Eternal X v1.1

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 13th '09, 23:48

Enzan wrote:Allow me to break in this latest release with a shiny new problem. It doesn't work. All the relevant files appear to be in order, the A1 app is fully functional, but attempting to run Eternal results in absolutely nothing happening. No error message. Nada.

Can anyone else reproduce this, or lend any insight? I know it has definitely worked for at least one other person besides me.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 14th '09, 00:27

All the relevant bits, if it helps.
Attachments
Picture_7.png
Picture_7.png (36.3 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Picture_6.png
Picture_6.png (31.95 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Picture_5.png
Picture_5.png (31.17 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Picture_4.png
Picture_4.png (43.95 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Picture_3.png
Picture_3.png (26.05 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Picture_2.png
Picture_2.png (51.43 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Enzan

Post Jul 15th '09, 03:28

Errr? You appear to be using an old version of AO that shipped with a very old pre-X version of Eternal. I think that's the icon for the version that was in Mk V.

All you need is a regular current version of Aleph One from SBO in the same folder as all the Eternal files. When you're done you should have a folder that looks like this.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 15th '09, 04:58

I have to imagine you're looking at the icon instead of the version number. The may 31 preview build (0.22pre1) is the exact opposite of old.
Enzan

Post Jul 19th '09, 13:50

A few nitpicks so far :

On "Far side of Nowhere", I noticed that you've switch positions for the elevator and the first save terminal for some reason. Also, you now get two fusion pistols instead of one, yet in her briefing Hathor speaks only of "your standard sidearm".

While unpacking, I got a CRC error with Eternal_Data\Shapes\Walls\Set1_Forerunner\3Green\27.dds. The file appears to be there but I'm afraid I have to get to Antiquity first to know if it is corrupted or not.

Also, one thing I always wondered : why do you use recolored M1's pfhor sprites instead of M2-M3's? Just asking.

Edit : There seems to be some random display issues with terminals : the save terminal texture appears all stretched out and access terminals are completely white (or black, depending on the level). I have to reload to get them to display properly. Such thing never happened with 1.03.

Here's a pic :

[attachment=2891:glitch.jpg]
Attachments
glitch.jpg
glitch.jpg (111.81 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Jul 19th '09, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
johnnythewolf

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:20

Perhaps it is because it is supposed to take place during M1?
Meta

Post Jul 19th '09, 14:45

Meta wrote:Perhaps it is because it is supposed to take place during M1?


In Chapter 1, I can understand, but the following chapter takes place after M2. Also, it seems to me that M2/M3's sprites are actually updated versions of the same sprites. Besides, Memory uses M2/M3's Pfhor sounds already (as well as some M2/M3 enemies).

But on a more serious note, I appear to be stuck on Unwired 1.1. The elevator circled in red won't go down when I pull the switch at the other end of the corridor. It's weird, because I was playing the same level on 1.03 the other day and I didn't have that problem. It doesn't seem that I've missed a switch or anything.
Attachments
stuck.jpg
stuck.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Jul 19th '09, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
johnnythewolf

Post Jul 19th '09, 20:17

johnnythewolf wrote:In Chapter 1, I can understand, but the following chapter takes place after M2. Also, it seems to me that M2/M3's sprites are actually updated versions of the same sprites. Besides, Memory uses M2/M3's Pfhor sounds already (as well as some M2/M3 enemies).


Long story short is rather than switch out the appearance of all the units between the different chapters, I just picked the ones from either M1 or M2 which I preferred, and used those throughout, to get a mixed, pseudo-retro kind of look.

Also, I'm not sure if you're talking about the Fighters when you say "Pfhor", because those are unchanged besides tweaking their color tables slightly. The only units reverted to their M1 versions are the Troopers, Hunters, and Compilers.

But on a more serious note, I appear to be stuck on Unwired 1.1. The elevator circled in red won't go down when I pull the switch at the other end of the corridor. It's weird, because I was playing the same level on 1.03 the other day and I didn't have that problem. It doesn't seem that I've missed a switch or anything.


