Kill Them All, Volume III

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 16th '09, 12:26

Obed will take the textures away from you even if you don't use Obed's visual mode? I know Forge won't panic about what you do as long as you stay in draw mode.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 16th '09, 12:59

It sets the textures to a number, and those numbers are saved when the sce2 file is created, if i'm not mistaken. so if you change something in VML, and load it in obed again, it reloads those numbers.

That's why when I texture I make sure the map is 110% complete.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 17th '09, 07:40

I made two maps, they both suck. Each is very nearly 100 polys, and they still feel cramped.
Not to mention I can't get teleporting monsters to work right.
I may not be able to participate as much as I'd like to.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Sep 17th '09, 09:44

Pfheil wrote:I made two maps, they both suck. Each is very nearly 100 polys, and they still feel cramped.
Not to mention I can't get teleporting monsters to work right.
I may not be able to participate as much as I'd like to.

In case if you haven't, experiment with zone borders, "deaf" and "blind monsters and monster triggers.

JohannesG

Post Sep 17th '09, 22:08

my map was a complete and total utter failure. i wont post it. i will not. i did learn how to do bridges tho, which was unavailable to me until i got forge working.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Sep 17th '09, 22:38

explain, or rather, show us how you got bridges.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 17th '09, 23:34

WastdJamacan wrote:explain, or rather, show us how you got bridges.

it was a spelling error. He meant he did learn how to do Bridget.

JohannesG

Post Sep 18th '09, 01:42

Oh, in that case, YOU MUST TELL US!
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 18th '09, 01:47

Taken from here:

Bridget runs long fingers down her hips and smooths out the silken hem of her white cheongsam which lies well above her knees. The white leather boots which conceal powerful calves are too new and the soles have not yet been scuffed...she keeps her feet planted on the elevator floor to avoid slipping. A milky thigh emerges from a short slit in the fabric as she steps cautiously onto the catwalk, making sure that both boots find purchase on the ivory tiles before continuing. She doublechecks that all three feet of her thin black hair is contained in the tight shiny bun, then heads down the hall.

She scans the bedroom and wonders how many people know that Ryoko's estate was built based on his original plans for the map Pagan Purity. He opted not to live in the traditional Administrator's residence so the press doesn't have the same rights to photograph it. In sharp contrast to the darkness and spartan decor is a brightly illuminated pool of shallow water and an onyx-framed black bed floating gently on its surface. She suppresses a wicked smile at the thought of how many times this holy font has been desecrated.

She sees Ryoko is mapping and grips the thin portfolio in her hand tightly knowing that she has to interrupt him. She deliberately walks up to the mahogany desk with heavy footsteps, which come naturally despite years spent perfecting a more delicate gait, in hopes that alerting him to the impending disturbance will mitigate his reaction.

"What is it," he asks in a normal tone with only a trace of annoyance. She relaxes a bit, walks around to the front of the desk and opens the portfolio.

"I apologize for the interruption, but there are a few matters that require your attention."

"Ok. Let's have it. But make it quick."

?I need authorization for seven more psuedonyms for this month's patent applications."

"Authorization granted. Sign them for me."

"Banque Pasche has requested a new password for the -1887 account."

"'Quoin'. Q-U-O-I-N. What else?"

"The plane landed just after eight this morning and they should be in position by nine."

"Will that be all?"

"One last thing," she hands him an thick report, "Boretower recorded someone named 'The Thug' posing as an administrator on the meta today."

Ryoko smirks and does not look at the report. "I know. Interior called me directly. W'rk is going to be beside himself for missing this debacle."

"Shall I have Thermoplyae draft a warrant?"

"That won't be necessary," he answers enigmatically while handing her the papers. She leans forward and tries to take them but he continues to hold on and gives the report a gentle tug back towards his seat. Ryoko is no longer interested in mapping.

The professional pretext for the meeting fulfilled, her anxiety dissipates and she laughs at the childish gesture. She lets go of the report and reaches up to remove her black amber hairsticks slowly one at time. She shakes the bun loose, walks around and hops backward onto of the desk, legs swinging expectedly in front of him.

She puts on her best Marilyn Monroe. "If you won't be needing me sirrrrrr, I'll be heading home for the night."

His smirk extends into a fullblown smile as he leans forward to place a warm hand on her knee, "That...won't be necessary."

Bridget exhales deeply through her nose and moans quietly. Ryoko makes her feel more like a woman than surgeons and estradiol ever could.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 18th '09, 01:49

Haha, I remember that. The Pfhorums Pfhan Pfhiction
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 18th '09, 02:45

im talking about the regular 5d space bridges. nothing special. i did figure that you could put a window in, and you could have the underside just look like a pier... but i did not do anything special.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Sep 18th '09, 06:06

OBED doesn't have many options for teleporting monsters. At least, not that I can seem to use.
When I set the monsters to "Invisible" and the poly they stand on to "Invisible Monster Trigger" it doesn't help.
As soon as they make eye contact with me, they teleport in.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 18th '09, 10:38

Pfheil wrote:OBED doesn't have many options for teleporting monsters. At least, not that I can seem to use.
When I set the monsters to "Invisible" and the poly they stand on to "Invisible Monster Trigger" it doesn't help.
As soon as they make eye contact with me, they teleport in.

