Winter 1- The Venom

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Mar 3rd '09, 08:47

Drictelt wrote:@axle: I dont think I understand that question behind the EDIT, but adding terminal pics has got nothing to do with the mapping work. I assume shadow did it using resedit and hex (or perhaps Atque or Aorta or so can do this too.)
btw, that second level of yours was awesomely chaotic. I liked it a lot.

What I meant is that when I played the game, I saw nothing but 'Picture missing!' where all the pictures should have been. I just assumed that they weren't ready yet and were going to be included in an update. But thanks for your comment on my level. ^^

@Shadowbreaker: Basically, I used the yellow lights to mark off where the player would have to step to activate a bunch of monsters. I can try to give you a more in-depth explaination, but it might have to be in PM's. I'm kind of away from civilization for the week, and am working on my laptop, which doesn't have AIM.
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 3rd '09, 15:07

I finished the scenario yesterday. I liked the end but I didn't understand easily what I was supposed to do :
One of the two switches is activated and the other disactivated when you enter the final core room, I didn't get the elevator and turned around in the room activating and disactivating the switches not knowing where to go nor which switch was in which state. I just ended using a rocket to jump into the core [MTongue]

I also found an ugly untextured side in the last level near the elevator puzzle:
[attachment=2525:Airport_...textured.jpg]

(Btw, I didn't get how this puzzle was supposed to work... I just pressed the switch until i get a near perfect situation and ended with a small grenade jump. I think the whole puzzle can be easily avoided with rocket jumping, maybe you could add a platform configuration test with liquids and monsters (like in the good old missed island) or better, a lua script, to lock/unlock the door if platform configuration is good)
Attachments
Airport_Extrem_untextured.jpg
Airport_Extrem_untextured.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Mar 3rd '09, 18:11

Two typos in the first terminal of Airport extreme:
"...which is lead to by..."
"after you are done with the middle level, you should be lead back here"
I'm pretty sure both should be "led"
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Mar 7th '09, 21:04

I just finished it (yes I'm a slow player). Airport extreme is probably the coolest map I've ever played.

One last bug though:
The middle level (where you deactivate the barriers) starts with a curved hallway. In the wall of that hallway, there are scenery alcolves. I managed to fall into one. I suggest making the floor height just as high as the rest of the place.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Mar 7th '09, 21:49

I did make those lines solid... but for some reason it only makes them solid from one side without a texture, and I didn't want to plague them with big thick bars... I'll put the thin bars on.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 8th '09, 07:35

When you make a line solid without putting a window texture in it, it only works from the poly with the lower floor/heigher ceiling to the other ones. Eg. you can prevent people to walk into a window that way, but you cant prevent them to walk out of it.

Drictelt

Post Mar 8th '09, 17:00

I haven't completed it, but I must say that i love the architecture and the textures and the right amount of fog where it is used.

ukimalefu

Post Mar 8th '09, 20:29

Ok, this looks weird (sorry if it has been posted before)

Last edited by ukimalefu on Mar 8th '09, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

ukimalefu

Post Mar 9th '09, 19:12

It has been posted before.
Last edited by Drictelt on Mar 9th '09, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Drictelt

Post Mar 10th '09, 23:41

Finished it.

Loved it [MUp]

ukimalefu

Post Mar 15th '09, 01:59

Thank you, gentlemen.

I had fun navigating threw all levels. I thought the textures were cool (especially the lights), and the story was ok.

So, here are a couple of quasi helpful criticisms:

> Too often I ran into what I lovingly refer to as "dummies." That would be unaware monsters within grenade range. Some rooms had several monsters that could be picked off one by one (see screen shots below for a few examples, I failed to get shots of the map so I hope the artist recognizes his work). In most if not all cases passing through a doorway was needed to get all monster's attention.

