How to present a project

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 21st '09, 22:39

I've seen the good way and the bad way to present a project. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, either. It's just a little guide that may help some newcomers with their 'amazing ideas'.

Don'ts:
announce it without any work put in.
create a splash screen and expect people to suddenly like your project.
have 1 or 2 crappy maps and no story. this goes along with no work put in.

Do's:
have something to present.
create the splash screen last.
create most of the maps and have the storyline written somewhere. The story does not have to go online, just somewhere so you don't screw it up.

Remember, pics, or it dint happen.

A good post from Pfhorrest:
Pfhorrest wrote:Biggest tip from me, from personal experience:
- Don't announce a big project if you've never released any little ones first.

That doesn't mean not to have big eventual dreams, and you can start with a little project that might grow into a bigger one, and even say that you hope it might grow into a bigger one. But if, say, your eventual goal is a complete new 50-level TC with all new high-res everything, and you've never released a single map... it's probably best to start with a single map. You can even make it the first mission of your planned scenario, and have the intro to your story in there to hook people's interest.

But don't do anything else until you've got that one map done, released, critiqued, redone, re-released, re-critiqued, and so on as necessary until everyone is generally happy with the quality of your map.

Then you can start making a texture set to retexture that map in. Release that, listen to the critiques, redo it, re-release it, etc etc, until everyone is generally happy with the quality of your textures. Most definitely DO NOT start making tons of maps with the first version of your texture set; I can virtually guarantee that you will have to go back and retexture all those maps several times, and take it from experience, that's no fun at all.

Congratulations, you now have a nice new map in a nice new texture set. A solid start to a scenario project. You can now start on the first chapter of your scenario, using the same feedback process for your next few maps and texture sets, until you're turning out new stuff without much complaint. By that point you've probably got enough to release a solid demo, and it's safe to continue working behind closed doors if you like to do so thereafter.
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Aug 22nd '09, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Aug 21st '09, 23:41

What the hell do you know about presenting projects.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:01

Come on, man. You're no pro at it, either. I don't think jamacan is the smartest person here, but his heart is in the right place. He's just feeling his oats because there is a new wave of noobs coming in who don't know Pfhorge/Obed and he's started to help them.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:09

Shadowbreaker wrote:What the hell do you know about presenting projects.

You don't have to have presented a project to realize that when certain things happen, you get flamed, and when other things happen, you don't.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:40

How to present a project

Just don't.
Meta

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:49

Biggest tip from me, from personal experience:
- Don't announce a big project if you've never released any little ones first.

That doesn't mean not to have big eventual dreams, and you can start with a little project that might grow into a bigger one, and even say that you hope it might grow into a bigger one. But if, say, your eventual goal is a complete new 50-level TC with all new high-res everything, and you've never released a single map... it's probably best to start with a single map. You can even make it the first mission of your planned scenario, and have the intro to your story in there to hook people's interest.

But don't do anything else until you've got that one map done, released, critiqued, redone, re-released, re-critiqued, and so on as necessary until everyone is generally happy with the quality of your map.

Then you can start making a texture set to retexture that map in. Release that, listen to the critiques, redo it, re-release it, etc etc, until everyone is generally happy with the quality of your textures. Most definitely DO NOT start making tons of maps with the first version of your texture set; I can virtually guarantee that you will have to go back and retexture all those maps several times, and take it from experience, that's no fun at all.

Congratulations, you now have a nice new map in a nice new texture set. A solid start to a scenario project. You can now start on the first chapter of your scenario, using the same feedback process for your next few maps and texture sets, until you're turning out new stuff without much complaint. By that point you've probably got enough to release a solid demo, and it's safe to continue working behind closed doors if you like to do so thereafter.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:57

Pfhorrest wrote:. Most definitely DO NOT start making tons of maps with the first version of your texture set; I can virtually guarantee that you will have to go back and retexture all those maps several times, and take it from experience, that's no fun at all.

Son of a gun! That's exactly what I'm doing right now xD (it's not that fun)
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 22nd '09, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 22nd '09, 00:58

Pfhorrest wrote:- Don't announce a big project if you've never released any little ones first.

[post="32671"]DID ANYONE EVER IMPROVE AFTER ANYTHING YOU'VE DONE IN YOUR LIFE?[/post]
Last edited by irons on Aug 22nd '09, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:39

Meta wrote:"Actually the only reason I got anywhere was from people being nice to me. I showed them the little I had of Eternal..."
Another cherished contribution to the great hypocrisy.

Eh? Who is being hypocritical and how? What you quote from me there sounds perfectly in line with what I was just saying, though it's a slightly different subject (the quote was in regard to how to respond to project announcements, countering someone's claim that being nice never helped anyone improve; what I was saying in this thread is more about how I would have announced/released Eternal if I had to do it all over again, and by extension, my advice on how people ought to announce/release their own projects).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:47

So my advice to every idiotic teenager lurking out there harboring the want to create an awesome scenario out of a few pathetic attempts at maps and a moronic story idea with Ashley Tisdale's tits bouncing around in there somewhere is to go for it! Seriously, does anyone want another Marathon: Vengeance? I know I do.
Last edited by Meta on Aug 22nd '09, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Meta

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:49

$lave wrote:Stop posting.

Even an unwashed nave like me still knows wisdom when he sees it.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:51

Lh wrote:[center][/center]
Even an unwashed nave like me still knows wisdom when he sees it.

I don't understand.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:53

He's telling Meta to stop.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 22nd '09, 01:53

I believe there's a "K" in there somewhere.
Meta

Post Aug 22nd '09, 03:15

irons wrote:He's telling Meta to stop.

No,
Tevedollars wrote:Stop posting until your scenario is done.
But you do get points for interpreting it that way.
Last edited by L'howon on Aug 22nd '09, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Aug 22nd '09, 03:32

My interpretation of "Please stop." in Meta's context is hard-coded as "Please stop[ posting]." I wish I could override this behavior. Damn.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 22nd '09, 10:23

If I recall correctly the flood of mappers that came to Eternal's assistance, didn't come until you, Forrest, got the status
as a good story writer.

What do you think about that Forrest?

goran

Post Aug 22nd '09, 11:44

I discovered eternal and forrest before I discovered the marathon community...
Last edited by Drictelt on Aug 22nd '09, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Aug 25th '09, 16:52

[attachment=2989:icon.png]
Attachments
icon.png
icon.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 5598 times

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 25th '09, 17:01

yeah thanks trellama, m1a1 sucked

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 25th '09, 17:32

Treellama wrote:[attachment=2989:icon.png]

...looks shiny.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Aug 25th '09, 17:42

OMG irons, does this mean you're presenting a new M1A1 project that doesn't suck?

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 25th '09, 18:33

W wrote:OMG irons, does this mean you're presenting a new M1A1 project that doesn't suck?

I don't appreciate the trap you laid for me. We both know that such a project must always suck.

irons
(.Y.)

Return to Projects