Poll

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 15th '09, 02:14

nice to see that you read the do's and do nots.

now, i just downloaded your map from s7, lemme check it out to see how it goes.

EDIT: A good first try. You need to test the map. I got stuck in a goo pit. It wasn't deep enough to swim out of and I dint have any grenades to jump with, not that it would help much. The platforms look like the teleports. I thought one teleporter was a platform and ran around on it for a while waiting for it to go up. there is one lighting error. You need better differential shading. Some of the map looked too redundant. Some platforms were too slow, too.

I haven't tested it in the meta, so i don't know how it plays.
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Sep 15th '09, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 15th '09, 03:41

you obviously did not notice the pillar of goo that could get you out...
fixed that...
i like my shiny platforms... aww...
fixed that...
there are a few bright walls where there shouldn't be.
fixed that...
now Justice had a problem getting the file. how do i upload it so mac, windows and linux can use it?
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Sep 15th '09, 14:19

It shouldnt be a problem, what does Justice run? I used WinVista and dint have a problem
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 15th '09, 20:46

windows...

envy

Post Sep 16th '09, 15:09

I want to have a short scenario (3 level long TC anyone?) set before the first Marathon (make the weapons really shitty on purpose). In this scenario, some AI/person would be helping you implement a virus to destroy the pfhor, but only at the end do you realize that he was actually an undercover pfhor (or something of the like) getting you to plant a virus that - and here's the kicker - is a virus that causes rampancy in all the Marathon's AI. Then at the end he kills you.

Like one of those twist-in-the-tale short stories you read in crappy collections made by people too lazy to do anything of substance.

gmanyo

Post Sep 16th '09, 15:15

gmanyo wrote:I want to have a short scenario (3 level long TC anyone?) set before the first Marathon (make the weapons really shitty on purpose). In this scenario, some AI/person would be helping you implement a virus to destroy the pfhor, but only at the end do you realize that he was actually an undercover pfhor (or something of the like) getting you to plant a virus that - and here's the kicker - is a virus that causes rampancy in all the Marathon's AI. Then at the end he kills you.

Like one of those twist-in-the-tale short stories you read in crappy collections made by people too lazy to do anything of substance.

Except now everyone knows the ending! Good work.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 16th '09, 23:55

his heart was in the right place
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 17th '09, 00:08

Treellama wrote:Except now everyone knows the ending! Good work.

Oh well. It's not like I could have actually made this anyway. But if someone wants to steal my idea, that would be pretty cool. Besides, there are people who play Marathon and don't post here.

I'm still totally for a really short total conversion. Which I also couldn't do.
Last edited by gmanyo on Sep 17th '09, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Sep 17th '09, 08:11

gmanyo wrote:I want to have a short scenario (3 level long TC anyone?) set before the first Marathon (make the weapons really shitty on purpose). In this scenario, some AI/person would be helping you implement a virus to destroy the pfhor, but only at the end do you realize that he was actually an undercover pfhor (or something of the like) getting you to plant a virus that - and here's the kicker - is a virus that causes rampancy in all the Marathon's AI. Then at the end he kills you.

Pfhor and humanity hadn't met prior to marathon.
Rampancy is a natural occouring effect documented in the marathon universe.
Pfhor didn't have AIs themselves prior to marathon. How could they understand the technology?
Last edited by goran on Sep 17th '09, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Sep 17th '09, 08:30

Goran wrote:Pfhor and humanity hadn't met prior to marathon.

Really? Shoot, I didn't realize that.

Goran wrote:Rampancy is a natural occouring effect documented in the marathon universe.

But that's the point. See, you thought it was naturally occuring, but then boom! Surprise! ( I would put in a note that the scenario was in no way meant to be "for realz", but just for kicks)

Goran wrote:Pfhor didn't have AIs themselves prior to marathon. How could they understand the technology?

So make it someone else. Some human who hated the human race, for some reason, and just wanted to wreck havoc. Like the Joker in The Dark Knight.

gmanyo

Post Sep 19th '09, 04:15

Just make a scenario that has the Player play through Marathon 1 BACKWARDS.

All the levels that can be done backwards of course.

Level 1 will be original.

Level 1: Takes place on Tau Ceti. Its an Extermination mission that occurs just as the events of M1 are ending.
The level is made to look like a colony, the player is one of the 9 planet side cyborgs.
You kill the Pfhor in the level which just happen to be the last on planet as you and the other 8 cyborgs have saved the colony.

Then a Pfhor battlegroup arrives.

Levels 2-11 (9 levels total): These are all M1 levels that are capable of being played BACKWARDS.
The 9 cyborgs, knowing they have no chance in a pitched battle with an entire fleet of ground invading Pfhor, figure out that the Marathon is now derelict (Thanks to Durandal taking them all away) and has been retaken by the Pfhor. The Pfhor fleet consisting of DOZENS of ships is in orbit around Tau Ceti in CLOSE PROXIMITY to the Marathon.

So then, the 9 Cyborgs infiltrate the Marathon via shuttle. And each goes on a mission with the cooperative goal of making the Marathon EXPLODE.
So your playing 9 missions straight out of M1 backwards, this time to sabotage the Marathon rather than save it.
The Marathon explodes taking out the entire fleet of Pfhor ships while the 9 escape to the surface.

The end terminal is that of jubilation.
The end screen shows Pfhor reinforcements moving into orbit, and the bottom of the screen is that of a nuked planet below.