> I noticed some sounds would break up moving across rooms enough to be annoying. Sorry I failed to get map screen shots for these, but as I recall it was usually a generator sound. I suppose some of it may have been intentional. Like near the core in Airport Extreme there's an area where you follow a curved wall with textures that alternate between light and wall textures. There is sound at the light textures but not the wall. It makes sense, but it was too much start and stop for me.

When the going gets tough the tough get going right? I died in this teleporter trying to escape a hard kill. I found myself infinitely teleporting:
[attachment=2541:wacked_o...hot_0021.jpg]

Various mis aligned terminals:
[attachment=2542:terms.jpg]

This hunter was so strong he could shoot and walk through this wall:
[attachment=2543:super_hunter.JPG]

But he was such a big dummy that if I entered the other side of the room I could walk up to him before he took notice of me:
[attachment=2546:big_dumm...hot_0008.jpg]

I think I noticed one of my sound complaints here:
[attachment=2544:sound_ma...hot_0009.jpg]

Poor little drone, infinitely dying. On one saved game I shot him out, and then couldn't kill him. Another, I finished him off with a rocket.
[attachment=2545:drone_Sc...hot_0010.jpg]

Now for some dummies:
[attachment=2547:DUMMY_f_...hot_0007.jpg]
[attachment=2548:dummy_c_...hot_0000.jpg]
[attachment=2549:dummy_b.jpg]
[attachment=2550:dummy_a.jpg]
[attachment=2551:dummies_d.jpg]

Drictelt Posted Mar 3 2009 wrote:Two typos in the first terminal of Airport extreme:
"...which is lead to by..."
"after you are done with the middle level, you should be lead back here"
I'm pretty sure both should be "led"

I think "...which is lead to by..." is correct.

The other lift [post="61303"]here[/post] is also unpainted.

I noticed some oddness with the "lift step" puzzle, also. I just hit a switch randomly, and viola.

And also [spoiler]getting the elevator to work[/spoiler] in the core room, [spoiler]I activated one, then deactivated/activated the other and usually that worked. I was suspecting the troopers were grenading them for me.[/spoiler]
Attachments
dummies_d.jpg
dummies_d.jpg (199.44 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
dummy_a.jpg
dummy_a.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
dummy_b.jpg
dummy_b.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
dummy_c_Screenshot_0000.jpg
dummy_c_Screenshot_0000.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
DUMMY_f_Screenshot_0007.jpg
DUMMY_f_Screenshot_0007.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
big_dummy_Screenshot_0008.jpg
big_dummy_Screenshot_0008.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
drone_Screenshot_0010.jpg
drone_Screenshot_0010.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
sound_maybe_Screenshot_0009.jpg
sound_maybe_Screenshot_0009.jpg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
super_hunter.JPG
super_hunter.JPG (163.21 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
terms.jpg
terms.jpg (500.27 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
wacked_out_teleporter_Screenshot_0021.jpg
wacked_out_teleporter_Screenshot_0021.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Mar 15th '09, 04:03

For some reason I didn't trust letting monsters be able to detect you, if they can see you...

Sometimes having mosnters be able to see you has proven to be unresponsive... but I guess that's kinda dumb now that I look at it...

As for the final trooper room, I did notice that switch error eventually... I ultimately had to remake both switches and the platofrms in Pfhorge, since that place exceeds 1024 polygons. That should be fixable with VML. Infact, I was hoping to have the core and the 4 doorways connected, since they are infact at the same elevations... but some extremely odd "unindexed point" error preveneted me from making a polygon connecting the two parts in Pfhorge.

Also, has anyone found the trooper's SECRET weakness?

EDIT: Where did all of your air go? :P
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Mar 15th '09, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 15th '09, 04:50

Shadowbreaker wrote:Also, has anyone found the trooper's SECRET weakness?