Ah yes, this bug was introduced between 1.1b1 and 1.1b2 here. You can get just the updated map file from here, which has it fixed. Could've sworn I already posted that here but apparently not...
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 19th '09, 21:50

Thanks, but... it seems that you have removed all music from levels. I replaced the map file and now, all I'm getting is ambient noises.
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Jul 19th '09, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
johnnythewolf

Post Jul 21st '09, 22:03

Stuffit Expander 13.0 gives me this error when i unzip EternalXv110b2Full.zip:

[An error occurred attempting to expand /Users/user/Desktop/EternalXv110b2Full.zip
The structure of the archive is damaged (Error#17540)]

So i had to revert to BOMArchiveHelper to expand it properly , but after that it works fine. I'm using version 0.21.2 of Aleph One. [a1logo]
(note that i'm using mac osx 10.4.11 if thats any help)

Sorry if my post is a bit broken [MFrown]
User avatar

Grenth

Post Jul 22nd '09, 11:35

Seriously, am I the only one now who doesn't get any music during levels? I reverted to the original buggy map file and the music plays fine, but as soon as I replace it by the fixed one, it just won't play anymore.

I tried updating Aleph One and reinstalling from scratch, but that didn't do the trick.
johnnythewolf

Post Jul 22nd '09, 12:18

I can see in a screenshot you posted that is displaying the WEP fusion pistol enhancement, which makes me suspect some issues. when you reinstalled, did you download the eternal zip and the newest map update from this topic, and a clean zip of alephone at source.bungie.org?

then unzip the eternal folder, copy in the new map file, then copying in A1?
Last edited by CryoS on Jul 22nd '09, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
User avatar

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jul 22nd '09, 21:08

CryoS wrote:I can see in a screenshot you posted that is displaying the WEP fusion pistol enhancement, which makes me suspect some issues. when you reinstalled, did you download the eternal zip and the newest map update from this topic, and a clean zip of alephone at source.bungie.org?

then unzip the eternal folder, copy in the new map file, then copying in A1?


That's pretty much it. But the WEP fusion pistol enhancement is supposed to be there, according to the original post.
johnnythewolf

Post Jul 25th '09, 01:55

CryoS wrote:I can see in a screenshot you posted that is displaying the WEP fusion pistol enhancement, which makes me suspect some issues. when you reinstalled, did you download the eternal zip and the newest map update from this topic, and a clean zip of alephone at source.bungie.org?

then unzip the eternal folder, copy in the new map file, then copying in A1?


I just had the same thing happen to me in 1.0.3. It would seem to have shown up for me after switching from 1680x1250 res fullscreen mode to 1280x10274 windowed mode

Here's what the error log had to say about it:

Code: Select all
Can't open video display (Unable to reset window for OpenGL context)
WARNING: Failed to initialize OpenGL with 24 bit colour
WARNING: Retrying with 16 bit colour
Can't open video display (Unable to reset window for OpenGL context)


It's also occurred during a few crashes I had that seem to be related to the theme. Though, the crashed happened when teleporting from Once More into the Breach to Genie in a Bottle. Switching to software mode let me teleport:

Code: Select all
Error at line 21: element of type theme has no child of type background
Error at line 22: element of type theme has no child of type color
Error at line 48 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 55 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 68 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 69 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 2: out of range
There were parsing errors in configuration file theme.mml
Error at line 21: element of type theme has no child of type background
Error at line 22: element of type theme has no child of type color
Error at line 48 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 55 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 68 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 1: out of range
Error at line 69 with element of type color, attribute tag index and value 2: out of range
There were parsing errors in configuration file theme.mml
Can't open video display (Unable to reset window for OpenGL context)
WARNING: Failed to initialize OpenGL with 24 bit colour
WARNING: Retrying with 16 bit colour
Can't open video display (Unable to reset window for OpenGL context)


