HaloOne

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Apr 17th '09, 16:05

Is anyone interested in starting a remake of Halo1 in AlephOne with Marathon style graphics (Sprites)?
I've got a fair few things planned already;
Weapons be sprites that are centred on the screen like marathon
Every map remade for AlephOne including multiplayer maps
Halo textures on walls, etc
Ringworld backdrop on maps
Titlescreen image
^These are things I can do^
But the coding is a department I'm not yet familiar with
Is it possible to create a new HUD for AlephOne? One that is over the top of the screen rather than at the bottom?
Well if people are interested in this please just post below, even if you're interested but can't really help it would be nice to have some backing by users.

xilef

Post Apr 17th '09, 17:38

You mean like Halathon?

The answer to your HUD questions are sort of, and no.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 18th '09, 01:02

For what it's worth, I would like such a thing. I thought that halathon was kind of cool. I could maybe help with such a thing, in the graphics department. Don't expect me to be particularly useful, though.

QUOTE(Alan)
So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
DeepThought

Post Apr 18th '09, 17:44

I'd do it, but I have my own project to do. Good luck though. That would be a ton of fun!
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM UESCSUPERHUMAN***

Those of you who play Halo 3, you aren't that good at killing things.
I'm not impressed. Long Live Marathon, Halo 3 Fanboys!!!

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 18th '09, 19:52

I quite frankly don't see the point in a Halo port for Aleph one. After all, you probably wouldn't be able to incorporate all the weapons, you would be switching between levels constantly due to Aleph one's levels being significantly smaller, the lack of slanted surfaces, bridges, and balconies would make many parts of the levels difficult to make with the end results looking quite ugly (considering that about 75% of Halo's environments are outdoor). Besides, if you feel like playing Halo, why not just play Halo? Why play it on a less advanced engine?
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Apr 18th '09, 22:28

Marathoner325 wrote:I quite frankly don't see the point in a Halo port for Aleph one. After all, you probably wouldn't be able to incorporate all the weapons, you would be switching between levels constantly due to Aleph one's levels being significantly smaller, the lack of slanted surfaces, bridges, and balconies would make many parts of the levels difficult to make with the end results looking quite ugly (considering that about 75% of Halo's environments are outdoor). Besides, if you feel like playing Halo, why not just play Halo? Why play it on a less advanced engine?

*starts dancing to the choir*
Last edited by acks45 on Apr 18th '09, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
acks45
20 Minowere Dr. Fromidlov, Canada.

Post Apr 19th '09, 08:34

Treellama wrote:You mean like Halathon?

The answer to your HUD questions are sort of, and no.

Like Halathon but the single player campaign from Halo:CombatEvolved remade in alephone (Not a port as it won't retain original halo content)

It would be interesting, rather than as good as halo.
(Maps from Halo are small enough for alephone also, seriously the maps from halo are tiny,just the sky boxes and such give it more feeling of depth)

xilef

Post Apr 19th '09, 18:23

Halo for A1

Why?

BECAUSE YOU CAN!

I have Halo. I would play it for A1.

Or it could be an "alternate" Halo, made once and for all to be in the same universe as Marathon.

ukimalefu

Post Apr 22nd '09, 04:38

There truly is no point in this. The Aleph One engine does not support curved surfaces, room over room or most anything else halo makes use of, you want halo play halo. If you want halo to play more like marathon, mod halo. Hell, if you want to do something useful port marathon to halo. (Sprite based halo would be kind've cool though.)
On a side note, where can you get those fuel rod sprites? They'd make excellent s'pht bolts.
Meta

Post Apr 22nd '09, 12:26

Meta wrote:There truly is no point in this. The Aleph One engine does not support curved surfaces, room over room or most anything else halo makes use of, you want halo play halo. If you want halo to play more like marathon, mod halo. Hell, if you want to do something useful port marathon to halo. (Sprite based halo would be kind've cool though.)
On a side note, where can you get those fuel rod sprites? They'd make excellent s'pht bolts.