That's because you are doing it wrong ;)

Take a look at this example map to see how zone borders and monster triggers work.
The strobing lava textured area are monster triggers, while the dark light textured area is a zone border that splits the map in two, so the first monster trigger won't affect the latter area.

PS: and remember to set the "deaf" and "blind" flags on each monster.
PSS: I've never used Obed for an obvious reason so I have no idea if Obed lacks these features.

[attachment=3046:Monster_...est.sceA.zip]
Attachments
Monster_Trigger_Test.sceA.zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by JohannesG on Sep 18th '09, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

JohannesG

Post Sep 18th '09, 12:37

Treellama and I discovered yesterday that "Invisible Monster Trigger" doesn't actually exist in the engine. It is functionally identical to "Dual Monster Trigger" (i.e. it activates visible and teleporting monsters). Perhaps that's where your difficulties lie.

edit: I can't read. If you want monsters to be triggered only by a trigger polygon, make sure they are flagged "Blind" and "Deaf." A blind monster won't trigger if he sees you; a deaf monster won't trigger if he hears anything.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Sep 18th '09, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 18th '09, 17:17

OK, here's my humble contribution.

It's not complete, but I did do my best with the monster triggers and the texturing. Visual Mode.lua is awesome! Thanks irons and Treellama!

PS: I'll understand if you say the map is crap. [MOh]
Attachments
Bridge_Over_Troubled_Blood.sceA.zip
(31.02 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 18th '09, 17:55

Please email it to me;
1) that was part of the submission criteria
2) it's where all my other submissions are and I don't want to lose track

My email is bolt0064@umn.edu

thanks!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 18th '09, 18:51

Well having played the map at least partway through, I can see some problems.

The key problem is that, since it exceeds 100 polygons, I have to disqualify it by default. That's kind of the guiding rule for the entire project. At 259 polygons this map is pretty much far too big to salvage for the project. (I hope you didn't think I wouldn't notice :P )

The good news is that the concept isn't inherently bad. The fighting was fine. The biggest fault in the map (aside from the polygon count of course) is pretty much the lack of effort in texturing or lighting. In fact I can't see any use of lights except light 0, and only a handful of textures, which really ruins the effect of all the nice circles you have. Marathon pretty much requires dramatic lighting shifts in order to highlight the architecture; no lighting means a dull, flat, and unbelievable map. The constant use of the one texture is unacceptable as well.

It's a decent start if you're just getting into mapping, no doubt! It just needs some love with the textures and lighting, and then the map would be playable. 'Course, for KTA, you'd have to start over anyway. Sorry!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 18th '09, 23:01

Up to 34 maps now, looks like I'll be hitting the 35-map goal pretty handily since September's only just half over. :)

Keep them coming guys, some of these have been quite good!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 19th '09, 01:28

I think I'm finished with kta maps. I ought to get back to improving my netmap skills. Perhaps, if you need me too, I'll try one more. These have been a good exercise.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 20th '09, 15:55

Just got a nice map from JohannesG, bringing the tally up to 35.

But of course there's still plenty of time for more!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 20th '09, 18:16

Johannes Gunnar wrote:That's because you are doing it wrong ;)

Take a look at this example map to see how zone borders and monster triggers work.
The strobing lava textured area are monster triggers, while the dark light textured area is a zone border that splits the map in two, so the first monster trigger won't affect the latter area.

PS: and remember to set the "deaf" and "blind" flags on each monster.
PSS: I've never used Obed for an obvious reason so I have no idea if Obed lacks these features.

[attachment=3046:Monster_...est.sceA.zip]

THAT was exactly the problem! Thank you sir, you are the genius of the hour. I may just have a map after all.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 28th '09, 19:09

PAGODA PANIC!
Cheesy map, cheesy name.
100polys, four editor tools, and I managed to screw up the new version of AlephOne.
[attachment=3105:Pagoda_Panic.zip]

There you go, I don't know if it makes the cut.
Attachments
Pagoda_Panic.zip
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 28th '09, 20:09

It does. Decent stuff, looks fine. Pretty easy, but that's okay.

Some of the items have a habit of teleporting in behind you, which makes it kind of goofy. I missed the shotguns entirely because of that.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 29th '09, 17:34

>> SHhhhh
The shotguns are supposed to be secret. I'm not sure if I did it right, but some of the monsters should only show up in co-operative matches.
The same was done for the Assault Rifles at one point, but I changed it cause it made the map look off center...
The difficulty was up and down when I was testing it. I could add more monsters and resend it if you'd like, but I wish TC didn't change monster stats like it does, because it is seriously inconsistent. And I feel guilty about making people fight against Major Invisible Compilers.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 29th '09, 17:58

The difficulty is fine. Yeah, the difference between Normal and TC is astronomical and something I'm not particularly fond of, especially when trying to balance more than one difficulty in a particular level.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects