Winter 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 31st '09, 08:10

Tremble mortals and despair.
Winter I - The Venom, has finally been updated. [MUp]

Download the update from Fileball!

http://fileball.bungie.org/index.php?optio...nfo&id=3467

It contains a mountain of bug fixes, which I did on and off over the last few months. The biggest change of them all is Faktree, now completely different from the other versions. Don't worry, it still takes you to the final level! It is now the version that Axle_Gear sent me, though if you are just crazy about the other one, the un-updated map file is on the other thread.

Maybe I'll come up with a less obnoxious sig now...

BUG FIXES:

* A few spelling errors fixed.
* Now features a very nice new loading screen! Look at it closely as you play each level.
* Creepy sound added on the opening screen.
* Winter I no longer requires an MML script to play! This is further explained in the Read Me.
* The story is a tiny bit different.

* Terminals on Flushed now display human writing.
* Shotgun Enforcers are now weaker Submachinegun enforcers who are weak against shotguns.
* You start out with 150 health on Flushed.
* Final room of Flushed only contains one trooper.
* Flushed is now co-op enabled (I think)

* Goo Lagoon has some barrel fixes.
* A few dummies from Goo Lagoon have been fixed.

* Untextured Sides fixed on Kick the Can
* A few sound errors also fixed.

* Bumpy sides and stuff fixed on Wishbone.

* Seven Times Unlocked... uhhh... stayed the same.

* Faktree is now significantly different from the initial release. It has been restored back to the original version I was given... though I did make it a bit harder and made all of the monsters relentlessly hunt you down when activated.
* Super Huge terminal mistake fixed on Faktree.
* There is only one circuit to mash in Faktree.

* Dummies on Airport Extreme kinda fixed. Some were impossible to fix.
* Minor Texture changes in Airport Extreme.
* Switch in the final room of AE now works properly.
* Nuclear Explosion added at the end.

* Bug fix a few minutes ago! The textures folder must be "Winter Textures" not "Winter Textures 1.2"! I just uploaded a version free of this.

EDIT:

[attachment=3016:Picture_28.png]
Attachments
Picture_28.png
Picture_28.png (25.56 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Sep 1st '09, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 31st '09, 10:08

Good!
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Aug 31st '09, 12:54

Shadowbreaker wrote:* Winter I no longer requires an MML script to play! This is further explained in the Read Me.

What :(

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 31st '09, 20:11

Did you really embed the hi-res textures mml? ughhghhhh

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 1st '09, 18:49

Hey! It only took until summer to spruce up our Winter project to working condition. ^^

I'll give it a download and see how it plays out now.
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 1st '09, 19:00

RyokoTK wrote:Did you really embed the hi-res textures mml? ughhghhhh

Seriously, for anybody reading this thread, absolutely do not under any circumstances use Winter I as an example of how to make a proper scenario. Any of the Bungie scenarios, Red or Evil from source.bungie.org are the right way to do it.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 2nd '09, 08:33

Alrighty then. This might be me not bothering to go back to the last forum and check to see what I did wrong, but it seems none of the terminal pictures are showing. It wasn't much of a setback at first, but for the very last part of the very last level, the terminal at the start says "Go here before you suffocate," leaving to me guess that a vitally important map is where that 'missing picture' text is.

Am I missing something in getting the terminal pics to display?

And by the way Shadowbreaker, thank you for restoring Faktree to its mostly original state. I know it can be ridiculously short/easy, but at least it works a little better and looks more proper now. But as an important note, I wanted to have a chip insertion where you put the wires in the map for the sole sake of keeping players from just lobbing a grenade across the security strip and making the level easy-peasy. I did that on my first run through and encountered very little resistance for taking the obvious, straight-forward route. I would strongly suggest either changing it back to a chip insertion and giving the player the chip at the start of the level, or give the player some incentive to explore and fight and make them aware of it in the starting terminal. Maybe I could even rework that part so a player can't get a straight shot at the goal.

But it's good to see things in mostly-working condition. Maybe this coming winter we'll have things a little more together. ^^
Axle_Gear

Post Sep 2nd '09, 09:35

I think the problem with your terminal pictures is that you have an outdated Aleph One build. The maps were all merged with Atque, so I'd assume you'd need a build released after that was. No one else seems to have had that problem...

Heh, I never really noticed that chip inserting thing either. I thought some daring players would be more interested in seeing what would happen if you stepped on the yellow strip than completing the level easily, but I sort of forgot that the chip was originally supposed to be there and would force the player to face all of the monsters. Perhaps it was because the preceeding level was just made of uplink chips that I decided against it to begin with... in my opinion it works :P, and I'd rather not spend another hour uploading this (Australia is extremely un-comcastic). But the thing I never understood was the purpose of the switch in the control tower... all it seemed to do was deactivate a light that the wires also deactivated... even in Forge I couldn't figure out what significance it played in the mission. But it still works regardless!

As for Airport Extreme, just go into the room right at the start with the 5 hunters, then take the path up to the top floor. After you go up the elevator, there'll be a shaft leading up to the end room right infront of you.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Sep 2nd '09, 12:34

RyokoTK wrote:Did you really embed the hi-res textures mml? ughhghhhh

While this is not something I would normally do either, I don't see how it is really problematic. I mean, would anybody bother changing the paths in the mml script or anything?
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Sep 2nd '09, 12:53

Drictelt wrote:While this is not something I would normally do either, I don't see how it is really problematic. I mean, would anybody bother changing the paths in the mml script or anything?
  • Level embedded MML is meant for things which are, you know, specific to a level--which a scenario texture set is not
  • It wastes bandwidth being transmitted in co-op
  • It makes it difficult for someone to customize his Winter I with alternate textures
  • It results in extra work and wasted disk space for anyone who wants to make a net or solo map for Winter I, because now they have to unmerge Winter I's MML, and include it into their own map, thus intensifying problems 2 and 3
To be fair, it doesn't actually say anywhere what to use embedded MML for and what not to, because I assumed it was common sense not to use it for scenario-wide MML! I'll bet you guys never thought I would overestimate Shadowbreaker.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 2nd '09, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 2nd '09, 16:32

Ah, I see.

Drictelt

Post Sep 2nd '09, 17:19

If you update this again, please make it a complete folder, ready for unzip and play. Also follow treellamas wishes. That guy know perfection by heart.

goran

Post Sep 2nd '09, 17:40

Goran wrote:That guy know perfection by heart.

This is why I've never made a scenario :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 2nd '09, 19:16

Shadowbreaker wrote:But the thing I never understood was the purpose of the switch in the control tower... all it seemed to do was deactivate a light that the wires also deactivated... even in Forge I couldn't figure out what significance it played in the mission. But it still works regardless!

Unless the programs have been juggling things up on me again, I believe the purpose of that switch was to flood the lower parts of the level, making the monsters down there unable to shoot. It also opens a door that connects one of the goo tubes to the really tall room adjacent to the area where you can come up from underneath the goal in the level, thus avoiding the security strip that sets off the really tough hoard of monsters. You kind of have to run through the level once without hitting the switch, then again with hitting it to notice the difference.
Axle_Gear

Return to Projects