Marathon: syndicate status report 1

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 11th '09, 16:34

Hello everyone. Im here to let you see some of the progress of the syndicate
project. Since we have our own exclusive forum I've decided we'll give you
status reports every now and then.

The first month has been good. We've discussed some back story and a lot
of members have begun to plan concepts for levels. Some of us have begun
mapping. Here are some screenshots from the work in progress.

If I were to sum all maps together, I figure we have about 2.5 levels already. [MGrin]

goran

Post May 12th '09, 05:06

Oh man... I almost cried at the memories of all of my failed attempts at Rubicon scenarios. Good times :P

I wish I could help you, but right now my own project can see the light after all these years, and I don't want to ruin the moment. Maybe I'll chip in something a bit later.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 12th '09, 07:24

Try not to make the game stupid hard.

Challenging is fun.

And then there is stupid hard.

Like having to run through shallow lava with less than 1x shields, then having to clear that one polygon that leads out of it, which has hunters and troopers all over it.

Freakin' TGI.

Or maybe having a lava escape level. Only when your escaping, the path has places you can fall, which is cool. But then you place an enemy at each jump point, then have an explosion that turns your screen white while your trying to maneuver, then litter a choke point filled path with enforcers, then having to get to the escape chute, which rises too slow so you still get burned on the way up, then get ambushed on the surface which leaves you little or no health.

Luckily there is a recharger immediately the next level.
But you find yourself in a boarding pod with only one way to escape, through a squad of hunters and troopers, who just fill up the pod with a hail of gunfire.

Yeah, that's real fair...
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 12th '09, 07:32

FYI, there is no "lava" in Rubicon.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 12th '09, 11:12

Shadowbreaker wrote:FYI, there is no "lava" in Rubicon.

There is the toxic goo that flashes blindingly bright yellow flares on your screen though.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post May 12th '09, 16:16

Well, TGI, was designed to be a difficult scenario I think. Ryoko is a skillful player and he created something he would enjoy. We're a bunch of players, so the difficulty will most likely be average. I dunno, we'll see how it turns out.
Last edited by goran on May 12th '09, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post May 13th '09, 07:32

goran wrote:Well, TGI, was designed to be a difficult scenario I think. Ryoko is a skillful player and he created something he would enjoy. We're a bunch of players, so the difficulty will most likely be average. I dunno, we'll see how it turns out.

Anyone can be skillful when you know whats gonna happen next at all times.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 13th '09, 10:03

MoppyPuppy wrote:Anyone can be skillful when you know whats gonna happen next at all times.

Who says map makers don't deliberately make maps too hard for them to beat :)

I personally think Blasting Cherries and Drinking Vitriol are way harder than Power of One, and nobody knows if Chris Lund could actually beat either.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on May 13th '09, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 13th '09, 10:13

I've answered your original question, and I leave it at that. Please refrain yourself from discussing skillful, ryoko, tgi etc, since it's off-topic.
Last edited by goran on May 13th '09, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post May 13th '09, 10:29

Hey, seeing as how you've got like... enough mappers for this 8 level nexus idea of yours, I could try making some kinda righteous promo-screen for you, showing the player in his ass-kicking glory. I'm getting better at painting in photoshop these days.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 13th '09, 10:53

Actually, we have 3 slots open for mission levels, because Kurinn and Simon are lurking.
(and lhowon is not mapping). Also, it was decided some time ago that each mission may
include several levels. E.g mission A may be a string of 3 levels. So if you want to map
there's room.

About chapter screens...yes we could use a couple. As it is now, I can give directions for
two chapter screens.

goran

Post May 13th '09, 10:56

Shadowbreaker wrote:Who says map makers don't deliberately make maps too hard for them to beat :)

I personally think Blasting Cherries and Drinking Vitriol are way harder than Power of One, and nobody knows if Chris Lund could actually beat either.

I've beaten both of those. The ending battles take quite a few attempts but other than that the levels aren't that hard since there are so many rechargers.

TGI was designed to be exceptionally difficult. That was a deliberate design choice.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 13th '09, 11:56

I was busy with a lot of things but i should have more free time by now!
What level you want me to do Goran? Do you have any preferences or it's up to the author?
I will try to come up with something if you tell me what you want.
FullDiaper

Post May 13th '09, 13:40

On a personal note/update, the story is coming apace - After a bit of confusion and debate we have, for the most part, hammered out a backstory that meshes nicely with the Rubicon texture set and encapsulates the basic premise we wanted with "The Syndicate"
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post May 13th '09, 13:49

Simon go to our own forum and check the thread called getting started in mapmaking (it's pinned). Then if you have questions ask them in the question forum. Me and drictelt will answer them asap. Start a thread for your level, and we'll discuss it from there.

goran

Post May 16th '09, 04:06

Wowzers, were all those textures created for this project? Aside from that one greyish floor texture (it doesn't tile very inconspicuously), they're excellent.

johndoe
the core

Post May 16th '09, 05:15

No... those textures, weapons, and monsters are all from Rubicon X, a scenario with a lot of human and pfhor like themes, which is probably why it was chosen.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 16th '09, 13:21

Ah, ok. Well, whoever made them did haz what I call dedication.

johndoe
the core

Post May 16th '09, 16:56

I beat TGI a couple days ago. It was definitely one of the hardest scenarios I have played. I think The Power of One was a ridiculous level, part of me could not get over the absurdity of how many enemies you had to kill. And that sph't at the end was completely ridiculous. All of it, in a good way. That level reminded me of By Committee in Marathon Infinity, but with ten times the number of enemies and difficulty.

As for Syndicate, I think it sounds like it will be a fun game, I especially look forward to the plot. I like the setup of the story so far.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post May 17th '09, 02:13

Okay, can we please stop with the TGI related posts. We have a subforum for that, it's called Marathon Discussion, you can go gush about it all you want in there. This forum is for discussing projects in progress and this topic is for discussing M: S specifically. If you post anymore TGI related stuff in here, well, I actually can't do a thing about that. Well, this sucks. [MDown]
Last edited by Meta on May 17th '09, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Meta

Post May 17th '09, 09:25

Hey, sorry I have been out of action for a while. Things at school are on the upswing, so it seems like I won't have much free time right now. Maybe in another week or two that will change, but for now it's a million things at once I must deal with in the non-Marathon world.

Looks really awesome so far though.
Kurinn

Return to Projects