For the theme trouble: Apparently, I've been playing with an additional theme.mml in my scripts folder for some length of time. I removed it and deleted the default them, because I noticed the Eternal_Theme wasn't to be found under Environment Preferences. I put default theme back so have the infinity style Preference theme back, vs. outlines/white text.

edit: I saw the fusion where a recharger should be and alien scatter rifle in place of circuits.
Last edited by effigy on Jul 25th '09, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
User avatar

effigy

Post Jul 25th '09, 11:57

johnnythewolf wrote:That's pretty much it. But the WEP fusion pistol enhancement is supposed to be there, according to the original post.


oh right saw that now. no problem there then.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
User avatar

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jul 29th '09, 07:46

Hello,

I and one of my friends, Gorfiend, have been playing Eternal 1.1b2 over Marius net. During the course of our games we noticed several problems. On Map 19 My Kingdom Pfhor a Horse, the end terminal does not activate after the door has been opened, nor does the green recharge, however the save terminal did work. Secondly, the Gravitronic Blades do not spawn in single player or multiplayer on a majority of the maps that they did spawn on in 1.03. A listing follows:

Map 42 Echoes of Eden: Neither the Gravitronic Blades nor the Canon spawn in the weapons room with the Hathor terminal, but there is a massive amount of ammo that spawns, which is entirely useless if you start on that level.
Maps 43-45: Gravitronic Blades do not spawn at the start.
Map 48: Gravitronic Blades do not spawn at the start.

Maps 46, 47, 49, and 50 work.

Another thing is that there is a potential trap on Map 23 Let Sleeping Gods Die. After the lava has been raised, if you need to get out of the starting room, ie after a respawn, it is impossible to survive even if you manage to get to the green recharge and fully recharge your shields.

On a lighter note, the Eternal scenario is one the best total conversions I've played.

Keep up the good work,
Bloodnamed

Edit:

We found a couple of untextured faces on the polygons for the lifts near the chip slots in Map 46 Frog Blast The Vent Core. The screen shots are in the attachments now to cut down on the length of this post.

First one: Polygon 66
Second one: Polygon 65

Also, coincidentally enough, the polygon for the door on the left in the screenshots was 777 [MUp]
Attachments
Missing_Texture_4.zip
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Missing_Texture_3.zip
(896.93 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Missing_Texture_2.zip
(91.46 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Missing_Texture_1.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by Bloodnamed on Aug 2nd '09, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Bloodnamed

Post Jul 29th '09, 09:17

Bloodnamed wrote:I and one of my friends, Gorfiend, have been playing Eternal 1.1b2 over Marius net. During the course of our games we noticed several problems. On Map 19 My Kingdom Pfhor a Horse, the end terminal does not activate after the door has been opened, nor does the green recharge, however the save terminal did work.

Confirmed, diagnosed and fixed. Apparently the map got marked as Extermination as well, making exiting the level... problematic.

Secondly, the Gravitronic Blades do not spawn in single player or multiplayer on a majority of the maps that they did spawn on in 1.03.
This was intentional, to make getting the gravblades a bigger reward when you get them at the climax of "Deep Into The Grotto". I've been thinking of ways to counterbalance this, mostly involving extra Jjaro Fusion Turrets, and having them become mobile after the Watcher takes over the Guardian's duties at the end of "These Caves Can't Be A Natural Formation". I think I should re-add the Wave Motion Cannon in in a few places though, and I've been thinking of maybe giving the player some fusion weapons throughout Chapter 5 as well, but I don't think that would quite fit properly with the story, unless they were like... ancient relics or something.

I've also considered giving players a greater arsenal via MML throughout the game, so that on each level you'll start with (at least) the weapons you might reasonably expect to have by that point in the game. This would also help in the first half of Chapter 3, where there are no Pfhor to get weapons from, much like the first half of Chapter 5.