I found the opposite was [spoiler]fire[/spoiler]. Curse you.
EDIT: Where did all of your air go? :P

Nothing to see here...

effigy

Post Mar 15th '09, 07:59

effigy wrote:And also [spoiler]getting the elevator to work[/spoiler] in the core room, [spoiler]I activated one, then deactivated/activated the other and usually that worked. I was suspecting the troopers were grenading them for me.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I just grenade hopped myself over the barrister :)[/spoiler]

Drictelt

Post Mar 15th '09, 13:44

:P

effigy

Post Mar 15th '09, 15:12

I am stuck on Goo Lagoon... I opened up the underwater hallway in the initial body of water, which leads to an elevator... which doesn't move. What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: It would be really nice if you had Winter operate off its own set of prefs like other scenarios.

Iritscen

Post Mar 15th '09, 17:09

Yeah, I found Drictelt's method also. I couldn't figure out what I needed to do with the platforms, so I just deactivated the activated switch, activated the other, and and proceeded to do the necessary things to flood the area. Needs to be reworked though definitely. With all the troopers shooting at you, and the Juggernaught shooting at you, it can get confusing.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 15th '09, 18:35

Drictelt wrote:[spoiler]I just grenade hopped myself over the barrister :)[/spoiler]

the same...
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Mar 16th '09, 07:06

Iritscen wrote:I am stuck on Goo Lagoon... I opened up the underwater hallway in the initial body of water, which leads to an elevator... which doesn't move. What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: It would be really nice if you had Winter operate off its own set of prefs like other scenarios.

I'm not sure what's wrong... try tabbing around?

I don't think the scenario should include its own preference file. The way I had originally planned for this to work was just to play it out of your Infinity folder, which if it imposed another preference file might be an inconvenience. However, an update has yet to be released, so perhaps I'll put in a little extra script if you are going to make the scenario have it's own folder... last year there were no complaints about this, and the scenario was pretty much released with the exact same pieces.

------

As for the core room, I think all I'll do is fix the annoying tag switch, and possibly tune the troopers down a bit more. If you'll notice, they are immune to the Juggernaut's fireballs, only have about 90 hit points each, and don't fire at each other at low health. I had always wanted to make a final challenge room like that ;)

The tag switch is supposed to activate 2 platforms at the south of the room, one of which will give you easy access to the atrium, the other will automatically lift you up and down... that elevator was mainly just so you can get back up if you are willing to risk going back and getting the switch that will expose the circuit.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 16th '09, 15:14

Iritscen wrote:...

I think it'd feel awkward with out it's own menu screen. My [post="61156"]complaint[/post] here was needing the Infinity map file copied over, in addition to sounds and such. Seems unnecessary, but maybe I'm missing something?

Shadowbreaker wrote:...
As for the core room, I think all I'll do is fix the annoying tag switch, and possibly tune the troopers down a bit more. If you'll notice, they are immune to the Juggernaut's fireballs, only have about 90 hit points each, and don't fire at each other at low health. I had always wanted to make a final challenge room like that ;)

I think all you need to do is [spoiler]tone down the troopers[/spoiler]. If it weren't for me playing on Normal difficulty I don't think I could have beat it properly. Eventually, I figured out that [spoiler]the troopers were infinitely respawning and getting in my way of the switches, so I stopped shooting and started dodging. Made it to the water valve and dodged some more until it filled.[/spoiler]

The tag switch is supposed to activate 2 platforms at the south of the room, one of which will give you easy access to the atrium, the other will automatically lift you up and down... that elevator was mainly just so you can get back up if you are willing to risk going back and getting the switch that will expose the circuit.

Circuit? This is somethings besides the switch in the inner core?

effigy

Post Mar 17th '09, 17:12

Ok, after seeing the most recent texture glitches in Faktree, I need Shadowbreaker to show me a few screenshots of my original map to make sure that I wasn't using an outdated shapes files, or that the high-res textures didn't cause some discrepency. There is NO way my texture job was worse than that some of the things I'm seeing.
Axle_Gear

Post Mar 17th '09, 17:43

Shadowbreaker wrote:I don't think the scenario should include its own preference file. The way I had originally planned for this to work was just to play it out of your Infinity folder, which if it imposed another preference file might be an inconvenience.

