th '09, 13:14

I've been a little further in the scenario and it keeps getting better
I love the puzzles near the end of Seven time unlocked (even found a secret room [MTongue] )

Also found a few more bugs:
another bouncy hallway in seven time unlocked (see screenshot, when trying to go to the right alcove directly)
another terminal texture alignment issue in faktree
a very strange texture in faketree (this texture seems to have problems, i recall some strange placement for this terminal like texture in previous levels...)
Attachments
faktree_texture_strange.jpg
faktree_texture_strange.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
faktree_texture_align.jpg
faktree_texture_align.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Seven_time_unlocked_bouncy_hall.png
Seven_time_unlocked_bouncy_hall.png (16.98 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Feb 28th '09, 22:39

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'd like to see if anyone knows what shows I got the names for my first 2 levels from.

Just a wild guess: top gear?

@goran: was it the ceiling lamps?
Last edited by Drictelt on Feb 28th '09, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Feb 28th '09, 22:53

Do you mean that the alignment is bad? Or the contents of the terminals themselves? The Pfhor have supposedly taken over a lot of the complex with their advanced computer hacking powers, and Zenith has managed to intervene a bit. I could fix them just to be profoundly Pfhor at the complex and profoundly human on the ship though.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 1st '09, 03:09

The alignment...they appear to me to be cut off. Maybe that's intentional? [wink] The result of limited compatibility between Phfor technology and Zenith's?

edit: or should they be scrolling? Though, there's half a save terminal in the one I posted earlier.
Last edited by effigy on Mar 1st '09, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Mar 1st '09, 07:35

VladTepes wrote:...another terminal texture alignment issue in faktree
a very strange texture in faketree (this texture seems to have problems, i recall some strange placement for this terminal like texture in previous levels...)

Uh... I should really double-check with Shadowbreaker and see what's up. He said the texture job I did wasn't adequate, and redid it himself, but I can't shake the feeling that there might have been some issues with him viewing it in the high-res textures. I did the entire map in low-res, and I don't know how to get/use the high-res options, so I never knew if there was any bizarre swapping or something going on. A similar problem happened on last year's project where I used an old shapes file, and when viewed with the new one all the textures were wrong.

That one off-kilter texture used to be a switch that did a mighty important thing. I'm surprised he took it out. ;P
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 1st '09, 07:59

Well normally we try to make the high-res textures so that they fit wherever the lowres do. Previous year there were a few textures where that wasnt the case, but i think this year the high-res textures shouldnt cause any misalignments. I don't know what the whole texture deal was in your map though.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Mar 1st '09, 08:42

Oh, I think I remember the misalignemnt issue now (the first screenshot). The low-res texture I was using was mostly green on the top and red on the bottom. I didn't want it to look repetitive so I made a rather crude border between the two halves, one for the top of the texture and one for the bottom. In the update I'll just make the whole thing look Pfhorry on that level then. I didn't think anyone would notice that place anyway.

I'm still a bit unsure as to what the problem in the second screenshot is though... the terminal doesn't full texture properly because the ceiling didn't fit perfectly in terms of world units, and the lights on the ceiling are supposed to be flourescent lights.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 1st '09, 11:21

@No drictelt, not the lamps.

1. Squarish detailed design
2. Multi path exploration puzzles

I think those two are the ones, but I don't know for sure. I pick it up from the feeling I get from the map.

goran

Post Mar 1st '09, 11:46

I like slave's map a lot!

Anyway, found some more bugs:
Kick The Can: line 2958 is untextured
Wishbone: line 393 has a jumping error
Wishbone: i suspect a typo in the terminal that teleports you out: Prior to me reading THE those terminals
Seven Times Unlocked: right behind the door at the start, there's a bulb of ammo containing a flamethrower. I'm not sure how it got there. Maybe I placed it there for testing. Anyway, it shouldnt be there.

@shadow: are we supposed to fix our bugs all of our own and send you the fixed maps later or will you take care of all this stuff?

Drictelt

Post Mar 1st '09, 20:36

Drictelt wrote:I like slave's map a lot!

Thanks! :D

Also, SB, if you want me to fix the errors in my map I'll need your version of the map, unless you're willing to edit the monsters again.

$lave

Post Mar 2nd '09, 13:04

I still wonder if the texture that shows in the second screenshot of my second post is intentional.

Most of the time when I ran into that texture in previous levels, it was with a strange alignment and it was an extremely strange place for a computer terminal... I was wondering if it wasn't just a typo error in the mml.

I didn't try to put the scenario in low def to be sure
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Mar 2nd '09, 14:53

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'm still a bit unsure as to what the problem in the second screenshot is though... the terminal doesn't full texture properly because the ceiling didn't fit perfectly in terms of world units, and the lights on the ceiling are supposed to be flourescent lights.

I was wondering, for the screen shot I posted with the Buffer Pattern in the terminal, could you lower the ceiling just at that spot? Maybe you could do the same in for Vlad's 2nd post (maybe the dropped ceiling would make a good light @ this one)?

I do like the mixing of terminal styles, partly do to your logic of it. Would it even possible to have a scrolling terminal that functions? That would eliminate the detectability of the poor alignments, too. Seems like I've seen that elsewhere.

effigy

Post Mar 2nd '09, 15:20

Finally got it to work. Looks very good.

ukimalefu

Post Mar 2nd '09, 17:50

I checked it, it's not a typo in the mml.