But that kinda defeats the point of vidding, and I don't want to run roughshod over such a venerable Marathon tradition. Any input on these ideas, my dear Pfhorumers? (...er, I mean, you fascist Pfhorumite infidels, dirka dirka yrro jihad!)

Another thing is that there is a potential trap on Map 23 Let Sleeping Gods Die. After the lava has been raised, if you need to get out of the starting room, ie after a respawn, it is impossible to survive even if you manage to get to the green recharge and fully recharge your shields.

There are several levels where this is an issue, the end of "This Message Will Self-Destruct" being the most obvious. I'm not sure yet how to address it...

On a lighter note, the Eternal scenario is one the best total conversions I've played.


Thanks!

Edit: Smearing fixed too, thanks again.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Jul 29th '09, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 29th '09, 16:45

@Bloodnamed: Since you said you've been playing over MNet, I'll assume that your using the Co-op script. First off since there have been many revisions, make sure you have the latest one. Secondly, do you know of the teleport setting ability? If you pull up the map and hit tab, it sets a beacon that other players can then teleport to, as long as they move to your name in the map screen with the "[]" keys and then hit the microphone key, which defaults to the "," key. I'm not 100% sure on that last bit so if it doesn't work ask Pfhorrest - he hosts a ton of Co-op games with the guys over at hl.bungie.org :)
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
User avatar

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jul 29th '09, 16:48

Unfortunately even teleport doesn't help that much in levels where the beginning floods. I remember epstein and I stopped playing co-op Tempus Irae when we got to one of those, after a hilarious valiant effort of hopscotching teleporters trying to proceed to dry ground failed.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 29th '09, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 30th '09, 16:07

you could always add a teleporter in the spawnroom that opens after the flood. if you need to justify it in the story it could be an emergency safety measure
User avatar

screamingfool

Post Aug 2nd '09, 22:41

Yeah, I suppose that there isn't too much need to have the blades that early. The Phantasms aren't too much of a problem especially if you're using sidestepping to maximize your speed. Gorfiend and I got through just fine on TC.

In regards to the cooperative lua script, we started using it, but it made the game too easy imo with shared weapons and ammo (though we did have fun on Hell Hole using the teleport function to set up some skeet shooting with the SPNKR). Having a teleporter as a safety measure in flooding levels would be logical since it would be a problem the designers of the installation would have had to worry about when designing it. Naturally, you wouldn't want to have it on This Message Will Self Destruct, but perhaps you could make it so that the plasma lowers again after it's had enough time to finish off someone with full purple shields, and make a trigger for a spot on the floor in that room that starts the plasma rising again. It wouldn't make much sense in the context that the ship is exploding and you need to leave now, but the players likely to complain about it shouldn't be the ones that suffer from something like this. If nothing else you can just say back to them "Haha, you died [MOh] " Then again, technically speaking if you're caught in a situation like this, then you've failed the level, and therefore have no reason to be catered to. My thinking for this was just to preserve a good net session, because between the two of us if the level loaded properly, then lock-ups were rare on the same level. It's about making a compromise between logic and reality. Personally, I think it's OK to make these additions for Co-op, but I wouldn't touch single player, because single player is the definition of Marathon's story. However, I don't know how much control you have between Single Player and Cooperative versions of the map.

The main thing we've had problems with is frequent lock ups over net play. Sadly, it seems like an inconsistent problem. With the exceptions of Unwired and My Kingdom Pfhor a Horse, we completed the entire scenario continuously over Marius Net and join by address, we had to use JBA after the occasional lock-up removed my ability to host on Marius Net or perhaps the server just went down, so the cooperative enabled project is coming along nicely.

