Kill Them All, Volume III

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 2nd '09, 14:39

I don't think Kill Them All needs an introduction, but I'll do one anyway.

KTA is a collaborative single-player/co-op project wherein each level is at most 100 polygons. The focus is on bite-sized chunks of intense carnage; you start out every level completely empty-handed, and you must kill every monster and find the exit to proceed. It's a fun little collaboration because it's very easy to map for and there's not a lot of pressure.

The first KTA had 15 maps and the second one had 11. My objective is to take the maps gathered from this one and, rather than upload it as a third volume, bundle it with the previous 26 maps into one whole bloody affair.

Mapping for KTA is easy and fun, and the rules are simple enough:
1. Every map must have, at most, 100 polygons. And that means keep it short and sweet; don't try to stretch that into a full-sized map. Focus more on good level design and architecture in one or two spaces.
2. No custom physics, shapes, MML, or Lua. I'm just looking for regular Marathon Infinity settings. This is for the sake of consistency and simplicity.
3. Every map must be flagged Rebellion and Extermination. Do not use any other mission types, and stay away from other level types as well (especially vacuums, no vacuums). The Rebellion setting is so that each map is its own clean slate. Also make sure "Single Player" and "Multiplayer Co-operative" are flagged.
4. Every map must contain at least one Pattern Buffer.
5. Conclude each level with an Automatic Exit polygon. Just leave the destination level set at 1 and I'll figure it out when it's time to package it up.
6. Don't use any terminals or have any complicated sub-missions, switch hunts, or any of that nonsense. Keep it focused on the combat. If your level can't be finished in a few minutes (without dying) you're doing it wrong.

I would also advise using only one texture set. The first two KTAs had some truly gorgeous and nicely done levels, so it can be done for sure. Play the first two to get an idea of what I'm looking for.

This project is open to absolutely anyone, all you gotta do is make a map! Or more than one, if you like; the more, the merrier. Don't be afraid to try; the objective is to make something that's fun, and that doesn't take years of experience to do. Make your levels easy or hard, it doesn't matter, the scenario will be shuffled up by difficulty so just make what you want to make and we'll go from there.

We'll put the deadline at October 31; email your map (unmerged, please) to bolt0064@umn.edu by Halloween. My goal is to have at least 9 maps by then (35 in total), so with luck...

EDIT: The following is a list of all the maps and authors currently included, in order by author. As of 9/28, there are 36 maps.
An Open Mind ................................. Drictelt/II
Guns of Avalon ............................... Drictelt/III
Spirit of a Sponge ........................... Drictelt/II
Hunters Should Howl .......................... hangar96/II
Probed .......................................... Irons/I
As Embers Dress the Sky ..................... JohannesG/III
Emerald City Citizens .................. Kinetic Turtle/I
Like 10th Grade ........................ Kinetic Turtle/I
Tigger's Reason ........................ Kinetic Turtle/I
Zimbabwe XXVI .......................... Kinetic Turtle/I
Pagoda Panic .................................. Pfheil/III
A Warlike Feel ................................ RyokoTK/II
Battleaxe ..................................... RyokoTK/III
Champagne Bath ................................ RyokoTK/III
Fury .......................................... RyokoTK/III
King of the Mountain .......................... RyokoTK/I
Neptunia ...................................... RyokoTK/I
San Sebastian ................................. RyokoTK/II
Sweating Bullets .............................. RyokoTK/II
Supermassive Black Hole ....................... RyokoTK/I
The Mind-Killer ............................... RyokoTK/III
The Scythe .................................... RyokoTK/I
babylon basics .......................... screamingfool/I
blind paper dragon ...................... screamingfool/II
city of daggers ......................... screamingfool/II
distorting the code ..................... screamingfool/III
El Aparecido ............................ screamingfool/I
If I Had a KTA, I'd Make Somebody Pay ... screamingfool/II
minutiae rising ......................... screamingfool/II
real social skills ...................... screamingfool/I
the upwards march ....................... screamingfool/I
treason trigger ......................... screamingfool/I
Blunder Hill ............................ Shadowbreaker/I
Paratroopers ............................ Shadowbreaker/III
We Invented Fire ........................ Shadowbreaker/II
There and Back Again ..................... WastdJamacan/III
Last edited by RyokoTK on Sep 28th '09, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 14:47

oh and some design tips, speaking from experience:

1. Consider the monsters you're using. For example:
- Friendly guys, like Bobs and Defenders. Remember that you have to kill everything, including friendlies, in order to proceed. If you want to include these guys, put them in positions where they will get killed by enemies. Having to kill your own allies is kinda cheesy.
- Temperamental enemies, like Flickta, Compilers, and Cyborgs. These guys will turn on the Pfhor at the slightest provocation, so be careful where you put them. Mashing them with regular Pfhor will invariably make the battle easier because of all the infighting.
- Annoying enemies, like Tiny Pfhor, Drones, and Ticks. These guys are more irritating than challenging... maybe you should try to avoid using them.
- Boss enemies, like Juggernauts and Mothers of All Cyborgs/Hunters. Done right, these guys can be an exciting finale to your level. Done wrong, and it just seems like a waste of time as you dump all your ammo into trying to kill them. Think twice before including them.

2. The easiest way to get mileage out of your 100 polygons is to have a core section of your map that gets used multiple times. Some kind of big central space, for example, with other sections branching off of that. Keep repopulating that area with new batches of monsters to keep the excitement high.

