Mr. Project DX

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Mar 24th '09, 20:16

WUT!?

You're not making any sense.

::tries to use his brain::

Ok, got it. BOOM! ouch!

So, I figured it out. But next time, step by step instructions please.

ukimalefu

Post Mar 24th '09, 23:08

Wow, Very impressed by the vending machine. Works fine for me. Tried to see how many gernades I could get out there at once, but my finger got tired of pressing tab. Message from the sides was a nice touch, but couldn't come up from behind. :D

I could see this as a cool trap mechanism where you could activate a raindown of gernades onto unsuspecting people in multiplayer, or just in singleplayer against the Pfhor.

I usually put Lua under Prefs, then my name. They seem to show up correctly there, which I then select them in the game's preferences under solo scripts
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 25th '09, 03:32

ukimalefu wrote:WUT!?

You're not making any sense.

::tries to use his brain::

Ok, got it. BOOM! ouch!
So, I figured it out. But next time, step by step instructions please.

Sorry, but I was running under the assumption that the end user is familiar with using Lua scripts.

Glad you got it to work, though.
Kurinn

Post Mar 25th '09, 03:54

Texture Preview 1

I've assembled a preview of my first batch of textures, and hosted them off my own website.

Texture Preview 1

[attachment=2575:20.jpg] [attachment=2576:23.jpg] [attachment=2577:19.jpg]

[attachment=2578:10.jpg] [attachment=2580:06.jpg]

Now, I don't see these as a final product, and some of them I am quite sure will be tossed, but this is the starting point. From here, I intend to expand and refine as I go.

If you are interested in working on textures for Mr. Project DX, and want me to give you some high res PNGs, or even the Photoshop files with layers (where available), drop me a PM, and we'll see what we can work out.
Kurinn

Post Mar 25th '09, 04:48

The reign of chaos has ended. I'll see if I can help you...

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 25th '09, 13:27

I really like what you're doing with textures! Judging from the Winter Project I'm sure Shadowbreaker could add to the awesomeness.

This one is by far my favorite:

Followed by:

^I'm just not sure if it's water, ice or something in between. Really, it looks to me like water flowing over ice, like a stream during spring thaw.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Mar 25th '09, 14:23

I believe that was his marble texture for counter tops, Effigy.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 25th '09, 14:52

Lh wrote:I believe that was his marble texture for counter tops, Effigy.

I believe this is his marble:

The water looks more like water to me used in game [post=60471]here[/post]. Maybe there's some funny business with the file format / lack of transparency? Anyone familiar with obscured glass panels? I think it would make a nice texture for that as posted above (img19).

effigy

Post Mar 25th '09, 15:29

effigy wrote:I believe this is his marble:

The water looks more like water to me used in game [post=60471]here[/post]. Maybe there's some funny business with the file format / lack of transparency? Anyone familiar with obscured glass panels? I think it would make a nice texture for that as posted above (img19).

Yeah, you've got it right, the one you posted is marble, and the previous one is water. The water is transparent, but I am having an interesting time with Aorta when it comes to exactly how it is transparent. More on that at another time though. Who wants high res water?
Kurinn

Post Mar 25th '09, 15:58

Kurinn wrote:Yeah, you've got it right, the one you posted is marble...

That one's pretty unmistakable, nice job.

Kurinn wrote:...
Who wants high res water?

MeMeMeMe!

MARATHONHD [MSmile]

effigy

Post Mar 25th '09, 16:12

effigy wrote:That one's pretty unmistakable, nice job.
MeMeMeMe!

MARATHONHD [MSmile]

Well sport, I sure hope you wire-brushed the carbon off your HDMI ports today, because here you go!

High Resolution Water GET!

I got a Fileball account, so I will be uploading all kinds of high quality crap there from now on.

Enjoy the water, and tell me what you think.
Kurinn

Post Mar 25th '09, 16:52

As opposed to that LOW quality crap. Don't want any of that stuff around.