On an interesting note those fuel rod firing sprites look an awful lot like EMR's plasma pistol alt fire discharge.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Apr 22nd '09, 12:38

Lh wrote:On an interesting note those fuel rod firing sprites look an awful lot like EMR's plasma pistol alt fire discharge.

You could probably write whole pages describing the things EMR "borrowed" from other sources.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 22nd '09, 17:06

Halo for marathon, yes please! I like the Halo universe and I like the AlephOne engine, the combination must be awesome.
It would certainly be interesting to see how the architecture is solved in certain levels. Maybe some cool redesigns.

Personally, I'd love to map within halos environment. Maybe just me, maybe just me.

goran

Post Apr 25th '09, 21:47

Asylum wrote:Basically, you want to make a scenario that screams "Marathon is Halo! Halo fanboys, come rushing hither!"

Because thats what we need, more mentally and emotionally handicapped 12 year olds.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Apr 25th '09, 22:14

Don't make a Halo: CE recreation.
Halo unlike Doom recreations was made from an engine superior to AlephOne.
A Halo: CE recreation will inevitably be a lesser version of the original.

However, an alternate story would be a blast!
You have over a hundred Spartans to choose from who most definitely have they're own stories.

You could do that.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Apr 26th '09, 18:20

MoppyPuppy wrote:Don't make a Halo: CE recreation.
Halo unlike Doom recreations was made from an engine superior to AlephOne.
A Halo: CE recreation will inevitably be a lesser version of the original.

However, an alternate story would be a blast!
You have over a hundred Spartans to choose from who most definitely have they're own stories.

You could do that.

... And you need to stop an overwhelming force of persians at a tactically defensible piece of land. and when you finally fail due to betrayal from the inside you will send one man to run 42 kilometres back to the capital and have him warn the capital that they are to be atttacked from the sea in two days time.....
acks45

Post Apr 27th '09, 00:31

Asylum wrote:Not many Halo fans will play a modification for an old engine.

Based on what?

I play Halo and still play Marathon.
I think its DEFINITELY the other way around.

Not many Mac users will play a next-gen game with Marathon references in it for a NEW engine.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Apr 27th '09, 03:47

I'm about to propose a radical idea : how about Marathon running on the Halo engine? [1337]
Alan wrote:
QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM)
Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?

Bridget
Another World

Post Apr 27th '09, 07:01

Bridget wrote:I'm about to propose a radical idea : how about Marathon running on the Halo engine? [1337]

That's kinda what we're doing, except in source.

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 28th '09, 00:08

oh my god.....
people start reading threads.....

seriously....
acks45

Post Apr 28th '09, 00:09

Side note: the guy who made m:Source read those threads, why can't you.
acks45

Post Apr 28th '09, 00:22

Stop Calling Midvale X a remake.
calling it a remake ended long ago when you realised you didnt want to keep neither the layout nor the terminals of each level.
acks45

Post Apr 28th '09, 02:07

It is still undecided. MP is the Main Focus.

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post May 10th '09, 05:16

ack45 wrote:oh my god.....
people start reading threads.....

seriously....

Well, Ack, the quality of your collective work (you and the others involved) is undeniable in the project that thread #3 alludes to (and the more recent thread you did not include which is located in the same topic-area of discussion).

Our project, however, is being done by people with little or no experience with the software for the Source engine. Fortunately for me, that doesn't affect my ability to create new music, but Pedro and UESC will need time to sort out the graphics, etc. This project is taking a different creative approach, which is really what it comes down to. Sluggish progress should be expected, then, as with work using any newer and more sophisticated tools. Therefore, please acknowledge that whatever our project has been called so far is officially retracted. The fact is, we don't know, but there exists a common desire to create something new, and we're working on it. I think we'll know when the textures are successfully imported.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I am not particularly interested in seeing Halo being made for the A1 engine, and I could be wrong, but the corporate pricks at Microsoft might be just a tad touchy about copyright infringement.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post May 11th '09, 15:13

Bridget wrote:I'm about to propose a radical idea : how about Marathon running on the Halo engine? [1337]

I've always thought that would be an awesome idea.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested

infestedsmith
USA

Return to Projects