3. Rechargers vs. health canisters. Rechargers tend to make your level easier, but running out of health canisters can work you into a corner. It's your call.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 15:01

RyokoTK wrote:The Rebellion setting is so that each map is its own clean slate.

And also because it's Kill Them All, not Kill All Aliens But Seven?

:D

I plan to enter, but I have to use Weland, so we'll see. Oct 31st will be a challenge :)
Last edited by treellama on Sep 2nd '09, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 2nd '09, 15:12

Yeah, that's the other reason.

Oh and some more design tips (I'm full of 'em):

1. No respawning enemies. When your objective is to kill everything, well... this one should be obvious.
2. Don't permanently seal off any area if it has monsters in it.
3. Respawning ammo is okay though, and a good way to ensure players don't screw themselves over.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 17:17

This a wine saturated brain that is talking, but I believe I have a meap for kill them all. I call it roadkill... you'll have it shortly.

goran

Post Sep 2nd '09, 17:36

RyokoTK wrote:2. Don't permanently seal off any area if it has monsters in it.

Are you planning on fixing that early level in KTA I where a door drops down behind you when you enter the room with all the teleporting enemies? In co-op it was always a race to get a teleport beacon down before some new player rushed in sealing the room before everyone else reached it and then dieing.

There were a bunch of places (one map in particular I think) in KTA II where double tapping a switch stuck a door in the closed position requiring a restart. There were a lot of problems with two players going for the switch at the same time, or triggering them with grenades while fighting.

In the KTA I map with the central square, two buildings on either side, and the jugg at the end it was possible to be trapped with the doors closed and unable to enter the building to get the key.

I think most of these problems only occur when playing co-op.

The second to last KTA I map didn't include a physics file so if you had a custom physics file selected in the environment there could be problems.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 2nd '09, 18:03

Yeah I intend to fix all of those little issues. I do believe I know the level in question, and iirc that door will eventually reopen.

KTA 1 and 2 both have a lot of bugs that cropped up in co-op because they were never intended to be played in that mode, and it was before Co-op.lua so it was never really a consideration. Those will be handled if I think to do it.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 19:16

If I remember, for the previous two KTAs I led by example and posted a map of my own. So, attached is the first KTA3 map, The Mind-Killer.

It's not merged at all, so be sure to use the appropriate Infinity physics.
Attachments
mindkiller.zip
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 19:58

Awesome, I had finally accepted that there would be no end to the "activate switch = monster" formula just before reaching the escape pad. Should that teleporter crash A1, btw?

Anyhow, thanks, that was fun :)
Last edited by effigy on Sep 2nd '09, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Sep 2nd '09, 22:24

That's funny. The exit teleporter sends you to a map number that doesn't exist, and for me it pops up a warning to the effect, but it doesn't actually crash A1.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 2nd '09, 23:51

Hmm...I struck that through when I realized that's probably what you had done with the map, and thought crashing must be normal for that; but I just restored my last save, which ends up being right before using the teleporter, and A1 didn't crash. Instead I got a message error 5. I had a windows dialog that mentioned a runtime error, but nothing in A1 logs. Owell, perhaps it was goofiness of the machine I was using at that time.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Sep 4th '09, 01:56

i drew a map design today during school. I'll create and upload by next week. I'm working on a net map, so it might take a while.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 4th '09, 06:02

I've still got that funny little Paratroopers map that for some reason didn't make it into KTA II. I could email it again.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Sep 4th '09, 11:19

I remember that, send it to me. I don't remember why it wasn't in KTA2, it was better than your other map.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 5th '09, 14:25

I will try to send a map for that, that would be the first map I made leaving my computer...

I already worked something out, but I am not really happy with the flow yet.
I am pretty busy right now, but next month I'll have plenty of time and nothing to do so...
irons wrote:
QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM)
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

Vladtepes
Nantes, France

Post Sep 6th '09, 23:25

Good, got shadowbreaker's map Paratroopers.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 10th '09, 01:02

Currently working on two maps, There and Back Again and A Hobbit's Tale. I know, the names are cheesy, but they go with the maps, so I took it. I began the first and am in the middle of designing the second on paper. Just a little status update.

Also, how do you make a polygon trigger a monster to teleport in? I know how to activate monsters in the map already, but not how to teleport them in.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 10th '09, 01:08

Invisible or Dual Monster Trigger. Invisible doesn't seem to work properly and functions like Dual (both visible and teleporting monsters are triggered).

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 10th '09, 01:09

It's been awhile since I've mapped anything but, I'm pretty sure all you have to do is use an "activate monster" poly with a blind/deaf monster who has the "teleports in" flag set.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Megaman

Post Sep 10th '09, 01:18

*facepalm*

The teleports in flag. Forgot all about it. Thanks both of you.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 10th '09, 01:48

I will see if I can do one. tonight.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Sep 10th '09, 11:08

lol noob Q here:
whats the difference between invisible and non invisible monster triggers?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 10th '09, 11:50

Visible monster trigger only activates non-teleporting monsters. Invisible and Dual trigger both.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 10th '09, 14:41

ok thanks
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 11th '09, 02:59

jesus, took me an hour and a half to balance the map, but There and Back Again is finished, besides texturing.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Next

Return to Projects