Drictelt

Post Mar 2nd '09, 18:29

More screenies. I hope I'm not duplicating Drictelt's numeric entries.

Misalignment under terminal:
[attachment=2514:Screensh..._0004_cr.jpg]

Previously mentioned barrels:
[attachment=2515:Screensh...barrels_.jpg]

Typo:
[attachment=2516:Screensh...07_typo_.jpg]

Unpainted textures:
[attachment=2517:Screensh...006_0007.JPG]

Misaligned terminal:
[attachment=2518:Screensh...008_0009.JPG]

Ambient sound issues:
[attachment=2519:Screensh..._issues_.jpg]

I've noticed a few spots in "Kick the Can" where Pfhor basically stand in wait of a grenade. Could this be a result of playing on Normal difficulty? Sorry for wussing out...thought it might speed my return to Eternal (which, ironically has the same issue). Anyhoo, I forgot to do a screen dump of the map, but here are some of the in game veiw:
[attachment=2520:Screensh...dummies_.jpg]
[attachment=2521:Screensh...dummies_.jpg]
[attachment=2522:Screensh...dummies_.jpg]
Attachments
Screenshot_0014_dummies_.jpg
Screenshot_0014_dummies_.jpg (89.15 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0009_dummies_.jpg
Screenshot_0009_dummies_.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0008_dummies_.jpg
Screenshot_0008_dummies_.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Screenshot_0010_sound_issues_.jpg
Screenshot_0010_sound_issues_.jpg (111.6 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0008_0009.JPG
Screenshot_0008_0009.JPG (493.12 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0006_0007.JPG
Screenshot_0006_0007.JPG (827.71 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Screenshot_0007_typo_.jpg
Screenshot_0007_typo_.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0005_barrels_.jpg
Screenshot_0005_barrels_.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Screenshot_0003_0004_cr.jpg
Screenshot_0003_0004_cr.jpg (142.76 KiB) Viewed 3765 times

effigy

Post Mar 2nd '09, 18:37

I've noticed a few spots in "Kick the Can" where Pfhor basically stand in wait of a grenade. Could this be a result of playing on Normal difficulty?

No, I've noticed this on TC too. It's likely from there being several places where the monsters are set to be blind and deaf without having a monster trigger placed before they come into view. There are a few spots where you can actually just ignore these monsters as they are never activated, as well as a few where they are only activated if you try to run past them.

That said, it might be an error on the part of the map maker, or it could be intentional.

$lave

Post Mar 2nd '09, 18:58

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'm still a bit unsure as to what the problem in the second screenshot is though... the terminal doesn't full texture properly because the ceiling didn't fit perfectly in terms of world units, and the lights on the ceiling are supposed to be flourescent lights.

I'm wondering how he got a screenshot so close to the ceiling. Unless you changed it, that ceiling was supposed to be, like, five or 7 WU above anywhere the player should get in that room. 'Course, my version of the map had that room dark, and didn't put a terminal-like texture on that structure.

If you go through an update, Shadowbreaker, could I request you use the original version of my map, with its old textures, lighting and monster layout in design with the 'security strips' that the player had to bypass? I honestly think that worked a little better than having a juggernaut spawn only seconds after the starting point, nearly forcing the player to kill it before you can check the terminal or use the pattern buffer.

EDIT: Wait a tic, this scenario had pictures in its terminals? How did you people get it to work? Did I miss something when setting it up?
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Mar 2nd '09, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 2nd '09, 20:15

Another bug:
the unfinished page of the last terminal in my map seems copied form a previous level. At least the picture is.

@axle: I dont think I understand that question behind the EDIT, but adding terminal pics has got nothing to do with the mapping work. I assume shadow did it using resedit and hex (or perhaps Atque or Aorta or so can do this too.)
btw, that second level of yours was awesomely chaotic. I liked it a lot.

Drictelt

Post Mar 2nd '09, 23:06

Having just finished Venom, I must say, it was a joy to play. I loved the rambling architecture, and curios about the maps. The story also intrigued me, in a good way. I liked the idea of exploring the Vylae ruins, since it's a race not touched upon much that could use some attention. A few gripes would be: Use of the "new" enemies... They seemed somewhat gimmicky, and misplaced. The troopers I can understand, because there needs to be some sort of challenge to acquiring various items, but the others seemed just out of place, with the exception of the Major Flick'ta. I liked the use of water puzzles, even though I'm not a great fan of them. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10. I noticed some of the issues brought up by others, and that detracts somewhat. The overuse of gimmicky super units, while challenging, was somewhat anticlimactic. It needs a little touching up, and I disagree with some parts, but I look forward the the continued stories of Zenith.

The pirate twist was a nice touch too.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 3rd '09, 08:22

Wow, my level was really buggy :P

I think you're right about the shotgun enforcers, actually. I didn't want to remove them because they've been a tradition from Xmas 1... but I liked the other monsters. I'll make them shoot something else.

@Axle_Gear, I really didn't understand the caution lights very much... perhaps we could talk about this over AIM instead...

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Projects