Truthfully, if you use MML to set starting weapons for players, it doesn't force them to use those weapons. Remember, the point of viding is to have have style while doing it. You don't have to give gobs and gobs of ammo either. Probably the biggest threat to viding is the fact that the Chronus Fusion pistol is so powerful, but it's the only reasonable long range weapon you can use. It's been a while since I've played M1, 2 and Infinity, but you might want to check that the scaling of damage to health per total number of shots is the same, or same-ish, if you haven't done so already (ie if you buffed the health of enemies by 2x or so, and the Chronus Pistol gets 3/4 of the ammo that the pistol in the original Marathons got, then each Fusion pistol shot should do ~8/3 of the damage of each original pistol shot). You could argue that the fusion pistol can't be balanced like this though since it's supposed to do extra damage to mechanical units. Though, I believe that each scenario has its own style of game-play therefore leading to different styles of viding, so I'll be ok with however you decide to do it.

Bloodnamed
User avatar

Bloodnamed

Post Aug 3rd '09, 04:14

UPDATE: Eternal X v1.1.0b3 is now available.

http://eternal.bungie.org/files/_releases/...Xv110b3Full.zip

Changes since Eternal X v1.1.0 b2:
- Four tracks of new music from the Pfhorms' own Tommy T-Bone; featured mostly in Chapter 3, but more sparsely in other chapter as well. (The music which "broke" in the b2 supplemental map now works again too).
- Updated interface (splash, main screen, loading, credits) and a theme to match which works on modern builds of Aleph One.
- Experimental implementation of mobile fusion turrets on the success branch of Chapter 5. Needs thorough testing to balance them just right.
- Assorted bug fixes, including some major ones on Unwired (sigh, again) and My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse.

Still to come later:
- Experimental varying starting weapons (e.g. you start with more on later levels).
- New weapon&player sprites from CryoS.
- A floating HUD.
- Maybe that coop vidmaster pack.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 8th '09, 02:08

So far so good. You seem to have resolved all my issues with the previous beta, maybe save for the stretched terminal textures (although it seems to happen only once, at the beginning of Chapter 1).

Three Rocks From Lh'owon is fun. By the way, are there two Manipulated Dead levels now? I've just found out for the first time about Chapter 3's failure branch and I ended up on a level called The Manipulated Dead. However, this one starts with a rather scary message from what I assume is the W?rkncacnter and there is no sign of Hathor whatsoever.

I also noticed some graphical glitch with the Flickt'a hires blood. It's hard to describe, so I made a picture of it.

[attachment=2950:weird_blood.jpg]
Attachments
weird_blood.jpg
weird_blood.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Aug 8th '09, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
johnnythewolf

Post Aug 8th '09, 03:00

johnnythewolf wrote:By the way, are there two Manipulated Dead levels now? I've just found out for the first time about Chapter 3's failure branch and I ended up on a level called The Manipulated Dead.

There are five variants of that level, but they *should* all have different names: The Tangent Universe, The Living Receiver, The Manipulated Dead, The Ensurance Trap, and The Philosophy of Time Travel. (bonus points if you recognize what these names are referencing). Are you seeing two both with the same title?
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 8th '09, 12:09

Pfhorrest wrote:There are five variants of that level, but they *should* all have different names: The Tangent Universe, The Living Receiver, The Manipulated Dead, The Ensurance Trap, and The Philosophy of Time Travel. (bonus points if you recognize what these names are referencing). Are you seeing two both with the same title?


According to Eternal Volunteers, "The Manipulated Dead" is the name of the level where Hathor becomes God, but I'm pretty sure the level I'm talking about shares the same title. The first terminal contains a message from the Wrck about failing in your own nightmare and you're told in the final terminal that you should trust Leela and not Subbu'th. Then, you're sent back to S'pht Happens.

Or could it just be that there's a mistake in Eternal Volunteers?

http://forums.bungie.org/story/?noframes;read=40076
http://forums.bungie.org/story/?noframes;read=56184

As for the reference, I believe it is Donnie Darko.
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Aug 8th '09, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
johnnythewolf

PreviousNext

Return to Projects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users