If you install this in your Infinity folder, it will cause net games with Infinity to go out of sync. That's not worse than an "inconvenience!?"

last year there were no complaints about this, and the scenario was pretty much released with the exact same pieces.

Last year's project was never released.

Edit: here's my Winter Additions.mml
Code: Select all
<marathon>
<stringset index="129"><!-- filenames -->
<string index="0">Winter Shapes</string>
<string index="2">Sounds.sndA</string>
<string index="4">Winter I Preferences</string>
<string index="5">Winter I - The Venom.sceA</string>
<string index="11">Images.imgA</string>
</stringset>
</marathon>
Last edited by treellama on Mar 17th '09, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 18th '09, 05:26

Ok, I think I know what needs to be done now. I didn't really consider co-op because I believed that people wouldn't suddenly host it out of the blue and not think it would have any effects on other people, nor would they try playing with infinity without removing the script first... oh well, I'll use your script then.

I'm gonna be really busy over the next few days, so I'd be grateful if someone might demerge the map file and fix a few of the problems for me (you'll probably need to use Atque)

I'm also aware that Xmas 3 never was officially released, but people did play it without those sorts of complaints... someone aughta formally release it now...

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 18th '09, 10:01

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'm also aware that Xmas 3 never was officially released, but people did play it without those sorts of complaints... someone aughta formally release itnow...

Yes! I've been wanting to play it for a year. Please release that thing....anyone.

goran

Post Mar 21st '09, 11:37

WINTER I - The Venom
Level I - Flushed

Mapmaker: Axle_Gear (Kevin M.)

I start in a room where I can hardly move. Before I get annoyed, I'm lowered down and flushed away
in a slime system. During the brief seconds I'm transported, I'm going past maybe the most beautiful
view in the level. Out of the windows, the shadows of a mighty spacestation is contrasted against a
large planet. The greenish slime hue makes it even better. Nice work!

It's pretty tough when I finally land in a pool of slime.

With only 25% shield and my fists, I must outsmart a gang of fighters before I get to the first terminal
and shield recharger. I actually missed the terminal and recharger the first time through. Especially the
terminal, is pretty hard to see.

The terminal has a jolly roger logo. Mmm pirates. My favourite ally. We've stolen a pfhor scout
ship and are currently heading towards the big planet I can see through the windows. The ship
is pretty much ours, but we have yet to take the bridge. I get it. We fix the ship, then we go
treasure hunting on the planet [MLaugh]

The magnificiant open view can be seen once again. I still like it.

After a small journey through some ventilation shafts and slime containers, I'm in the area I saw at
the beginning of the level. Finally...a pistol.

There's another terminal nearby. It's pretty dull. I excuse him for repeating the mission since he
left some nice toys at the ground. Shotguns! :D

Soon there after, I sneak upon a trooper with my newfound weapons.

Satisfaction is increasing. He expects nothing. Yes! He gets owned by my shotgun in his back. My
superior tactics and weapons crushed him like the little frog he is. Too bad for me, an enforcer in
the background observed me and learned my move. I hear the shotgun in my back and man...
I know it's over. Damn him for having a shotgun.

I return to the scene, cautious about where that enforcer might be. He's standing at a window with
his back against me. Fucking yes! :D I splatter him with my shotgun in his back. Satisfaction is 200%
for succesful revenge. The trooper hears me. Like a hero I make a 90 degreee swing and plant my
next shotgunshell in his face. Bridge is secured! Mission accomplished.

The first level ends here. Yes a short first level, but what a level it was. The pirate AI tells me
we're going down to the planet to swim and kick ass. No objections here. mr AI, Teleport me
right away.

To sum it up:
  • Great views.
  • challenging start, but not too hard.
  • first terminal is hard to see
  • a shotgun bitch on the bridge.
  • Fun gameplay.
Last edited by goran on Mar 21st '09, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

goran

PreviousNext

Return to Projects