3D weapon models

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 24th '09, 04:50

I see that it is possible to use models in game, what about weapons models with animations? I for some odd reason have most of the weapon models (in hand, and pickup) in Half-Life format. I can convert them to wavefront .obj easily. However I am none to good at scripting.
The image below is crappy however it gets the point across about what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Okay since A1 doesn't support first person models I have taken it upon myself to replace the item sprites with 3d models I have six finished already (in item models.zip). The fusion pistol, grenades and flame ammo have issues however they work just fine.
Attachments
item_models.zip
(205.99 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
models.zip
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Last edited by hawkeyefile on Sep 24th '09, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Yup, water, oreo's and pills. That's all a gamer needs.
Don't remember the user that said this, wish I could.

hawkeyefile
In front of my terminal debugging mainframes...

Post Sep 24th '09, 04:52

The model code doesn't work for weapons-in-hand for some reason.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 24th '09, 04:57

How about pickups?

hawkeyefile

Post Sep 24th '09, 04:58

I think those work, but without corresponding models for in-hand stuff, they would look pretty weird. Good luck.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 24th '09, 05:03

Thanks, can you point me in the direction for the mml code. I'm a bit rusty.

hawkeyefile

Post Sep 24th '09, 05:08

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 24th '09, 06:52

Great Scotland Yard! I never thought Hawkeyefile would return.

Seeing as how you've got these weapons in 3d, maybe you could make a few monsters while youre at it ;) 3d monsters are definately usable in A1, but no one has really had the time or the talent to make them...

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Sep 24th '09, 10:45

i must say that this is awesome.

also, say you can make this for all marathon weapons, IMO it would be very wicked with these and floating HUD
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 24th '09, 12:43

Don't get your hopes up, ppl. I'm afraid Hawkeyefile isn't the model's author and this proposal has been made before, I think also by hawkeyefile. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong ;)

nice gif, though..and wb hawkeyefile
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Sep 24th '09, 12:59

see this topic for nostalgia: http://pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&showt...ost&p=46260

the problem back then was that the weapon-in-hand models are not really complete - the back sides of the weapons have not been completed or are stretched proportionally to fit the fov of the player - which means, even if you get it to work in AO (which I strongly doubt because of irons above statement) you either have to use the exact same fov and animations or you have to give them a complete overhaul.

thedoctor45

Post Sep 24th '09, 13:11

I don't see any reason for in-hand weapons to be 3D anyway. You only ever see them from one angle, so why not pre-render super high polygon count versions?

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/weapon-enhancement-pack

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 24th '09, 17:21

thedoctor45 wrote:see this topic for nostalgia: http://pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&showt...ost&p=46260

the problem back then was that the weapon-in-hand models are not really complete - the back sides of the weapons have not been completed or are stretched proportionally to fit the fov of the player - which means, even if you get it to work in AO (which I strongly doubt because of irons above statement) you either have to use the exact same fov and animations or you have to give them a complete overhaul.

Sadly true. But at least I can work on the pickup objects. The zip file I uploaded has some of them models, even a player model.

Treellama wrote:I don't see any reason for in-hand weapons to be 3D anyway. You only ever see them from one angle, so why not pre-render super high polygon count versions?

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/weapon-enhancement-pack

Because 5 frames is boring and so 1996.
Last edited by hawkeyefile on Sep 24th '09, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyefile

Post Sep 24th '09, 17:26

hawkeyefile wrote:Because 5 frames is boring and so 1996.

Where did I say 5 frames?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 24th '09, 18:18

with texture

no texture

Well I ran into a snag, the way these models are setup is to have about 5 different textures for the one model. I don't really have the experience to remap the model in milkshape (but I'll learn damn-it). The "textured" model only has one texture assigned to it.
and here is my code
If anyone can help me out this would be awesome, because so far I've converted all the models to wavefront and they view fine with all of the textures in milkshape.
Code: Select all
<marathon>
<opengl>
<model coll="7" seq="1" file="test/Fusion.obj" type="wave" scale="15" x_rot="100" y_rot="0" z_rot="0"
 x_shift="0" y_shift="0" z_shift="0" side="0" norm_split="1" light_type="0">
<skin clut="-1" normal_image="test//w_fusionside.png"/>
</model>
</opengl>
</marathon>

Alright I just got through with compiling everything in wavefront. Not all of the models use more than one texture, so this make my life easier.
Last edited by hawkeyefile on Sep 24th '09, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyefile

Post Sep 24th '09, 18:19

Treellama wrote:Where did I say 5 frames?

You didn't, but the SMG has 5 frames. That's where I got it from and so does the shotgun in Duke Nukem 3d.

hawkeyefile

Return to Projects