Maybe I could do this.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Sep 22nd '09, 00:51

Do it. after i do mine, so they will coincide. we could make it the prequel, with some tau ceti action, foreplay for the real thing. bonus levels to the series. do that, when i finish COMPLETELY.

envy

Post Sep 23rd '09, 05:17

The death-ending would be hard to work out. I can think of it in only one way.
You read a terminal, and it says,
"Great job, foolish human(orwhatever). You have assured your own death. You may stand by and watch as I deconstruct you atom by atom, and scatter the pieces to the solar wind."
*Teleport System Active. Warning: No destination. Critical safety hazard.*
-Overridden remotely-
-Have a nice day-

And then it looks like you teleport out. The game is over. And the end screen is like you getting ripped apart or something.
Otherwise it wouldn't work.
You HAVE to get teleported out.
You could get told you are being sent somewhere to die, and the end screen could show you getting shot up by enemies.

That just wouldn't be as cool as "living" your own death.

On an unrelated note, what was the MInf trick for making the bobs hostile and the aliens friendly? Was that some custom script or something?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Sep 23rd '09, 12:36

Pfheil wrote:The death-ending would be hard to work out. I can think of it in only one way.
You read a terminal, and it says,
"Great job, foolish human(orwhatever). You have assured your own death. You may stand by and watch as I deconstruct you atom by atom, and scatter the pieces to the solar wind."
*Teleport System Active. Warning: No destination. Critical safety hazard.*
-Overridden remotely-
-Have a nice day-

And then it looks like you teleport out. The game is over. And the end screen is like you getting ripped apart or something.
Otherwise it wouldn't work.
You HAVE to get teleported out.
You could get told you are being sent somewhere to die, and the end screen could show you getting shot up by enemies.

That just wouldn't be as cool as "living" your own death.

On an unrelated note, what was the MInf trick for making the bobs hostile and the aliens friendly? Was that some custom script or something?

physics merged with the map, i beleive
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 23rd '09, 20:54

Pfhiel, how would you get the player to click return to that? i wouldn't teleport.

envy

Post Sep 24th '09, 00:43

Here's an idea. get a bunch of people to make one map each (or more than one if they feel like it) and have them add their own plot to the map. None of the maps' plots would have anything to do with each other, except for the first map, in which the player falls into a giant vat of LSD. Then put them together into a scenario. It could be called Marathon: TRIP

Seriously, though, I think complete randomness would be highly amusing. You would never know where you would end up. And you wouldn't carry your weapons from map to map. Maybe there would even be different sets for each map, sort of like from different scenarios. And maybe it could be updated and added to later on so that you never end up in the same place twice when you play through again and again.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post Sep 24th '09, 00:49

SynthNinja wrote:Here's an idea. get a bunch of people to make one map each (or more than one if they feel like it) and have them add their own plot to the map. None of the maps' plots would have anything to do with each other, except for the first map, in which the player falls into a giant vat of LSD. Then put them together into a scenario. It could be called Marathon: TRIP

Seriously, though, I think complete randomness would be highly amusing. You would never know where you would end up. And you wouldn't carry your weapons from map to map. Maybe there would even be different sets for each map, sort of like from different scenarios. And maybe it could be updated and added to later on so that you never end up in the same place twice when you play through again and again.

Its already been done. It's called KTA, and eschews shitty story for better gameplay.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Sep 24th '09, 04:58

Ah shit, I forgot you can opt out of teleport. :(
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Sep 24th '09, 14:54

How about have a random Marathon map made with a bunch of terminals, and then a bunch of people re-submit the map with text in the terminals, and the best few stories are chosen as winners. Like a competition.

Or, better yet, replace all the terminals in one of the original Marathons to make some super weird trippy plot.

gmanyo

Post Sep 27th '09, 02:45

how about we drop the thread and let me do what I have already decided on, without these dumb ideas?

envy

Post Sep 27th '09, 03:12

You can't stop something that you have no control over.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Sep 27th '09, 03:57

Envy wrote:how about we drop the thread and let me do what I have already decided on, without these dumb ideas?

Uhhh, whose poll was this, exactly?

ErisOnline
San Francisco, CA

Post Sep 27th '09, 04:56

MINE
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 27th '09, 11:33

Envy wrote:how about we drop the thread and let me do what I have already decided on, without these dumb ideas?

I don't know, I'm kinda liking the whole "asteroids" idea.

Scenario: Save the planet from the Pfhor.

START!

Player walks into a room full of Pfhor, kills them. Goes to open the door to the next area, and through the door comes... ASTEROIDS!

Player respawns at the pattern buffer and re-kills the Pfhor, this time taking a different door out. Player picks up the uplink chip he was looking for, he goes to the insertion point and inserts the chip, when suddenly... ASTEROIDS!

Player luckily saved just prior to this. Player takes the chip and inserts it in a different area, Player now has access to a switch and door puzzle.
Player completes the puzzle and walks through the now open doors, and on the other side... ASTEROIDS!

Player, after going through the entire scenario via ASTEROID memorization, finally saves the planet from the Pfhor.
Player reads the final terminal and is presented the final screen of the planet he just saved.
But as the screen scrolls over, the Player suddenly realizes the planet he tried so hard to save is about to be destroyed by...

ASTEROIDS!

Now THAT would be a HARDCORE plot twist.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Sep 27th '09, 11:55

No, wait! I've got it!

Make Marathon:The Floor is Lava! Lowest health possible. You have to make crazy jumps from place to place to avoid the lava and make it to your goal. Savepoints occasionally, if desired.

Marathon:TFIL.
Last edited by gmanyo on Sep 27th '09, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

PreviousNext

Return to Projects