Kill Them All, Volume III

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 29th '09, 21:29

Pfheil wrote:>> SHhhhh
The shotguns are supposed to be secret. I'm not sure if I did it right, but some of the monsters should only show up in co-operative matches.
The same was done for the Assault Rifles at one point, but I changed it cause it made the map look off center...
The difficulty was up and down when I was testing it. I could add more monsters and resend it if you'd like, but I wish TC didn't change monster stats like it does, because it is seriously inconsistent. And I feel guilty about making people fight against Major Invisible Compilers.

I thought it was completely reasonable on TC, if a bit cramped. I'm no master 'thoner and it only took me a few deaths to figure out all the different quirks and adapt. If anything I'd say it's a little under-powered on TC, given some of the other KTA I, II, and beta III maps I've played.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Sep 29th '09, 21:49

There's nothing wrong with a level being easier. KTA 1 and 2 have plenty of very hard levels.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 30th '09, 20:29

A friend of mine and I tried to run through both KTA games oncewe heard about them.
The first had some glitch where we'd always start on the last level(the good job one) when we tried playing online, and the second was incredibly hard.
When making PagodaPanic I wanted it to be easier, but I also didn't count on it being so small. I ballooned it out after a few playtests, but I was pretty much locked in at that point. The main room used to be half as wide. It was utter crap.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Sep 30th '09, 20:39

Pfheil wrote:A friend of mine and I tried to run through both KTA games oncewe heard about them.
The first had some glitch where we'd always start on the last level(the good job one) when we tried playing online, and the second was incredibly hard.

Try using this version if you're playing online. And you should use the Co-Op script if you haven't tried it. It lets you respawn so you can keep playing instead of starting over when you die.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 30th '09, 20:52

I'll give that version a try. We did have the co-op script, but it was still kind of hilarious. We would get killed,
and then a shit-ton of Major Troopers would puppy-guard our weapons so we couldn't do anything.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 30th '09, 20:56

Pfheil wrote:I'll give that version a try. We did have the co-op script, but it was still kind of hilarious. We would get killed,
and then a shit-ton of Major Troopers would puppy-guard our weapons so we couldn't do anything.

Unless they changed something, you should respawn with all the weapons and ammo you died with. You might start with fists, but press the next weapon key (or your scroll wheel) and something good should come up.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 30th '09, 21:58

Hmm, maybe I wasn't using the script. We could respawn, but no weapons.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 30th '09, 22:17

Pfheil wrote:Hmm, maybe I wasn't using the script. We could respawn, but no weapons.

http://fileball.bungie.org/index.php?optio...tdown&id=14
Image Image

interion

Post Oct 22nd '09, 17:26

Hey, Ryoko!
What's the status on this here comp.pack?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Oct 22nd '09, 17:47

Deadline is still the end of the month, right? Don't go ending early or anything. I'm starting my third map today and hope to have at least one usable map ready in time.
Image Image

interion

Post Oct 22nd '09, 19:22

Status is fine. There haven't been any submissions in a while and I've been working on Paradise Lost. The deadline is kind of the end of the month, but post-production won't wrap up most likely for a while so it's more of a suggestion not to start any maps after October 31. If you're already working on maps, finish them and send them to me when they're ready. I can wait.

Edit: but not forever. This isn't the MMR topic.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Oct 22nd '09, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 22nd '09, 20:03

MMMM that's good satire!
I'll maybe finish up the abortive second attemp at map.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Oct 30th '09, 01:02

Here you are, a second map by the un-inimitable me.

I was less than a quarter of the way done with this when I hit the 100poly count, so I had to budget myself a bit.
Has not been extensively play tested yet, but it should work, and hits the difficulty spot just about okay.
Last edited by Pfheil on Oct 30th '09, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Oct 30th '09, 07:36

I thought you were meant to email them?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 30th '09, 15:13

You are. Are my instructions that poorly worded?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 30th '09, 18:20

Is there any flexibility on the polygon limit? After taking a second pass through the geometry I was able to reduce my map to about 110 polygons. The next step would be to start removing some of the room detail and things like windows and doors that serve little functional purpose. I just wanted to check before I start ripping more out.

RyokoTK wrote:2. The easiest way to get mileage out of your 100 polygons is to have a core section of your map that gets used multiple times. Some kind of big central space, for example, with other sections branching off of that. Keep repopulating that area with new batches of monsters to keep the excitement high.

Are there any good guides or tutorials for this? I understand the basic polygon triggers and zone boarders from reading the Forge manual, but it doesn't seem obvious how to have multiple zones in the same central area and keep everything well separated.
Image Image

interion

Post Oct 30th '09, 18:44

There's no flexibility. 100 polygons is a pretty hard rule.

There isn't really a tutorial on it, I suppose that's just something you have to pick up on your own.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 30th '09, 22:06

I apologize, I guess I was confused because I posted my last map.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Oct 30th '09, 22:19

I played the map and would happily play it on its own again. Is there a rough release date collated for KTAtCM?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 30th '09, 23:38

What map now?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Oct 31st '09, 09:53

A very subtle abbreviation of Kill Them All the Completed Masterworks. I know, it doesn't look right? KTAtCM?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 31st '09, 17:30

Dugit wrote:A very subtle abbreviation of Kill Them All the Completed Masterworks. I know, it doesn't look right? KTAtCM?

KTA:TCM?

subtitles capitallize the initial letter of the first word
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Oct 31st '09, 17:54

Thanks.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 31st '09, 18:46

Tim wrote:Are there any good guides or tutorials for this? I understand the basic polygon triggers and zone boarders from reading the Forge manual, but it doesn't seem obvious how to have multiple zones in the same central area and keep everything well separated.

My suggestion would be to play through the first two installments of KTA and open the maps you like in forge and see how the battles were achieved. When i got the hang of it i found that i drew out my maps very differently than when i had no restraints - which was refreshing and carried over to my normal mapping.

screamingfool

Post Nov 3rd '09, 15:39

screamingfool wrote:My suggestion would be to play through the first two installments of KTA and open the maps you like in forge and see how the battles were achieved. When i got the hang of it i found that i drew out my maps very differently than when i had no restraints - which was refreshing and carried over to my normal mapping.

I should probably do that.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

PreviousNext

Return to Projects