Looks very nice Kurinn. I don't have HD on my Macbook, but very nice all the same.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Mar 25th '09, 18:22

Behold! The moisture:
[attachment=2585:Screensh...educed_2.jpg]
[attachment=2588:Screensh...educed_2.jpg]

Still not sure about it without transparency (still nice):
[attachment=2586:Screensh...educed_2.jpg]

Works well as a landscape:
[attachment=2587:Screensh...educed_2.jpg]

edit: Hmm...I guess I left the resize box checked.
Attachments
Screenshot_0019_reduced_2.jpg
Screenshot_0019_reduced_2.jpg (523.4 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
Screenshot_0018_reduced_2.jpg
Screenshot_0018_reduced_2.jpg (387.26 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Screenshot_0017_reduced_2.jpg
Screenshot_0017_reduced_2.jpg (541.81 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Screenshot_0016_reduced_2.jpg
Screenshot_0016_reduced_2.jpg (571.27 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Last edited by effigy on Mar 25th '09, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

effigy

Post Mar 26th '09, 01:04

effigy wrote:Behold! The moisture:

Beautiful screenshots. Would you mind if I used some of them on the Fileball description?

The landscape idea interests me... I wonder if Goran has any thoughts to commissioning a High Res workup of the textures from that submarine xmas mapset... well, anyway that's for another thread altogether. Still working on stuff for the project, just a bit slow because of obligations through the rest of this week.
Last edited by Kurinn on Mar 26th '09, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn

Post Mar 26th '09, 01:19

Kurinn wrote:Beautiful screenshots. Would you mind if I used some of them on the Fileball description?

The second screenshot is from a map I made (Telephone Line), and I have no problem with you using it.

$lave

Post Mar 26th '09, 02:43

Kurinn wrote:Beautiful screenshots. Would you mind if I used some of them on the Fileball description?

That's cool with me. The other shots are from Treellama's Arcadia.

$lave wrote:The second screenshot is from a map I made (Telephone Line), and I have no problem with you using it.

It was pretty mezmerizing to watch each side fall at different speeds...or maybe each side has a different texture alignment?

effigy

Post Mar 26th '09, 02:58

Treellama wrote:Oh, ok.

Re-reading, are you trying to match object indexes with terminal indexes? You can set the latter when you generate a terminal script, but you have no control over the former. So, I don't know how you would line those up.

This is digging up some old issues, but has anyone else tried playing with activate_terminal in Lua?

I gave the scenery a decent height and radius, got it to make a ping sound when I action-key at it, but even when I code a specific existing terminal index into activate_terminal, it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing it wrong?
Kurinn

Post Mar 26th '09, 03:05

OH, I tried out the vending machine of doom. Thanks for the in game reminder on how operate it. heh.

I noticed if you face the side of the VMD that faces the terminal, put yourself against the wall the VMD is on, then rotate slightly towards the wall you can get a back side view of the grenade bouncing to completion (nice contrail, btw)? Is that weird?

I'm Marginally Enjoyn' It!

effigy

Post Mar 26th '09, 03:13

effigy wrote:OH, I tried out the vending machine of doom. Thanks for the in game reminder on how operate it. heh.

I noticed if you face the side of the VMD that faces the terminal, put yourself against the wall the VMD is on, then rotate slightly towards the wall you can get a back side view of the grenade bouncing to completion (nice contrail, btw)? Is that weird?

Do you think it's weird? If so, then fix it and tell me how you fixed it.
Kurinn

Post Mar 26th '09, 06:01

I've sent you all of the concretey textures I made yesterday... I hope you like them :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 26th '09, 07:27

Kurinn wrote:This is digging up some old issues, but has anyone else tried playing with activate_terminal in Lua?

I gave the scenery a decent height and radius, got it to make a ping sound when I action-key at it, but even when I code a specific existing terminal index into activate_terminal, it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing it wrong?

Yes, we experimented with activate_terminal in EMR. I don't recall any problems with it, although we activated it in a different way: we checked for when the player entered a certain polygon and/or height.

I also experimented with animated water textures. The effect was too subtle to be worth the extra texture space for EMR, but it might be worth the effort if you want the best looking A1 water possible.

Crater Creator

Post Mar 26th '09, 08:42

Crater Creator wrote:
QUOTE(Crater Creator @ Mar 26 2009, 03:01 PM)
I've sent you all of the concretey textures I made yesterday... I hope you like them :P

They look freaking awesome, and will save me from my 2-d issues which I have been having. Now I don't have any qualms about making an expansive subway/sewer level either... I will plug them in and take them for a test drive with VML later today. Thanks!

Crater Creator wrote:Yes, we experimented with activate_terminal in EMR. I don't recall any problems with it, although we activated it in a different way: we checked for when the player entered a certain polygon and/or height.

I also experimented with animated water textures. The effect was too subtle to be worth the extra texture space for EMR, but it might be worth the effort if you want the best looking A1 water possible.

Hmmm... If I could see some code from that it might help me figure out what the hell I am doing wrong.

Animated water was something I thought of when I noticed how off the turbulent water looks if it isn't moving.
Then I thought about what kind of effects it might have on memory to have high-res animated water.
One thought was to make two different water medias, one standing, the other moving; Different textures.
Then I wished that the engine could render liquids.
Then I wished that pigs could be strapped to rockets, enabling prompt delivery of bacon to my apartment at the push of a button.

It could be done, but who would really go so far as to do it?

Either way, I am sure there is a good way to enhance the realism of the water. Lava isn't all that necessary, nor is the Jjaro goo, so we have some wiggle room with our medias. I was toying around with the notion of making a level which rips off Terminator 2's ending, but whatever. Water is more important. It is everywhere.
Kurinn

Post Mar 26th '09, 09:00

You know, the more I think about it, what I am really trying to make isn't a lot different from the basic structure of Pathways into Darkness.

I want to create a kind of pseudo RPG inside a FPS environment, but without addressing the meatier aspects of an RPG too intensively. Also, the layout of levels is not meant to be entirely linear.

I am thinking more along the lines of creating a collection of levels which are all located in proximity to eachother, and connected through various paths. One of the larger levels would be an underground, which connects a lot of places aboveground which cannot be accessed normally. The big thing would be that each "level" is not so much a level but an environment within which events may take place. Each area should be visited more than once, and viewed in a variety of perspectives.

One idea was for the Player to start out in an apartment building, in which access to the outside is somehow made impossible. This is mostly to provide a little leeway in regards to the geometry restrictions of the engine. Then, through traveling through a maintenance room, he gains access to a utilities trunk underground, and is able to ascend to the surface outside of the building. Use of different levels allows for an environment which apparently escapes the restrictions of the engine in regards to size, balconies, etc while still functioning under those restrictions. The trick isn't so much using clever trick geometry in level to fool the player, but to use different levels and logical restrictions in perspective in between to allow for a more believable environment.

Since we are talking about a contemporary setting, teleportation is kind of outside the basis of reality. Sure, there were teleporters in PiD, but they were not as integrated to the game as in Marathon. Luckily you can take out the teleportation effects with MMl.

As for inventory, I am confident there is a variety of solutions in Lua, as it is quite capable of handling data tables, and managing items in inventory and the environment. Two issues I have yet to figure out are interface (ie using overlays/texture pallette to make a good interface for the inventory) and saving. I read that the I/O capabilities of the interpreter have been neutered as a security issue. Data such as special tags and character data will need a place to go.
Kurinn

Post Mar 26th '09, 09:16

The landscape idea interests me... I wonder if Goran has any thoughts to commissioning a High Res workup of the textures from that submarine xmas mapset... well, anyway that's for another thread altogether. Still working on stuff for the project, just a bit slow because of obligations through the rest of this week.

I allow you to do what you want with the textures from the submarine set. It's not like I created them from scratch! Most of them are built on textures from old(dead?) games. I might have changed colors and combined different textures, but overall...very easy work.

goran

Post Mar 26th '09, 09:25

I once tried animated water... it looked really bad. Unless you've got like 15 frames for a smooth animation of it, it'll look pretty choppy.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Projects